Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Chips » Sat, 15. May 21, 22:26

Had the AstraZeneca jab. Barely felt it.

However, being me and weird, within 3 mins i felt dizzy and sick, 5 mins I was crouching down outside trying not to pass out, 45 mins later felt good enough to drive home. Basically i'm useless with blood or needles, so post jab I *think* blood pressure dropped and leaves me in a right state for zero reason.

Now aching in limbs, shivering, headache - uncomfortable fun. Apparently usually only lasts 24 hours if unfortunate enough to get the side effects. Looking forward to tomorrow night then!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. May 21, 14:34

That is why all the local area Covid vaccination centres I have been to (3 so far) ask recipients to sit and wait for 10-15 minutes after the jab so that any such adverse reactions can be detected and dealt with by qualified nurses and doctors. It's especially relevant if the recipient is about to drive. They cannot *make* you stay though, they can only advise and make the request.

Long ago, I had a friend in the Army who gave blood during a local appeal due to shortages of his particular blood group. He was asked to sit for 10 minutes and have a cup of tea afterwards but said he was fine and left straight after. On the way out of the building he felt faint and fell down the front steps splitting his forehead open. He had to have stitches and it was touch and go as to whether he would need any blood transfused in.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sun, 16. May 21, 16:34

Haven't had mine yet, but it's coming closer to the social stratum I'm in.

The last time I had to sit down was after being stung by 3 wasps. I accidentally discovered their nest during a cleanup under the roof and apparently they wanted to keep the secret by launching a well organized attack right into my face. Got stung in the eyebrow, cheek and jawbone. After a few minutes I had to sit and the world started to do what it normally does after too many ... nevermind. Later in the evening, when in the pub, they told me I looked like that goblin captain who commanded the army that attacked Gondor ...

Stay safe everybody :-)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 16. May 21, 17:09

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 14:34
It's especially relevant if the recipient is about to drive. They cannot *make* you stay though, they can only advise and make the request.

The place I went to take mine have a holding area guided by police, with a full paramedic team on standby at the lot. Not sure if they can force you to stay, but I think the psychology effect of having a set up like that make me obligate to stay. I didn't see anyone run off right after the 2 times I was there.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 17. May 21, 00:06

Getting my vaccine later in this week, most of the oldies have already been done here now too. Death are dropping fast but cases are still high, apparently one of the highest in the world per capita (uruguay). I dont get a choice of vaccine either, and the vast majority this country was able to get was sinovac. Joy, wonderful eh? Especially considering im english and perhaps would like to one day visit my country again. Still really, really annoyed about the whole hogging billions of vaccines thing.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 17. May 21, 11:13

Feel 100% fine today, was feeling pretty good yesterday afternoon to be honest. So about 18 hours of gentle flu like symptoms post jab.

There was no seating area before leaving, it was funnel straight out the door - I did ask before getting up, but I'm aware what I'm like so take precautions - it aint my first rodeo :D I've been known to faint simply standing up from a "low seater" sofa
(Dr said I had low blood pressure, the leg position and then standing up displaced a lot of blood causing a black out).

Injections i've not been that bad about before - but blood tests are catastrophic no, and cuts I know I have to get low or welcome the darkness :D

Some think the symptoms (i.e. the flu etc) depends upon vaccine, with AZ being one you get it. Parents had the US one and didn't have any issues, Aunt had AZ and likewise had flu-ish symptoms, but Uncle with same jab had nothing, so guess just depends how immune system reacts. I mean, sample size is negligible to really support parental assumptions on that one :P Not many of my friends have had the jab yet, or haven't mentioned it at present.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 20. May 21, 02:50

Got my shot today. It's been a long wait.

Heard somewhere the better immune system the faster/noticable the response will be
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Thu, 20. May 21, 19:13

Was finally able to get my appointments but still have to wait until middle of June for the first and second in July.
Switzerland is incredibly slow about this...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 20. May 21, 20:12

Well, if you were in the UK and your first was in June then your second would likely not be until September. So don't be too upset at the pace there. :)

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Thu, 20. May 21, 20:49

I had my second shot (Moderna) on Monday, still not back to 100%. Symptoms were severe fatigue, pain and inflammation at the point of injection, and minor muscle and joint aches. Yesterday (2 days after the shot) I went to the basement, two floors down ... getting back up was way more challenging than it had any right to be. Still, getting better every day, I just had to take Tuesday off from work.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 20. May 21, 22:15

And now imagine you would have gotten the intact virus.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Fri, 21. May 21, 08:56

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 22:15
I'd rather not, as that would in all likelihood mean that my wife was dead.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 21. May 21, 09:04

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 02:50
Heard somewhere the better immune system the faster/noticable the response will be
I heard something like that:

High response/symptoms --> you were more vulnerable to COVID, so you inmune system had a lot of work to adjust after vacine --> you would have severe symptoms if you would got actual covid --> you will have longer and better inmunity after vaccine.

