Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 22. May 21, 13:49

In theory, the pre-jab questions should be a combination of those asked prior to any injection (such as are you taking blood thinners or suffer from haemophilia, do you have allergies, bad needle-reactions, etc) and those recommended by the manufacturer of the specific vaccine you that will receive plus any additional ones advised by the national medical authority. Hence the pre-question list may vary somewhat with different vaccines and in different countries but in principle it should always be pretty similar. Depending on the country and medical services involvement, some answers may be available from online access to individuals' medical records.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. May 21, 14:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 11:31
The paper where thy ask if you have fever, had COVID symptoms in last 2 weeks, had COVID before, had severe ilness (inmunosupression, cancer, blood clogging etc). It's done either by the paper or by questioning shortly before vacination.
I thought it's a standard procedure world wide?
Here they just said "Do you have any illnesses or are you on medication" and "Have you ever had an allergic reaction to anything", I said yes hypertension and the drug I take and she said ok, gave me it and asked me to wait 15 minutes 8) And of course upon entering everyone has to sign a piece of paper with your name and credentials saying that if you drop dead its not their fault.

Oh and no they didnt ask if ive been sick, the receptionist just took my temperature when i went in.

Outside of 1st world europe and north america the world is quite different guys ^^

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. May 21, 14:50

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:24
Outside of 1st world europe and north america the world is quite different guys ^^
Not really. It's just the same questions here, and no piece of paper to sign. :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. May 21, 15:55

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:50
Axeface wrote:
Not really. It's just the same questions here, and no piece of paper to sign. :)
Interesting, when he said about questionnaires it gave the impression its more in depth and some kind of safety net. So how does the registration process work where you are? (I assume you are in germany) Here its up to the individual to sign up to the app and apply, you give your identity number (we have identity cards but its just your age, name and a number basically, no details about you except criminal) then you are given a time. Your age defines when you get allocated a time. Thats to say that those 2 questions I got asked just before being vaccinated are the only safety net, to them I am a name and a number and nothing else. I also spoke to my family in the uk and they said that they were called by their medical provider (usually being the nhs) rather than signing up themselves, and asked if they want to vaccinate, I assume that medical details were used to allocate vaccines? Which obviously makes the process safer as they are already informed about preexisting conditions, etc. Could it be the same where you are?
This is the paper we all have to sign https://www.gub.uy/ministerio-salud-pub ... nto-vacuna
Put simply it says "We made a vaccine program, you are entitled to get one when we say your age group can, and you cant sue us if something happens to you because of the vaccine".

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 22. May 21, 17:11

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 22:15
And now imagine you would have gotten the intact virus.
I wonder if the reaction to the vaccine can be used as an indication how one would fair if caughting the real virus unprepared? Like those with just a sore arm or 1 day body ache are the one who would passed covid by as just a simple cold, while the one getting strong reaction are the one who could have been hospitalized or face higher risk of serious illness.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 22. May 21, 17:16

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 15:55
CBJ wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 14:50
Axeface wrote:
My place have you answer the questionnaire during the online appointment set up, have you verified it again 2 days before when they send you reconfirmation link. You are then asked directly by the staff when your car is in queue (it's a drive through vaccine center), and then when you get in the spot, another staff ask you one more time when the nurse prepare the dose. So yeah ... 4 times, and this happens with both of my shot.

I think the protocol is the same in most countries, the only question is how diligent the staffs are at your particular place. Even a strict protocol won't mean squat if the local staffs don't care.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 23. May 21, 00:13

Axeface wrote:
So how does the registration process work where you are? (I assume you are in germany) .... I also spoke to my family in the uk and they said that they were called by their medical provider (usually being the nhs) rather than signing up themselves, and asked if they want to vaccinate, I assume that medical details were used to allocate vaccines? Which obviously makes the process safer as they are already informed about preexisting conditions, etc. Could it be the same where you are?
I'm in the UK. Everyone over the age of 50 or in a high-risk category got a call when it was their turn. Now that they're on to younger people, those people can use a website to book one instead once their age group has been announced. I don't know whether medical records are used, but they confirm a few details on the phone or website when you book your appointment, and they ask you the same questions again when you arrive at the appointment.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 23. May 21, 15:50

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 17:11
Tamina wrote:
I wonder if the reaction to the vaccine can be used as an indication how one would fair if caughting the real virus unprepared? Like those with just a sore arm or 1 day body ache are the one who would passed covid by as just a simple cold, while the one getting strong reaction are the one who could have been hospitalized or face higher risk of serious illness.
That's pretty much how you described, with single exception:
People with very weak immune system or inmunosupression illness could also react very little to none to vacine, but the actual virus would be really deadly to them.

