Sport

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Sport

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 13:43

I was looking in the forum if there was any generic thread related to sports, but I found none.
So, here you are! The thread all of you was waiting for, craving for, dreaming of, running from(?) is here!!!

Do you play (or played) any sport (amateurial or competitive, it doesn't matter too much)?
What's your favourite sport to watch?

Personally, when I was a kid, I swam for about 10 years, getting to regional levels. Than people grew up, and I didn't (in particular, it's hard swimming against people who's 15-20 cm taller and has paddles instead of feet). I then started going to the gym, then playing a little amateurial football (soccer, for american ladies and gents) by setting up a team with friends.
During university years, I did almost nothing as I had no time, study took everything from me (like Thanos from Wanda)... Recently, I began again to go to the gym 2-3 times per week, mainly because I love food and food loves to get attached to me...

I like watching sports, generically, but mostly football (still soccer, dear americans), supporting Juventus but not in a really passionate way (I like when they win and hate when they lose, but no drama). I used to love motor sports, but I recenlty find them a little boring in comparison to 10 or more years ago (when you really had drivers overtake other drivers outside of pit lane).

Of course I follow Olympics when they're up, know nothing at all about american team sports (your football and baseball are basically arabic to me) and, in my playing times of years ago, I even had fun watching some e-sports (League of Legends, as I was playing that with friends).

What about you? Do you have a personal "sport hero"? I have basically two: Alessandro Del Piero and Alessandro Zanardi.

PS: about the "football and baseball are arabic thing", I learned "arabic" isn't everywhere the way of saying "I understand nothing of the argument". I believe in US you say "greek", instead...

clakclak
x3

Re: Sport

Post by clakclak » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 14:24

Like you Brasato I did a lot of swimming when I was young, I actually was pretty decent at breaststroke and butterfly as those were the styles which fitted my physique the most, still I eventually stopped after breaking my leg in an unrelated accident.

Since then I picked up some other stuff, mostly kickboxing and filipino martial arts, but I was never passionate enough to really get anywhere and even though I am still young I am prone to accidents and thus often can't train. (Over the last two years I had 3 different torn ligaments alone which all take a lot of time to heal if you are not a professional sports player.)

Mixed Martial Arts, 100%. It is also the only sport I watch regularly even though I do check out related sports (BJJ, Judo, Kick/Thai-Boxing, Teakwando and so on) every now and then.
Do you have a personal "sport hero"?

Hero is maybe to strong of a word, but I always found Rose Namajunas to be really cool to watch as she is on of the most technically perfect strikers I have ever seen. The first fight I saw was when she was still in Invicta FC and to be honest, while I liked her I did not think she would have the career she now has. IBut then in 2017 she kinda shocked the MMA community by not only winning against long time UFC champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk, but doing so in a pretty spectacular fashion. The UFC released the fight for free on Youtube if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtAXIy8gR7E
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 14:39

clakclak wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 14:24
Like you Brasato I did a lot of swimming when I was young, I actually was pretty decent at breaststroke and butterfly as those were the styles which fitted my physique the most, still I eventually stopped after breaking my leg in an unrelated accident.
I was more competitive at backstroke and freestyle.
I'm sorry about your accident.
Mixed Martial Arts, 100%. It is also the only sport I watch regularly even though I do check out related sports (BJJ, Judo, Kick/Thai-Boxing, Teakwando and so on) every now and then.
I'm not too much into martial arts to watch, even if every now and then (e.g. during the Olympics) I watch them with pleasure, honestly sometimes struggling to understand the points system.
On the other hand, I find fencing (if you can consider it a kind of "martial sport") quite enjoyable.
Do you have a personal "sport hero"?

Hero is maybe to strong of a word, but I always found Rose Namajunas to be really cool to watch as she is on of the most technically perfect strikers I have ever seen. The first fight I saw was when she was still in Invicta FC and to be honest, while I liked her I did not think she would have the career she now has. IBut then in 2017 she kinda shocked the MMA community by not only winning against long time UFC champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk, but doing so in a pretty spectacular fashion. The UFC released the fight for free on Youtube if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtAXIy8gR7E
I didn't know her. Perhaps the only female fighter I know about is Rhonda Rousey... I'm quite the illiterate on the matter.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 15:14

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 14:39
I'm not too much into martial arts to watch, even if every now and then (e.g. during the Olympics) I watch them with pleasure, honestly sometimes struggling to understand the points system.
On the other hand, I find fencing (if you can consider it a kind of "martial sport") quite enjoyable.
Oh the point systems are often a big mystery. Even in full contact sports (MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing and a few others) the point system can lead to strange results and people winning fights that should have lost them. If I remember correctly Taekwondo has on of the more clear point systems out there, but a criticism of it is, that it leads to less realistic fights as unlike in full contact you don't have to worry about knockouts as much and people are very careful to pick their shots. It got to the point where they now have a penelty system at the Olympics because fighters often refuse to engage in attacks. Here would be an example of that.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 15:50

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 13:43
Do you play (or played) any sport (amateurial or competitive, it doesn't matter too much)?
Soccer on and off
Skiing from 7yr old, cross country, though I more like downhill now
Hapkido, Judo, 7+ years each
some jiujitsu
weight lifting 10+ years

only competed in Judo though, got 3rd only a couple of times, but I dont count it too hard, since this was losing to some experienced folks and beating people whose moves I knew.

