W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 10. May 23, 18:38

Windows comes with Windows Defender by default, its part of Windows Security.

Windows Defender used to be MSSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), which itself used to be Webroot AntiSpyware/antimalware. Microsoft bought Webroots App because it was so good and integrated well with windows, and rebranded it as Microsoft Security Essentials. At that time Windows had their own Defender, but after a while of developing MSSE they decided it was better than their own Defender .. So rebranded MSSE as Windows Defender (and got rid of their old defender), and included it with windows which it has been ever since, as part of the Windows Security suite of protection measures.

Other antimalware vendors didn't like that, because a) it was just as good as any of their paid for crap, and b) would be included for free in Windows, undermining the individual vendors profits once everyone realised how good Defender now is. But it was never given any fanfare (I think so that MS didn't get any anti-competetive lawsuits from people like Norton/Kaspersky etcetera). There was a bit of press crossfire at the time where other Antimalware vendors were trying to downplay Windows Defender, and a lot of fans of individual vendors saying it wasn't as good as Norton or whatever they believed in after years of good service.

Anytime I get a new laptop now, first thing I do is uninstall any sponsored antimalware (which are usually heavy on the system, and dont really get along well with windows itself because they have to be so intrusive), go into Security and turn on Windows Defender again (which the sponsored antimalware will have turned off when it was installed by the people selling the machine).
Beyond that I just stick to a few basic rules, never use pr0n or piracy/w4rez sites, always use a good DNS server like Quad9 to filter out all the bad crap on the internet and prevent me connecting with it in the first place, never click links in emails, and anything downloaded .. pass it through Virustotal first (I mean the moment it lands on my machine Windows Defender gives it a scan, but its good to have a second opinion with Virustotals online scan using many different engines) before running it.

My thoughts about buying antimalware these days are we dont need it. Malware is so very advanced now if it gets on your machine it will run rings around anything you have installed which will not be able to detect it .. So why pay for antimalware when Defender (and your own good habits) will protect you from the same, if its going to get on your machine because of bad online habits the only way to get rid is to do a complete clean install of windows which wipes clean the hard drive in the process.
Also consider this .. Microsoft use their own Enterprise version of Windows Defender to protect their own internal infrastructure. Thats good enough for me :)

You should only have one Windows Security Icon in the system tray. If you want to do a virus scan just click the Security shield, and then go into Virus & Threat protection where you can access further options for Full scans etcetera. Click Scan Options, thats where you can choose a Full scan, but if you have doubts about your system choose the "Microsoft Defender Antivirus (offline scan)", this does a clean boot and executes Defenders best system scan before windows loads, then reboots to bring up windows again. The idea being anything installed at a low level to evade anything loaded by windows detecting it, is now not so well hidden by the system itself, and easier to eradicate by Defender. Screenshot -> https://i.imgur.com/4AU4sQK.png

How you ended up with two icons idk :gruebel:

Windows also has another malware scanner which is maybe not widely known, but it does sneaky periodic quick scans as it conducts windows update installations, but never does an automatic full scan.
Click Start, and type in mrt .. When you see it listed choose run as administrator, screenshot -> https://i.imgur.com/rYG9G7V.png . Then you can choose what type of scan it does when you go through its options, as another second opinion of your system to Windows Defender.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Wed, 10. May 23, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. May 23, 19:22

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Wed, 10. May 23, 18:38
How you ended up with two icons idk :gruebel:
That's what I wonder myself.

Yesterday with some udated, separate Windows Defender poped up on my Application list along with regular Windows security icon.

What is interesting, that new Defender icon say I need Office 365 subscription and doesn't show anything else.

In my Application list Microsoft Defender can be uninstalled, while Windows Security can't.

I never had Defender listed as separate application, so it made me wonder if it's some kind of update screw-up.

I do have some Office 365 applliation installed, but no subscription, so maybe this is the reason for this separate Defender poping-out?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... -worldwide

I'm seriously concerned with increasign amount of bloatware Windows 11 installs without any questions or notifications.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 10. May 23, 19:47

Ah right, it probably is a part of MS Office 365, but Windows Defender (part of Windows Security) is the same thing, maybe the installation has added an additional Icon where it was not necessary. Edit: Oh wait "Microsoft Defender for Office 365 is a seamless integration into your Office 365", so it looks like its tailored to MS Office in ways I do not understand :| .

