Biden

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Re: Biden

Post by Axeface » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 11:42

If you just increase your monitor gamma you will see the obvious cut lines, its very, very badly done. The article says she has been circulating this photo, its possible that there is some reason for it (like maybe someone in the original photo background didnt want to be shown) but in any case, its incredibly stupid to do this. Use another photo or explain why its shopped.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 17:43

been watching the Inauguration for Biden, just heard Lady Gaga, don't know about anyone else, but she was a bad choice. Can't say I ever thought much of her to be frank, but her singing of the national anthem, she was totally tone deaf, and a turn off. Otherwise its been ok for the most part. But yeah, Lady Gaga, utter horrid.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 00:42

The first sweep of executive orders are in. Among the orders signed is an immediate halt on funding of Trump's stupid wall, beginning process to rejoin the Paris accords, halt of the US's withdrawal from the WHO and appointment of Dr. Fauci as the lead of the US delegation to the WHO, end of the Muslim travel ban, and a mask mandate on all federal property.

Love it.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 12:21

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 21. Jan 21, 00:42
The first sweep of executive orders are in. Among the orders signed is an immediate halt on funding of Trump's stupid wall, beginning process to rejoin the Paris accords, halt of the US's withdrawal from the WHO and appointment of Dr. Fauci as the lead of the US delegation to the WHO, end of the Muslim travel ban, and a mask mandate on all federal property.

Love it.
Glad that stupid wall is been stopped, I bet Trump will be furious about that mind. LOL. Biden certainly done well for his first day in office.
=

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 12:29

Will the US now engage Iran over weapons grade nuclear material and the like? As I remember, it was widely suggested Trump withdrew out of spite, not out of political acumen. - Can Biden re-engage with a simple executive order, or will it be starting from scratch?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 12:44

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 21. Jan 21, 12:29
Will the US now engage Iran over weapons grade nuclear material and the like? As I remember, it was widely suggested Trump withdrew out of spite, not out of political acumen. - Can Biden re-engage with a simple executive order, or will it be starting from scratch?
I heard talk that Biden wants to go back to the deal. Trump withdrew because he wanted to dismantle everything from the last administration. So Biden is now doing the same to Trump's legacy. (but better reasons)

Not sure if this will save the deal mind, as Iran might still carry on making nuclear grade stuff. At least there won't be a war, not unless Iran provokes America. I guess we have to wait and see.
=

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 13:30

I think Biden is going to try to be part of the world again and the "Iranian nuclear" is just one of the things he's going to make some steps back from the recent past for. Climate treaties are another one.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 21. Jan 21, 22:03

matthewfarmery wrote:
Thu, 21. Jan 21, 12:21
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 21. Jan 21, 00:42

Love it.
Glad that stupid wall is been stopped, I bet Trump will be furious about that mind. LOL. Biden certainly done well for his first day in office.
I doubt Trump cares. The wall was a grift to put taxpayer money in the hands of Steve Bannon, Brian Kolfage, and a few others. It wasn't his money to begin with and he doesn't pay taxes so why would he care how it's spent?
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:01

ok this is huge.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... te-prisons

If the end of private prisons are on the horizon, this is a massive step forward in criminal justice reform. The profiteering engaged by the businesses running prisons across the country has been out of control for years.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 27. Jan 21, 09:27

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 26. Jan 21, 21:01
ok this is huge.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ry ... te-prisons

If the end of private prisons are on the horizon, this is a massive step forward in criminal justice reform. The profiteering engaged by the businesses running prisons across the country has been out of control for years.
Private prisons are a criminal mean to administer justice and the fact USA finally wants to close them is good news. I doubt it's going to be easy to do so, though.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 10:35

Yesterday, Biden announced an end of all offensive support for Saudi Arabia, including arms sales, for the war in Yemen. Instead, the US will be spearheading diplomatic solutions and humanitarian aid while backing the UN's push for a cease fire. It is quite a refreshing change since the US's military involvement started under Obama and significantly escalated under Trump. And it's nice to see the state department being used for what it's meant for rather than campaigning on behalf of the incumbent president.
rebellionpac.com

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 08:17

WAPO wrote:First migrant facility for children opens under Biden
Article

This is still wrong. No matter if Trump or Biden does it. Sure, it may still be morally more defendable than what the EU is doing at it's border, but that does not mean it is good by any means.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:02

clakclak wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 08:17
WAPO wrote:First migrant facility for children opens under Biden
Article

This is still wrong. No matter if Trump or Biden does it. Sure, it may still be morally more defendable than what the EU is doing at it's border, but that does not mean it is good by any means.
Perhaps it's just an emergency solution. A very expensive one, apparently.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 15:10

From some little snippets I saw in the article, it sounds as if the kids are coming across without parents or someone to care for them. They've gotta go somewhere. Whether the government is running it or it's some kind of foster home, it doesn't really make a difference. They also said it's only for a month - partially for covid quarantine but also to locate the sponsors that will be caring for the kids.

