Movies people love to hate but you love anyway

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Re: Movies people love to hate but you love anyway

Post by Axeface » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 17:30

I feel like most of the suggestions so far arnt hated at all? Except maybe highlander 2.

For me, Wing Commander - I've loved the film since I first saw it as a teenager, I never actually knew that it was badly received until about a year ago where I stumbled upon its metacritic.

Another one that isnt really hated as such but ive seen a lot of complaining about is Sunshine, one of my favourite films of all time.

Another, Starship Troopers, I never understood why is got so much hate - I saw it for what it was back when it came out, but apparently a lot of people didnt get it.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 17:39

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 5. Jan 21, 17:30
I feel like most of the suggestions so far arnt hated at all? Except maybe highlander 2.

For me, Wing Commander - I've loved the film since I first saw it as a teenager, I never actually knew that it was badly received until about a year ago where I stumbled upon its metacritic.

Another one that isnt really hated as such but ive seen a lot of complaining about is Sunshine, one of my favourite films of all time.

Another, Starship Troopers, I never understood why is got so much jip - I saw it for what it was back when it came out, but apparently a lot of people didnt get it.
Well everyone has different tastes, that is for sure.

and also depends on what mood you are in to watch the said film.

generally speaking, most of the original star trek films aren't that great, (apart from 2 which to me is a very good film) but the first film isn't bad, its watchable. while the others, and the next gen lot, I'm not so keen on.

But really depends on your mood, sometimes you just want to watch a corny film for the hell of it.
=

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 17:46

OK I got a good one

STAR WARS THE LAST JEDI!

Best Star Wars movie after the originals, had great potential for 9 if JJ was not a wuss and tried to make SW - The Rise of Fanservice, with idiotic stuff like resurrecting old bad guys and continuing the stupid idea that blood lines had anything to do with the force. WHICH IT F*** DIDNT!!!!

So there.

MFG

Ketraar

Tolmos
x3tc

Post by Tolmos » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 19:21

The 2010 movie Bunraku with Woodie Harrelson and Ron Perlman. It got abysmal reviews and ratings, but it's such a fun movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and watched it multiple times.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 11:08

I liked Highlander 3 myself. I wouldn't say I love it, but it was definitely decent.

Starship Troopers I love. I suspect that half those that dislike it wanted a more accurate-to-the-books version, or didn't get that it was satirical.

Robocop 2 is another I love. Apparently it's not well regarded. Who knew?

The 2011 Conan remake I enjoyed, though the strong female figure plotline was badly tacked on and detracted from the whole.

Waterworld and The Postman I remember enjoying, but it's been years since I saw them.

On the other side of the equation, I really can't stand Mission: Impossible 1 & 2. I'm told the series gets better after but... No. Just no.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:00

it's true I've moved off from the topic "people love to hate", as not many people "love to hate" Matrix.
I'll put it down with the label the movie(s) "I criticize heavily but love anyways".

The movie is visually stunning and with an attempt of a great story. But the further you dig into the idea of this movie the more it falls apart, starting with the premise of humans being used as batteries.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:13

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:00
it's true I've moved off from the topic "people love to hate", as not many people "love to hate" Matrix.
I'll put it down with the label the movie(s) "I criticize heavily but love anyways".

The movie is visually stunning and with an attempt of a great story. But the further you dig into the idea of this movie the more it falls apart, starting with the premise of humans being used as batteries.
Well technically, the brain does generate electricity. So that part is true, and at the scale that the machines were farming humans, it's not a bad idea, if a bit chilling.
=

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:13

Its a metaphor it doesnt need to be real nor realistic, just plausible enough to convey a point.

Much like "The Machines" dont need to be actual machines and the matrix not needing to be an actual virtual world. Its a metaphor on life and awareness of life, your role in it and how can either be blissful ignorant to the "real world" or rather see the truth and cope with the "naked truth" of stuff not be shiny and "the machines" trying to bring you back to conformity.

Just a quick very shallow approach to the theme of the matrix and probably thousands of variations to its interpretation. :P

MFG

Ketraar

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:18

matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:13
fiksal wrote:

Well technically, the brain does generate electricity. So that part is true, and at the scale that the machines were farming humans, it's not a bad idea, if a bit chilling.
Considering how much energy they need to keep us alive, I am not sure we'd even break even. It'd make more sense that Morpheus is just clueless, and machines actually placed people in some sort of a zoo. And that's including all three movies - no characters ever leave the Matrix.

There, I just fixed all three movies! :)

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:13
Its a metaphor it doesnt need to be real nor realistic, just plausible enough to convey a point.
It is.
Everyone has their preferences for suspension of disbelief. Mine for sci fi movies is a lot less tolerant than for fantasy movies.

The movie is also a metaphor for transitioning from one gender to another.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:21

Well The Matrix is more of a fantasy movie than sci-fi, even if it uses sci-fi tropes. Its more in line with Star Wars then with say Star Trek.

MFG

Ketraar

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:24

Yeah, true, but at this rate, we are wondering off topic.

Still, Can't really think of any other films that are bad to be loved. I'm a bit picky at times.

Still, plenty of films I really do like, and that is a separate topic.
=

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:36

fiksal wrote:
Apparently the original script had humans being used for computing, not as a power source, but it was felt that was too difficult to explain in the movie (in the early 90s, before such things were quite so common...).
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:51

red assassin wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:36
fiksal wrote:
Apparently the original script had humans being used for computing, not as a power source, but it was felt that was too difficult to explain in the movie (in the early 90s, before such things were quite so common...).
Yeah, then again, a few films have suffered from script changes, sometimes they work, sometimes not as well.
=

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 21:19

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:21
Well The Matrix is more of a fantasy movie than sci-fi, even if it uses sci-fi tropes. Its more in line with Star Wars then with say Star Trek.

