W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 01:41

Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 13. Oct 22, 20:16
To make the jump to Windows 11 I need to make the Secure Boot requirement, and to do that means converting my file system to the GUID Partition Table format, and my SSD failed the "validation" part which means I can't go to GPT with it. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these and copying/moving the OS onto that, though I'm not sure how I can migrate my system to it and convert the file system from NTFS to GPT.
You seem to be confusing file systems with partition layouts there? NTFS is how a single partition on the drive would be formatted, whereas GPT/GUID is the partition table format--your main Windows partition remains NTFS even with Secure Boot enabled. Does this article help with regard to converting it?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enab ... windows-11

Never heard of this SSD Validation thing, but if you definitely need to move the OS onto a new one, this might help--it's talking about transferring from a spinning rust drive to an SSD, but the process should work exactly the same:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/copy-your- ... -to-an-ssd

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 03:36

Yeah, I last looked into this a few months ago and had forgotten some of the details, I meant convert from MBR to GPT. The validation thing was step 9:
"Type the following command to validate that the drive meets the requirements and press Enter: mbr2gpt /validate". As I recall last time I tried this, the validation failed. And because my motherboard has a slot for an M.2 drive but currently runs off a more traditional Sandisk SSD, it made sense to run a Windows 11 installation off the new disk and relegate the old one to regular storage.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 06:31

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 13. Oct 22, 19:08
Terre wrote:
Thu, 13. Oct 22, 19:04
Following the 22H2 update, I've noticed that my start up screen hangs for about five seconds before I'm able to log in.
Is it every time, or just first log in after the update?
I always see longer log in time for first log in after update.
Every time.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 08:47

Terre wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 06:31
Every time.
Try running the Win11 intergriy check and fix/clean-up:

Sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Sometimes it might be that update/installation fail on something non-critically, so running those two in PowerShell (run as administrator) might fix it.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 13:52

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 08:47
Terre wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 06:31
Every time.
Try running the Win11 intergriy check and fix/clean-up:

Sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Sometimes it might be that update/installation fail on something non-critically, so running those two in PowerShell (run as administrator) might fix it.
Sadly nothing has changed, I'll just have to get used to waiting 5 seconds to log in, but thanks for the advice, I'll give them another go in a few days, see if anything has changed.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 15:12

Terre wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 13:52
Sadly nothing has changed, I'll just have to get used to waiting 5 seconds to log in, but thanks for the advice, I'll give them another go in a few days, see if anything has changed.
Then it might be a hardware (e.g. some old external device plug in that take a bit to load?) or more probably driver issue (I think most of drivers load in the background somewhere around when login screen appear).

Unfortunately it's like a needle in a haystack to find which one it could be.

You could browse for my post a page or two ago where you can have a .txt export list of all drivers with last update dates - maybe you can try to update or delete the really old ones to see if it helps?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 15:25

@ Terre: My opinion is that it might indeed be a device driver issue as well. After the Win11 22H2 update my laptop was made to download several device driver updates through Windows Update that turned out not to be suitable for that laptop and actually broke some device operations. I had to roll back drivers and reconfigure the devices to get the laptop back to full operation with 22H2. Windows Update is still cranky about it! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 15:59

Ahh, the dreadful windows driver update.

When it automatically and without the warning update my integrated GPU drivers and the sceen goes black for 2 seconds and have "device disconecting/connecting" beep - it always gives me micro heart attack - ALWAYS!

Not to mention something might go wrong with the update - I had once issues with touchpad drivers update (had to uninstall and install drivers again manually) or my sound completely sutting down (I had randomly found a fix as a screenshot picture in some random tukrish IT forum, where I had to go into some deep sound setting menu, tick one tickbox, restart and it fixed the sound).

Since those, I always have a bit anxiety every driver update and windows update.

Albeit I commend Microsoft for reducing the amount of updates in last year and I welcome changing from biyearly major update to yearly.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 15. Oct 22, 01:08

I've noticed that odd pause before being able to log in on one of my machines running 22H2, a gaming laptop with dual graphics chips in it, but no other issues to report on there, and the delay on logging in isn't bad enough for me to bother doing additional research into what it might be.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 17. Oct 22, 07:28

Is it me, or did Microsoft removed start-up music once again?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 17. Oct 22, 19:09

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 17. Oct 22, 07:28
Is it me, or did Microsoft removed start-up music once again?
I had to go into the sound setting and disable it, as the update messed with my settings, so no, it's still there.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 17. Oct 22, 21:51

One thing I've just noticed, and it's very irritating, is Office 365 seems to have updated and reset a mass of the grammar/proofing settings. - It may seem like a trivial thing, but it's a nightmare to go through the massive lists of proofing tools and work out which should remain active, and which should be deactivated.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 17. Oct 22, 22:01

Something useful that I discovered if you have updated to Win11 22H2 and have seen Windows Update, device driver and perhaps other issues after a declared 'successful' series of updates. I was having all sorts of compulsory unwanted/incorrect (even damaging) device driver download and installation issues after 22H2 until I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter from the Windows Update 'Help' screen and since running that (let it run as it can take a while) all the unwanted updates are gone and I am 'Up to Date' again. :)

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 1. Mar 23, 23:04

I allowed the "2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022913)" to install and it broke TranslucentTB.

The first thing had to do, following the update, was to remove the search from my taskbar, which magically appeared following the restart, so they've been playing with that, which I'm guessing stopped TranslucentTB from working

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 08:14

Ugh, once again some Defender issues

This time device restart LSA Protection Error- possibly one of these will fix it, but I haven't tried it yet (probably will try it sooner or later, coz yellow defender icon aggrevate me much):
https://www.howto-connect.com/fix-this- ... n-windows/

What is strange, I only have this LSA option in Defender only in one of my laptops.
The other one, depite having Win11, doesn't have this LSA in Defender.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 08:43

Update KB5022913 has apparently broken a number of third party visual customisation apt's.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... 029msgdesc

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. May 23, 07:34

Hi,
I have a new issues - somehow Microsoft Defender got installed along Standard Windows Security.

Windows Security working fine as usual, but now I have two shield icons and Microsoft Defender pop-up to log in (and saying you need to be Subscribed to Microsoft 365).

Now I wonder is this some kind of MS screw-up?
I didn't browse questionable sites, so MS Defender seem legit.

Can I uninstall MS Defender and just leave Windows Security (only Defender can be uninstalled in apps)? or should I log and run Defender along Windows Security?

I'm quite confused.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 10. May 23, 14:01

@ mr.WHO : See if this helps you to understand the details.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. May 23, 14:18

Huh...so I guess I always had Defender disabled and I mistook Windows Security for Defender?
WIndows Security always shown me everything green and OK.

Does it mean I should have two shield icons in W11 tray bar? One for Defender and one for Windows Security?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 10. May 23, 14:52

Yeah, I have two icons: one for Windows Security and one for Norton. I usually arrange it that they are both in 'Show Hidden Icons' and not on permanent show. They still pop up in notifications at the front if there is an issue (usually to do with time since last check or update, etc) and the icon now has an exclamation mark.

Return to “Off Topic English”