Ehli
x4

Post by Ehli » Tue, 25. May 21, 14:17

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 23. May 21, 00:13
Axeface wrote:
So how does the registration process work where you are? (I assume you are in germany) .... I also spoke to my family in the uk and they said that they were called by their medical provider (usually being the nhs) rather than signing up themselves, and asked if they want to vaccinate, I assume that medical details were used to allocate vaccines? Which obviously makes the process safer as they are already informed about preexisting conditions, etc. Could it be the same where you are?
I'm in the UK. Everyone over the age of 50 or in a high-risk category got a call when it was their turn. Now that they're on to younger people, those people can use a website to book one instead once their age group has been announced. I don't know whether medical records are used, but they confirm a few details on the phone or website when you book your appointment, and they ask you the same questions again when you arrive at the appointment.
I'm pretty sure the comment "1st world europe" also meant to include the UK, as UK is in the same continent as Germany: Europe :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. May 21, 14:49

I'm well aware of that, thanks. I was explaining why it wasn't so different to where Axeface is, and more specifically pointing out that I was in the same place as his relatives, rather than in Germany as he assumed. :)

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Tue, 25. May 21, 17:23

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 17:11
Tamina wrote:
Nope cannot be used. Because is different thing to receive a normal attack through proper way than having a virus already pushed into your cells forcing them to replicate it to trigger a response.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. May 21, 17:29

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 25. May 21, 21:27

Right answer to a different question :P The article explains that you gain the same level of immunity no matter if you get/got any side effects or not. However, the question was, if the side effects of a vaccine are correlating with how well (or bad for that matter) you would have perceived the real virus.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 25. May 21, 21:38

I doubt that such a question can be answered with some certainty. The jab is a well defined dose, but catching a virus in the wild can be a massive burst from somehwre. or just a few casually encountered organisms. It can be after a drunken night when the immune system is having a hangover, of fresh and fit in the morning. I would assume that there are too many variables.

But am ready for correction.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. May 21, 21:41

Tamina wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 21:27
Right answer to a different question :P The article explains that you gain the same level of immunity no matter if you get/got any side effects or not. However, the question was, if the side effects of a vaccine are correlating with how well (or bad for that matter) you would have perceived the real virus.
I suggest you read the article again. The last paragraph addresses exactly that question.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 25. May 21, 22:16

My English may fail me but if you mean this paragraph
Scientists haven’t identified any relationship between the initial inflammatory reaction and the long-term response that leads to protection. There’s no scientific proof that someone with more obvious side effects from the vaccine is then better protected from COVID-19. And there’s no reason that having an exaggerated innate response would make your adaptive response any better.
I understand it says that the initial reaction of a vaccinated person to the vaccine says nothing about the long term reaction of that same person to the vaccine.

That statement does not include what would have happened to persons with different reactions to the vaccine if they contacted the real virus without ever having been vaccinated at all. Which is how I understand the initial question, and which is somewhat pointless as such a comparison can not be documented.

Ort have I misunderstood ?

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:09

Yeah, I also don't see what exactly CBJ is referring to :)
BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 21:38
I doubt that such a question can be answered with some certainty. The jab is a well defined dose, but catching a virus in the wild can be a massive burst from somehwre. or just a few casually encountered organisms. It can be after a drunken night when the immune system is having a hangover, of fresh and fit in the morning. I would assume that there are too many variables.

But am ready for correction.
True but in this thought process we can just assume that multiple people get theoretically exposed to the same amount of virus. I rather think it is impossible to answer because you would need to get the same person in contact with the virus for the first time ever, two times in a row, and that is logically impossible.

On the one hand, since a vaccine contains fluids to trigger a more extreme immune response, some people might just be more allergic to those fluids then others. On the other hand, people with a more sensitive immune system might also have a statistically higher immune response probability to the real virus. Then again, women are very sensitive to illnesses but that also means a more successfull, faster and painless immune response overall, while men's immune system is naturally surpressed causing delayed but higher pain and fatality rates. So men might never ever feel the vaccine, while many more women will have mild sideeffects yet with a lower fatality rate.

There are so many variables to consider. I wonder if someone has an anwer to the question besides CBJ answer we don't understand :D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:22

BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 22:16
That statement does not include what would have happened to persons with different reactions to the vaccine if they contacted the real virus without ever having been vaccinated at all. Which is how I understand the initial question, and which is somewhat pointless as such a comparison can not be documented.

Ort have I misunderstood ?
I think you understood my original question correctly, and the article CBJ linked didn't really answer it, not directly anyway. But base on the explanation included in the article, I think a reasonable answer to my question can be reasonably deducted from it (I think).

My question was about the correlation between reaction to the vaccine and our body's innate ability to fight Covid without vaccine. The article is an answer if the question was something like "is our reaction to the vaccine an indication of how well it works in building up our immune system".

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 26. May 21, 02:54

Missus and me getting the 1st shot of AZ tomorrow (well today :p) noon. Mixed feelings but they won't give the pfizer, hence no choice.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 26. May 21, 07:08

I had the second AZ yesterday evening. Not feeling any side-effects at all this time--had a sore arm for 2-3 days after the first, but nothing much else.

Return to “Off Topic English”