Installation of Windows 10 on a new Hard drive

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oldman
x3tc

Installation of Windows 10 on a new Hard drive

Post by Oldman » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 09:40

Hi Folks :)

I hope you're all keeping well :)
I was thinking of building a new computer sometime this year, but for now I'm biting the bullet and using my present computer to install Windows 10 Home Edition (retail) for the first time.
The present computer has Windows 7 installed, but I thought it was about time I came into the 21st century and moved on to Microsoft's new incarnation :roll:
I know that there are quite a few computer experts that reside on this forum, so I thought to ask for some advice before I install the software. :wink:

Okay, I've just purchased a Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD, and a 3.5 Barracuda 1TB for storage which is sitting on my computer desk at the moment. The Windows 10 Home edition should arrive some time this morning by courier, so I'll be ready to install sometime today or tomorrow.
Just for the record, Computer specs:-

Motherboard. Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
CPU Intel i5 3570K (air cooled)
8GB Crucial DD3 Ram
MSI Geforce Gaming GTX 1060 3GB GPU.
Corsair AX860 W Psu
Haf X Case.
Crucial MX500 250 GB SSD (C drive)
3.5" Western Digital black 500GB storage drive.
Haf X Case.

So, after disconnecting the present drives and fitting the new 1TB SSD drive (I'll fit /connect up the other HD's after installation), should I just bung in the Win 10 pen drive (supplied with the win 10 retail edition) boot up the computer and let the installation 'do it's thing', or should I be monitoring before, during , and after installation what win 10 wants to do?
I've been browsing the web to see what's the best way to install Win 10, but to tell the truth I'm a bit confused, as some information is a bit conflicting. For example one bit of advice says to disconnect from the internet before installation to prevent microsoft setting up an/your account? :gruebel: Also there's a few comments about all the (to quote) 'crap' win 10 likes to install onto your computer during installation, and after. :sceptic:
Oh!...and any recommendations of what virus/malware programs I can use/buy, I'm using AVG at the moment, seems to do the job, but just thought to ask.

Anyway as usual, any advice on setting up win 10, however trivial will be welcome. :)

Oldman :)

red assassin
x3

Re: Installation of Windows 10 on a new Hard drive

Post by red assassin » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 09:56

It looks like current versions of Windows will make you link your account to a Microsoft online account when you install, yes. If you don't want this to happen, you can disconnect from the network at install time to prevent this, or unlink your account later. Using an account will allow you to copy settings etc to new devices automatically, back up your documents with Microsoft's OneDrive service, etc. Up to you.

I would not use a separate antivirus at this point. The built in tools are fine.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 12:20

Hi :)

Thanks for the info. :thumb_up:
Just been reading up on microsoft's account this morning, I don't think I'd be needing this, well, at the moment anyway. I think I'd only be using this comp for some games, a bit of e-mail, printer use etc.
I'd be keeping most data/stuff/files on the storage Hd's . The MB hasn't got wifi so I wouldn't be accessing files from another device etc. I don't think I'd use the 'One Drive' so I can't see much point in having an account. I suppose I might need it if I was to play any Microsoft games?....we'll see.
I'll install windows without internet connection to start with I reckon.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 12:40

I assume you're aware that you might need to go into the BIOS setup and change the boot order to get it to actually boot from the pen drive? Or else press a key to bring up a boot menu you can select it from.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 18:41

Oldman wrote:
Wed, 28. Apr 21, 09:40
The present computer has Windows 7 installed, but I thought it was about time I came into the 21st century and moved on to Microsoft's new incarnation :roll:
A man after my own heart. I also just upgraded to 10 from 7 a little over a month ago. :)
should I just bung in the Win 10 pen drive (supplied with the win 10 retail edition) boot up the computer and let the installation 'do it's thing', or should I be monitoring before, during , and after installation what win 10 wants to do?
That's what I did. And I think it just depend on your motherboard. I did some research on the same thing like you're doing before, and came across instruction on how to change setting to boots from a pen drive ... well, I didn't do any of that and my MB just boots straight into the pen drive with no work done on my part. I didn't have my Win7 drive connected though, so I guess with no option to boots from the MB just went with the pen drive. If you still have your old boots drive connect, the system may prioritize that over the pen drive and you'll need to change it.

