Biden

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Biden

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 00:15

So, it seems he won and all his predecessor can do is stalling the process of him being the new POTUS.

I'm not sure yet what to think about it. At least the tone will be more civil as Biden is a professional politician and not sharkpool capitalist. But I'm not sure if US policy will be better. However, I'm cautious optimistic, though I don't harbour great expectations in the new President. Personally I'd be happy enough if the USA under Biden will not go to war and that he can undo at least some damage to the country he represents.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Axeface
x4

Re: Biden

Post by Axeface » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 02:29

I think its a testament to just how much Trump is hated that Biden got elected, and biggest turnout in history no less. He is very old, hes not charismatic like Obama, hes not a great orator, he's not particularly spectacular at all - and thats probably what a lot of people wanted, a bit of peace and quiet after 4 years of constant verbal diarrhea.
Personally I just dont know much about him. Im reading into him and his family now. At face value he seems like a decent enough guy, but then again hes the president-elect of the united states, so - we'll see.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 02:34

Axeface wrote:
Mon, 9. Nov 20, 02:29
I think its a testament to just how much Trump is hated that Biden got elected, and biggest turnout in history no less. He is very old, hes not charismatic like Obama, hes not a great orator, he's not particularly spectacular at all - and thats probably what a lot of people wanted, a bit of peace and quiet after 4 years of constant verbal diarrhea.
Personally I just dont know much about him. Im reading into him and his family now. At face value he seems like a decent enough guy, but then again hes the president-elect of the united states, so - we'll see.
Biden is a good person. It was vital that Trump go which is why I voted for Biden, but he's a corporate democrat that's willing to advance republican interests. He's one of the many that favor wall street over main street.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 08:58

My theory is that to be in such high places, you have to come to compromise a lot. So, no US President (or any corporate super-manager, or high ranking politician around the world) will never be what normal people would call "a good person". Off course, there's the bad and the worse, but that's it.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 9. Nov 20, 09:25

To me [as an european], the important and lasting factor in the Biden package is Harris. And that Trump ended, of course. But that's just a nice bonus.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 16. Nov 20, 22:48

As far as I could tell, the only thing Biden had going for him was not being Trump. Enough for me tbh.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 02:29

For some reason, I started a topic called Biden in this exact forum the day after the election, and it was deleted for some reason? Like the moderators didn't feel it was worthy of it's own thread, when there was a thread about Trump going on? I mean, what the crap?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 08:44

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 02:29
For some reason, I started a topic called Biden in this exact forum the day after the election, and it was deleted for some reason? Like the moderators didn't feel it was worthy of it's own thread, when there was a thread about Trump going on? I mean, what the crap?
It wasn't deleted, it was merged with the Trump thread, as you can see:

viewtopic.php?p=4988693#p4988693

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 19:23

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 9. Nov 20, 08:58
My theory is that to be in such high places, you have to come to compromise a lot. So, no US President (or any corporate super-manager, or high ranking politician around the world) will never be what normal people would call "a good person". Off course, there's the bad and the worse, but that's it.
Unless Democrats flood GA to flip the Senate. Then you can kiss compromise part goodbye. Yang already openly admitted he moved to GA for the election.
Beyond that point the will be no point in having any states or electoral college if averyone can move around to flip states without any limitation.
There should be some kind of minimal residence time limit, like one year to prevent it.

Edit: BTW Republicans could do the same, so it would be funny, if somehow GA would get a few milion new residents in January - totaly normal, nothing to see here :)
Last edited by mr.WHO on Tue, 17. Nov 20, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:11

Several posts almost exclusively discussing Trump and echoing similar posts in the Trump thread split and moved across. Please let Biden be the topic of this thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:20

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 19:23
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Unless Democrats flood GA to flip the Senate. Then you can kiss compromise part goodbye. Yang already openly admitted he moved to GA for the election.
Beyond that point the will be no point in having any states or electoral college if averyone can move around to flip states without any limitation.
There should be some kind of minimal residence time limit, like one year to prevent it.

Edit: BTW Republicans could do the same, so it would be funny, if somehow GA would get a few milion new residents in January - totaly normal, nothing to see here :)
That's not realistic, either way. No sane person would want to move to GA just for the sake of maybe tipping an election. The weather sucks, traffic is a nightmare, especially around Atlanta, and it's full of rednecks and hillbillies. The only reason GA is even on the map is because of the airport in Atlanta. Even if they did, they deserve representation in congress just like everyone else and they're entitled to vote for their representative.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:36

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:20
mr.WHO wrote:
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:

That's not realistic, either way. No sane person would want to move to GA just for the sake of maybe tipping an election. The weather sucks, traffic is a nightmare, especially around Atlanta, and it's full of rednecks and hillbillies. The only reason GA is even on the map is because of the airport in Atlanta. Even if they did, they deserve representation in congress just like everyone else and they're entitled to vote for their representative.
Then you're saying Yang is insane?
Or that someone deserve a representation because he decided to move for a few weeks specifically in election time?
I know we should "trust" that voters are honest, but he openly admitted on Twitter and encouraged people to do the same (if he's not insane then he's definetly stupid).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:36
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 20:20
mr.WHO wrote:

