Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 25. May 21, 22:16

My English may fail me but if you mean this paragraph
Scientists haven’t identified any relationship between the initial inflammatory reaction and the long-term response that leads to protection. There’s no scientific proof that someone with more obvious side effects from the vaccine is then better protected from COVID-19. And there’s no reason that having an exaggerated innate response would make your adaptive response any better.
I understand it says that the initial reaction of a vaccinated person to the vaccine says nothing about the long term reaction of that same person to the vaccine.

That statement does not include what would have happened to persons with different reactions to the vaccine if they contacted the real virus without ever having been vaccinated at all. Which is how I understand the initial question, and which is somewhat pointless as such a comparison can not be documented.

Ort have I misunderstood ?

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:09

Yeah, I also don't see what exactly CBJ is referring to :)
BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 21:38
I doubt that such a question can be answered with some certainty. The jab is a well defined dose, but catching a virus in the wild can be a massive burst from somehwre. or just a few casually encountered organisms. It can be after a drunken night when the immune system is having a hangover, of fresh and fit in the morning. I would assume that there are too many variables.

But am ready for correction.
True but in this thought process we can just assume that multiple people get theoretically exposed to the same amount of virus. I rather think it is impossible to answer because you would need to get the same person in contact with the virus for the first time ever, two times in a row, and that is logically impossible.

On the one hand, since a vaccine contains fluids to trigger a more extreme immune response, some people might just be more allergic to those fluids then others. On the other hand, people with a more sensitive immune system might also have a statistically higher immune response probability to the real virus. Then again, women are very sensitive to illnesses but that also means a more successfull, faster and painless immune response overall, while men's immune system is naturally surpressed causing delayed but higher pain and fatality rates. So men might never ever feel the vaccine, while many more women will have mild sideeffects yet with a lower fatality rate.

There are so many variables to consider. I wonder if someone has an anwer to the question besides CBJ answer we don't understand :D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:22

BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 22:16
That statement does not include what would have happened to persons with different reactions to the vaccine if they contacted the real virus without ever having been vaccinated at all. Which is how I understand the initial question, and which is somewhat pointless as such a comparison can not be documented.

Ort have I misunderstood ?
I think you understood my original question correctly, and the article CBJ linked didn't really answer it, not directly anyway. But base on the explanation included in the article, I think a reasonable answer to my question can be reasonably deducted from it (I think).

My question was about the correlation between reaction to the vaccine and our body's innate ability to fight Covid without vaccine. The article is an answer if the question was something like "is our reaction to the vaccine an indication of how well it works in building up our immune system".
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:54

Missus and me getting the 1st shot of AZ tomorrow (well today :p) noon. Mixed feelings but they won't give the pfizer, hence no choice.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 26. May 21, 07:08

I had the second AZ yesterday evening. Not feeling any side-effects at all this time--had a sore arm for 2-3 days after the first, but nothing much else.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 26. May 21, 15:14

I had the second dose of AZ on Saturday, no side effects this time, except for a sore arm, where she wiggled the needle, die to talking too much! :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 26. May 21, 15:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 11:31
The paper where thy ask if you have fever, had COVID symptoms in last 2 weeks, had COVID before, had severe ilness (inmunosupression, cancer, blood clogging etc). It's done either by the paper or by questioning shortly before vacination.
I thought it's a standard procedure world wide?
Online time reservation form had a drop-down selection box, list of illnesses or other risk factors. "None of those" was one of them.

Person administering the vaccine did ask two questions:
1. Have you ever had severe reaction to any vaccine?
2. Do you have infection/etc now?

Pfizer. This morning. No observable reactions yet.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 27. May 21, 12:41

All good for the 1st 12 hrs but then I've developed flu-like symptoms very fast. Had a bad night and still feel a little beside myself.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 27. May 21, 20:18

The number of people here with side effects is astonishing. None of my vaccinated family members got any symtpoms (50-90 years old), in fact they felt indifferent before and after but maybe they are just injecting salt water in Germany :D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 27. May 21, 20:37

Both at my workplaces and for my family so far Astra Zeneca caused up to 2 days of illness while BioNTech only caused swellings where the vaccine was administered. (I'm from Germany as well)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Fri, 28. May 21, 19:59

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 27. May 21, 20:18
The number of people here with side effects is astonishing. None of my vaccinated family members got any symtpoms (50-90 years old), in fact they felt indifferent before and after but maybe they are just injecting salt water in Germany :D
I'm from Germany as well, and out of the ~20 people I know who were vaccinated, not a single one was without side effects. Your family was really lucky. Most of the ones still working were one day off sick, only a few had to take two days.
Still better than catching COVID though, a neighbour (<40y) had a light case, but now has (probably) permanent scarring on her lung tissue leading to breathing difficulties, and the friend of a colleague turned deaf, probably also permanently.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 03:38

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 27. May 21, 20:18
I think the age of the vaccinated individual has something to do with the degree of the side effects. Younger people with more intact immune systems tends to lead to the stronger side effects. It is well known that the immune system of older individuals gives a less robust response to new vaccines than younger individuals. Age really takes a toll on the immune system. There are far fewer "naive" T cells, which are critical for establishing responses to a previously unseen antigen, available in older individuals due to reduced thymic output with age.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 18:30

I am fully vaccinated (Astra shot 1; Moderna shot 2) and had side effects both times.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 20:02

clakclak wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 18:30
I am fully vaccinated (Astra shot 1; Moderna shot 2) and had side effects both times.
:o First person I hear having different brands of vaccines between shots.

MFG

Ketraar

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 21:17

Same here. Does that even work properly? The whole point of the second dose is to reinforce the effects of the first one, so AZ and Moderna would have to have extremely similar modes of operation for there to be a chance of that happening.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 21:36

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3
Yes, it works, and potentially better than two doses of the same vaccine. The aim is to get your immune system to respond to Covid, so there are some fairly obvious advantages to a mixed vaccine dose - less chance of generating an immune response to the adenovirus used as a delivery vector by some vaccines, more likelihood that you build an immune response that's robust to mutations by training your immune system on slightly different triggers, etc. All of these vaccines ultimately work by delivering the SARS-CoV2 spike protein in some form, so it's unsurprising that this works.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 22:11

So there are more side effects but no actual evidence that is is more effective to mix them long term?

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 22:45

These studies are too small to measure efficacy, much less compare it against other vaccination strategies; they're mostly about ensuring that it's safe and the immune response generated looks as expected. Which it is and it does, which is good, as quite a few people are getting mixed vaccinations for various reasons, and it's likely that a third booster dose may be needed at some point which may also be a different vaccine. Comparing effectiveness of a mixed strategy against individual vaccines will require very large numbers of people.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:48

Mixing vaccines has become common practice. There are no safety concerns, apart from somewhat more frequently mild symptoms like feverishness.

Single-dose vaccines are also going to hit the market soon(tm).

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 01:40

red assassin wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 21:36
what he said
Thanks for the explanation, my surprise came from the fact that, when the AZ one was not available in high quantities, and we moved to use other ones (mostly Pfizer at the time), a stock was kept to ensure people who had taken the AZ as first shot could take the second from the same version. Even though not explicitly stated it gave the impression that mixing versions would not be a good thing.
BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:48
Single-dose vaccines are also going to hit the market soon(tm).
Single dose J&J one is already available here for several weeks, though still not as wide spread as others.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”