W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 10:17

Interesting - I had same issue with Local Security fail to enable on both my Win11 laptops.

However I decided to ignore it - now after some updates, I don't even see this option/slited in my Defender menu anymore.

Everything seem to be listed green and OK, but I have no idea what is the status of that Local Security stuff - did MS fix it or just hide it - no idea :)

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 15:16

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 16. Jun 23, 09:44
Now that looks like something I can manage, thank you! - And I've a spare I7 PC, just in case! :D

Will give it a try this evening.
:thumb_up:
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 17. Jun 23, 20:56

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 16. Jun 23, 15:16
Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 16. Jun 23, 09:44
Now that looks like something I can manage, thank you! - And I've a spare I7 PC, just in case! :D

Will give it a try this evening.
:thumb_up:
Woot, it worked! Of course, I had to find powershell, then had to work out which of the three powershells to use. LOL.

But cheers, the warning is now gone.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 11:31

Cumulative update preview (KB5027303) has done a bit of work for gamers
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... e13fdf278b
"New! This update improves your computer’s performance when you use a mouse that has a high report rate for gaming. To learn more, see “Reduced game stutter with high report rate mice” in Delivering Delightful Performance for More Than One Billion Users Worldwide."
There's a lot of "New!" items in this update, which kind of made me want to shy away from it (more things to go wrong from the MS bright ideas club), but actually the update went smoothly and I cant find anything intrusive, but thats probably due to me having everything in the Privacy section of settings set to off :D

Anyway yes TL:DR - Game Lag caused by Mouse High Report Rate is now solved.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 01:27

Just a heads up:

If you have a Default Browser setup which is not MS Edge (ie you use Brave or Googles Chrome or Firefox) .. A recent Win 11 update for me added Edge to my Startup Apps.

Easy to turn off in Settings, Apps, Startups .. But puzzling as I have set Brave as my default browser.
Why would MS think a user with another browser set as default, needs Edge also starting up with windows ???.

They also added a new thing to our Task Bar, Copilot.
This is a new AI app, I think it replaces what Cortana used to do, and has far more reaching implications.
Its being touted as capable of increasing our productivity .. Hmm, thanks for that MS but I dont work in an office. I just play games on my PC.
This is also easy to switch off, Settings / Personalisation / Taskbar. Well I think its easy to switch off, if you havent started it and let its setup scripts loose.

MS Bright Ideas club at it again. :roll:

Seeker of Sohnen.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 08:54

Glad you let me know. I was just updating when I read this. :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 09:07

Recently, I noticed that Windows 11 likes to change settings for it's applications on its own :(

I found out that somehow, for over a year, Snipping Tool was automaticaly saving and storing my screenshots independently from me saving or not in different foder.

A few days ago it changed notepad setting from "save normally" (aka in the same tab), to saving in separate tab...and opening the older one (WTF? why it is so convoluded?).

Many months ago I recall it changed monitor power down / power saving setting to shorter as well.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38

Aparently Microsoft shut down an option to free update Win7/8 to Win10/11 in September 2023.

Free update from W10 to W11 is still available.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 16:38

I should have said at the time but in the end I did make the leap from Windows 10 to Windows 11, wasn't exactly easy because of the hoops I had to jump through. To fulfill the "secure boot" requirement I purchased a 1TB M.2 drive which would hold my OS, cloned my main disk to it and converted its partitions. I had to determine which of the three recovery partitions I needed to keep and got rid of the other two at which point the conversion succeeded.

Before I could actually install Windows 11 I had to fulfill the other requirement, that of Trusted Platform Module (TPM), the good news was that the motherboard I had was TPM compatible and had a port for it, the bad news was that the chip itself (the size of an average postage stamp) is sold separately. Fortunately, the manufacturer also makes them and the chip was only £10, so upgrading had to wait a few days until it arrived. In the meantime, Windows 10 ran perfectly on the new drive until the TPM arrived and I made the upgrade. After all the difficulty in getting there, the upgrading itself was a cakewalk.

