Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 17:36

Rug wrote:
Fri, 30. Jul 21, 17:14
My friend who is just coming to the end of his chemo found it got progressively more knackering, sorry to say.
It seems to come and go. Last night I was fine, but I'm feeling more fatigued today.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 17:54

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 30. Jul 21, 17:36
Rug wrote:
Fri, 30. Jul 21, 17:14
My friend who is just coming to the end of his chemo found it got progressively more knackering, sorry to say.
It seems to come and go. Last night I was fine, but I'm feeling more fatigued today.
Hang in there buddy.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 00:33

Sorry PJ not been following this thread, I hope everything works out for you.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 16:03

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 29. Jul 21, 13:18
All the best for your mother, Gavrushka. My own mother and oldest sister both survived breast cancer, albeit they were both somewhat younger at the time!
Thank you. I hope you're continuing to improve, even though I appreciate you'll feel pretty fatigued now. - I just wish we could have a more proactive system for catching cancer sooner, because in so many cases it strikes so subtly in the early instances that it can be very advanced by the time medical aid is sought.

Mum isn't doing too good at the minute, and the oncologists are looking at full on chemotherapy for her now as the cancer is no longer oestrogen receptive. - Thing is, and this is a huge frustration, they didn't consider this option earlier because they thought her heart wasn't strong enough without ever checking it prior to making the decision. - The doctor assumed her heart was weak because of an issue 6 years ago! Anyhow, now she's going for a heart scan (have to do it with nuclear gubbins cos her skin is too knackered by the cancer for the other surface monitor option.) - In two weeks, we'll know if there's a treatment available (she had her genetic blood test thingy today to see if there's an issue with chemo there too.) - I'll post here what's happening, but please us informed on how your treatment is going. - It'll be good to relate positive news to mum as she sets off down a similar road.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 05:16

Bummer, Gavrushka...let's hope the news is good.

I had my third chemo session Monday and I'm not actually too bad at the moment as far as fatigue is concerned. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 11:15

Still keeping my fingers crossed, both for you, Pjknibbs and your Mom, Gavrushka.
As I've said, my wife just went through the same in the past year, and in her case, she (probably) managed to beat the sucker. Next week Thursday she'll have a CT to determine if she needs another round of radiation therapy. I really hope she does not need it, the last one was quite strenuous. I think I've said it before, but please follow the doctor's instructions regarding protection of extremities during chemo to the letter. She did, and she still has significant damage to nerves in fingers and feet. I don't want to imagine how bad it would be if she had not done everything. What she also did was walk A LOT during chemo. She got a step counter, and most days were above 10000 steps. The doctors said this contributed significantly to her coping with the side effects.
As for positive news, after Chemo, my wife had an operation to take out the remains. No active cancer cells were found :D Still she had 6 weeks of daily radiation therapy afterwards, and an antibody injection (which is kind of a chemo) every three weeks from Oct. 2020 till today (last one next week). Her hair has grown back, and while she still suffers from several side effects, some pretty severe, any of which might be permanent ... it still beats the alternative by light years.
Stay positive and work to beat the bastard, without that attitude it will be more difficult to win.

But of course, please do not take my word for any of this. Every cancer patient is different, every tumor is different, so every treatment is also different. Check with your doctors.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 11:35

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 12. Aug 21, 05:16
Bummer, Gavrushka...let's hope the news is good.

I had my third chemo session Monday and I'm not actually too bad at the moment as far as fatigue is concerned. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

I keep checking back for updates, but I'm pretty sure no news is good news. - It's good to know you're adjusting to the chemo, and it's information I'll pass on to my mum...

We saw the oncologist yesterday, and I'll tell you the last two weeks have been the worst imaginable. Waiting is horrible, and the anxiety just ramps up the closer the 'day' comes. Anyhow, the upshot is mum will start chemotherapy within the next fortnight. It'll be a tablet twice a day over a cycle of 21,28 or 35 days, and there's a high risk involved with it, but mum was happy to give 'informed consent.' In the short term, it's more likely the medication will end her life than the cancer.

Now here's a slight side note to the many who have been diagnosed with heart failure, which my mum was. - It was explained that the heart would deteriorate, and there's no way back, but mum's condition was lifestyle induced (high salt/sugar diet.) - Anyhow, reducing her aggregate salt intake to 2 grams per day for the last few years, complete with large reduction in her sugar intake, has led to her heart functioning at 100% efficiency again. (It was the first heart test done since the diagnosis.)