Not sure, MS Office is something else I avoid ..
LibreOffice does everything MS Office can do https://www.libreoffice.org/
It used to be OpenOffice, but a lot of the developers didn't like the direction its leader at the time was taking them, so did their own fork of the project to become LibreOffice, which no longer needs Java installed.
MS Word = LibreOffice Writer
MS Excel = LibreOffice Calc
MS Powerpoint = LibreOffice Impress ..
Plus a few others. The only thing LibreOffice does not have an equivalent of is MS Outlook, so I use Mozilla Thunderbird instead.
Any equivalent program in LibreOffice can load all the file formats MS Office can.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 10. May 23, 20:03

Just another thought .. It could also have been triggered by an OOBE script (Out Of The Box Experience), part of your systems setup by the people who made your computer which would have been sponsored by Microsoft to try and get MS Office on your system ..
.. Or it could these days very well be Windows itself advertising other Microsoft products to try, Windows 11 just like Windows 10 is free, so it now does stuff like this to try and get more money out of us, plus all the customer data gathering and Bing implementations it does, sigh!

If you are worried it may be malware just go to Security, choose Virus & Threat Protection, Scan Options, and then choose "Microsoft Defender Antivirus (offline scan)"
And then follow that up after your system reboots with an MRT scan (I edited my first post a bit just before your post so you may have missed a few bits)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 10. May 23, 20:28

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 10. May 23, 19:22
In my Application list Microsoft Defender can be uninstalled, while Windows Security can't.
I would imagine if you uninstalled Microsoft Defender you would be fine, as Windows Security already includes its own Windows Defender and cant be uninstalled.
If you uninstall it, just make sure Windows Defender becomes enabled again afterwards in Windows Security.
I do have some Office 365 applliation installed, but no subscription, so maybe this is the reason for this separate Defender poping-out?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... -worldwide
Yes I think thats what has triggered this installation of Microsoft Defender.
Your choice but personally I would uninstall whatever Office 365 apps/suite you have installed, and install LibreOffice instead (I linked it in a previous post).
I'm seriously concerned with increasign amount of bloatware Windows 11 installs without any questions or notifications.
Yes, and so say all of us.

I would much rather buy Windows, especially an LTS (Long Term Stable) version .. But alas they wont allow non-enterprise customers to buy LTS versions.

Seeker of Sohnen.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 30. May 23, 12:50

Can someone help with how to switch off / configure widget to be less spammy?

It started as a weather widget that was OK and useful, but now the damn thing spam everything from currency ratings, stock market, roads open/close, random news.

What is worse it pings with useless information (e.g. currency rising) like every 10 minutes or so.

I just want a damn weather and nothing more.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 30. May 23, 13:11

Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Widgets -> Off

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 30. May 23, 13:30

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 13:11
Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Widgets -> Off
That's my last resort - I still want to have weather widget, but nothing else.

In widget settings I see two options
Notification badges - on/off
Show announcements - on/off

I think notification badges are those pings that there is some kind of important message.
Announcement might be those rolling info about everything.

I guess I'll try to turn those two off to see if I'll just get a weather updated.

Edit:
Seem like turning off those two brings back the widget to what I wanted - to display and update only the weather icon on task bar.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 31. May 23, 01:10

You want to know a better way to keep updated on the weather.
Spoiler
Show
Look out your window. :D
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 31. May 23, 07:21

Funny thing is that once again, the main problem was that somehow, Windows localication language made setting options really ambiguous and unclear.

I had to find an english screenshot of widget setting, to actually understand what is the difference between notification and announcement and why they have separate button :)

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 31. May 23, 20:54

If you are in the UK I just bookmark/favourite the Met Office website, and get the weather forecast from the source (where everyone else websites/apps/widgets all get their information from).

Microsoft can poke their invasive bright ideas shovelware where the sun dont shine.

I know I get these widget things are probably more convenient than having to click a bookmark, but you give MS an inch and they take a mile.

Recently "Do you want to turn on non-security updates" Sod off!, do your own beta testing on your own people and stop buggering up the OS with spyware/market research/data gathering ideas. I really wish we could buy the OS again and not be subjected to this friggin freeware push :rant:

.. :D, sorry I just like once in a while to have a public poke at M$, because these days they suck. My last bought Windows Licence was Windows 7, best OS they ever did, and then Win 10 was aggressively pushed on top of our paid for product with no other options. Followed by Win 11 (even though Win 10 was supposed to be the last windows, forever after updated, buuuuullsheeeeet!). White man speak with forked tongue. I just want to stamp on them with a Monty Python sized foot stomp stomp stompety stomp.