EDIT:
well, almost forgot, my most expensive hobby / sport:

Car racing, I competed in Hobby Stock racing for 2 - 2.5 years. Had a thread running with my technical troubles on this very forum :)
best place I think was 4th, best number of passes was 5 or 6.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Formula 1. I've been to a few races too, though I am ashamed to admit to skipping watching last couple seasons.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Personally, when I was a kid, I swam for about 10 years, getting to regional levels. Than people grew up, and I didn't (in particular, it's hard swimming against people who's 15-20 cm taller and has paddles instead of feet). I then started going to the gym, then playing a little amateurial football (soccer, for american ladies and gents) by setting up a team with friends.
During university years, I did almost nothing as I had no time, study took everything from me (like Thanos from Wanda)... Recently, I began again to go to the gym 2-3 times per week, mainly because I love food and food loves to get attached to me...
I wish I could swim and I wish I'd enjoy swimming. I always feel like I am just hurting myself for no joy. But it's a very good exercise.
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
What about you? Do you have a personal "sport hero"? I have basically two: Alessandro Del Piero and Alessandro Zanardi.
Mika Hakkinen, team McLaren F1.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 19:43

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 15:50

EDIT:
well, almost forgot, my most expensive hobby / sport:

Car racing, I competed in Hobby Stock racing for 2 - 2.5 years. Had a thread running with my technical troubles on this very forum :)
best place I think was 4th, best number of passes was 5 or 6.
Wow, car racing!
I had some track days around here, Balocco with my personal car (Alfa Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde), Monza with rented cars (you need to have at least 400 bhp to access a track day there...).
Never something competitive, too expensive...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 19:54

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 19:43
Wow, car racing!
I had some track days around here, Balocco with my personal car (Alfa Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde), Monza with rented cars (you need to have at least 400 bhp to access a track day there...).
Cool looking car. So time trials or just doing laps?

Ours were the Monte Carlos of various years. I already forgot what mine year was, but not like it matters too much - other than a frame I dont know what else original in that car remained at the end.
I dont have a picture nearby, but if you are interested, I can send you one in PM when I find it.
Otherwise, google "hobby stock car racing"

I had some brakes, some crashes, two big crashes. One sent me airborn, one wrecked the frame of the car. Lots of near misses, and sometimes things went really well!
Learned a couple of things about putting parts of cars together.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 15. Jul 20, 20:54

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 19:54
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 15. Jul 20, 19:43
Wow, car racing!
Cool looking car. So time trials or just doing laps?

Ours were the Monte Carlos of various years. I already forgot what mine year was, but not like it matters too much - other than a frame I dont know what else original in that car remained at the end.
I dont have a picture nearby, but if you are interested, I can send you one in PM when I find it.
Otherwise, google "hobby stock car racing"

I had some brakes, some crashes, two big crashes. One sent me airborn, one wrecked the frame of the car. Lots of near misses, and sometimes things went really well!
Learned a couple of things about putting parts of cars together.
I was just doing laps, sometimes taking times, pretty average though.
At Balocco, which is Alfa Romeo home track, I got to drove 4C a couple times, and that piece of art which is the 8C ones. Quite a beast, but not as much as Monza's supercars, because it's actually harder to drive than a Ferrari.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 02:35

What's the 4C and 8C? Cylinder?

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 16. Jul 20, 08:50

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 16. Jul 20, 02:35
What's the 4C and 8C? Cylinder?
Yes, basically it's the cylinder count.
Alfa Romeo 4C
Inline 4, 1750cc, 237bhp, 0-100 in 4.5s
Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
V8, 4.6 litres, 450bhp, 0-100 in 4.2s

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 27. Jul 20, 10:20

Juventus won the 9th Serie A title in a row yesterday.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 06:58

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 27. Jul 20, 10:20
Oh, a fellow football fan? I tried to get a football convo on here once a while but apprarently there are only boring people here. :P

"“If you guys won under me then you really must be good".

Manchester fan here. I was supposed to finish a work project on Sunday, but since we qualified for CL that day I was buzzing and end up spending the entire day celebrating. Was too hyped to do anything else. :D :(

Did manage to finish it today though. :thumb_up:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 08:50

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 06:58
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 27. Jul 20, 10:20
Oh, a fellow football fan? I tried to get a football convo on here once a while but apprarently there are only boring people here. :P

"“If you guys won under me then you really must be good".