I've been browsing the web to see what's the best way to install Win 10, but to tell the truth I'm a bit confused, as some information is a bit conflicting.
I felt the same, and I think the reason is because a lot of them are old information with people are juggling between the free upgrade, how to transfer licenses from an old comp to new comp ...etc... But what you're doing which I assume the same of what I did is just simply installing a fresh retail copy into a new gig, we don't really need to follow 99% of the instruction out there, it's a very straight forward process. Just have your license key ready because it'll ask you for that during the installation, but otherwise it's as simple as install Window 98.

One last thing and this is just a recommendation. The installation was done in about 10minutes for me while I thought it would take 30-45min at least. I don't know if that's a win 10 thing or because I installed it onto a NVMe PCIe SSD. And it takes probably 5-8 seconds to boots up, which is very nice.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 18:51

Hello there :D
pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 28. Apr 21, 12:40
I assume you're aware that you might need to go into the BIOS setup and change the boot order to get it to actually boot from the pen drive? Or else press a key to bring up a boot menu you can select it from.
Ah! yes, this is where I thought I might have problems. I'm still in windows 7 btw, so I put a USB pen drive/stick (not the win 10 one) in a port on the front of the computer, booted into the bios and it shows up there in the boot order, (Uefi usb). So hopefully if I disconnect all the sata cables from the old drives, connect a sata cable to the new SSD drive (I'll probably use the one that was previously connected to the old C drive) , plug in the win 10 usb pen drive and switch the computer on. Hopefully it should then start the installation. I think the installation process can automatically format the new drive beforehand in the Custom install?....I'll find out one way or another. :gruebel:
Well, Win 10 arrived this morning :thumb_up:...but I've been busy with other things today so I'll perhaps have a go at this tomorrow. I expect the computer case/components could also do with a clean up beforehand, it's looking a bit dusty. :oops:
Any other advice welcome, it's been several years since I've done a complete re- install, so I'm feeling a bit 'rusty'.

@ Mightysword ...you must have posted about the same time as I was replying to pjkibbs. :D
Just read your post, and thanks for the information, I feel a bit more confident now. Hopefully everything should go as planned....yeah :roll: .....sod's law is always there though. :rofl:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 19:52

Any reason you just didn't upgrade Win 7 to 10 which you can do by just using the Win 10 installer (download)? You can then just do a fresh win 10 reinstall to your new SSD and it will be licensed. I've linked my MS account to the installations.

I've done this several times including my latest PC I used a old code off a old Dell workstation (currently my Unraid server).
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 22:25

Hi Redvers :)
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Wed, 28. Apr 21, 19:52
Any reason you just didn't upgrade Win 7 to 10 which you can do by just using the Win 10 installer (download)? You can then just do a fresh win 10 reinstall to your new SSD and it will be licensed. I've linked my MS account to the installations.

I've done this several times including my latest PC I used a old code off a old Dell workstation (currently my Unraid server).
:gruebel: ....At the time of the free download which was a few years ago now, can't remember just when, I thought maybe 'mixing' the two would perhaps create a few problems later on (which it did for some). Plus the fact that 'then' I'd got pretty used to the Win 7 OS. and didn't want to change.<------(Dinosaur :D )
Now, for the same reasons as Mightysword, I realized I needed to catch up with the present. I'm aware that Windows 10 apparently can still be downloaded (?) if your installation OS is say Win 7 so in that respect I could have legally downloaded Win 10 to both my computers as each one has a legal separate version of Win 7 home retail.
I suppose in retrospect I could have saved a bit of money doing it that way, but like Mightysword I'm (or feel) happier knowing that when I upgrade my computer later on (with new motherboard) I've got a legal version of Win 10 that should allow me to do so, plus the fact that if I want to totally re-install Win 10 to a clean drive again I've got the 'legal' copy to hand. Shouldn't be a problem.
It's all been a bit confusing the way Win 10 was launched initially, and you've only got to look on the web to see that it's still not totally clear. Supposedly 'now' Win 10 isn't a free download, but *shrugs*...looking on the web tells me another story.

