Should I play X4 or X3FL?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fishille
x4

Should I play X4 or X3FL?

Post by Fishille » Mon, 10. May 21, 22:26

Hello,
I have been a mild X player at most, but have been recently inspired to play more recently. I own both and have played both a little but I was trying to decide which one will offer the most rewarding experience of investing more time in. I’m also a fan of big ships and big ship battles. I feel X4 is more accessible (in the X universe sense of accessible), I’m really struggling with how to automate my mining ships in X3FL for instance but I was able to see how that is done straight forward in X4.

So what’s your arguments for which one I should play and maybe you’ll help me decide? Maybe the decision isn’t which to play but which to play first?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Should I play X4 or X3FL?

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. May 21, 13:43

I'm playing both (at different times obviously) and they are quite different but both fun in their own ways. The only thing I find a bit hard is adjusting to the often similar-looking yet quite different UI and control systems in the two games and so keep pressing the wrong keys. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 11. May 21, 14:39

X3 GUI is a nightmare, I can't ever get back to it since X4 release, even if X4 GUI is not a perfection.

X3FL has better atmosphere (classic X3 soundtrack) and more complete/mature content and gameplay. X4 still need 2-3 major updates and DLCs to feel on par with X3.

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Tue, 11. May 21, 19:39

I’ve got everything purchased of X content from X3:TC up through the season pass on X4 so I’ve got all the DLCs. Just started a X4 Terran start and liking things, but I may follow suit with you Alan and switch between the two, I really appreciate what was done with X3FL and would like to run it through further then the 13 hours I got into it, may have to toggle with some of the files though and fix some mild grievances of one mission ruining my 2 agents of effort into a particular faction and destroying my trade routes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. May 21, 20:17

Ah, the 'dynamic' balanced faction rep system where you cannot be best friends with everyone at the same time. Heh, heh.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Fishille
x4

Post by Fishille » Thu, 13. May 21, 23:07

I am really excited to jump into X3FL some more but going to hold off for a bit to make sure the expert bug catchers get it sorted, been really sucked into X4 currently. Having learned that the DLCs brought some of the things I missed in X4 I’m having a bit of fun, but the discovery and diplomacy things are fun.

Gryoz
xr

Post by Gryoz » Fri, 14. May 21, 11:25

Came back to X after several years of absence, played a ton of X3AP and a bit of X:R at launch (will probably get back into that with DLC at some point, and then X4, now that the free X3FL brought me back here :D ). Struggling to not get too deep into my X3FL save during the beta patch since saves might not be compatible when the patch comes out, the game is just too much fun :lol:

Return to “Off Topic English”