Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 18:43

I'm very sorry to hear about your confirmation of a tumour. Did you really mean 20cm (8 inches) as that seems astonishingly big if you did.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 20:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:45
Well, had the meeting, and it turns out I have a 20cm lymphoma tumour. They want to get me on chemo ASAP because if this gets much bigger it could be genuinely life-threatening.
Damn, I kept hoping for you, I'm very sorry to hear that. Still, better to know so that you can fight it than find it when it is too late.
All the strength in the world to get through chemo. I just had to watch my wife go through it last year. At least medicine has made great advances in the field in the last decade or so, it is now more likely to be successful and less side effects. While I am sure you will get all the information (and more) you need during the treatment, my wife claims her walking a lot (daily walks of 30-60 minutes) helped her immensly getting through it without too much damage.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 20:41

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 18:43
I'm very sorry to hear about your confirmation of a tumour. Did you really mean 20cm (8 inches) as that seems astonishingly big if you did.
Yes, I really did mean that big. Hence the problem!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 23:24

My condolences. 20 cm sounds pretty large. Hopefully chemo works out.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 00:58

Well, that was a bit sudden. Got a call at home about 8:30pm saying, "This is Christie Hospital, are you on your way here?". I obviously pointed out that no-one had actually asked me to attend the hospital as yet, so they apologised for that but said I needed to get there ASAP before the free bed went. So I headed off down there, and am currently typing this message via the NHS's free wi-fi while I wait for another battery of tests to be run.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 09:11

Good luck Paul. We're lucky we have Christie's up here in the NW.
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 19:47

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 25. Jun 21, 00:58
Well, that was a bit sudden. Got a call at home about 8:30pm saying, "This is Christie Hospital, are you on your way here?". I obviously pointed out that no-one had actually asked me to attend the hospital as yet, so they apologised for that but said I needed to get there ASAP before the free bed went. So I headed off down there, and am currently typing this message via the NHS's free wi-fi while I wait for another battery of tests to be run.
When "good" and "bad" in terms of news are relative to the situation, there are some positives (treatable, getting you into hospital pronto) despite the bad (diagnosis). Here's hoping the positives continue.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. Jun 21, 20:36

Well, latest update: been moved into a different ward because the one I was in was essentially for initial assessment only. They're going to continue with steroid treatment over the weekend, with the plan to start chemo proper on Monday. So, likely to be in for most of next week even if all goes well.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 00:18

I wish you all the best, PJK.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 14:55

Best of luck Paul. I hope it all goes well for you.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 20:36

Well, things are looking up slightly--they've moved me onto a ward that's all individual rooms with en-suite and TV! Definitely an improvement over my first two nights here.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 21:22

That sounds a bit better, at least you will be a bit comfier. Also, they have moved quite fast, which has to be a good thing. Good luck with the treatment. :thumb_up:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 16:48

Wishing you all the best PJ!
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 08:31

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 25. Jun 21, 20:36
Well, latest update: been moved into a different ward because the one I was in was essentially for initial assessment only. They're going to continue with steroid treatment over the weekend, with the plan to start chemo proper on Monday. So, likely to be in for most of next week even if all goes well.
Really sorry I never picked up on this thread earlier, but I do wish you a swift and positive route through this.

As a full time carer for someone with advanced cancer, I can promise you the darkest moment passed after you first heard the diagnosis. Every moment since has been about planning your full recovery. The one thing I can tell you is not to stay silent and passive going forward. Engaging the doctors with any tiny issues can give them a head start on quashing any possible complications before they become a problem.

I know you'll probably be feeling pretty crappy the day after the chemo started, but it will get easier. And it will work.

Post when you can, and take care.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 09:41

Well, update, the chemo didn't actually start yesterday because they were still waiting for blood results relating to the wound in my belly from the infection I had a month ago. I'm really hoping it starts today because I'm getting quite sick of being in hospital right now.

[EDIT] Well, just having the last of the five concoctions dripped slowly into my veins as we speak--going to take three or four hours to get it all in, they really take this one slowly. Spent a good half of the session asleep, the first drug they pump into you really zonks you out. Don't feel particularly bad right now, but sure there's plenty of time for stuff to develop over the next few hours!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 2. Jul 21, 15:36

OK, finally just sitting waiting to be discharged and go home. Going to be on a huge cocktail of drugs for the foreseeable so they need to get those all put together for me, but with any luck will be sitting in my own home before this evening. I haven't really noticed any major side effects of the chemo yet, although they tell me the hair loss doesn't usually start until after the second session, which is going to be in a bit over a fortnight's time.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 08:09

Hope you did make it home!

Yeah, the side effects, even the 'common ones' are still unlikely to affect the majority. - But be vigilant. - Personal experience has underlined the oncologists are brilliant at treating the cancer, but there focus can be so tight-beamed that they miss some less-than-pleasant side effects which can be easily treated if spotted.

I'm sure you're using the downtime to have a little fun - the Steam sale is still on - and I'm happy to recommend a few great books if the fancy takes you.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 11:10

Glad you're back home, hospital can be depressing.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 11:52

Thanks, guys. Yes, back home now--there's a limit to what I can do in the hospital with regard to playing games given how shite my laptop is, though! It definitely does feel like the lump is already smaller than it was, though, so something positive appears to be happening.

Return to “Off Topic English”