Laptop Intel HD Graphics 620 - CoH Issues

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

net2000man
x4

Laptop Intel HD Graphics 620 - CoH Issues

Post by net2000man » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 15:50

Hi Gang,

Looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced gaming laptop so I can run X4 4.00 (Cradle of Humanity update), as my system cannot handle the 4.00 update but plays with 3.30 just fine. I bought the update on release day but sadly cannot run it on my current system (thanks, integrated Intel HD Graphics 620) so I need to invest in another small footprint system (I prefer a laptop, but will build a minitower if I must).

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I should look for? AMD vs Intel, NVidia vs AMD, etc . . .

My budget is UP TO $1500 USD, and if there are systems in the sub $1k realm please let me know.

Thanks!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: Laptop Intel HD Graphics 620 - CoH Issues

Post by Tamina » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 16:04

I've played on an integrated GPU as well. Good to know it doesn't work anymore. :D

I have no idea about PCs but if your internet speed is good enough you might want to have a look at GeforceNow. You can keep playing on your current laptop and it is an immeadiate solution to your problem. I wouldn't recommend GeforceNow on games that rely heavily on reaction and input time on a millisecond basis but for a game like X4 it is perfect :)

And it is A LOT cheaper then buying an equivalent PC for 5-10 years. I strongly suspect the prices to go up at some point in the future but why not prolonging the time to buy a new computer until then :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 16:20

A friend of mine recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000, which has a Geforce 1650 TI that should be enough (can't personally confirm, but there's a lot of experienced hardware gurus lurking around the forum... :wink: ). It's around 1400 €, though.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 00:05

I am so down on any laptops that I can recommend none. Even beefiest that I've used are so SLOW when Windows gets to load and index everything.

My only advice if you absolutely have to have one, max out RAM and SSD.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 06:18

You can try geforce now. The free version has a limit of 1 hour sessions but you can play as many sessions per day as you want. You can play the game using custom settings which might use about 1 gb of internet data per hour. Seemed to be ok when I tried it. You might have to start steam first or something to get your save games to show up?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/games/

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:03

can also mention Stadia then. Though how well it runs in the wild I do not know.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:07

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:03
can also mention Stadia then. Though how well it runs in the wild I do not know.
X4 is not on Google Stadia. It only offers a tiny set of some popular games.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 18:35

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:07
fiksal wrote:
ah gotcha, but it is on GeForceNow? Do you know if there are official plans?

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 08:12

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 18:35
Tamina wrote:
Fri, 19. Mar 21, 17:07
fiksal wrote:
ah gotcha, but it is on GeForceNow? Do you know if there are official plans?
As far as I know, it is on GeForceNow.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 08:17

net2000man wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 15:50
Hi Gang,

Looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced gaming laptop so I can run X4 4.00 (Cradle of Humanity update), as my system cannot handle the 4.00 update but plays with 3.30 just fine. I bought the update on release day but sadly cannot run it on my current system (thanks, integrated Intel HD Graphics 620) so I need to invest in another small footprint system (I prefer a laptop, but will build a minitower if I must).

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I should look for? AMD vs Intel, NVidia vs AMD, etc . . .

My budget is UP TO $1500 USD, and if there are systems in the sub $1k realm please let me know.

Thanks!
My advice, don't go for the big brands.
There are companies/shops that take barebones laptops from the likes of Clevo (and others, but not bothered to check for names) where you can spec the contents yourself.

For X4, you really need a GPU from NVidia or AMD/ATI. (for AMD, NOT the one embedded in the CPU)

As for brands, as long as the CPU has fast cores (4 cores, as fast as you can get) and the GPU has enough dedicated memory and meets the recommended spec or above, you should be ok.

If you can find them, the NVidia MAX-Q RTX-chips perform quite well for laptops.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 10:35

Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 08:17
Why not ? You just get an overpriced piece of equipment loaded to the rim with bloat- and spyware 8)

I'm done with nvidia. They are unprofessional and dishonest. They connected their proprietary driver to the linux kernel using open source symbols without disclosing the sources, blamed the kernel to be 'incompatible' when that door was closed, refuse to work with the open source community, deal out low quality drivers for their products, and fob off users and customers with 'try this' snake oil every other week. In short, they have felt like a monopolist for too long.

