Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 12:21

I hope you're feeling better soon !

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 15:28

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 18. Oct 21, 12:01
Wow, I feel absolutely miserable today. Went to bed at 6pm last night shivering, and didn't get up until 5:30am. This is by far and away the worst chemo down I've had.
But it was hopefully the last you'll have to endure. Could be the chemo has snaffled the last of the cancer, and for an encore decided to give you a farewell punch in the guts.

Here's to feeling better soon!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 22. Oct 21, 11:04

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 18. Oct 21, 12:01
Wow, I feel absolutely miserable today. Went to bed at 6pm last night shivering, and didn't get up until 5:30am. This is by far and away the worst chemo down I've had.
Paul, considering the content of your last post, I really do hope you're recovering and your silence is nothing more than real life distractions. As a carer for someone going through cancer, I do appreciate it can be as much a mental rollercoaster as a physical one.

Post an update when you feel able.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Oct 21, 12:01

I ATEN'T DEAD...

I think part of the reason this has been a particularly miserable week for me is that my idiot doctor didn't put in the prescription renewal for my vitamin B12 tablets when I asked them to several weeks ago, with the result I ran out early this week and have only just got the replacement tablets. Chemo trough coupled to B12 deficiency is not a good combo, especially since both cause reduced red blood cell count. I mean, my doctor wants me to e-mail for prescription renewals so I don't have to come into the practice, but they don't acknowledge receipt of the e-mails and I only discovered the problem when I picked up a different prescription and asked the pharmacy what the progress was on the B12...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 22. Oct 21, 15:09

Hallelujah! :D

A doctor forgetting such a prescription, considering your circumstances, is unforgivable. - Over the last few months, I've had to spend several hundred pounds buying dressings because the prescriptions (Boots) don't arrive on time, or a breakdown in communication between district nurses, surgery and pharmacy has meant they never got ordered in the first place. - There is something seriously, seriously wrong when either the systems don't work or mistakes are being made with such frequency in the medical profession. - I never deal with doctors for my mum's medications, instead it's a combination of nurse practitioners at the surgery and MacMillan nurses (also nurse practitioners.) Dressings is down to me (thank you Amazon) and the district nurses.

And it's not as if automated repeat prescription routines are new. - In the late 1980s, I helped a surgery in Middlesbrough get their Ciba-Geigy Sponsored Practice Management system get up and running, and that automated repeat prescription generation, 30+ years ago! (Drug companies would install the systems either for free, or at a massive discount, but in return were able to collect data on what had been prescribed each day, but not to whom.)

Here's to your swift recovery, both from cancer and the drugs that knocked the stuffing out of you over the last few months.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 13:40

Good to hear you got it resolved, bad to hear yet another prescription issue; same happened to my father. They omit various drugs occasionally and need to be chased to get...

Even had the amounts being changed without any information as to why.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 16:08

It did occur to me in retrospect that I'm an idiot. (Ignores chorus of "What else is new?" from the cheap seats). Vitamin B12 is not a prescription-only drug, so I could have just got my own at any time! In my defence, I think last week was the first time I've ever really had symptoms that I can point to and say "Yep, reckon those were the B12 kicking in".

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 17:58

Mum going to a hospice... Sisters (religious) are coming tomorrow to sort things out. Chemo didn't work, unfortunately, and the nurse practitioner has explained what will happen to her very soon, and it sounds horrific but thankfully pain free. Mum is totally at peace with what is coming, relieved even, and I wish I could feel that same peace. Spent the last few years as her fulltime carer, and it feels a bit like what will follow is just a huge void.

Still, I feel so damned privileged to have had the chance to care for her. I didn't get much else right in my life, but caring for her is something I did well.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 20:10

That's a darned shame, Gavrushka, especially since things sounded quite hopeful only a couple of weeks back. I hope your mother is as comfortable as possible in her remaining time.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 27. Oct 21, 21:02

I'm so sorry Gav. The only further advice that I can give for this sad and worrying time (from personal family experience) is to ensure that anyone else your Mum might wish to see or say something to gets the chance to visit her or to have any personal message forwarded if the opportunities are still there. It can make things slightly less stressfull all round, both now and later on.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 01:12

Sorry to learn that, Gav. I feel with you. Home-nursed my Mom for 4 years and then she just slipped away during her afternoon nap at the age of 98.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 15:55

I'm so sorry, Gavrushka. Just hope you can fill the void with something new soon.