And thanks, @Mailo

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 17:23

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 11:35
I keep checking back for updates, but I'm pretty sure no news is good news. - It's good to know you're adjusting to the chemo, and it's information I'll pass on to my mum...

We saw the oncologist yesterday, and I'll tell you the last two weeks have been the worst imaginable. Waiting is horrible, and the anxiety just ramps up the closer the 'day' comes. Anyhow, the upshot is mum will start chemotherapy within the next fortnight. It'll be a tablet twice a day over a cycle of 21,28 or 35 days, and there's a high risk involved with it, but mum was happy to give 'informed consent.' In the short term, it's more likely the medication will end her life than the cancer.
Well, I had the fourth chemo session on Tuesday (the clinic isn't open Bank Holidays, go figure!), and am OK so far this week, but it always seems to hit hardest in the second week afterward--there was one evening two weeks ago where I went to bed fully clothed immediately after work, with a hairdryer blowing under the covers to try and get some warmth, and I was still shivering like I was in the Arctic. That went away after about half an hour, fortunately. Have to say, if your mother can get chemo just from taking tablets she's a lucky woman (relatively speaking, obviously)--my sessions require me to have a cannula fitted and take about two and a half hours of having various drugs injected through it. I mean, it feels like less time than that because one of the drugs just completely zonks you out for about half an hour and they could probably set off a grenade in the immediate vicinity and you wouldn't notice, but still. I then have to take half a pharmacy's worth of more regular tablets over the following weeks, although some of those are purely because of the open wound on my belly--they really don't want to risk infection when your immune system is depressed due to having a type of chemo that directly attacks it!

On the plus side, I still have my eyebrows and even some hair on my head, so that's lasting a lot better than expected. Chemo seems to have largely killed the tendency of stubble to grow, but that's only a good thing because it means I've hardly needed to shave for weeks. Just two more sessions to go, then we go and have a PET scan to find out if they managed to kill all of it...if not, then radiotherapy may be required. My mother (who had breast cancer 20-odd years ago) tells me radiotherapy is a cinch compared to chemo, but not looking forward to it all the same, especially since she said it permanently damaged her collarbone--since my tumour is right in the pelvic girdle there's a lot of bone nearby to get messed up!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 23:44

Yeah, I'd assumed chemo meant a huge vat filled with glowing green liquid emptied into you, but I think that's only used for certain kinds of cancers. (The drug mum will take is called Capecitabine.) - Yeah radiotherapy did for mum too 20 years ago when she had a lumpectomy after she was first hit by breast cancer, but things have moved a lot in the last two decades, thankfully. - Her flesh was badly burned around it, and when the breast cancer went into overdrive during episode 2, the scar tissue beneath the skin was pushed through.

I was shocked you're not taking extended sick leave, but at the same time I get that it will likely help to keep some semblance of normality to a very upside down life. And have you avoided infection? It's another reason I was surprised you're back in the workplace. I guess your immune system is taking its own break at the minute.

And what's the follow up for you? Do you take a drug after it's over to keep it in permanent abeyance? One thing I have noticed with the NHS is they're great with treatments, but so overstretched that follow up care can't be as good as it always should be.

I hope you don't mind if I keep using this thread to update on what's happening with mum. - Thing is, and Doctor Haney made this clear, people in my mum's position are likely to suffer worst as a result of chemotherapy, and I feel her Hippocratic Oath had her seriously conflicted over agreeing to the treatment. Thing is, the absence of hope would've taken all value from mum's remaining time if it'd been decided 'pain control' was the best course of treatment.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 08:08

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 23:44
I was shocked you're not taking extended sick leave, but at the same time I get that it will likely help to keep some semblance of normality to a very upside down life. And have you avoided infection? It's another reason I was surprised you're back in the workplace. I guess your immune system is taking its own break at the minute.

And what's the follow up for you? Do you take a drug after it's over to keep it in permanent abeyance? One thing I have noticed with the NHS is they're great with treatments, but so overstretched that follow up care can't be as good as it always should be.
My workplace is my home, so it's not so bad. AFAIK there should be no follow-up necessary if the tumour is all gone, but we'll see when we get to that bit.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 17:11

Ah, that helps with the commute then!