Low response/symtoms - here are two posssibilities:
a) You have an illness which lowers your inmune system --> this means low response in not a good sign and you will be severly thretened by COVID --> you will have litte and short inmunity after vaccination (e.g. 3-6 months).
b) You actually already have resistance --> this mean low response because your inmune system already know how to deal with virus/vacine fast and efficiently --> you will have relatively less and shorter resistance from vacine, but the good news is that if you would get actual COVID you would also have light symptoms.

If you have light or no symptom and ticked all "NO" on all the illnes in the pre-vacination questionare then you're most probably case B, but if you ticked "YES" on anything, it might be case "A".
Whoever got stronger symptoms after vacination, should actually be happy as they have the highest chance that vacine actualy saved their life.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. May 21, 03:32

Got my first shot of sinovac a few hours ago. Felt nothing during, I rarely even feel the needle though (which is apparently quite odd), feel absolutely nothing hours later. So either it works really well, or really badly ;p Lets see how the 2nd one goes.
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 09:04
pre-vacination questionare
Questionnaire?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 22. May 21, 11:31

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 03:32
Got my first shot of sinovac a few hours ago. Felt nothing during, I rarely even feel the needle though (which is apparently quite odd), feel absolutely nothing hours later. So either it works really well, or really badly ;p Lets see how the 2nd one goes.
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 09:04
pre-vacination questionare
Questionnaire?
The paper where thy ask if you have fever, had COVID symptoms in last 2 weeks, had COVID before, had severe ilness (inmunosupression, cancer, blood clogging etc). It's done either by the paper or by questioning shortly before vacination.
I thought it's a standard procedure world wide?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 22. May 21, 13:49

In theory, the pre-jab questions should be a combination of those asked prior to any injection (such as are you taking blood thinners or suffer from haemophilia, do you have allergies, bad needle-reactions, etc) and those recommended by the manufacturer of the specific vaccine you that will receive plus any additional ones advised by the national medical authority. Hence the pre-question list may vary somewhat with different vaccines and in different countries but in principle it should always be pretty similar. Depending on the country and medical services involvement, some answers may be available from online access to individuals' medical records.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. May 21, 14:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 11:31
The paper where thy ask if you have fever, had COVID symptoms in last 2 weeks, had COVID before, had severe ilness (inmunosupression, cancer, blood clogging etc). It's done either by the paper or by questioning shortly before vacination.
I thought it's a standard procedure world wide?
Here they just said "Do you have any illnesses or are you on medication" and "Have you ever had an allergic reaction to anything", I said yes hypertension and the drug I take and she said ok, gave me it and asked me to wait 15 minutes 8) And of course upon entering everyone has to sign a piece of paper with your name and credentials saying that if you drop dead its not their fault.

Oh and no they didnt ask if ive been sick, the receptionist just took my temperature when i went in.

Outside of 1st world europe and north america the world is quite different guys ^^

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. May 21, 14:50

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:24
Outside of 1st world europe and north america the world is quite different guys ^^
Not really. It's just the same questions here, and no piece of paper to sign. :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. May 21, 15:55

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:50
Axeface wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:24
Not really. It's just the same questions here, and no piece of paper to sign. :)
Interesting, when he said about questionnaires it gave the impression its more in depth and some kind of safety net. So how does the registration process work where you are? (I assume you are in germany) Here its up to the individual to sign up to the app and apply, you give your identity number (we have identity cards but its just your age, name and a number basically, no details about you except criminal) then you are given a time. Your age defines when you get allocated a time. Thats to say that those 2 questions I got asked just before being vaccinated are the only safety net, to them I am a name and a number and nothing else. I also spoke to my family in the uk and they said that they were called by their medical provider (usually being the nhs) rather than signing up themselves, and asked if they want to vaccinate, I assume that medical details were used to allocate vaccines? Which obviously makes the process safer as they are already informed about preexisting conditions, etc. Could it be the same where you are?
This is the paper we all have to sign https://www.gub.uy/ministerio-salud-pub ... nto-vacuna
Put simply it says "We made a vaccine program, you are entitled to get one when we say your age group can, and you cant sue us if something happens to you because of the vaccine".

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 22. May 21, 17:11

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 22:15
I wonder if the reaction to the vaccine can be used as an indication how one would fair if caughting the real virus unprepared? Like those with just a sore arm or 1 day body ache are the one who would passed covid by as just a simple cold, while the one getting strong reaction are the one who could have been hospitalized or face higher risk of serious illness.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Return to “Off Topic English”