Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 10:47

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 4. Dec 21, 08:26
greypanther wrote:
Fri, 3. Dec 21, 22:21
Have you been for a Covid test today?
They gave me a test just before I left the hospital today, presumably they'll let me know before Monday if there's a problem.
Good luck Paul.
A flower?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 17:27

The hospital might have some sort of free wifi. There might be tricks to getting it to work. Might be a website to tell you how or the nurses can tell you. Might have to download stuff like netflix, disney, prime video vs streaming it due to wifi quality. Maybe download some stuff prior to the hospital. Some internet sites might be blocked like netflix, etc...? Hopefully someone can bring you some food since hospital food can be bland/unappetizing. If you don't feel like eating theres meal replacement drinks that might be easier to stomach. Also shared room vs private room - headphones? Might also have an iv needle stuck in your hand all the time.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 18:45

They do have free Wi-Fi, I've used it when I've been in there before. If this treatment all goes well then they're saying they'll have to have me in for five weeks sometime early next year, though...seriously considering buying a better laptop so I can play slightly more modern games, the CPU in my best machine is 8 years old and using Intel integrated graphics!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 21:54

WiFi in the hospital is pretty good, and I've streamed Sky Go in there (Darlington) on occasion. Can you not just use that Nvidia remote play app to temporarily 'upgrade' your laptops graphic capabilities for the duration of your stay? Seems extreme to invest a lot of money in a laptop for such short term use.

If you're going in for an extended stay, make sure you tell the person you'd like visiting to register with the ward clerk on the day you're admitted. Unless the rules have changed, there was only one visitor allowed per patient, and once nominated, they could not be changed.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 22:24

Might also need an extension cord. 6 ft minimum. Might not be long enough if they have lots of machines plugged in. It might create a larger trip hazard if its too short or thick.

Slippers that are slip resistant also. Walking around in socks or bare feet might not be the most comfortable.

You can try Geforce Now but I think there will be too much lag. Theres also Amazon Luna, Stadia, PS Now and Xbox Cloud. Each with its own caveats.

Intel cpus have worse graphics than amd. Amd cpus tend to be buggier.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 09:00

Well, I wouldn't mind a better laptop anyway, so maybe I'm using this as an excuse, who knows? :)

[EDIT] OK, second day in hospital, had the chemo yesterday. Last night was quite possibly one of the worst nights I've ever had--they didn't finish pumping me full of drugs and fluids until 3:25am, and any attempts I made to sleep were destroyed by the fact I was so loaded with water I was havving to get up to wee every 25 minutes. Hoping to go home tomorrow but we'll see how it goes.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 8. Dec 21, 20:09

Just arrived home. Not feeling too bad from the chemo at the moment, but the other chemo didn't really kick my rear until the second week after having it, so I have that to look forward to...

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 8. Dec 21, 23:49

Well, not so bad so far. At least it was a relatively short stay, you are obviously not so unhealthy otherwise after all. ( Hope the kick in the rear stays away.... )

Be well. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 07:50

Echoing Greypanther's sentiments. Be well indeed!

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 13:07

Just been told I'm getting a £250 bonus for Christmas at work, so that low-end gaming laptop is starting to look even more attractive now! :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 16:32

Oooh, congrats on the bonus, and it'll be good to see what you end up getting, if you decide to go for one. It's a year since I was guided by you and the other O/Ters on a PC, and I hope in that time you've forgiven me for going the Intel route! :P

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 18:06

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 9. Dec 21, 16:32
I hope in that time you've forgiven me for going the Intel route! :P
Well, some things are just unforgivable, you should know this. :D

Has to be said, every PC I currently have apart from the main gaming rig is Intel...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 11. Dec 21, 13:39

Well, I found a pretty cheap gaming laptop on Amazon, so I just went ahead and bought it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1

I actually got it for £599.99, must have been on offer since I see it's more expensive now! I've had it since yesterday and ran some benchmarks on it. The CPU is actually faster per-core than the Ryzen 2600 in my main gaming rig, but having only 4 real cores compared to 6 means it loses hard in anything that makes proper use of all cores available. One thing that *is* stupidly fast is the SSD--CrystalDiskMark clocks it at over 3400Mb/s reads on the largest files! Which is where I realise I made an error when I built my main PC, because the M.2 SSD in that only does 558. I've checked the mainboard specs and it definitely supports running the M.2 in full PCI-Express mode, so what I obviously went and did was to purchase a SATA M.2 SSD by mistake...d'oh! To be fair, at the time I built this machine I didn't actually realise there was a distinction...

The only actual game benchmark I've tested on the laptop so far is Just Cause 2--bit old, but still looks pretty good IMHO--and that's running at maybe 75% of the speed of my gaming PC, so I'd go as far as to say this is a pretty quick machine. Still more benchmarks to run and software to install, though.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention it's only running single channel RAM so that may be affecting performance a bit--I may have to consider upgrading that. If I do, then I have a spare spinning rust 1Tb SSD lying around I may be able to install as well!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 08:45

That's a good spec, and 10th gen processor too, so not a bad purchase. -Yeah, it shows as £650+ on Amazon for me, and even at that price compares well with similar spec machines from other manufacturers.

Happy gaming! :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 15:54

That does look like a pretty good cheap gaming laptop, the ram is something I would probably upgrade to 16 gigs, but all in all for that price you can't really complain and looking at a review it seems to come without the normal obligatory bloatware, which is always a plus in my book.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 19:28

Already ordered another memory stick, and also a cheapo 320Gb spinning rust HDD because the 1Tb one is unfortunately 9.5mm thick, and the laptop only accepts 7mm ones. Those will get installed probably Tuesday, because I'm at the hospital tomorrow getting a top-up for the chemo I had last week. Got a bit of a gap between sessions while I'm there so I'll take the laptop with me and see how well the battery goes from just general web browsing, doubt I'll bother playing any videos.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 01:41

Just curious, but how are you going to be connecting to the internet.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 06:38

Christie (as most probably do most other hospitals) provide free Wi-Fi for patients. I've made extensive usage of it during my stays there.

[EDIT] Been sitting here for about 50 minutes, just general web browsing, and battery is down to 70%. That's a bit less than three hours total life, which seems low--however, it's entirely possible it needs to discharge a few times to get an accurate estimate. Given my planned use case for this laptop it's not an issue anyway, if I'm gaming on it then it's going to be plugged in!

[EDIT2] OK, upgrades done. Pretty painless, all told--there are fifteen screws holding the bottom of the case on, just take those out and the entire thing unclips pretty easily. No screws needed to install the HDD (it's got a nice little padded bay it fits in), then everything goes back together again smooth as you like. Now I've got dual channel RAM in there may rerun the game benchmarks I've already done so I can see if there's any uptick in performance.

Regarding hospital, I didn't get finished there until well after 5pm last night and I was absolutely knacked when I got home. Back of my hand where they had the cannula still hurting somewhat but I'll live for now.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 21:30

OK. final update of the year: just been for a second blood test this week. Platelet count still a bit on the low side but should be OK so long as I'm not actively bleeding. Got a bit of a potassium deficiency they've given me some tablets for. Plan now is to have the second chemo session in the New Year, then we do the PET scan and see where we are.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 23:03

Here's to hoping the end is in sight now. - You've sure been through the mill over the last few months. - Next chemo session is expected to be the last one, yes?

Return to “Off Topic English”