I've known a few people with cancer, a couple who've needed chemotherapy, and I believe all of them used a secondary anti-cancer drug, long term, after their initial treatment had concluded, but it's still a pretty small sample size to work with. It'd be great if that's it after the chemo's finished.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 17:18

I'm not particularly bothered if it does turn out I need to take a tablet--I'm already on several tablets I have to take every day anyway (metformin for diabetes, atorvastatin for cholesterol although I've been temporarily taken off that one during the chemo, and vitamin B12 due to deficiency) so adding a few more won't be much of a bind. Providing said tablets don't have side-effects like the chemo does, of course!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 6. Sep 21, 09:05

I may be wrong, but the oncologist explained why some form of (mild) cancer medication continues after the more aggressive treatment finishes, and that's because it's impossible to totally eradicate every last cancer cell, so I'd guess it's a little like a Covid vaccine to significantly reduce the personal risk of a flare up in the future.

I really need to visit a doctor again some time soon. Had one visit since 2005, and I'm pretty sure right now I'd fail my MOT... :|

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 14:43

Thread hijack continues (sorry) but just wanted to post an update on mum:

She started chemo on Thursday night, 4x500mg Capecitabine twice daily, and the very first dose left her in awful diffuse pain across the cancerous areas an hour after taking. - In addition to slow release morphine sulphate twice daily, and max dose paracetamol (of course), she needed several does of Oramorph just to get through the first night. It was dreadful, as you can imagine, seeing her in such pain.

But it has eased, and to such an extent that she didn't need any additional pain relief last night for the first time since she was given the Oramorph. In addition, for the first time in many weeks, there was no bleeding during the daily dressing change. She feels good, but the course is 14 days and the nurses have pointed out she'll be at her most vulnerable towards the end of this first treatment. - It's hard getting her to eat properly, even harder getting her to exercise, but it's very apparent even 2 days has done some good to her. (I'd been seriously concerned she'd bleed out as the chemotherapy drastically reduces her blood's ability to clot.)

And she's asking how you're doing @pjknibbs. I know your situations are very different, but she gets a lot of pleasure from knowing your battle is going well.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 16:16

Glad to gear she's doing well! I've just passed the nadir of my current chemo rollercoaster so it should be all uphill for the next week, until I get my next session Monday 20th. I've also been booked in for a CAT scan on the 22nd (at 7:30am!!! Good thing I'm an early riser) to check on progress with the tumour. The most immediate effect I always have after chemo is peeing all the time, because I think a lot of cells (not all of them tumour ones!) are dying and dumping protein into my bloodstream that has to be got rid of--I've never actually been in significant long-term pain since this all started, so I guess there's something to be thankful for the particular type of cancer I got.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 20:12

Yeah, the district nurses did warn me that mum will get far more tired as she moves deeper into the first course of the treatment, with treatment 7 of 28 due in 2 1/2 hours. - Being contrary, one of the main side effects of the treatment is supposed to be epic diarrhoea, but mum has chosen to be constipated... - What's really unsettling at the minute is just how intense the pain is wherever there's cancer. - There was a little area of cancer in her RHS ribs, and that is really giving her grief at the minute. - She does understand that wherever cancer is attacked by the treatment, because so much is just below her skin where the nerves are most prevalent, it's gonna sting big style.

I really hope your scan on the 22nd does show a massive improvement for you, and I think in an earlier post you suggested that's what doctors expect. - The 22nd is when mum next sees Doctor Haney, which is just at the end of this first course of treatment, and we're just coming to terms with why mum didn't get this more invasive treatment 3 years ago, shortly after she was first diagnosed:

Mum saw Doctor Haney soon after seeing the surgeon, Mr Corner, who suggested mum might be suitable for an 'alternative treatment,' but after that meeting it was decided she wasn't suitable. - We found out why last week. - Mum walks with a rollator, and the Doctor has assumed that was because of the heart failure diagnosis from years ago, but never mentioned at the time - never mentioned until chemotherapy became the only viable option last month. - The reason she uses it is because she'd had a fall when outside, and couldn't get back up, indeed became severely agoraphobic and had to have counselling sessions which eventually involved going outside to the place of the fall with a rollator. It's an understandable mistake, but very frustrating at the same time. - There's no blame, no anger, just disappointment at the early missed opportunity.

