Android memory question.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Android memory question.

Post by greypanther » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 13:10

I am getting fed up of not being able to transfer much to the SD card in my Android tablets. I have however seen several apps that claim to make this easy, however, some say these are not safe and root the tablet. Is this so?

What is the point of claiming that the memory is expandable, with a SD card, then make it nigh on impossible to transfer stuff? Ah, profitssss. :( ( Just get that bigger more expensive tablet, we are no better than Apple, nor cheaper. )

I am beginning to seriously consider Apple, at least they are upfront about cost and specs... :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Android memory question.

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 14:02

I once had an Android tablet (Samsung) I used for reading texts, papers, books when underway.

I simply copied the files (pdfs mostly) onto the card which I plugged into the pc via a card reader. So I didn't need any additional apps except for the built in pdf reader. Is that not an option ?

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 14:24

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 16. Jun 21, 14:02
I once had an Android tablet (Samsung) I used for reading texts, papers, books when underway.

I simply copied the files (pdfs mostly) onto the card which I plugged into the pc via a card reader. So I didn't need any additional apps except for the built in pdf reader. Is that not an option ?
I don't know, is it an option? Never even considered it. :oops:
Can all the files still be read via the tablet? How about films and audio? What about some of the larger apps?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 14:43

It should be, yes.

The formats it can reproduce depend on the players/readers that are installed. I didn't watch videos/films, not even used it for emails or writing, just read things from my fields of interest or did some surfing with the built-in browser. If you have any special formats you might have to enable or install additional products/add-ons/spy-/bloatware to play them, you probably just have to try out what it understands.

I stopped using it after a few years when the battery got weak. Never replaced it.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 15:10

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 16. Jun 21, 14:43
It should be, yes.

The formats it can reproduce depend on the players/readers that are installed. I didn't watch videos/films, not even used it for emails or writing, just read things from my fields of interest or did some surfing with the built-in browser. If you have any special formats you might have to enable or install additional products/add-ons/spy-/bloatware to play them, you probably just have to try out what it understands.

I stopped using it after a few years when the battery got weak. Never replaced it.
Thank you, I will have to experiment. :)

I want/need to use one though, because it is hard to plug a PC in when wild camping! :D ( Not that I have had much chance to do that recently... )
I have also read that it is possible to replace a tablet battery, not that my several years old Sony needs it yet. Which would have been better, if I knew that before buying a replacement tablet, as the first signs started to show. :roll:

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 19:50

One thing I just thought of, the file system.

A Windows PC may have problems reading the card because I believe Android uses the good old ext 4 filesystem. It is FOSS and well documented, but Windows may just out of principle not be able or willing to read and write them. So, if you get an error, or can't see anything on the card when plugged into a windows pc, this may be the reason.

There shouldn't be a problem with a Linux pc, though.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”