Manchester fan here. I was supposed to finish a work project on Sunday, but since we qualified for CL that day I was buzzing and end up spending the entire day celebrating. Was too hyped to do anything else. :D :(

Did manage to finish it today though. :thumb_up:
Good job!

Anyway, Sarri's words aren't so far from the truth, we experienced some steps back from last year, in my opinion. Chiellini's long injury definitely had an impact on defensive strategy, even if De Ligt steadily growth is impressive (but not surprising).
Now, physical form doesn't appear to be optimal, but it's hopefully planned to be in shape in two weeks, when Champions League starts again.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 16:57

How is Juv treating Sarri? Hopefully you guys are giving him some respect after the shit show Chelsea threw at him, but Juv never strike me as a club that would accommodate its manager.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 17:04

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 16:57
How is Juv treating Sarri? Hopefully you guys are giving him some respect after the shit show Chelsea threw at him, but Juv never strike me as a club that would accommodate its manager.
The club usually protects his manager and players a lot, even if always considering them professionals, and not "members of a family" like you see in other teams. It's somehow a cold manner to treat them, but they're always protected from the media, for instance. Juve is not "just the toy of a very rich person", mainly because it's owned by the same family since like a century.
The fans, of course, do what they want, so there's critique (some just, some not), sometimes a lot of critique.
I honestly expected more from him, because it has been pictured like a manager with a very enjoyable playstyle, which hasn't been the case.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 28. Jul 20, 19:06

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 17:04
I honestly expected more from him, because it has been pictured like a manager with a very enjoyable playstyle, which hasn't been the case.
That's what I meant when I asked how you're treating him. He gonna need specific players to make his trademark sarri-ball system to work, I hope you guys are not thinking "here's one of the best player on the planet make it work". If you hire a manager for something he needs backing for that something to work. Juv seems more like a club that wants the manager to work with what they have rather than 'accommodating' the manager. Given his work at the limited resource Napoli, there is little doubt about his quality in working with series A.

I mentioned this becuase this has been a problem with UtD since Fergie left, we kept trying to make marque signing, players that individually are great on paper but together don't fit into any specific style, and so we had so many flops both in term of manager and players. Fortunately Ole seems to be fixing that, and we're building a specific branch of football now (or going back to a specific branch of football).

I don't think Juv fan is that bad, not comparing to Real's fan at least, but that's setting the low standard.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 29. Jul 20, 16:30

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 19:06
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 28. Jul 20, 17:04
That's what I meant when I asked how you're treating him. He gonna need specific players to make his trademark sarri-ball system to work, I hope you guys are not thinking "here's one of the best player on the planet make it work". If you hire a manager for something he needs backing for that something to work. Juv seems more like a club that wants the manager to work with what they have rather than 'accommodating' the manager. Given his work at the limited resource Napoli, there is little doubt about his quality in working with series A.

I mentioned this becuase this has been a problem with UtD since Fergie left, we kept trying to make marque signing, players that individually are great on paper but together don't fit into any specific style, and so we had so many flops both in term of manager and players. Fortunately Ole seems to be fixing that, and we're building a specific branch of football now (or going back to a specific branch of football).

I don't think Juv fan is that bad, not comparing to Real's fan at least, but that's setting the low standard.
I totally agree with your point of view, still as a fan I expected him to find the proper way to make a trio like Douglas Costa, Dybala and Cristiano Ronaldo (plus Higuain and Bernardeschi in the roster) work in a different way than they actually did. And I'm not talking about better of worse, but more often than not the plays looked like individual choices by exceptional players instead of schemes studied and tried during training (which we saw a lot more with Allegri, adapting the playstyle to the opponent, even during the match).
He's an experienced manager (even if relatively new at high level), that's why he didn't impress much.

The issue in Utd (I'm not very expert on Premier League, so I may say a lot of stupid things) looks more like the property buying players just because they can, not because they need them. At Juventus, (in recent years) that only happened with Ronaldo, which has clearly been a marketing move before than a functional, tactical choice. Then, of course, we're talking about a player who, no matter the reason you buy him for, is going to improve any team. But there's only a very small number of players like that in the world, you can count them with a single hand.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 00:30

I'm probably the lone Everton fan on here.
We're a rare breed these days.

But hey, 'Carlo fantastico, Carlo magnifico', we have some things to be excited about.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 14. Aug 20, 23:25

To all the teams that crashed out the champion league last weeks and this weeks, they can now find solace and say "at least we're not Barcelona".

Holy crap what did I just watch? :o

The word mercy doesn't seem to exist in the German's dictionary for football.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 16. Aug 20, 21:01

Just because they began to play before everyone else after the lockdown, I considered german teams (especially Bayern) the favourites this year. I expected an easy win against Barcelona, but not that easy... Perhaps a 2 or 3 goal difference, but this has been truly amazing.

Return to “Off Topic English”