Soo.. i had a dream.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreez
x4

Soo.. i had a dream.

Post by Dreez » Thu, 27. May 21, 19:32

It was about a game and i was playing it. In the game you could fly ships and dock in stations, exit the ship
and do missions in the stations, mostly shoot-to-kill missions.
I was flying a type of heavy fighter/mini corvette and i was bored, so i decided to dock at a station
and do some mission and i ended up just going in shooting.

The stations existed in different status, some stations were considered derelict or low status /junkyards /outlaw-ish
while other stations has higher status like tradehubs. Each station also had a variety of missions either on a digital missionboard
or from some shady dudes in the bar, or a trader looking for help in the docks to get their hands on some ... items.

The stations were pretty much an open area with a "safe zone" controlled by whatever "law" or security that existed on the station
while outside the "safezone" , the areas were open, like the open pvp-dungeon in DAoC, but there's no pvp, only player vs AI.
These zones also had different difficulties on them and were meant for players with better gear.

I remember in the dream i decided to just enter one of these unsafe zones that was rather hard, and see how far i could go,
and my friend soon joined me in a group. Right at the start there was a huge open area that took 2 paths.
Junk, pipes and trash was all over the place like a not-so-highstatus station would be expected to have, and there was groups of
enemies almost directly from the start so we decided to engage from a distance and go the right patch and see where it took us.
I had been on this station before and had the feeling i had been at this precise location before, but died because i wasn't geared enough.

Now.. i've played EVE Online, X3, XR, X4, and Mass Effect 1&2 .. So maybe these contributed in some form to the dream.
But this was a game i'd love to play IRL . It was like Cyberpunk+Spacesim .

Maybe a future SC (in 20+ years when it opens).
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Chips
x4

Re: Soo.. i had a dream.

Post by Chips » Thu, 27. May 21, 21:00

Some of that brings some nostalgia for Freelancer :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 27. May 21, 21:15

Did you enter God-Mode? You know, when you realise in a dream that you are in fact dreaming and so can somewhat control the flow and freely do things that aren't supposed to happen without consequences?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 27. May 21, 23:12

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 27. May 21, 21:15
Did you enter God-Mode? You know, when you realise in a dream that you are in fact dreaming and so can somewhat control the flow and freely do things that aren't supposed to happen without consequences?
Is that's what it's called? And different than Lucid dreaming? (serious question!)
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 28. May 21, 08:26

With Lucid Dreaming you can alter or outright exit the 'story' being played out in your dream.

I can do it. When I was younger I used to have dreams with lots of derelict huge buildings in them, but they were rarely anything but background, never in the nights actual dream, so occasionally I'd pop out of the dream to go explore them while my dream carried on. I could even find windows sometimes to look out and see it happening, depending on what the story was that night.

Or I'd just spend the time doing something else. I still do it, but these days I just tweak the dream so it's a story I'm actually interested in.

What I can't do any more, but could when I was really young, as in six to ten, was decide what my dream would be about then take control of it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 28. May 21, 11:52

I called it God-Mode because he was playing a computer game in his dream.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 28. May 21, 13:54

I can Lucid Dream as well. While it was more powerful when I was younger. It became my escape from reality. When I was younger, I joined the Enterprise crew (next gen) and travelled to the Babylon 5 universe as well. In a way I did become a god. Powerful telepath / empath with super powerful telekinesis on top. (I do have a good chunk of some of the story written down) But while powerful, my actions drew unwanted attention, made many enemies. I even lost the woman who I loved. I then became bitter, I went over my limits, and well, it went darker once I gained access to the Force. (Darkside)

That became my longest dream, I did have another before that one, but that since has left my mind. My memory isn't as good as once was. But still, I have one dream currently working, I do reboots once I feel I have reached my limits, and take over the role of children or a fresh person who will take the torch and carry on with the work. I have lost count of how many dreams I have had now. But my later dreams, I am no god, but I try and walk on the side of the light. (not an easy task) Some of them have the Force, some have telekinesis.