MFG

Ketraar
That could be better if they'd make it clear from the start.
For example, Star Wars makes it clear magic is real. And Star Trek makes it clear magic is real, even if of vaguely technological origin.

red assassin wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 15:36
fiksal wrote:
hm...interesting. I need to think about it. That could be a more interesting idea.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 23:24

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 21:19
But why? Why would there need to be a disclaimer to inform viewers? I saw it (a "few" times) and the thing that makes it one of the best movies is that you can interpret it in many ways. For me its clear that it uses the powers of imagined story telling to inspire people to think about the world, their existence, life and death. Its not for nothing heavily inspired in Ghost in the Shell (the good one).
Still I think it soon makes it obvious that its more fantasy like star wars when Neo's mouth starts to grow shut... :roll:

On topic:
Ghost in the Shell 2017 - not as good as the 1995 one but still enjoyable.
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - I really liked this one, Luc Besson is one of my favourite directors, he keeps make new things instead of rehashing the old. Valerian is again a movie that makes you dream and while its no where near as profound as the matrix its very well crafted and was fun to watch, whish it had made better in box office as I'm interested in seeing this universe expand.

MFG

Ketraar

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 23:33

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 23:24
fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 21:19
But why? Why would there need to be a disclaimer to inform viewers?
It's a better story telling - establish the world where you are telling the story. And I dont mean disclaimer message, I mean a story telling element that's missing.

Ketraar wrote:
Still I think it soon makes it obvious that its more fantasy like star wars when Neo's mouth starts to grow shut... :roll:
Hm, I am not sure we are discussing the same things actually. The in-Matrix world is clearly not governed by cause-and-effect. It not only has "magic" it literally only has magic.

What I meant above is that the so-called "real" world as shown in the movie also has magic. And that part has not been clearly established in the movie, we were just thrown that into our faces in Matrix 2, I believe.

In Matrix 1, we got the common sci fi-y tropes, like anti gravity engines, EMP, head chips, hacker green screens, - I personally can not pin point an instance where I'd say - ah yep, magic is totally real.
Am I missing something obvious?

Ketraar wrote:
Ghost in the Shell 2017 - not as good as the 1995 one but still enjoyable.
I think I like them both actually for different reasons. (re)watched first one back to back with the new one.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:10

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 23:33
What I meant above is that the so-called "real" world as shown in the movie also has magic.
But is it the real world? At no point you have credible source telling you that you are in a "real" world. All the people within (especially in 1) THINK they know the truth and one thing we can take from mostly 2 and later 3 is that no one has any real clue and everyone just does the things they THINK they have to and that those things are right. If we go with the notion of Neo being the 6th "version", how would Morpheus know the difference between real and fake? He was just as TOLD "the truth" as he did to Neo, the difference being that Neo dint do the thing he was supposed to do (whatever that means) he thinks he did it because he had a choice, but we dont really know if he did, nor does he and I'm not sure he is aware until very late in 3.

Anyway I'm ranting on. The Matrix is a metaphorical movie and at no point it is to be taken as realistic or of representation of reality, its made to highlight and portray some ideas and mess around with our head trying to make us question our own reality.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: Yes I really like the matrix :p

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:39

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:10
fiksal wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 23:33
What I meant above is that the so-called "real" world as shown in the movie also has magic.
But is it the real world? At no point you have credible source telling you that you are in a "real" world. All the people within (especially in 1) THINK they know the truth and one thing we can take from mostly 2 and later 3 is that no one has any real clue and everyone just does the things they THINK they have to and that those things are right. If we go with the notion of Neo being the 6th "version", how would Morpheus know the difference between real and fake? He was just as TOLD "the truth" as he did to Neo, the difference being that Neo dint do the thing he was supposed to do (whatever that means) he thinks he did it because he had a choice, but we dont really know if he did, nor does he and I'm not sure he is aware until very late in 3.
That's what I call making the movie look smarter than it is :) What you describe could have been an interesting movie as well, but it doesnt appear that this is what have been made. Characters never doubt the reality of the "real" world.
And I think because the writers never thought of it.

In general, when watching a movie I accept the reality of the world that is shown in the movie, as the reality of that movie. (Terminator world, Hellboy world, Apollo 13 world). Sci fi movies generally try to ground them in some kind of relateable reality, so do fantasy movies, but to lesser extent.

Still though, my opinion is not that much different, as I said, I dont think events in 3 movies happen outside of Matrix at all. One may wonder if those are even humans and are not just loose AI ;)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:53

There are plenty of movie and story examples that use unreliable narrator, again I dont claim to know what the writers intended, its just how I interpret the movie, at the beginning I too thought I was told truths, but soon realised that most, especially Morpheus (our truth teller) had no clue what he was talking about, he just told a story some told him and he happen to want to believe it hard to create purpose to his life. As said later on and especially in 3 its evident to me that no one is telling us the truth, they all tell their versions of what they THINK is true or were told it was. Putting in to question reality and what the meaning of life is. (its clearly 42 but they didnt know :p )

MFG

Ketraar

Edit didnt catch the last line before hitting reply, but yeah could well be

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:54

I'll agree with this.

Have you heard there's a 4th in plan? Maybe just rumors.

Return to “Off Topic English”