any experience with standing/raising desk?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

any experience with standing/raising desk?

Post by fiksal » Sun, 2. May 21, 01:22

Howdy,
I am considering to get one, mostly to update my desk and to have something where I am not completely stationary the whole day - as that's what my job is. At least that's the goal.
It's not a cheap investment, so I wonder what are your reviews of them?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: any experience with standing/raising desk?

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 2. May 21, 09:34

It's a good investment. Generally a good idea to change your sitting / standing position throughout the day. Had a job once where these raising desks were mandatory office interior. Now back to a place where you first have to develop a physician confirmed back pain, before you get one. A colleague of mine has one, and pre Corona I used to work on it, when he wasn't around. Obviously, at first it requires some time getting used to it, and your other office devices should support this, too (e.g. having a monitor that's easily adjustable to fit the position you're currently working in.).
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sun, 2. May 21, 10:10

I have a raising desk in my office, and I use it regularly ... probably not as often as I should, but still. I can really recommend it, especially in situations where you already have a strained back. Switching the position from time to time also helps with concentration issues.
I really miss mine too, since I've been in home office continuously since March last year.
At my former place of work I also had something like this as a second chair, so I kept switching between sitting at a lowered desk with a regular chair, standing at a raised desk and sitting/leaning at a raised desk.

One thing you REALLY need to make sure of before you use it the first time ... is that all cables (e.g. monitor video or power) need to be long enough. Not much fun is to be had if everything on your desk is pulled off the first time you try to raise it. And no, I am not speaking from experience here, whatever gave you that idea, I can't believe you feel the need to ask, I mean, really, .... er ... yeah.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 2. May 21, 18:14

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 09:34
Had a job once where these raising desks were mandatory office interior. Now back to a place where you first have to develop a physician confirmed back pain, before you get one.
Our place is somewhere between those; getting one is quite easy or even offered without request as "current default". Personally, no longer term exposure, but apparently they are good.

All are not equal, obviously. The quality of the legs follow their price. Hopefully. Some are more sturdy, apparently.
Mailo wrote:
Sun, 2. May 21, 10:10
One thing you REALLY need to make sure of before you use it the first time ... is that all cables (e.g. monitor video or power) need to be long enough.
A wire basket/cable carrier on the table could help with that. Ideally you would hang the machine too, if it is not on the table. That way everything is together, at height of your current mood. Just power and network cables have to extend.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 2. May 21, 22:23

Do you think it's ideal to mount the PC then as well?

I am torn on that point, but it will solve the issue of cable lengths.

Another question, is mounting a monitor on an arm better as well? My monitor leg isn't high enough to be at proper eye level, for instance, and even with raising desk it's still gonna be awkward with that and keyboard on the desk.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 2. May 21, 23:01

You could get monitor mounts that let you tilt the monitor. Some have some fairly high degree of tilt. If you do that, you could mount the monitor to the wall and tilt it to adjust to sitting or standing. There's also some monitor mounts that have a vertical adjustment. But anyway, less stuff on the moving desk to fall would be how i'd deal with it.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. May 21, 23:38

standing/raising desk is definetly worth the money - if you can get it then it's one of most essential element of office space.

Been able to change posture from sitting to standing with dedicated adjustable desk provide very positive impact both in body and in mind.
I've seen many people doing some light excercise/movement standing during the calls - this also helps with stress relief, relaxation and breaking the usual routine of constant sitting.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 22. May 21, 16:59

I'm not so sure that a standing desk is all that you need. It's better than nothing, but it only helps with your legs. Your eyes are still staring at something in the middle distance, your arms are still in the same position, and your brain is still going hard for hours on end. Even with a standing desk, I've found that the best thing to do is to simply get up and move. Swing your arms around to stretch your shoulders, look out a window, get your blood moving, and think about other things. (One of those other things should be some quick calculations to make sure your swinging arms aren't going to hit anything as you wander around. Safety first! ;) Taking 5 minutes every hour or two really helps.

(And that applies to playing video games, too. X4's save system makes shorter but more frequent walk-abouts easy.)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 23:59

I have one, because I'm disabled. It's pretty good, and I used to make use of it a lot. It helped me a great deal initially, but as my condition has deteriorated I've not used it as much.

