W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 10:36

Terre wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 10:02
Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 18. Nov 21, 08:07
It was suggested earlier Microsoft's upgrade path might be starting with the most recent machines, but I've a 10th gen I7, less than a year old, and am still waiting.
It's as simple as waiting for the offer of changing from 10 to 11, just let them come to you. :)

There is their pchealthcheck app, which my machine defences will not allow to run, available, you can give that a go, see what it says.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ealthcheck
After advice from Vertigo7, a while ago, I did enable TPM and ran the healthcheck from Microsoft, and my machine is ready for Win11.

I'm hoping the clever people at Microsoft will ensure any vulnerabilities will be addressed, thus minimising the risk. But I guess it can never be eliminated. - I'm comfortable with that.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 02:46

Boo! Change! New stuff! Boo!

Think that about covers it.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 19:21

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:
Wed, 24. Nov 21, 02:46
Boo! Change! New stuff! Boo!

Think that about covers it.
Has there been a version of OS that has not generated that response?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 19:39

... or their various 'feature updates'? :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:41

with the current component shortage i think it's completelty bonkers to force ~4-5 year old machines into obsolescence. (a decision which will bite MS in the ass at some point, think heavy fines)

plenty of easy workarounds to be found.

TPM is complete nonsense
min. gen 8 CPU is nonsense.

running w11 on a gen.1 i7-860 / 8GB ram (pure out of spite) running completely fine since Oct 5th.

upgrade prompt gives you a final warning for the machine "being out of spec", no warranty etc.. and then procedes with the upgrade as normal.

possibly a quite a different story for gaming, but writing off i7 7700K's ? thats just laugable.

MORE ELECTRONICS FOR THE TRASHHEAP!!!111oneoneone. - Microsoft probably
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 17:18

Tempest wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 14:41
with the current component shortage i think it's completelty bonkers to force ~4-5 year old machines into obsolescence. (a decision which will bite MS in the ass at some point, think heavy fines)
Not really, a few months ago I sold my 9 year old laptop, that I updated to win10 2 years ago.

2-3 year old machines are Win11 compactibile and Win10 is supported till 2025 - even then, Win10 will work, just no more updates and possibly still some security updates will be still provided (I assume many people will stay with Win10 for long, just like many stayed with Win7).

With all that greedy corporate shit these days, it seem MS kinda nailed resonable and gradual approach.

Unless something bonkers happens (like invasion of Taiwan and destruction of chip factories), most of people should have no problem updating by 2025.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 23:35

Edge updates, continuing a pattern of being really annoying about a generally fine browser:
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... into-edge/ Microsoft are integrating a short-term loan service into Edge.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/12 ... le-chrome/ Edge is now showing nag popups when you try and download Chrome with it.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 17:47

Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22509 fix some more bits.

The other day I was wondering what could be holding up the offer to move to 11. I checked my motherboards, all AM4, manufacturers website support page for Windows 11 drivers, on each of the boards I checked there were no Realtek audio drivers listed, Windows 10 - yes, but 11 - no, may be chip dependent.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 18:47

I've decided to put W11 on my smaller, crappier laptop just to have a play around. Means I have to use the registry hack because its CPU (Pentium N3710) doesn't meet the requirements, but it's not like I use that machine for anything much important so it doesn't matter if this completely messes it up.

[EDIT] Well, that didn't work, got an installation error and it's reverted to Windows 10. Probably something to do with the machine not meeting the graphics card requirements or something like that, because a bit of research suggests W11 requires a DX12 compatible graphics solution, and I don't think the integrated Intel HD 405 in my CPU does support that.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 17. Dec 21, 20:29

Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22523 (Dec. 15th.)

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... ild-22523/

Another batch of fixes.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 10:11

Really feeling like the poor relation now. I wants W11, so I does, but they won't give it me. - My PC is ready, I am ready, and yet still I wait. - The TL;DR on the W11 update says that the preview build is for all ARM64 machines. I guess in the small print somewhere, it says 'with the exception of Gavrushka.'

