Split from Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Split from Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff

Post by Observe » Sat, 27. Mar 21, 23:21

I agree. X2 had a 'soul' about it that none of the subsequent X-games have managed to capture. It was my introduction to Egosoft and remains my favorite. I liked X3 because it was more modable than X2. Rebirth and X4 I have taken a pass on. Perhaps X5 will direct my interest - if I'm not too old by then. :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 01:57

Observe wrote:
Sat, 27. Mar 21, 23:21
I agree. X2 had a 'soul' about it that none of the subsequent X-games have managed to capture. It was my introduction to Egosoft and remains my favorite. I liked X3 because it was more mod-able than X2. Rebirth and X4 I have taken a pass on. Perhaps X5 will direct my interest - if I'm not too old by then. :)
I absolutely adored X2, and it's probably because it was the first game of its kinda that I had played at that point, in the progression feel real and rewarding.

- Getting my first nova made me feel I stop being a boy and become a man.
- Getting my first centaur ... I felt I could take over the world.
- Getting my first Titan ... I had to find a place to sit down for 5min, just to take it all in.

Those feeling diminished greatly in X3, and X4 pretty much ... non-existence. I think I spent the good first half of X3 life cycle glamouring on the fact that why didn't they just make an expansion for X2 instead of this thing called X3. I like everything in X2 over X3, and the only one reason that made me play X3 over X2 is the factory hub. I think I finally warmed up to X3 around TC though.

X4 (Rebirth + Foundation) the jury are still out on this one for me. On one hand, Rebirth made the jump from a "Space game" to a "Space opera game" for me, and as a space opera nerd that's a big plus. Sadly, as a day one adopter, most of the time I clocked in on Rebirth had very little enjoyment in them. I was more cautious with Foundation, and jumped in when people said it "fixed" most of the issue of Rebirth. And it did ... but it also took a way what I considered the most single important improvement Rebirth brought over X3 - that aforementioned space opera atmosphere because the "space cities" that defined most sector in Rebirth are gone, and we went back to the collection of generic template instead.

Didn't play foundation much before stopping, it just ... didn't draw me in and there were quite a few problem remaining like UI lags, but above all the insistent of the game system making routine/simple manual task in X2/3 to either forced into (bad) AI automation, or hide behind layers of rocket science. My ever prevailing thought in the 300h of playing Rebirt+Foundation is "does something this simple have to be this complicate?" I lost count how many time I have to search the forum for methods of doing the same routine tasks that were a few clicks away in X2/X3 .

Came back a couple months after the Split vendetta DLC, and was quite please with all the improvement and features, namely some of the over-complicate tasks were streamlined for manual handling again, but not all (I still maintain Station manager is a feature that need to be burnt and buried :evil: ). But ... for some reason it still didn't hold my interest for very long. I did make a post back then saying if the game can make a leaf of the same magnitude presented in Foundation -> Split vendetta in its next expansion, then it could become a very good game.

I just put a new rig together, and thinking I'll give the game another try with Cradle of Humanity in the summer, and see if I can lit the old fire or not. I used to think the same, and "maybe" I'm still thinking the same as you. But just to (try to) give the new games a fairer assessments, I wonder if it's the nostalgia. It has been 17-18 years since I played X2, that's a very long time. Maybe it's because the series had changed, or maybe it's because my own taste had changed, but I gonna try to "like it" again one last time. :)
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 07:09

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 01:57

I just put a new rig together, and thinking I'll give the game another try with Cradle of Humanity in the summer, and see if I can lit the old fire or not. I used to think the same, and "maybe" I'm still thinking the same as you. But just to (try to) give the new games a fairer assessments, I wonder if it's the nostalgia. It has been 17-18 years since I played X2, that's a very long time. Maybe it's because the series had changed, or maybe it's because my own taste had changed, but I gonna try to "like it" again one last time. :)
I bought my last two rigs specifically to play X4. - The first one, bought on release, was inadequate due to a mechanical hard drive. - In December I bought a very high spec system, and it does play well, but I have to say I managed just a couple of hours in COH before I really considered other ways of spending my free time.

I *still* don't get how to do half the stuff that's in game, and I think your comments about added complexity are part of the problem. It's like buying an awesome new car, but having to pull into every layby you pass to check the inadequate instruction manual on how to use the indicators, or wash the screen or use cruise control or... And all of a sudden playing becomes a chore.

I'll probs try again in the near future, but at the minute I'd rather spend my free time digging out an area off a small pond to create a little bit of wetland.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Split from Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 10:08

You can discuss X games to your hearts' content in the On-Topic X Game forums. (They're not too bad, honest!) :D

The thread this came from is where people look for bargains and freebies. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”