So I managed to get a working W11 installation on the WD M.2 SSD, and the Sandisk which the OS was on before is relegated to storage, though it still contains a Windows 10 install Being an SSD itself startup times were already fast enough that I didn't notice any difference, both the Sandisk and Western Digital were top of their respective ranges, I paid extra for that! :mrgreen:

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 09:27

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38
Aparently Microsoft shut down an option to free update Win7/8 to Win10/11 in September 2023.

I noticed this win10 to 11 upgrade option when I updated the BIOS last week.

Should I just shift from 10 to 11 now?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 10:11

Ormac wrote:
Sat, 7. Oct 23, 09:27
A few months ago, I updated both my laptops from Win10 to Win11.

My feedback is that if you meet the hardware requirements and like Win10, there is no reason not to upgrade to Win11 - it's just more polished and updated Win10 - with all it ups and downs.
It will take you like a week, to get accustom to GUI changes, but after you get used to it, it nice.
A month ago I had to do some stuff on my sister laptop with Win10 still on it, it felt horrible, I totally fogot Win10 GUI :)

There is also one reason why you should upgrade eventually - Microsoft will stop support Win10 in 2025.
Win12 will be release soon, so eventually they will block Win10 to Win11 upgrade as well.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 10:19

Ormac wrote:
Sat, 7. Oct 23, 09:27
I'd describe it as "mostly OK". The majority of the usability annoyances that made it a pain to use are now at least optionally solved, but the Start menu is still irritatingly, and pointlessly, less functional than the one in Win10. Other than that, it seems fine.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 13:09

I agree upgrading is always a good move with windows, even if in the short term there are changes you dont like they either get refined in due course or we find ways around them .. The most important thing is security of windows, if you get left behind one day its inevitable something will compromise an old bug and you end up having to get a new OS and/or machine anyway. So holding off is sort of shooting yourself in the foot.
These days Microsoft seem to be a bit lax or dont care about fixing some zero day exploits etcetera, but do get round to them eventually. So take what you can from them.
Also memory management and technical advancements are not obvious just looking at a desktop, but over the years they are happening in the background, so its not just about rounded corners on windows :)

As much as I hate Microsofts monopoly and some of the decisions they make, I would only ever hold back on upgrading for a few months.
I'm still salivating at the trap gates to completely change over to Linux, I just need to be completely happy the games I like are not a problem, when that day comes I will drop windows like a sack of bricks.

@Linux enthusiasts : I know of all the more recent advancements with Proton etcetera, but when I see someone online saying "Oh yes under x distro to fix that problem with NVidia xxxx then run this batch of commands" .. See then you get an OS update which finds something unexpected and you have to re-install everything to be sure you havent messed up something technical in Linux. I dont want to be there again, I have experienced similar before when I was dual booting UBuntu and Win 7.

Seeker of Sohnen.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 14:51

I have not seen W11 yet. It will inevitably show up at work, although I do use Linux there so it won't be direct hurt/bless. At home, on latest build from last Summer -- a AMD 7800X3D system -- I did turn the TPM off in the EFI.

On every OS there are things the user can and cannot do. Those that can be done are either easy or hard. Online has plenty of outdated and/or erroneus "information".

Youngman

Post by Youngman » Sun, 8. Oct 23, 15:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38

Aha!...thanks for that information. I'm thinking about upgrading my 'second' computer's hardware shortly (hopefully). I have genuine copy's of Win 10 home, one for each computer.
I've upgraded from Win 10 on the first computer to Win 11, bit of a performance initially but managed it in the end! :roll:
Anyway, hopefully the hardware and OS (Win 11) upgrades with the second computer should be a little easier. :-D

Oldman :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 18. Dec 23, 10:45

I got an issue that 23H2 update is no longer visible in my Windows update section (it dissapeared during one of regular small updates and 100% did not installed by accident).

This solution doesn't work :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-oFXhNX4o

Return to “Off Topic English”