Thats better, nice bit of cathartic MS bashing does the world of good, going to round it off with a gin.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 31. May 23, 22:18

I wasn't sure if it was worthy of posting this as Microsoft know a few of us have it, but it's gone on for a little too long for me now. I have a security alert (as a result of an update) which states 'Local Security Protection is Off'. If you click on the 'Go to settings' button below the alert, you're met with the popup 'Page not available - The Page you are trying to access has no supported features and is not available.'

Should I just sit back, relax and wait for Microsoft to sort it, or is there any kind of (simple) remedial action I can take?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 14:48

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 31. May 23, 22:18
I wasn't sure if it was worthy of posting this as Microsoft know a few of us have it, but it's gone on for a little too long for me now. I have a security alert (as a result of an update) which states 'Local Security Protection is Off'. If you click on the 'Go to settings' button below the alert, you're met with the popup 'Page not available - The Page you are trying to access has no supported features and is not available.'

Should I just sit back, relax and wait for Microsoft to sort it, or is there any kind of (simple) remedial action I can take?
If you are happy using the registry editor I have a solution,
Just be very careful you do not edit/change anything else, regedit can really mess up your windows installation ..

Click Start, then start typing regedit - Then click the run as administrator
You need to dig down expanding the keys - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
Click to highlight LSA, and in the right hand window you should see RunAsPPL and RunAsPPLBoot
(If not, create new DWORDs for each with those names).
The value for each of these should be set at 2
https://i.imgur.com/58nahDl.png
Reboot your machine and all should be good.

MS should get round to fixing this themselves one day, but it seems these days security issues are not number 1 priority, they still have some pretty serious issues which were reported to them 6 months ago but have yet to see a fix for them. They just dont care anymore, no competition, they have switched to the public doing most of their beta testing with the free OS and dont need to support a huge amount of their own testers anymore = Stuff doesnt have expert eyes on as much as they used to.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:08

That's all a bit scary, but I'll give it a go when I'm feeling a little braver.

I mean, what's the worse that could happen if I get it wrong? (Best not tell me... )

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:18

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:08
That's all a bit scary, but I'll give it a go when I'm feeling a little braver.

I mean, what's the worse that could happen if I get it wrong? (Best not tell me... )
:D Its mostly safe, just dont go deleting/editing other registry keys accidently.

If you do not have those two (RunAsPPL and RunAsPPLBoot), you can right click the right hand pane and choose New \ DWORD to create a new Registry key ..
https://i.imgur.com/aW6PDRX.png

If you do have them, just double click them and you will be able to edit the Value to 2
https://i.imgur.com/Bc7Sggk.png

Seeker of Sohnen.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:53

If you are going to play with the registry, remember to do a system restore before doing it, at the very least you should always do a registry backup before starting to play with it.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 10:10

Yeah, perhaps it's best to wait for Microsoft to sort it out, or perhaps I'll call a local expert. I don't have a great track record with computers...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 02:49

After a couple of updates, including a cumulative one, the issue with 'Local Security Authority' is still flagged as an issue that leads to a blank page when you try to resolve.

I tried booting into the firmware settings thingy, and checked the option (I am sure it was called LSA) and it is enabled, so I assume the error is a false flag? - This is the security thingy that you needed for Win11 to work on your PC, yes?

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 08:53

For your understanding here's a good description of it all ..
https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/04/1 ... indows-11/

Unfortunately the only fix is whats already been mentioned, the registry edits ..
However at the above link, scroll down a bit and you will find a Powershell Command that will do both edits for you.

So basicly you go to Start, find Powershell and right click it to open it as Administrator.
Then copy the whole of the following command ..

Code: Select all

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa /v RunAsPPL /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f;reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa /v RunAsPPLBoot /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f;
.. and paste it into the Powershell and press return.
Reboot afterwards.

That Powershell command does both registry edits, RunAsPPL and RunAsPPLBoot, and ensures both have a DWord value of 2.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 09:44

Now that looks like something I can manage, thank you! - And I've a spare I7 PC, just in case! :D

Will give it a try this evening.

Return to “Off Topic English”