Installation of Windows 10 on a new Hard drive

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Installation of Windows 10 on a new Hard drive

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 12:26

Yeah, just checked myself and it was installed on this machine a week ago, haven't noticed any issues yet.

{EDIT] Just looked at the linked information, and it all seems to be referring to people who are on the Microsoft test programme and running Windows 10 version 21H1? No regular home user will be on that version yet.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 13:03

Add me to the list of good update as well. Tbh, I can't remember the last time I had any problems with or as a result of an update.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 14:19

There are other posts from people who have suffered from this update and not on the insider program. I just linked to one thread about this. So its a pretty widespread issue. Even if it doesn't effect everyone.

Edit

Using the media creation tool, seems have have done the trick, it takes time, but so far, I've not had any problems with anymore updates that followed. So if you do run into the issue, and there been a few people at least who had, then the best option to solve it, is to run the tool. Just thought I would do a heads up on this. Just in case.
=

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 12:02

Hi folks :)

Well...it's done!
A few minor hiccups....Couldn't initially navigate the bios on the motherboard. Seems I forgot to plug back in the keyboard :D , One of the Hard drives didn't show up in windows, after swapping the sata cables around still no good, thought the new drive was caput :gruebel: , found disk manager, drive showed up there, gave it a drive letter all done and dusted in 5 minutes. :roll:
Windows boots up in literally 10 seconds. I did a custom install so a lot of 'features' are not present at the moment. I need to download updates for windows probably, and sort out if I need any of Windows 'enhancements' not quite sure about that?

So there's 4 HD's two with the windows 7 stuff on 'em, so I'll have to go through them and see what needs keeping, when that's done I'll format them. I'm not sure what to do with the old 250 gb ssd 'C' drive, I've read it's not a good idea to format SSD's ? :gruebel:
How do you see if 'Trim' is installed...do I need it?

Desktop looks pretty bare at the moment, plugged the internet cable back in after installation and windows detected it and it was more or less set up in a few seconds.
Apart from a little bit of operator error installation took about 10-15 minutes so I was quite pleased at the finish.

Thank's for all the help folks...i'ts appreciated. If there's any more suggestions about what I should be looking for and setting stuff up in Win 10 feel free to comment, all knowledge is useful to me at the moment :thumb_up:

Oldman :)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 12:48

If you're using a microsoft account, download the MS authenticator app on your phone and go set up 2fa on the account. It'll help prevent anyone but you from being able to access your account and any data you have stored there via email or in onedrive, as well as any purchases you've made. You can also provide carte blanche access for devices like your personal machine or xbox for your convenience if you're confident no one you don't want to will use them. It'll use push notifications to grant access so you're not having to key in randomly generated tokens.

A lot of the features of windows 10 are personal preference. I use onedrive to keep a copy of things that are important to me syncd to the web, and that also allows me to use another machine or even my phone to access them whenever/wherever with no hassle. Darkmode is nice to help with eyestrain. Timeline in taskview is pretty nifty as well as is the ability to create multiple desktops and fling apps over to which ever desktop you want to help keep yourself organized.

But, best thing to do is explore what's available and find what you personally like and don't like and go with that and ask questions about something you don't understand. There's a ton of things in there that have some specific or some general uses that can fit a variety of needs. I would not, however, go hunting for guides to tweak your install or blindly listen to people telling you to disable x/y/z just cuz that dang ol' microsoft.

Anyway, you can format SSDs. That won't hurt you but I would only use the quick format method. It's defragging that you don't wanna do. Trim is automatically used in place of defrag for SSDs in windows. If you open up the "Optimize Drives" utility, you will see that SSDs and HDDs are classified differently and what optimization method is being used.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 16:35

I'm glad you got it up an running Oldman.

One thing you want to check is somewhere under the update options, It is enabled "public" by default and allows updates to be drawn from your computer. I've disabled that. Also concerning the MS account: As you may be aware Windows 10 is connected to your hardware which mean any future changes of the Mobo, CPU etc. will invalidate your OS unless you have attached it to an MS account.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 17:33

Run a hard drive test and maybe a short memory test.

M.2 drives sometime disappear/appear and do weird stuff for people sometimes. I'd wait a while to put stuff on it that's not backed up and important.

press windows key + x and click on settings. Updates and security and delivery optimization. Euclid is talking about allow downloads from other pcs. Can also disable updates for 5 or 6 weeks in the Window Update section.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 19:42

Hi :)

euclid wrote:
Fri, 30. Apr 21, 16:35
I'm glad you got it up an running Oldman.

One thing you want to check is somewhere under the update options, It is enabled "public" by default and allows updates to be drawn from your computer. I've disabled that. Also concerning the MS account: As you may be aware Windows 10 is connected to your hardware which mean any future changes of the Mobo, CPU etc. will invalidate your OS unless you have attached it to an MS account.

Cheers Euclid
*Sigh* looks like I'll have to have a Microsoft account then at some time, they have got everything covered. :roll:

Thank's for the info. :)

Oldman :)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 21:22

should point out that the update sharing is for windows 10 pcs on your local network. It's not shared on the web unless you specifically enable that. The purpose is to speed up downloading updates for folks that have multiple devices and to save some ineterwebs bandwidth. If you have more than 1 windows 10 device in your home, especially if you have a metered internet connection, id leave it on.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”