Sport

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Sport

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 19:06

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 17:04
I honestly expected more from him, because it has been pictured like a manager with a very enjoyable playstyle, which hasn't been the case.
That's what I meant when I asked how you're treating him. He gonna need specific players to make his trademark sarri-ball system to work, I hope you guys are not thinking "here's one of the best player on the planet make it work". If you hire a manager for something he needs backing for that something to work. Juv seems more like a club that wants the manager to work with what they have rather than 'accommodating' the manager. Given his work at the limited resource Napoli, there is little doubt about his quality in working with series A.

I mentioned this becuase this has been a problem with UtD since Fergie left, we kept trying to make marque signing, players that individually are great on paper but together don't fit into any specific style, and so we had so many flops both in term of manager and players. Fortunately Ole seems to be fixing that, and we're building a specific branch of football now (or going back to a specific branch of football).

I don't think Juv fan is that bad, not comparing to Real's fan at least, but that's setting the low standard.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 29. Jul 20, 16:30

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 19:06
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 17:04
I honestly expected more from him, because it has been pictured like a manager with a very enjoyable playstyle, which hasn't been the case.
That's what I meant when I asked how you're treating him. He gonna need specific players to make his trademark sarri-ball system to work, I hope you guys are not thinking "here's one of the best player on the planet make it work". If you hire a manager for something he needs backing for that something to work. Juv seems more like a club that wants the manager to work with what they have rather than 'accommodating' the manager. Given his work at the limited resource Napoli, there is little doubt about his quality in working with series A.

I mentioned this becuase this has been a problem with UtD since Fergie left, we kept trying to make marque signing, players that individually are great on paper but together don't fit into any specific style, and so we had so many flops both in term of manager and players. Fortunately Ole seems to be fixing that, and we're building a specific branch of football now (or going back to a specific branch of football).

I don't think Juv fan is that bad, not comparing to Real's fan at least, but that's setting the low standard.
I totally agree with your point of view, still as a fan I expected him to find the proper way to make a trio like Douglas Costa, Dybala and Cristiano Ronaldo (plus Higuain and Bernardeschi in the roster) work in a different way than they actually did. And I'm not talking about better of worse, but more often than not the plays looked like individual choices by exceptional players instead of schemes studied and tried during training (which we saw a lot more with Allegri, adapting the playstyle to the opponent, even during the match).
He's an experienced manager (even if relatively new at high level), that's why he didn't impress much.

The issue in Utd (I'm not very expert on Premier League, so I may say a lot of stupid things) looks more like the property buying players just because they can, not because they need them. At Juventus, (in recent years) that only happened with Ronaldo, which has clearly been a marketing move before than a functional, tactical choice. Then, of course, we're talking about a player who, no matter the reason you buy him for, is going to improve any team. But there's only a very small number of players like that in the world, you can count them with a single hand.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 00:30

I'm probably the lone Everton fan on here.
We're a rare breed these days.

But hey, 'Carlo fantastico, Carlo magnifico', we have some things to be excited about.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 14. Aug 20, 23:25

To all the teams that crashed out the champion league last weeks and this weeks, they can now find solace and say "at least we're not Barcelona".

Holy crap what did I just watch? :o

The word mercy doesn't seem to exist in the German's dictionary for football.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 16. Aug 20, 21:01

Just because they began to play before everyone else after the lockdown, I considered german teams (especially Bayern) the favourites this year. I expected an easy win against Barcelona, but not that easy... Perhaps a 2 or 3 goal difference, but this has been truly amazing.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 17. Aug 20, 05:44

Utd crashed out Europa league today :(

Although we can consider this season a success given our current situation, and this would be just a cherry on top. But still stinks

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 09:03

Mightysword wrote:
Mon, 17. Aug 20, 05:44
Utd crashed out Europa league today :(

Although we can consider this season a success given our current situation, and this would be just a cherry on top. But still stinks
It could be worse: Messi could sign with City.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 17:22

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 09:03
It's not that bad tbh. The gab between City and Utd and the rest of the league are so big right now it doesn't seem to matter. If it's a 5 pts gap than yeah City getting Messi is bad, but we're looking at a 20-30 pts gap, another 10 ain't gonna make much a difference. On the other hand, maybe I get to see Messi play for a couple years. I don't watch La Liga, I know he's the goat but mostly through reputation, and the few times I saw him in the WC or CPL they're mostly nothing special.

Utd ain't gonna be challenging for the tittle any time soon, and if the transfer policy in recent years is of anything to go by, I feel the goal of our board/owner is to be the new Asernal .aka a top 4 club. But in restrospective, guess we should be grateful they're not as bad as Barcelona's board. :roll:

And ... Pogba just got test positive for COVID-19 ... :shock:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 08:43

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 17:22
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 09:03
It's not that bad tbh. The gab between City and Utd and the rest of the league are so big right now it doesn't seem to matter. If it's a 5 pts gap than yeah City getting Messi is bad, but we're looking at a 20-30 pts gap, another 10 ain't gonna make much a difference. On the other hand, maybe I get to see Messi play for a couple years. I don't watch La Liga, I know he's the goat but mostly through reputation, and the few times I saw him in the WC or CPL they're mostly nothing special.