This probably isn't a good thing, I almost certainly should, but standing for any period of time longer than a couple of minutes hurts now. Is this my fault for giving in to the pain? I can't be sure, but I think it probably is.
I can say that raising desks should be standard for anyone who has to work in an office now, and they should be automatic.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Nashaulk
x3tc

Post by Nashaulk » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 15:40

At my workplace they have tables you can adjust in height and being able to switch from sitting to standing once in a while is a blessing. It also allows for a wider range of motion instead of switching between sitting upright and slouching like a rancid pudding.

For me sitting feels better when I need to focus on a task but in general I prefer to stand up especially when I need to do other tasks like fetching prints and documents.
Cargo bay now contains... Terran Valhalla.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 17:39

I have an electric sit / stand desk from Ikea and dual monitors on gas lift arms. Great investment and worth it. Had to buy longer leads for the monitors to make sure it could reach the computer under the desk when in standing position (and to account for being cable managed within the gas lift arms).

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 04:26

Well the thread is back, so I suppose an update is due.
Thanks for additional comments, folks!

I did end up buying a standing desk, and completely dismantled my own. Though to keep in mind for future, if your desk top fits, you can just buy the frame only, which is significantly cheaper.

I also spent extra on two monitor arm mounts. The thinking was that using them I can place the monitors at much better level than with anything else. And superior to a keyboard tray, at least for me. That worked out.
I can adjust millimeters if I need to.

Raised desk currently maybe gets 25% of my time. Which is helpful, when my neck gets tired, or my back. I can stretch out for a bit.

Additional benefit, is that I can set the best height for when I am sitting. Between the desk and the monitor arms, there's a lot of dimensions I can play around to get it just right. Sometimes I readjust to something else

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 17:10

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 5. Aug 21, 04:26
Between the desk and the monitor arms, there's a lot of dimensions I can play around to get it just right.
You also got more free tablespace, didn't you? Monitor's own leg uses much more space than the arm, if the arm is attached to the edge of the table.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 04:17

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 5. Aug 21, 17:10
fiksal wrote:
Thu, 5. Aug 21, 04:26
Between the desk and the monitor arms, there's a lot of dimensions I can play around to get it just right.
You also got more free tablespace, didn't you? Monitor's own leg uses much more space than the arm, if the arm is attached to the edge of the table.
yes you are exactly right. One of my monitors had fairly large two legs, which are now just empty space. And I am not restricted by where on the desk the legs had to be. (center is taken up buy a cable tray mounted underneath, which I should have considered before mounting it)

The two arms I have are attached at 1/3 intervals along the back.

The trick is to make sure the arms can hold the weight, and so can the desk motor

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 09:38

There are arms that can hold multiple monitors (2, 3, 4, 6). That obviously puts more pressure on the point of table, where the stand is attached. Furthermore, very wide monitors side-by-side would require long arms. (Yes, flimsy ones can't take the weight either.) Cheaper arms lack the easy height adjustment.

I've seen a light monitor on stronger gas/spring(?) arm; extra weights were required or the arm jumped to its max height.

Assemble table legs. Attach cable tray. Turn table right way up. Attempt to attach the monitor arms only to notice that the cable tray is in the way. :oops: Seen that happen.

There is one more size consideration about the arms:
One tech site has a video of setting up dual monitor with dual arm from same vendor. The arms had both VESA 75x75 and 100x100. One of the monitors had 75x75 in an indent, into which the arm's plate (large enough for 100x100) did not fit ...
Considering, that the vendor had basically provided all components with intention to get exposure, such "not compatible" was effective choice?

Some arms include longer screws and washers to get around that problem.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 16:04

I had one monitor I had difficulties mounting, but I think it was the monitor itself. The VESA mount points were rather shallow and the included spacers were either too long or not long enough to appropriately fit the monitor to the mount. But, a trip to the local hardware store and a handful of washers solved that problem. I essentially made my own custom length spacer to fit the screws.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 8. Aug 21, 04:22

for sure research what you are buying. I could've maybe fallen prey but turned okay. The arms were as advertised.

I bought two, one for each monitor, one of which is a wide curved screen. Mostly I wasn't sure one double arm would do, and I was right I think. I can share with my shopping list if anyone would like

Return to “Off Topic English”