If it'd been a 7:30am appointment for mum on the 22nd, I'd have reminder the good doctor of the Hippocratic Oath she took... :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 22:11

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 20:12
Being contrary, one of the main side effects of the treatment is supposed to be epic diarrhoea, but mum has chosen to be constipated...

Mum walks with a rollator, and the Doctor has assumed that was because of the heart failure diagnosis from years ago, but never mentioned at the time - never mentioned until chemotherapy became the only viable option last month. - The reason she uses it is because she'd had a fall when outside, and couldn't get back up
Weird, I have entirely the opposite issue--they keep telling me how this stuff causes constipation and I just get constant diarrhoea!

That is a bloody weird assumption for a doctor to make. My mother also uses a rolling doohickey to walk, but that's because she fell and broke her hip a couple of years ago, it has nothing to do with her heart attack from some years previous to that!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 09:49

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 22:11

Weird, I have entirely the opposite issue--they keep telling me how this stuff causes constipation and I just get constant diarrhoea!

That is a bloody weird assumption for a doctor to make. My mother also uses a rolling doohickey to walk, but that's because she fell and broke her hip a couple of years ago, it has nothing to do with her heart attack from some years previous to that!
Sounds like they've swapped your treatment with mum's! :shock:

Yeah, I think the first 'diagnosis' the doctor made was around selecting candidates for a trial, and Dr Haney would have seen the last major medical episode, prior to the cancer diagnosis, was heart failure. *IF* it had been brought up, we could have explained, but I think it was more check boxes than a detailed discussion. The doctor is exceptional, and there are no ill-feelings whatsoever. Rollators are awesome. Mum's has a built in seat, and it gives her the confidence to go places that would otherwise be too remote / too scary.

Although mum is mentally struggling (pain and addiction to morphine...) she remains fairly strong as she gets closer to the halfway point of the treatment. - One extra sign is the 'smell' of cancer (god, it was awful) is much less now. - I never realised surface cancer could give off such an unpleasant odour. - Nurses were going to start using charcoal in the dressings, but that may no longer be necessary.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 07:33

Medical science is truly incredible. In latish August, I'm sat numb to my core as the nurse practitioner is giving the end-of-life care talk to mum, and 6 weeks later she's starting her second round of chemotherapy after seeing Dr Haney who has confirmed that the first treatment is 'drying out the cancer.' - Mum has no discernible side effects other than tiredness, coupled with ouchy-stings for the first few days of treatment as the cancer once again gets its backside kicked. - It's still likely that the cancer or the chemo will end her life, but it feels freakingly awesome to live with hope rather than just waiting for the inevitable. - She's even walking now with her stick on occasion, but I'm always nearby with the 'rotavator.'

@PJKnibbs, how did your CAT scan go? Mum asked last week, but I'm pretty sure it'll all have been positive. - One thing that makes us both nervous is having to see the oncologist before each cycle of treatment starts, it feeling like the Doctor is deciding whether the benefits still outweigh the risks, and it felt quite unsettling when she said 'I'm happy for you to carry on with the next round of treatment...' I guess it's essential to do a risk assessment, and review it regularly.

Mum now gets carers visit twice a day too, and one of them, Safi, brought up something that really had me thinking; - She suggested if we'd treated cancer with the same urgency as we did Covid-19, we'd likely have a whole new range of fast-tracked treatments which would improve life for the 100s of millions who are going to face it at some point during their lives. - I don't know if what she says is true, but it's hard to deny that the world seems to be able to move mountains when it's deemed 'essential.'

Hoping you're well on the road to 'cancer-free.'

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 09:15

Barring anything urgent I'm not expecting them to give me the CAT scan results until my next regular oncologist appointment on Friday (before my final chemo session Monday week, yay!). I don't have a problem with the oncologist visit, because in my case I know what it's for--since I have lymphoma the chemo pretty directly attacks my immune system, and they need to be sure it's recovered before going onto the next cycle. Sure, that might mean they delay a session, but it doesn't mean they'll stop treatment entirely.

Glad to hear your mother is doing OK, may that continue!

Return to “Off Topic English”