W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 16:09

I actually just got the big blue "You're ready to upgrade to Win11!" when I turned my desktop PC on earlier, so I went ahead and did it. It's been ready for some time, as you can tell because you have an update icon in the taskbar that has a *blue* dot on it (as opposed to the normal yellow one for regular updates), though. Did take an absolute age to log in first time, hope that isn't going to be a problem going forward.

Regarding TPM, even after I enabled that my system kept telling me it *couldn't* be upgraded--it sorted itself out and allowed the upgrade after a few days without me changing anything, though!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:44

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 16:09
I actually just got the big blue "You're ready to upgrade to Win11!" when I turned my desktop PC on earlier, so I went ahead and did it. It's been ready for some time, as you can tell because you have an update icon in the taskbar that has a *blue* dot on it (as opposed to the normal yellow one for regular updates), though. Did take an absolute age to log in first time, hope that isn't going to be a problem going forward.

Regarding TPM, even after I enabled that my system kept telling me it *couldn't* be upgraded--it sorted itself out and allowed the upgrade after a few days without me changing anything, though!
What sound drivers does your system use? are there any windows11 versions available?
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 20:16

Terre wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:44
What sound drivers does your system use? are there any windows11 versions available?
It's just the High Definition Audio Device built into the AMD chipset on my motherboard, AFAIK. Says it's using a Microsoft driver from June, no idea if that's Windows 11 specific or if it's the same one it was using on Win10, sorry.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 20:39

Gotta ask, what's the attraction of switching to Win11 ?

Not seeing anything significant, not to me at least, at all,
'keeping up with the latest' is not really a good enough reason.

Why bother, apart from the time limitation on support for Win 10 (supposedly 'the last version of Win').
2025, so if I upgrade hardware compatibility in that time frame what's the point of trying to do it now ?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 21:35

Well, why not? It doesn't actually hurt to be on the new version, does it?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 03:59

exogenesis wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 20:39
Well, if you want something that can have performance and visual impacts on your gaming, dx12 ultimate and a proper implementation of HDR are some pretty hefty perks for a free upgrade.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 07:55

exogenesis wrote:

For some reason, this made me think of the quote on the X4 Load screen.
Napoleon Boneparte wrote:You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her decks? I have no time for such nonsense.
And I'm chuckling remembering the oldish dude on here who hated the idea of Steam as a platform for gaming so much that he changed his sig to 'Only steam I want is coming out of my kettle.' Thing is, people who object to changes, refusing to accept it is a natural progression, usually end up on the wrong side of history...

...With the exception of Betamax, the alternative to HDTV (I can't even remember its name) and a few others, I am sure. - I don't think there have been many failures of innovation where a product has simply evolved into its next iteration, especially where there isn't a serious commercial competitor.

And despite my enthusiasm, I *still* don't have the option to upgrade... :evil:
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 09:11

I assume you've run the Microsoft tool to confirm your system is ready for the upgrade, Gavrushka?

[EDIT] Just checked, if you want to *force* install of Windows 11 you can do that--just go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows11

Download the "Windows 11 Installation Assistant" at the top and that will do the job for you.
Last edited by pjknibbs on Sun, 19. Dec 21, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 11:45

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 19. Dec 21, 03:59
exogenesis wrote:
Well, if you want something that can have performance and visual impacts on your gaming, dx12 ultimate and a proper implementation of HDR are some pretty hefty perks for a free upgrade.
Hmmm, good as an update for general gamers then ?

Since X-series are the only games I've played in the last decade,
guess I'll stick to my old rig...can't see a reason to spend out on new hardware,
just for minor 'improvements' in the Windows UI
(unless I suddenly get the urge at some point in the next 4 years).

There's really no other good reason(s) to get enthused for Win11 adoption ?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 11:54

If you need to purchase new hardware to get Win11 and you're not much of a gamer then obviously no, there probably isn't much reason to upgrade. I certainly aren't going to put it on any of the PCs I have that are not W11 ready, nor will I go out and replace those machines "just because" when they do a perfectly good job as they are. I bought the new laptop primarily to have a portable machine I can reasonably game on, which neither of my existing laptops could, the fact it came with W11 installed wasn't a factor in the decision.

Maybe when hardware capable of running Windows 11 becomes cheap on the second hand market I'll consider upgrading my work PC--at the moment the old Dell Optiplexes and the like you can get for £150 are running 4th generation Intel chips, so it'll be a while yet before that happens.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 12:47

Indeed. There is no urgent reason to replace W10 with W11. If you like vanilla icecream, then why "upgrade" to eating liquorice flavoured icecream simply because shops now carry that too? Lets check again, when vanilla runs out.

Obviously, if you do buy a new machine and need an OS for it, then you choose freely from what is available.
Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 19. Dec 21, 07:55
Thing is, people who object to changes, refusing to accept it is a natural progression, usually end up on the wrong side of history...
Replacing MS Windows with OSX or Linux would be a change, wouldn't it? (Alas, Windows is cheaper than either of those ...)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 05:02

exogenesis wrote:
Sun, 19. Dec 21, 11:45
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 19. Dec 21, 03:59
exogenesis wrote:
Hmmm, good as an update for general gamers then ?

Since X-series are the only games I've played in the last decade,
guess I'll stick to my old rig...can't see a reason to spend out on new hardware,
just for minor 'improvements' in the Windows UI
(unless I suddenly get the urge at some point in the next 4 years).

There's really no other good reason(s) to get enthused for Win11 adoption ?
I can't say what reasons you may or may not have for upgrading without knowing what it is you use PCs for. Regardless, the future of Windows is currently Windows 11. Accept it or don't, that will be the only supported desktop version of Windows in a few years. The choice is yours to prepare for it or not.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 09:12

If it's OK yoda :D I'll go for option C
Not yet, wait until it's neccessary

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 19:19

Just noticed something slightly annoying. In Windows 10, a folder icon would show a preview of its contents, e.g. the thumbnails for the first few items in the folder would be shown as part of the actual icon. This feature, as far as I can tell, has been entirely removed from Windows 11, and I have no idea why because I found it rather useful--enables you to see at a glance what a folder contains.

One other thing, it's also possible to revert the W11 feature whereby right-click menus in Explorer only have a few options, meaning you often have to click twice where you'd only need to click once in its predecessor--requires a Registry hack, but I now have the old W10 style "show everything all the time" right-click menus which I vastly prefer.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 19:58

With another long list of fixes in preview build 22538.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... ild-22538/

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 09:06

I've allowed my Windows10 machine to install Windowws11.

The Start menu picks and chooses when it will open or stay open long enough for me to type anything.
Unable to select any of the recommended files on the start menu, when it remains open long enough.
The search on the Start Menu does not work, that's when it remains open long enough for me to typing anything.
The windows defender Firewall refuses to start and keeps throwing a notification at me.
In the File Explorer window, I am unable to select any of the recent file.

That's not bad for the first hour of use, rolling back is looking like the preferred option.

I've rolled back to 10, 11 is just far to broken.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 11:57

Don't have any of those problems on my machine I updated to 11, or on the laptop that came with it pre-installed...

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 12:09

Upon my next reboot it started to download and install 11 again, following my second roll-back I paused the download and used a reg hack to stop it re-installing, I hope that works.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 12:55

not having those problems either on either one of my machines and a VM.
rebellionpac.com

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 26. Jan 22, 17:48

Just updated to 11 on another pc, worked seamlessly.

It may be worthwhile having a google of your device (i.e. type) and bios updates, or Win 11 update issues? You may find some with something similar, or not at all. Worth a try if not already done so?

Return to “Off Topic English”