Always look forward, the phase of grief and parting will end.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Tue, 2. Nov 21, 23:27

Hello Paul, Hello Gav,

not normally reading the forums a lot and the off topic one even less so, but my wife found this thread today. Just starting to read up on this and am so sorry to hear about both of your situations.
Wish you all the strength both physically and psychologically!!!

Stay strong!

-Bernd
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 3. Nov 21, 05:17

Thanks, Bernd.

Update, by the way: had a PET scan on Monday to figure out how much (if any) of the cancer is left and thus what the next steps are. Those sure are weird--it's when you get injected with the marker stuff from a distance of four feet so the radiographer isn't anywhere near you that you start to realise they take seriously all those warnings about not coming into contact with anyone under 18 or who might be pregnant because you're going to be radioactive for some time! Has to be said the actual procedure wasn't particularly unpleasant, I was basically just lying in the CAT scanner for about 20 minutes as they gradually scanned my entire body.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 5. Nov 21, 16:44

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Paul, here's to your scan results giving you the all clear. As I remember, the cancer was all but defeated prior to your last course of chemo.

As regards mum, she's in hospital at the minute and I've been able to see her the last few days as visiting restrictions have been eased. She's feisty and full of good humour, and should hopefully be well enough to be moved to a hospice after the weekend. - I think the doctors are even thinking about radiotherapy to ease the bleeding which has been quite an issue this week.

As regards me, I genuinely feel at peace, as does mum. Acceptance is a powerful balm.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Fri, 5. Nov 21, 23:54

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 3. Nov 21, 05:17
Thanks, Bernd.

Update, by the way: had a PET scan on Monday to figure out how much (if any) of the cancer is left and thus what the next steps are. Those sure are weird--it's when you get injected with the marker stuff from a distance of four feet so the radiographer isn't anywhere near you that you start to realise they take seriously all those warnings about not coming into contact with anyone under 18 or who might be pregnant because you're going to be radioactive for some time! Has to be said the actual procedure wasn't particularly unpleasant, I was basically just lying in the CAT scanner for about 20 minutes as they gradually scanned my entire body.
Wow... Did not know this exists even though my cousin works in radiology. All the best wishes for these results!

-Bernd

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 08:11

Just concluding the story of mum's journey through cancer on this thread.

Mum was moved into St Teresa's Hospice in Darlington on Tuesday and passed away on Thursday. The hospice called at 3:00am to let me know her condition had deteriorated, and I drove through and sat with her until she drifted away with such serenity just after 9:00am. She had a gentle smile on her face when she went. She'd loved the hospice ever since a single day's visit when she had breast cancer the first time around, 20 years earlier. It's where she'd wanted to be.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 09:25

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 13. Nov 21, 08:11
Mum was moved into St Teresa's Hospice in Darlington on Tuesday and passed away on Thursday.
That was such a short time, but at least she passed away painlessly and at peace. I hope you're holding up yourself?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 11:07

My sincere sympathy.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 22:07

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 13. Nov 21, 09:25
Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 13. Nov 21, 08:11
Mum was moved into St Teresa's Hospice in Darlington on Tuesday and passed away on Thursday.
That was such a short time, but at least she passed away painlessly and at peace. I hope you're holding up yourself?

Mum had been in hospital for a week and a half prior, and the MacMillan nurses based there had been trying to get her a hospice place for most of that time. Tuesday was the first time a room came free. It gave one of my sisters a chance to spend a little time with her as the hospital would only allow one nominated visitor.

I think, as a fulltime carer for her, grieving started when I realised that there could be no further treatment, so it did make it more bearable. Still, losing your mum is always going to be the hardest thing most of us will ever go through, exacerbated in my case as caring for her was all I did. - I could never do that again, and I don't know how the caring profession copes, especially those in palliative roles.

Return to “Off Topic English”