SpaceX is doing it again

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Re: SpaceX is doing it again

Post by red assassin » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:36

Landed it and blew it up - it's the perfect spectator outcome, really!

edit: I love the flight stages display on the NASASpaceflight.com stream: https://i.imgur.com/YHN8wlT.png
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:46

red assassin wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:36
edit: I love the flight stages display on the NASASpaceflight.com stream: https://i.imgur.com/YHN8wlT.png
I'd not noticed that :lol:

EDIT: that is a post from a random watching the stream, not a post by anybody associated with NASA etc.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:49

I called my wife over to watch this live and said "Wanna see a spaceship blow up?", it landed fairly ok (I knew it was a bit hard) and was sitting like the leaning tower of piza, but it landed. She walks off disappointed...
Yeh she missed it ;p

It was incredible though, and they let it right itself at 500m, in freefall!? Thats insane it managed it at all.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:53

SpaceX is the living embodiment of try, fail, learn, try again, repeat.

They deserve a lot of respect for that.
I can't breathe.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:53

RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:46
red assassin wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:36
I'd not noticed that :lol:

EDIT: that is a post from a random watching the stream, not a post by anybody associated with NASA etc.
Yeah, to be clear. NASASpaceflight.com is an independent news site, not a part of NASA. (Starship itself has little to do with NASA, for that matter.) But they do great coverage of these test flights, and don't turn their livestream off right before it blows up, unlike the official SpaceX one!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:58

Yeah I like nasaspaceflight.com, but they're nothing official in terms of NASA or SpaceX etc.
I can't breathe.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:04

From someone who has no technical knowledge of spaceflight whatsoever.

What exploded here? Hadn't it allready landed again? Is there still so much fuel left after the landing?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:20

clakclak wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:04

What exploded here? Hadn't it allready landed again? Is there still so much fuel left after the landing?
I think there's a lot fuel after landing. An by "a lot" I mean "enough to be dangerous". You don't want to have your can empty when you only need a couple turns before finishing an endurance race.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 13:16

clakclak wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:04

The last thing you want to do is have the thing run out of fuel the second it touches down. What if atmospheric conditions or the like force you to use more fuel during the braking burn? Are you OK with running out of fuel 100m up and just regular crashing? So of course there's going to be some reserve fuel available. In an ideal world said fuel wouldn't explode shortly after landing, but we don't live in that one, unfortunately.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 16:13

I think, forgetting it didn't quite work this time, the visual impact of seeing a damned rocket do stuff like that still feels like science fiction. It's simply awesome.

And I imagine part of the testing will involve landing it with fuel to see what happens. I don't know how much fuel it burns in a second of flight on its way up, but I'm sure there's always gonna be a few seconds leeway for the upward leg, meaning it's gonna have more than a few kilos of boom fluid still in when it kisses the ground....

...or Glasgow kisses it on occasion.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 18:44

RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 00:31
And then lol.

Damn I wish I could afford this for a hobby :).
You can move to Thailand. They have a yearly rocket festival. Not quite as glamorous and scientific as SpaceX of course, but if you want a lot of smoke, things shooting off platform and explosive landing as a hobby, it'll fit right in. :)
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 6. Mar 21, 13:00

I'm still waiting for Elon to go to Mars. I can think of a few other people who could accompany him.

(I'm thinking Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B here though.)
A flower?

Ethan13

Post by Ethan13 » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 12:52

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 16:13
I think, forgetting it didn't quite work this time, the visual impact of seeing a damned rocket do stuff like that still feels like science fiction. It's simply awesome.

And I imagine part of the testing will involve landing it with fuel to see what happens. I don't know how much fuel it burns in a second of flight on its way up, but I'm sure there's always gonna be a few seconds leeway for the upward leg, meaning it's gonna have more than a few kilos of boom fluid still in when it kisses the ground....

...or Glasgow kisses it on occasion.

The last two live broadcasts seemed to me to be computer graphics. And so many people have also talked about it.
It's great that real tests of space rockets can now be mistaken for graphics.
I wonder what awaits the first manned mission to Mars?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:03

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Sat, 6. Mar 21, 13:00
I'm still waiting for Elon to go to Mars. I can think of a few other people who could accompany him.
I recall his said he won't be moving to Mars even if he could, but he will allow his kids if they will want to (which I doubt - as a child of billionare I wouldn't want to go to cold desert wasteland of Mars).

Ethan13

Europe is starting to freak out about the launch dominance of SpaceX

Post by Ethan13 » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:09

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03 ... cex/?amp=1

What European space companies do you think can create a good alternative for Europe?
Everyone needs to launch satellites. Which companies do you see as the best? Or which ones do you root for?

clakclak
x3

Re: Europe is starting to freak out about the launch dominance of SpaceX

Post by clakclak » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:44

Literally no knowledge when it comes to rockets, like I allready mentioned plenty of times, but I would assume a big company like Airbus Defence and Space might have an easier time breaking into the market than smaller start ups.
Last edited by clakclak on Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:46

Airbus, Alenia, Avio are the first ones coming to my mind possibly having the know how to attempt something like this. But they're just the "famous" ones, so I'm sure a miss a lot of valid companies.
And I wouldn't exclude some engineering division from automotive.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 14:55

If you still count the UK as part of Europe then Richard Branson (Virgin Galactic) would be a future candidate.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 17:21

Arianespace is already there and has an excellent reputation as far as launch vehicles go, so it's really up to them to lead this competition.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 21:15

SpaceX now has years of lead-time in the development of reusable rockets. Existing established players now have a lot of catching up to do after decades of relative stagnation in the launch industry, while other startups are a long way behind SpaceX's position. Established players have some reputation and reliability positives, but as Boeing has demonstrated, being a long-established, respected company doesn't necessarily mean freedom from stupid errors. And SpaceX's launch cadence means their lifetime reliability stats are rapidly ticking upwards. There's some space (ahem) in the market for, say, small satellite launchers like Rocket Lab's Electron, and big enough government agencies and companies obviously have an interest in preserving some competition in the launch market and/or indigenous capability even if that means paying for more expensive rockets sometimes. But that aside... why would you not fly with SpaceX at this point? And more to the point, how long is it going to take to get to the point that there is realistic competition again? I'm not convinced the legacy launch industry is capable of catching up at all at this point, and it's difficult to see many startups making it until one comes along that figures out how to significantly one-up SpaceX like they have the existing industry.

Return to “Off Topic English”