Why they so mean to me? :cry:

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 11:00

@ Gav: The odd thing is that anyone can order a new build of almost any price or complexity with Win11 preinstalled and so I doubt that there is any really strict prioritisation (system or region) going on for upgrades. Maybe they've only got to A to F usernames in your area so far? :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 11:46

Looking at some of the fixes for the insider build, I'm sitting happy that the auto update for the release candidate not getting round to me :D, not before XMas anyway, I'l stick with a stable Win 10 for now because it will take ages before those insider builds become stable enough to be released as a general public release. MS shot themselves in the foot with the aggressive push of Win 10, otherwise I would have been happy to beta test 11. I'll be happy to receive Win 11 now when they get it to a good state this time round.

Good to see they are fixing a bug with the task bar allignment on the left, sounds like they have changed their minds about not allowing us to re-position it 8).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 12:02

I have Win11 on the new laptop I bought recently, and I *could* install it on my main gaming PC if I chose, but nothing else I've got will run it, even if I use the Registry hack to make it ignore CPU compatibility. I find it slightly annoying that you have to right-click the Start button in order to get the option to run Task Manager, unlike Win10 where anywhere on the taskbar would do, but otherwise haven't really noticed anything particularly different about it.

Oh, one thing: anyone who's using a laptop with Intel built-in graphics and is running Win11, make sure you update your graphics driver--there was a bug in versions 27-odd upward that caused a memory leak in DWM.EXE, mine was using over 2Gb of RAM when I noticed the problem!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 14:26

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 11:00
@ Gav: The odd thing is that anyone can order a new build of almost any price or complexity with Win11 preinstalled and so I doubt that there is any really strict prioritisation (system or region) going on for upgrades. Maybe they've only got to A to F usernames in your area so far? :D
*Googles Deed poll name change*

Henceforth I'm Aaron the Aardvark...

I've a feeling it's because TPM wasn't initially activated on my PC, and this is Microsoft's way of punishing me for my miscreancy.

And isn't it just human nature to want something all the more just because you're told you can't have it? :gruebel:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 16:09

I actually just got the big blue "You're ready to upgrade to Win11!" when I turned my desktop PC on earlier, so I went ahead and did it. It's been ready for some time, as you can tell because you have an update icon in the taskbar that has a *blue* dot on it (as opposed to the normal yellow one for regular updates), though. Did take an absolute age to log in first time, hope that isn't going to be a problem going forward.

Regarding TPM, even after I enabled that my system kept telling me it *couldn't* be upgraded--it sorted itself out and allowed the upgrade after a few days without me changing anything, though!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:44

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 16:09
I actually just got the big blue "You're ready to upgrade to Win11!" when I turned my desktop PC on earlier, so I went ahead and did it. It's been ready for some time, as you can tell because you have an update icon in the taskbar that has a *blue* dot on it (as opposed to the normal yellow one for regular updates), though. Did take an absolute age to log in first time, hope that isn't going to be a problem going forward.

Regarding TPM, even after I enabled that my system kept telling me it *couldn't* be upgraded--it sorted itself out and allowed the upgrade after a few days without me changing anything, though!
What sound drivers does your system use? are there any windows11 versions available?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 20:16

Terre wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:44
What sound drivers does your system use? are there any windows11 versions available?
It's just the High Definition Audio Device built into the AMD chipset on my motherboard, AFAIK. Says it's using a Microsoft driver from June, no idea if that's Windows 11 specific or if it's the same one it was using on Win10, sorry.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 20:39

Gotta ask, what's the attraction of switching to Win11 ?

Not seeing anything significant, not to me at least, at all,
'keeping up with the latest' is not really a good enough reason.

Why bother, apart from the time limitation on support for Win 10 (supposedly 'the last version of Win').
2025, so if I upgrade hardware compatibility in that time frame what's the point of trying to do it now ?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 21:35

Well, why not? It doesn't actually hurt to be on the new version, does it?

Return to “Off Topic English”