Anyhow, destruction of 'ye old win 7' begins sometime tomorrow, when I get used to the 'new' OS I'll perhaps have another think about my other computer with Win 7 on it :wink:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 22:56

Oldman wrote:
Wed, 28. Apr 21, 22:25
:gruebel: ....At the time of the free download which was a few years ago now, can't remember just when, I thought maybe 'mixing' the two would perhaps create a few problems later on (which it did for some). Plus the fact that 'then' I'd got pretty used to the Win 7 OS. and didn't want to change.<------(Dinosaur :D )
Pretty much like how I went from 7->10 and skip 8 (where is 9 btw, isn't it supposed to be the lucky number), my previous upgrade was from XP -> 7 and skip that disaster called Vista. And just like it is now, the jump was made pretty much when XP is on its honorably deathbed, timed with me getting a brand new computer. Given MS track record, it stands to reason I never get on their early wagon, the lure of a free download never worth the risk IMO. They're kinda like Egosoft in a way, alternating between an experimental relase and a polished release :P

Now, for the same reasons as Mightysword, I realized I needed to catch up with the present. I'm aware that Windows 10 apparently can still be downloaded (?) if your installation OS is say Win 7 so in that respect I could have legally downloaded Win 10 to both my computers as each one has a legal separate version of Win 7 home retail
For me, a window upgrade will always match with a new PC, like turning a new leaf. I have never upgrade window on an old PC. The whole process takes enough time as it is so I want it as hassle free as possible, so yes in that regard having a dedicate copy of Window is preferable for me. Plus this way, I can still keep my old PC as a backup :)
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 00:10

If you have the windows 7 key you can install windows 10 and enter the key after installations done (not during). Install the same version as the key meaning home, pro etc... Worked about 6 months ago.

When you install windows only have the drive you are using the os on installed. This might prevent a few problems and it also might prevent data needed to boot the pc from being installed on a second drive. Meaning if the second drive is removed/dies the pc might not boot.

If the usb windows is a couple years old you might not be able to update windows to the current version. I would not install 20H2 or the latest nvidia driver. Might be a problem with black screens. Maybe try nvidia driver 456.71.

Press f11 (?) when booting or change the boot order in the bios. Different mainboards have different hotkeys to get different places. Two versions of the usb might appear in the list and only one might work.

Pretty much turn off all the privacy options. Windows defender is pretty good.

Disconnect from the internet during install isn't a bad idea.

press windows key and type in services and click on services. Then terminate and disable connected user experiences and telemetry and Distributed Link Tracking Client.

Press windows key + x and click on settings and then go to privacy. Big long list there. Background apps might be of particular interest. Leave defender and nvidia stuff alone.

Can turn off game bar if not needed. Press windows key + x and click on settings then gaming.

press windows key and type in advanced system and click on view advanced system settings and turn off remote assistance ad don't allow remote connections to this computer if desirable.

You can also do minimal installs with rufus and other stuff but that might be a pain. Mostly helps with 1% lows quite a bit and not overall max fps in terms of gaming.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 00:56

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 28. Apr 21, 22:56
(where is 9 btw, isn't it supposed to be the lucky number)
Microsoft have never provided an official explanation that I'm aware of. My favourite theory is that there's code out there that checks if the name of the platform it's running on starts with "Windows 9" to detect 95 and 98.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 02:54

Also back up data thats on the old windows drive. Some files might be protected like photos, videos, documents, etc... and not appear if you hook the old drive up as a data drive. Also any files (not folders ) on the desktop might not be visible as a data drive.

also windows key + x then settings then accounts and sync your settings. Might want to turn it off.

one drive can get stuck in a loop so if you don't use it can uninstall it. Can uninstall a few other things.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 08:08

red assassin wrote:
Thu, 29. Apr 21, 00:56
Microsoft have never provided an official explanation that I'm aware of. My favourite theory is that there's code out there that checks if the name of the platform it's running on starts with "Windows 9" to detect 95 and 98.
There are all sorts of weird compatibility issues due to application programmers not writing their code properly, so that wouldn't surprise me. My favourite was the game "X-Wing: Alliance", which came out in 1999. If you tried to run it on Windows 2000, it would refuse to run in hardware accelerated mode, because it detected it was running on an NT kernel OS and those didn't have hardware 3D acceleration--until Windows 2000, that is. Thing is, there are Direct3D functions you can call to determine the hardware 3D capabilities of the machine, but for some reason the programmers of that game just flat-out didn't use them.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 11:43