Am also trying to get me a new pc since several weeks, unfortunately, there are no graphics cards of the AMD 6xxx series available for normal mortals. Pity.

Can recommend these guys (in Europe) for laptops/notebooks: https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en. You're free to choose an OS or none.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 11:20

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 10:35
Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 08:17
Why not ? You just get an overpriced piece of equipment loaded to the rim with bloat- and spyware 8)
Exactly.
I'm done with nvidia. They are unprofessional and dishonest. They connected their proprietary driver to the linux kernel using open source symbols without disclosing the sources, blamed the kernel to be 'incompatible' when that door was closed, refuse to work with the open source community, deal out low quality drivers for their products, and fob off users and customers with 'try this' snake oil every other week. In short, they have felt like a monopolist for too long.
Slightly OT, but I'm actually not happy with the way the kernel developers keep hiding stuff behind the GPL-only filter. Causing issues with other Open Source projects in the process.

AMDs cards don't perform as well as Nvidias just yet in all the games I play.
Am also trying to get me a new pc since several weeks, unfortunately, there are no graphics cards of the AMD 6xxx series available for normal mortals. Pity.

Can recommend these guys for laptops/notebooks: https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en. You're free to choose an OS or none.
I agree with this one as well.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 12:26

Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 11:20
... the way the kernel developers keep hiding stuff behind the GPL-only filter ...
Yeah OT :) , but there's nothing hidden and the GPL it is not linux kernel specific. It is meant to let users run, share and modify free software. Nvidia are the only graphics manufacturer who doesn't abide to the rules (see https://linuxreviews.org/The_Closed-Sou ... d-November). They state
Using non-GPL code with GPL symbols has always been against the rules
It wasn't really enforced before, may have contributed to nvidia's getting so bold. For closed source there are different licenses, e.g. to enable developers to use standard libraries of GPLed compilers (such as the GCC or the GPL-compatible licensed LLVM) to develop closed source software with them. But GPL is GPL and there's a reason why the linux kernel is free. Where'd we end up if we let firms like nvidia get away with it ;-)

Anyway, we're one of kind it seems. I hope OP get their new egg soon(tm). The price limit is realistic, there are laptops in that ballpark with both AMD and Intel cpus, sadly only nvidia 10xx or 20xx cards. But reading about the quality of the 30xx series here in the forum that's probably the better choice for now ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 12:33

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 12:26
Roeleveld wrote:
... the way the kernel developers keep hiding stuff behind the GPL-only filter ...
Yeah OT :) , but there's nothing hidden and the GPL it is not linux kernel specific. It is meant to let users run, share and modify free software. Nvidia are the only graphics manufacturer who doesn't abide to the rules (see https://linuxreviews.org/The_Closed-Sou ... d-November). They state
Using non-GPL code with GPL symbols has always been against the rules
It wasn't really enforced before, may have contributed to nvidia's getting so bold. For closed source there are different licenses, e.g. to enable developers to use standard libraries of GPLed compilers (such as the GCC or the GPL-compatible licensed LLVM) to develop closed source software with them. But GPL is GPL and there's a reason why the linux kernel is free. Where'd we end up if we let firms like nvidia get away with it ;-)
The developers also actively worked against OpenZFS by moving some functions to a GPL-only list. (was available before)
I implemented my own solution to that problem as the performance impact was unacceptable.
Anyway, we're one of kind it seems. I hope OP get their new egg soon(tm). The price limit is realistic, there are laptops in that ballpark with both AMD and Intel cpus, sadly only nvidia 10xx or 20xx cards. But reading about the quality of the 30xx series here in the forum that's probably the better choice for now ...
I have a laptop with a 2080 MaxQ, handles X4 quite nicely.
But no clue about current pricing.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 13:08

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 12:26
Roeleveld wrote:
Currently a 3080 could be sold for more than 2.000 €...

My Zotac 2070 Super AMP Extreme, with a Ryzen 7 3700X allows me to run X4 on max settings (2k resolution). I didn't try 4.0, yet.

Return to “Off Topic English”