PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR at Egosoft.com

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreez
x4

PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR at Egosoft.com

Post by Dreez » Fri, 28. May 21, 16:41

Been using this site forever, never downloaded any apps and always used the same browser - Mozilla.
But yesterday just 2 minutes after i was typing a post, and i tried opening the site again (i shut down mozilla)
i was greeted with this message .

PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Like i said, i haven't installed any apps, nore visited any malware sites, i don't use a firewall or router,
and i just cleared my entire cache of cookies on my browser.
But i still can't login to this site using Mozilla and i'm making this post by logging in with Chrome.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue ?.

/Edit. Ok this is weird. First when i tried logging onto this site using Chrome, i was told that my pw had been comprimized and
that i needed to create a new pw quickly. But i didn't buy into that because i'm rather paranoid when i suddenly get this message...from a popup window.
So i closed down Chrome, openend it up and logged in again, without issues and made this post..

I then tried something new. On my Mozilla browser i clicked on the "home" icon which brought me to the page with the 6 most visited sites,
and i clicked on Egosoft.com , and it brought me to the site without any issues or any message of - PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR .

I also logged in without issues. So .... i don't know wtf just happened :? :lol: :sceptic: .
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR at Egosoft.com

Post by CBJ » Fri, 28. May 21, 17:02

All of those symptoms suggest a problem at your end. Both the error message and the password popup suggest that you may have something unpleasant on your PC, or intercepting your browsing, and I would suggest taking a very careful look at your system and your network.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 29. May 21, 17:42

See if this helps

https://appuals.com/pr-connect-reset-error/

some AV's like ESET have protocol filtering, basically the AV blocks the default certificate from FF and sends it own. This can lead some websites giving you the above error. Anyway, check the link out and see if the soklutions work for you.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 30. May 21, 03:56

That is a horribly invasive web site, if you clicked on the accept for the cookies I would advise that you clear your cookies from your computer after visiting the website and never going back to it. There are plenty of other websites that give the same information and advice as the one linked, but are not going to spy on you afterwords, just do a search for PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR.

To put it plainly though, this is a problem with Firefox and some piece of other software on your computer, it could be your AV, Firewall, VPN or something else altogether, for example the Honey pricing app is known to cause the issue. I get it sometimes on the BBC website normally reloading the page sorts it out if it doesn't changing the VPN server normally works. I did get it though the other night for Egosoft and I could not figure out what was causing it, the next day everything was back to normal. As you found out though using another browser will sort the issue out.

If you want another browser, I recommend using Iron Browser instead of Google chrome, it's still google chrome but without any of the google spyware. Anyway, PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR has nothing to do with anything unpleasant on your computer, it's actually just Firefox being overly protective.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 30. May 21, 12:10

felter wrote:
Sun, 30. May 21, 03:56
Anyway, PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR has nothing to do with anything unpleasant on your computer, it's actually just Firefox being overly protective.
? "Being overly protective" is really not true. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR is just a TCP connection reset by peer error - i.e. it's received a TCP RST packet. This can happen if the remote server forcibly terminates the connection, but it can also happen if there's some sort of proxy in the way which is dropping connections for some reason (hence the references to AV products which run TLS proxies, and to malware which might do the same to read your TLS traffic for malicious reasons), and it's also how some large-scale filtering tools like some ISP illegal content blacklists and the Great Firewall drop connections they don't like.

I was unable to reach the Egosoft site a couple of nights ago as well, so given a few people have reported it I suspect it was just something at the datacentre/Egosoft end having a temporary issue.

Re the compromised password popup, Chrome's password manager does check for that so that may also have been legitimate. You can check for compromised credentials at Have I Been Pwned (it is safe to put passwords into this site, it does some clever things to ensure you're not just sending them your passwords!).
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Sun, 30. May 21, 14:55

Indeed, the forums were down a few days ago.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 31. May 21, 20:06

I was being more tongue in cheek than actual literal, I was just saying it was not a security issue that the cause was another reason, one or more of many.

That site that Mathew linked is actually breaking the law, I thought it was at the time but I wasn't 100% sure then but now I am. They do not give you an easy option to refuse their tracking cookies, which is not allowed under GDPR rules, which the UK is still part of. The website has to give that option now as a legal requirement. They seem to think that just telling you that they are using them and that there is an option hidden away to say no is enough, but it's not.

NOYB (none of your business) privacy group are starting legal challenges against those websites that try to confuse people into accepting their cookies, trying tocircumnavigate the law.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 31. May 21, 21:43

I read that article earlier, and I heartily approve of the action that group are taking. Some companies still aren't complying with the rules as they stand, and others are deliberately making it harder and harder to just say "no" (I'm looking at you, sites using that extra new "legitimate interest" setting). There needs to be a single, global way of opting out of all advertising cookies, or better still just ban the damned things altogether. The claim that it in any way benefits the end user to have "relevant" advertising is utter garbage; the only people that benefits are the advertisers.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 31. May 21, 23:06

Stupid question maybe, but why has no one come up with an add on, to stop the damn things? They seem to have come up with ways to stop most adverts...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 31. May 21, 23:11

You can block cookies in your browser settings, but if you do it too enthusiastically then you can lose real functionality, such as remembering logins and settings.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 31. May 21, 23:56

There is a cookie warning filter list for AdBlock and the like. If you're using AdBlock Plus, there's a "block cookie warnings" option in the settings that turns it on. For other plugins, the filter list is https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/abp/

In my experience it's a bit hit and miss, but better than not using it.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 1. Jun 21, 16:31

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 31. May 21, 23:11
You can block cookies in your browser settings, but if you do it too enthusiastically then you can lose real functionality, such as remembering logins and settings.
I know, but as you and red say, it can affect functionality and other methods are very hit and miss. It really should be simpler. I have visited many sites where they make it impossible to use the site, unless you accept some cookies.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 11:13

I can't remember if it was Oath or something (basically my old AOL email was bought by some company, and then their popup appeared). If you expanded the list, you had to opt out of each individually... and there were 400+ as I counted them while clicking. They changed to include a de-select all but then it vanished again. Stopped using a browser to access email at that point...

Modern day cookie questions with "legitimate interest" are just as annoying and entirely misleading/lies. Some are simple, you can opt out of all with a click. Others hide things or have it "load on demand" (i.e. as you scroll down it'll load more of the list). Often the numbers of those companies can be thousands. Also found that you can find the first displayed ones are unselected, but about half the remaining list that loads on demand are selected. Sneaky. Likewise, hide under several tabs, hoping you don't check...

Think a few of the "information" sites are the worst (the type of sites that appear when you're asking PC related question of Google search). Expanding their options indefinite time and there was no select all option and thousands of various companies with "legitimate interests". I just close the window now instead of proceeding. Either that, or load a different browser with everything set to blocked / clear on exit.

Remembered I thought something about cookies was going through EU or UK regulatory bodies again as no longer being fit for purpose, only to find Google was going to implement blocking of third party cookies (following Mozilla Firefox and Safari?) but was coming up against anti competitive legal challenges by marketers.

me_priya

Post by me_priya » Tue, 19. Mar 24, 03:32

The "PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR" typically occurs due to an issue with the website's SSL/TLS configuration or firewall settings. It could be related to your antivirus software or other security measures on your system.

Before adding an exception, you may want to try the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article: https://sslinsights.com/fix-pr-connect- ... n-firefox/

Return to “Off Topic English”