Looking for games with "The Expanse" setting

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Looking for games with "The Expanse" setting

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 14:21

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 14:43

Same, but to my taste ships move waaaay too slow and waaaay to much like "Sea ships in Space".
However the idea of Star System based logistic and radar warfare seems promising.
One thing that bothers me much that, from what developers say, they push first for Multiplayer as Single Player and AI is non-existant yet and low priority.
Nope - this is from straight from the dev of falling frontier (from the discord channel):

"
Multiplayer is a massive maybe. There's huge technical challenges there due to physics calculations
Q: Will there be multi-player?
A: At release Falling Frontier will be a single player experience only. Depending upon the success of the game and prototype testing it is something that could be considered. Falling Frontier heavily uses physics in many areas within the game. Due to a number of things out of control of the developer it’s very possible that physics calculations between clients could become out of sync causing a cascading effect of incorrect outcomes which would result in unfair game play emerging.

"

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:54

Good to know MP is out of the window.

Still, one-man dev has a risk of not making to the finish line.

WhiteFang

Post by WhiteFang » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 04:37

The best other Space Game I know of. It is a fully 100% completed game.

One made made it over 25 years.

It has FULL Hotas support and easiest setup to do that.

It has TrackIr.

It absolutely rocks.

It is the masterpiece that is EVOCHRON LEGACY

(you can flip and burn just like in the expanse)

- it is like a non-grindy Elite Dangerous (3D cockpit) rather than an X4, you can land on and explore planets, capture wildlife , burn up going through the atmosphere, has many things in the game (meteors, asteroids, Rover, Terrain Walker, exploring is great, trading, crafting, blueprints, can hire other ships to join you, combat zones which include capital ships, stealth, many ships which you can customise how they are setup and even their shape and colors, military ships you can buy from carriers, can make and destroy stations and cities plus factions and an alien race confirmed and another one rumoured ;) ).

The best thing however is the combat and for me it is better than Elite Dangerous, this includes the AI which operates in teams and a really great HUD. With Newtonian physics and doing strafing by increasing throttle as you kind of burnout around enemies it is massively fun. Includes torpedoes, rail cannons, beams, missiles, mines, stealth weapons, gatling guns etc.

The control setup is great if you have a hotas. I choose to use full throttle forward and reverse to have respective boosting.

Here is a trailer for the lastest version (64 bit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMxGtL ... dA&index=7

I like the old trailer also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hW1cUD ... A&index=20

Combat training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7VdKM ... A&index=14

See my other thread how to control games including this one with very little setup using a tablet, sim dashboard and my completed dashboards:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=440140

Hope that was helpful :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 11. Dec 21, 19:21

Telltale Announces The Expanse: A Telltale Serie
In the near future on the outskirts of the asteroid belt, a bloody mutiny breaks loose on the Artemis. You take the role of XO Camina Drummer, where your choices determine the fate of the ship. What will you do with the truth, Bosmang?
The Expanse: A Telltale Series - Official Reveal Trailer

(Note that this is not the original Telltale Games, but a new studio with the same name. The old one was closed several years ago.)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 10:04

I don't like Telltale style games (both gaming and art).
They are like more fun to watch on YT or by streamer, but The Expanse with Drummer as main character might be interesting.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 12. Dec 21, 14:07

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 12. Dec 21, 10:04
I don't like Telltale style games (both gaming and art).
As you can see in the trailer, the art style is nothing like the traditional one and as X2 mentioned, beyond the name there seems not much remaining from the original team (so I read), so chances are stuff is different.

In any case I'm looking forward for any The Expanse content, even more so if its a game and it includes one of, if not the best character from the series, voiced by bosmang Cara Gee herself.

MFG

Ketraar

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 13. Dec 21, 05:41

Telltale went bust a few years back. Telltale nowadays is pretty much a new company with a handful of the old developers on freelance contract. This (or The Wolf Among Us 2) will be their first non-remake game since.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 4. Feb 22, 09:20

Maybe not ship to ship combat, but still very Expanse like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaBPTYJDqNc

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 11. Feb 22, 20:20

Nebulous Fleet Command has been released today - so far with positive reviews:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8875 ... t_Command/

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 13. Feb 22, 10:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 11. Feb 22, 20:20
Nebulous Fleet Command has been released today - so far with positive reviews:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8875 ... t_Command/
Thanks for the tip. I forgot about this. Although it will be more ""Expanse like" waaay in the future (they don't have campaign, only skirmish and multiplayer modes).

BReilley
x3

Post by BReilley » Mon, 7. Mar 22, 03:02

It’s old, but “Terminus” by Vicarious Visions has some semi-hard sci-fi premises. Newtonian physics, for one. Generally gritty feel and lots of freedom for the player if desired. You can play in story mode or not, like the Battlecruiser(shudder) series.

You can still find used copies around, or .isos probably as well. FWIW I own a physical copy, but for whatever reason could not make it through installation. Downloaded a set of disk images and it worked fine… not sure about modern OS compatibility either, I’m on Windows 7 64-bit and all’s well.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 19:07

I've been getting into Avorion lately. Minecraft meets X, kinda. Single and multiplayer. Design your own ships, stations, turrets...

Linky.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Berhg
x4

Post by Berhg » Wed, 23. Mar 22, 03:22

Objects in Space, retro style spaceship game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8240 ... _in_Space/

Thanks to this threat I got Nebulous: Fleet Command. Thanks guys!
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Wed, 25. Jan 23, 22:07

Late to the party as ever...

Here is my 'non definite list' for something expanse like:

Spaceship sims like the X series

X rebirth VR and regular edition. Heavily modified.
I war & I war defiance (+mods)
I War 2 - Edge of Chaos (+mods)
Helium Rain (+mods)
Infinity Battlescape (PvP)
Objects In Space
Starsector (+mods)
Rebel Galaxy

RTS
Nexus the Jupiter Incident
Terra Invicta
Nebulous Fleet Command

RPG
Mission Critical
Iron Helix

and... some that have a general feel like the Expanse:

Duskers
Tartarus
Kryptark
Void Bastards
Subterrain
Hardspace Shipbreaker

Unfortunately we do not have a game that combines all of these yet.

Have been looking forward to Starfield for over a year now, and its modding capabilities after release.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 26. Jan 23, 16:31

Definetly late to the party - bar the visual novel ones I already own/finished all of the listed titles :D

Still thanks for nostalgia, I really would love I-War 2 remake or even balant rip-off as it had a nice balance between casual Sci-Fi (shields, hyperdrives) and hard Sci-Fi (newtonial physics, real scale star systems, lagrange points, light speed in-system cruise drive).

Return to “Off Topic English”