My current dream has my main character named as "Space Marine". (warhammer 40K) and can transform into a super human (needs another person to complete the transformation process) I find it easy to do reboots as sometimes, my mind can create too many characters, it becomes difficult to remember them all.

So yeah, from those hints, you know where I get my ideas from. But from time to time, I can use fresh ideas and new story lines and can control the outcome, or left things control themselves. My only regret is, I really wish I did become this person who is in my head. Has a way more interesting life then I will ever have. :cry:
=

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 28. May 21, 18:41

I did try writing one of my more interesting controlled dreams (also SF inspired) as a book, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't capture it in words, since it turned out that what appeared to be entertaining in dream form made no sense when I wrote it down.
Dreams don't need a back story. Books can get away without having them too, but only so far, and I found I just didn't have an in universe way to explain most of what the reader was experiencing.

Given how much work it took to do this writing down I wasn't too happy at the time, but I've since been able to slot some of it into the universe I've been working on for several decades and give them an appropriate reason to exist.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 29. May 21, 01:23

Dreez wrote:
Thu, 27. May 21, 19:32
..dream..
Sounds like a cool dream. Also sounds like you've been playing aa awful lot of X before bedtime :)

I had a Star Wars dream once when I was a whippersnapper. All I remember about it was that the blaster sound effects were SPOT ON!

Never managed proper lucid dreaming but I did used to regularly have flying dreams. They were great, more a series of parabolic bounces (often bouncing off nothing) than actually flying but great anyway.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 29. May 21, 08:24

I always thought Lucid dreaming simply mean you are aware that you're in a dream? The stuffs you guys are talking about seem to be ... pretty high level, control and manipulate dream and such. :o

I don't often have Lucid dreaming, except during the grieving period after my mother passed away. A lot of those dreams were wishful scenarios as if she would still be alive, yet in those dreams I'm aware of the 'contradiction" that she already passed away so I knew they weren't real. In fact, I vividly remember telling myself in that dream "please don't wake up from this dream". I ... think there is a few instances I had the ability of "wind back time", like reload a save in a game to an earlier period in order to stop her from dying. In those dreams while I can "reload", I was never able to change the outcome.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 29. May 21, 11:21

To my suprise, when I dream about X4, 90% of my dreams are about station walking and 10% are about exploration of new sectors.

The paradox is that these are my least frequent actions when I actually play X4.

My favorite dream was when I was inside Terran habitation module - kudos to whoever designed it, to the point it induce dreams :)

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 29. May 21, 13:44

I wrote this on the old mad goner forum, (now de-funked) as there wass a member who was interested in my dream. It was hard to put into words some of the dream, also there was usually a delay to when I started writing.

The start of it is very messy, and doesn't make a lot of sense. But later as I continued, I talked in first person, and also as if I'm writing journal. (as if I was re remembering what had happened. ) Also at that time, and still is, writing isn't my focus, or I have problems with trying to write it down in a good way. Also before that, I was told by a English teacher that my written work was complete shit. (I took extra adult courses to help improve my english and maths. for the English teacher one week it was, my work was good, next week my work was shit and she didn't do a very good job on explaining why.

It was only when I joined FACTS to continue the written RGP story that started here on these forums. only later did my written work improve, and some people thought my work was pretty good. So in my mind set, I always felt my work was bad. Anyway, If anyone wants to read the story, its here.

www.matthewfarmery.net/dream/MydreamV2.rar

I have gone back to edit it a few times, also it in Open office document format. (openoffice is free to download and use) (I don't know if MS word can open the format, it probably can but as I dont have that, I cant say for sure.

Be advised, its pretty long, and breaks off in a bit of a cliff hanger, and I never had the chance too finish it. Sadly, I can't really do that level of detail anymore, Buut back when, I could, and my dream kept me going where nothing else could.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”