Or that someone deserve a representation because he decided to move for a few weeks specifically in election time?
I know we should "trust" that voters are honest, but he openly admitted on Twitter and encouraged people to do the same (if he's not insane then he's definetly stupid).
If he's moving to GA just for that, yes, he's insane. Picking up and moving is a massive PITA, trust me, I've done it more times than I care to admit. And finding someone that's going to rent out a place on a month to month basis is going to be difficult. 90% of rentals are 12 month leases. And buying a home will take 1-2 months minimum just to get the paperwork done. And usually to get an ID in a state, you have to prove residency by providing a utility bill or something in your name. I'm just saying, the logistics of a few, let alone thousands trying to do that, it's not realistic. Maybe Yang is crazy enough to do it, he's also loaded. The average joe, nuh uhh.
rebellionpac.com

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:32

mr.WHO wrote:
Mr. Yang is neither insane nor stupid: registration & residency requirements by state :P

As you can see, you do not have to be a resident to register to vote in Georgia.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:48

Nanook wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:32
mr.WHO wrote:
Mr. Yang is neither insane nor stupid: registration & residency requirements by state :P

As you can see, you do not have to be a resident to register to vote in Georgia.
Georgia also requires people to have state issued ID to vote and the moment you claim residency in GA, your ID is supposed to be invalidated for any other state.
rebellionpac.com

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:49

Nanook wrote:

Ok, so maybe not insane nor stupid , but can we at least agree it's dishonest? This is literally the definition of using loophole to game the system. I hope this is not a popular idea, otherwise it's the kinda of stuffs that fuel conspiracy. Sure, you can do it, but this is not something you do and expect the opposition to just sit there and take it. It's the kinda of action that will ensure countermeasure, and both will be bad for Democracy.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:52

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:48
Georgia also requires people to have state issued ID to vote and the moment you claim residency in GA, your ID is supposed to be invalidated for any other state.
It's not like he will need the ID to vote anywhere else than in GA anytime soon.

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:24
If he's moving to GA just for that, yes, he's insane. Picking up and moving is a massive PITA, trust me, I've done it more times than I care to admit. And finding someone that's going to rent out a place on a month to month basis is going to be difficult. 90% of rentals are 12 month leases. And buying a home will take 1-2 months minimum just to get the paperwork done. And usually to get an ID in a state, you have to prove residency by providing a utility bill or something in your name. I'm just saying, the logistics of a few, let alone thousands trying to do that, it's not realistic. Maybe Yang is crazy enough to do it, he's also loaded. The average joe, nuh uhh.

I didn't check the full GA numbers, but it looks like it will be tight race for those 2 Senate seats - you don't need huge amount of people to flip it. Several thousand "loaded" person like Yang is not much for USA.
Not to mention all the things you mentions are nothing for them, they probably don't even fill the paperwork beyond their signature, will not show to GA bar taking the ID and election day and it would be very easy to find friendly democrat to rent a house for a month or two.

Nanook wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:

Nice to see there are actually some States that have minimum residency time,but 30 days is too short for my taste. 1 Quarter would be good, 1 year would be better.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 17. Nov 20, 23:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:52
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:48
It's not like he will need the ID to vote anywhere else than in GA anytime soon.
State issued IDs serve more purposes than just for voting. Not to mention, tax year ends at the end of December. Changing residency has tax implications.
mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:52
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 21:24

I didn't check the full GA numbers, but it looks like it will be tight race for those 2 Senate seats - you don't need huge amount of people to flip it. Several thousand "loaded" person like Yang is not much for USA.
Not to mention all the things you mentions are nothing for them, they probably don't even fill the paperwork beyond their signature, will not show to GA bar taking the ID and election day and it would be very easy to find friendly democrat to rent a house for a month or two.
If you're really this concerned about it, write your sena... o wait. nvm. Maybe petition your government to file a complaint with the US government.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 18. Nov 20, 08:56

In some ways, it makes sense voting in the place you work (your domicile) instead of the place you have the residency (your residence). This way, if you residence is in New Jersey but you work in Georgia (where you actually live most of the year), it's not that absurd the will to vote in the latter. There needs to be a limit, of course, like you need to be there for at least 6 months in the current year.
I don't know about the specific case you mentioned, but I agree on the fact it can (and will / has been) be exploited.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 18. Nov 20, 16:21

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 17. Nov 20, 23:00
If you're really this concerned about it, write your sena... o wait. nvm. Maybe petition your government to file a complaint with the US government.
Not really care as much, I'm concerned out of general balance of power - seems that when all was in Republican hands liberties died and America invaded some countries and when all was in Democrats more liberites died and America stayed in those countries and started drone striking several others - not much of a difference for an outsider.

Seem like having Ds and Rs in check and limiting eachother is least problematic scenario for the rest of the world - at least they didn't started any new war while having at lest several opportunities.

For all the bitchin about Trump and Pelosi it kinda sorta functioned, so fliping this and having Republican senate should function too - not great but not worst case either.

Return to “Off Topic English”