Just a heads up, for anyone who is updating to the latest version of windows 10, a certain update named KB5001330 is causing a lot of grief for people. As the update doesn't want to install. (myself included) There are a few reasons why, but the best solution is to download the mediacreationtool.exe and run that. Just do a google search for the update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... dd0?page=1

Ever since their forced update to 20H2 which is a major upgrade, Things haven't gone well. In fact this latest update (KB5001330) is suppose to be a fix for another earlier update that also caused problems. But this is MS, and they been very slow to act. Just a heads up. But if your upgrading from another OS, you shouldn't have this issue. But for those that are on windows 10, you may get hit by this nasty problem.
=

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 12:11

Odd, KB5001330 installed just fine on my standard Win10 Home Premium 20H2 on 14 April with no issues at all. It must be a system/set-up specific issue that causes the problems.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 12:26

Yeah, just checked myself and it was installed on this machine a week ago, haven't noticed any issues yet.

{EDIT] Just looked at the linked information, and it all seems to be referring to people who are on the Microsoft test programme and running Windows 10 version 21H1? No regular home user will be on that version yet.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 13:03

Add me to the list of good update as well. Tbh, I can't remember the last time I had any problems with or as a result of an update.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 14:19

There are other posts from people who have suffered from this update and not on the insider program. I just linked to one thread about this. So its a pretty widespread issue. Even if it doesn't effect everyone.

Edit

Using the media creation tool, seems have have done the trick, it takes time, but so far, I've not had any problems with anymore updates that followed. So if you do run into the issue, and there been a few people at least who had, then the best option to solve it, is to run the tool. Just thought I would do a heads up on this. Just in case.
=

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 12:02

Hi folks :)

Well...it's done!
A few minor hiccups....Couldn't initially navigate the bios on the motherboard. Seems I forgot to plug back in the keyboard :D , One of the Hard drives didn't show up in windows, after swapping the sata cables around still no good, thought the new drive was caput :gruebel: , found disk manager, drive showed up there, gave it a drive letter all done and dusted in 5 minutes. :roll:
Windows boots up in literally 10 seconds. I did a custom install so a lot of 'features' are not present at the moment. I need to download updates for windows probably, and sort out if I need any of Windows 'enhancements' not quite sure about that?

So there's 4 HD's two with the windows 7 stuff on 'em, so I'll have to go through them and see what needs keeping, when that's done I'll format them. I'm not sure what to do with the old 250 gb ssd 'C' drive, I've read it's not a good idea to format SSD's ? :gruebel:
How do you see if 'Trim' is installed...do I need it?

Desktop looks pretty bare at the moment, plugged the internet cable back in after installation and windows detected it and it was more or less set up in a few seconds.
Apart from a little bit of operator error installation took about 10-15 minutes so I was quite pleased at the finish.

Thank's for all the help folks...i'ts appreciated. If there's any more suggestions about what I should be looking for and setting stuff up in Win 10 feel free to comment, all knowledge is useful to me at the moment :thumb_up:

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 30. Apr 21, 12:48

If you're using a microsoft account, download the MS authenticator app on your phone and go set up 2fa on the account. It'll help prevent anyone but you from being able to access your account and any data you have stored there via email or in onedrive, as well as any purchases you've made. You can also provide carte blanche access for devices like your personal machine or xbox for your convenience if you're confident no one you don't want to will use them. It'll use push notifications to grant access so you're not having to key in randomly generated tokens.

A lot of the features of windows 10 are personal preference. I use onedrive to keep a copy of things that are important to me syncd to the web, and that also allows me to use another machine or even my phone to access them whenever/wherever with no hassle. Darkmode is nice to help with eyestrain. Timeline in taskview is pretty nifty as well as is the ability to create multiple desktops and fling apps over to which ever desktop you want to help keep yourself organized.

But, best thing to do is explore what's available and find what you personally like and don't like and go with that and ask questions about something you don't understand. There's a ton of things in there that have some specific or some general uses that can fit a variety of needs. I would not, however, go hunting for guides to tweak your install or blindly listen to people telling you to disable x/y/z just cuz that dang ol' microsoft.

Anyway, you can format SSDs. That won't hurt you but I would only use the quick format method. It's defragging that you don't wanna do. Trim is automatically used in place of defrag for SSDs in windows. If you open up the "Optimize Drives" utility, you will see that SSDs and HDDs are classified differently and what optimization method is being used.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “Off Topic English”