Big difference between what's going on here and what Trump was doing. Trump was separating kids from their parents and essentially torturing those families for having the audacity to try to come live in the US. This circumstance is not even remotely the same thing.
rebellionpac.com

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 14:27

I am curious, what people think about immigration in general, not just the USA, but everywhere.

Should people be allowed to travel to wherever they want, where they perceive a better life is available, without restriction?
Second question would be: Would that really be feasible?
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:10

I don't have a problem with immigration. Someone wants to come over here for a better life, presumably a part of that is having a job. And having a job also means paying taxes. It's a win/win. There also needs to be some reasonable expectations set for those seeking to come here. If we're in a situation, like the current COVID deal where millions have been displaced from work, it may be difficult to find work.

I find the general opposition to immigration, though, stems primarily from racism and/or xenophobia. The arguments against are always weak, like "dey tuk are jerbs" or calling them all criminals and so forth. Here in the US, at least, we have far more criminals that are citizens than are immigrants. And I've never met anyone who lost their job because there was an immigrant that was better qualified than they were; I've known several that lost their jobs because they sucked at it and had no work ethic.

I see a lot of immigrants just want to live free and earn there way and I just can't see any reason why we should deny them that opportunity. Most of us are here now today because our ancestors wanted that very same thing.
rebellionpac.com

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:18

Some of my best friends immigrated from Pakistan, another from China and another from the Philippines. They have some of the greatest work ethics I have ever seen, I am wholly for immigration. They genuinely came here to find a better life, and add to the US in the process.

I think the world needs to improve its immigration processing, so that no one feels the need to illegally enter the country. Make it easier so that people could enter in legally and technically “exist” within that country. I think it’s better for the inhabitants for the country who already lived there, it spreads ideas and ends stereotypes. It also is just the morally right thing to do.

I dream of a world that people could just live in peace, and that people didn’t need to flee from their countries in the first place. I think the idea of denying someone entrance to a country is absurd because of where they were born. They certainly didn’t have any choice, but they chose to leave that area because they wanted to live somewhere else.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 21:56

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:10
because they sucked at it and had no work ethic.
Couldn't agree more. I knew someone who employed Polish people way ahead of English people, because of just this. I spoke to two of them, they worked very hard, spending nothing really, but saving for a move back to Poland and their future. One was saving for a house, the other for a farm.

But, my question was more about how sustainable it all is. I seem to remember an article produced by the UN which suggested that there could be as many as 100 million immigrants inbound to Europe from Sub Saharan Africa, by 2050. That is an awful lot of people in a relatively small span of time. Wish I could find the article. Many more from Asia too, so how sustainable?

Surely a way to make things fairer, would be to spread the wealth around the world better, raise the standard of life everywhere. Personally I would love to live in Southern Africa, for various reasons, not least astronomical! Would people then be so interested in coming to a country like the UK, when there are so many more interesting places to go. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 22:31

I can't speak to anything really going on in the EU but obviously the US couldn't sustain the entire population of central and south America should all of them decide to up and move to the US. When population growth exceeds a country's capability to sustain its people, then that's obviously a problem.

There's not really an easy answer to that. The leading developed nations should take an active role in helping to advance other less developed nations without cramming their religious and political ideologies down their throats. Over the long term, if every nation were self-sufficient and able to provide opportunities for their citizenry, there would be far less desire for immigration. Everyone involved would stand to gain and exploitation would be globally reduced.

The bottom line is that if countries invest in people, everyone wins. But so long as there's greed and "me first" driving the boat, we're not gonna get very far.
rebellionpac.com

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 23:26

greypanther wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 14:27
I am curious, what people think about immigration in general, not just the USA, but everywhere.[...]
No borders, no nation. No human being is illegal.

I know to many refugees I call my friends to come to any other conclusion. The people I call my friends will always be closer to me and live a life closer to the one I know than Beate Heister ever will, even though both she and I are German.

Nationality is a disease.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”