Utd ain't gonna be challenging for the tittle any time soon, and if the transfer policy in recent years is of anything to go by, I feel the goal of our board/owner is to be the new Asernal .aka a top 4 club. But in restrospective, guess we should be grateful they're not as bad as Barcelona's board. :roll:

And ... Pogba just got test positive for COVID-19 ... :shock:
I read about him, it was just a matter of times for a one of the top players to be tested positive, honestly.
We still miss him a lot in Turin: if you're worried, you could send him back here...

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 09:10

sure, won't even need a transfer fee. Simply put CR7 on a straight swap, deal? :D

Ronaldo reunited with UtD as Messi reunited with Pep for one last hurrah, do it for football. :P

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 09:13

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 28. Aug 20, 09:10
sure, won't even need a transfer fee. Simply put CR7 on a straight swap, deal? :D

Ronaldo reunited with UtD as Messi reunited with Pep for one last hurrah, do it for football. :P
That's not something I'd refuse on the spot, but we need to know Pirlo's opinion on the matter.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 21:06

I walked upon this video from an American guy and I thought I'd post it here. I'm surprised he casually admitted to know Del Piero just because of FIFA (the game).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rstFHlWb8

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 21:56

Eh football is not really a thing in the US. If you think that was strange ... when Schweinsteiger signed for the Chicago Fire (one of the club here), a reporter asked him during the first press conference: "will you help Chicago Fire win the world cup?" That has become a meme in the football world. :doh:

Talk about players' plublicity ... I just realize this won't be just a Barac's problem. In the last few years La Liga had lost Neyma, CR7, and now Messi. And if Bara doesn't get its act together the it can become a one horse leagues with RM running the show single handily just like Bayern, Juve, PSG in other leauge. I think the main draw of the Premier League is its competitive nature and make it the most watched in the world. I know it's not a matter that individual fan care much about, but those who running the economy side of the league have to be at least sweating worry now.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 31. Aug 20, 08:49

Premier League is financially the largest by far. Internal transfer market prices are crazy, 50-60 millions like nothing for central defenders.

Juve has recently bought his first American player, coming from Shalke, Weston McKennie. I didn't know him, it appears he's a good prospect, we'll see.

Meanwhile, to come back on a more generic sport topic, Ferrari is driving through its worst season ever.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 1. Sep 20, 01:03

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 31. Aug 20, 08:49
Premier League is financially the largest by far. Internal transfer market prices are crazy, 50-60 millions like nothing for central defenders.
It's called the English tax. Local players are often hyped way pass their real ability and clubs sell and buy these "England" players at a premium price.

We paid 80mil for Harry Maquire last season ... But it's us, so not only we have the English tax, we have the Utd's tax on top of it. :shock: That's why I'm glad we just signed Donny from Ajax for a modest fee of 40mil.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 31. Aug 20, 08:49
Meanwhile, to come back on a more generic sport topic, Ferrari is driving through its worst season ever.
Feel like they've been saying that almost every year for the last 10 years, and at this rate they probably gonna say it next year too.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 02:19

Not exactly following Snooker as a sport, but the BBC sport page mention it enough that I have somewhat a passing knowledge of it.

Just saw today Ronnie got knocked out by an 18 years old who turned professional in March. What makes this piece of news jump out is because just last month Ronnie himself said this:
"If you look at the younger players coming through, they are not that good really. Most of them would do well as half-decent amateurs, not even amateurs. They are so bad.

"A lot of them you see now, you look at them and think, 'I would have to lose an arm and a leg to fall out of the top 50'. That is why we are still hovering around, because of how poor it is down that end."
It feels like after hearing he said that, the Karma god thought "Mr. Sullivan, you should sit down and reflect on yourself". :rofl:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 22. Oct 20, 04:54

So ... football this season has been ... pretty crazy.

Real Madrid just got rinsed today by a Ukrainian team (Shaktar) that missed 10+ players due to Covid. :rofl:

Even more crazy is that fact the game still went ahead despite one of the team had such an outbreak. WTF!?!? :rant:

Premeir league is pretty wild, seem most of the top teams forgot how to defend. :doh:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 22. Oct 20, 08:39

Something of an annual event for me over the last few years has been to watch the IPL (Indian Premier League.) It's a shortened format of the cricket game (20 over limit per side) and features many of the world's best players, combined with the cream of Indian talent. - Due to Covid, this year's competition has been held in UAE, and without crowds, but it's been frenetic to date. Eight teams play each other twice, and the top four go through to the knockout stage. The competition is now in the final stages of the group games, and Jofra Archer & Jonny Bairstow have been the standout English internationals to date, but Stokes, Buttler, Curran and Morgan have all had their moments. And there's a great mix of players from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies too.

It may not be a game that appeals to cricketing 'purists,' the pace and atmosphere being totally different to test cricket. (Read that as the series *has* pace and atmosphere...)

Matches are held (UK time) at 3:00pm on Sky Sports cricket, with highlights/replays later in the evening, I believe.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 16. Nov 20, 22:45

In Formula 1, Lewis Hamilton has wrapped up his 7th World Championship with a couple of races to go, equalling Michael Schumacher's long-standing record.
I don't particularly like the man but, as a driver, he is unbelievable. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it 8 or more.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 03:45

Liverpool lost 6th consecutive home game.
United end City 21 streak run, with the Sterling continue to drop value.

Today is a very good day. :D

Return to “Off Topic English”