Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 19:28

Already ordered another memory stick, and also a cheapo 320Gb spinning rust HDD because the 1Tb one is unfortunately 9.5mm thick, and the laptop only accepts 7mm ones. Those will get installed probably Tuesday, because I'm at the hospital tomorrow getting a top-up for the chemo I had last week. Got a bit of a gap between sessions while I'm there so I'll take the laptop with me and see how well the battery goes from just general web browsing, doubt I'll bother playing any videos.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 01:41

Just curious, but how are you going to be connecting to the internet.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 06:38

Christie (as most probably do most other hospitals) provide free Wi-Fi for patients. I've made extensive usage of it during my stays there.

[EDIT] Been sitting here for about 50 minutes, just general web browsing, and battery is down to 70%. That's a bit less than three hours total life, which seems low--however, it's entirely possible it needs to discharge a few times to get an accurate estimate. Given my planned use case for this laptop it's not an issue anyway, if I'm gaming on it then it's going to be plugged in!

[EDIT2] OK, upgrades done. Pretty painless, all told--there are fifteen screws holding the bottom of the case on, just take those out and the entire thing unclips pretty easily. No screws needed to install the HDD (it's got a nice little padded bay it fits in), then everything goes back together again smooth as you like. Now I've got dual channel RAM in there may rerun the game benchmarks I've already done so I can see if there's any uptick in performance.

Regarding hospital, I didn't get finished there until well after 5pm last night and I was absolutely knacked when I got home. Back of my hand where they had the cannula still hurting somewhat but I'll live for now.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 21:30

OK. final update of the year: just been for a second blood test this week. Platelet count still a bit on the low side but should be OK so long as I'm not actively bleeding. Got a bit of a potassium deficiency they've given me some tablets for. Plan now is to have the second chemo session in the New Year, then we do the PET scan and see where we are.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 23:03

Here's to hoping the end is in sight now. - You've sure been through the mill over the last few months. - Next chemo session is expected to be the last one, yes?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 07:20

Well, I think if the PET scan shows good, but not great, results, they might go for a third cycle of this chemo. We'll have to wait and see.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 20:36

Odd. Just been sent a PCR test without asking for one! The note that came with it said I would possibly benefit from a new treatment if I had Covid, but as far as I know I don't, so not sure why this has turned up out of the blue.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 22:28

I think it's likely due to the limited stocks, so they're presending to those with a compromised immune system or maybe they're sending to all those who have an upcoming hospital appointment. - Gotta say I've been trying to get hold of testing kits for some time. - There were stocks at a local pharmacy prior to Christmas, but I'd had a headache/sore throat and congestion at the time so didn't want to leave the house, just in case.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 08:36

Having read the instructions more closely it says not to actually do the test unless I have Covid symptoms, so I guess it is a "just in case" sort of thing. Regarding getting tests, why don't you just order one from the Government website? I did that when I thought I had Covid symptoms a few weeks ago, test arrived by priority mail the next day and I got the results in a couple of days after posting it. I think they also send the lateral flow ones out as well, it's an option when you're doing the order.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 11:09

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 1. Jan 22, 08:36
Having read the instructions more closely it says not to actually do the test unless I have Covid symptoms, so I guess it is a "just in case" sort of thing. Regarding getting tests, why don't you just order one from the Government website? I did that when I thought I had Covid symptoms a few weeks ago, test arrived by priority mail the next day and I got the results in a couple of days after posting it. I think they also send the lateral flow ones out as well, it's an option when you're doing the order.
Ah, that makes sense then. Mum used to be spammed by the NHS for screening and the like because she was deemed at a higher risk.

And there are no tests available online. - I too got some a few weeks before Christmas, but in the run up there were none available. - At first I received a 'technical error' after entering my details, but then it was 'we ain't got any' in perpetuity. - I cancelled a couple of social engagements, just in case, which I see as one of the few positive aspects of Omicron! LOL

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 09:21

Well, some good news at least--the open wound I've had on my belly since that abscess which started everything back in May appears to finally be healing. It's gone from something I could easily put half a finger in to just a few millimetres deep.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 19:39

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 2. Jan 22, 09:21
Well, some good news at least--the open wound I've had on my belly since that abscess which started everything back in May appears to finally be healing. It's gone from something I could easily put half a finger in to just a few millimetres deep.
That's some progress.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 20:26

Terre wrote:
Sun, 2. Jan 22, 19:39
That's some progress.
It's taken more than half a year to get here! Half a year of constantly having a dressing on the wound, not being able to take a proper bath because dirty water and open wound don't mix so well, etc. Heck, up until the last two or three weeks I've been having to swap the dressing twice a day because there was so much discharge from the wound--I must have gone through a good 2-3 full binbags of discarded dressings by now.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 21:15

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 2. Jan 22, 20:26
It's taken more than half a year to get here! Half a year of constantly having a dressing on the wound, not being able to take a proper bath because dirty water and open wound don't mix so well, etc. Heck, up until the last two or three weeks I've been having to swap the dressing twice a day because there was so much discharge from the wound--I must have gone through a good 2-3 full binbags of discarded dressings by now.
I have to say your determination is impressive, many would balk at what you have had to do. ( My Aunty for instance... ) Your strong will will serve you well I think. Also very good news that it is finally healing, must have been bloody horrible. Hope the good progress continues. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 2. Jan 22, 21:20

@ Paul: That's good to hear and must be a relief, although I also assume that you've had the medics check the newly-healed wound. I only say that because you wouldn't want it to seal up over any active corruption still going on underneath. I dare say that you would be in quite some discomfort if that happened, so you are most likely OK in that respect.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 3. Jan 22, 08:48

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 2. Jan 22, 20:26
Terre wrote:
Sun, 2. Jan 22, 19:39
That's some progress.
Wish I'd known earlier. - I've just had to bin almost *a thousand pounds worth* of dressings because the surgery couldn't take them back! - But it is a relief that it is finally healing. - The chemo would have slowed the process, but I do fully appreciate just how difficult life becomes with an open wound.

You sure have had a damned unpleasant journey, but this is one very positive milestone.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 09:18

Just sitting in the hospital reception area before heading in for second chemo session. Hopefully it'll take a bit less than 14 hours to get it all done this time, because I'd kind of like to be home this side of midnight!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 20:11

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 09:18
Just sitting in the hospital reception area before heading in for second chemo session. Hopefully it'll take a bit less than 14 hours to get it all done this time, because I'd kind of like to be home this side of midnight!
I hope you remembered your laptop charger!

And I hope you'll be heading home soon.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 7. Jan 22, 07:50

I did have the charger with me--probably could have got away without it, though, although it would have been marginal (the laptop I was using has 9+ hour battery life, which is about its only good feature). Finally finished up at 5:30pm and got home about an hour later, was then in bed for 8:30 because I was feeling so tired.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 20:29

Well, that wasn't a fun day. They took two attempts to get the cannula in and it was so painful once they started to pump the stuff they they had to slow it right down, so a half-hour session took two. Think the vein they used was still at least partially knackered from the last session before Xmas!

Return to “Off Topic English”