Chrome books?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Chrome books?

Post by greypanther » Wed, 26. May 21, 15:28

I have been considering a replacement for my tablet for quite some while, came across these, but know so little about them, other than there is a huge choice in what to get. They seem a decent alternative to a tablet, allowing me to stay with Android but, I have questions please:

1) Are they decent build quality?
2) Can you replace the battery, as none will last forever?
3) How realistic is the quoted battery life?
4) Better than a tablet/laptop or not?
5) Any recommendations as to which one?

Thank you. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

mrbadger
x3tc

Re: Chrome books?

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 26. May 21, 17:10

Rarely
Almost certainly not
Likely pretty close, since you can't run anything much on them
This entirely depends on what you want to use it for.
Nothing cheap, they all have to fit the same basic spec, so it's down to keyboard and screen quality. Those can so easily be garbage. My university have been handing these out to students for years. I've yet to see a good one.
I did own one I thought was good, for a while at least, certainly cost me more than most were selling for, and I thought the keyboard was ok. The battery life certainly was. However I soon got fed up with the limitations of the whole Chromebook concept and bought a Macbook Air instead.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 31. May 21, 23:04

mrbadger wrote:
Wed, 26. May 21, 17:10
Rarely
Almost certainly not
Likely pretty close, since you can't run anything much on them
This entirely depends on what you want to use it for.
Nothing cheap, they all have to fit the same basic spec, so it's down to keyboard and screen quality. Those can so easily be garbage. My university have been handing these out to students for years. I've yet to see a good one.
I did own one I thought was good, for a while at least, certainly cost me more than most were selling for, and I thought the keyboard was ok. The battery life certainly was. However I soon got fed up with the limitations of the whole Chromebook concept and bought a Macbook Air instead.
Thank you mrbadger. Useful and much as I feared: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Ah well back to the drawing board. ( Unless Sony start producing Tablets again. :roll: )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 2. Jun 21, 00:09

mrbadger wrote:
Wed, 26. May 21, 17:10
During the last year think to remote working and learning, most of the time when something doesn't work for someone it's because it's a Chrome book.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 11. Jun 21, 02:58

They are good for web-surfing while sitting on the couch drinking coffee or the like. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I prefer a bigger screen than my phone has and a proper keyboard. I wouldn't use them much beyond that sort of thing.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 11. Jun 21, 08:01

Observe wrote:
Fri, 11. Jun 21, 02:58
They are good for web-surfing while sitting on the couch drinking coffee or the like. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I prefer a bigger screen than my phone has and a proper keyboard. I wouldn't use them much beyond that sort of thing.
You could get a cheap Windows laptop that would do the same job, though, it's not like web surfing is really any different on a Chromebook.

Return to “Off Topic English”