Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Re: Coronavirus: COVID-19

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 17:55

My score at present is 5 (that's right) Five vaccinations and 0 antibodies. I'm in the US Veterans Administration health care system and am undergoing Monoclonal Antibodies treatment. Surviving a bone cancer left me with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in my right shoulder and arm. That and treatments for ARMD (Macular Degeneration) means I'm about as immuno compromised as it gets.

That having been put forward, my advice is in two important parts: Step 1; to get vaccinated and once you are go to Step 2 (Which most people miss); get checked for Covid antibodies to see if the vaccinations took effect!

Too many people my age (65) I've seen catching Covid 19 did Step 1 and not Step 2.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 18:31

So I got my letter in, giving me an appointment for a booster jab. Now if you were to ask me to set up some place that is the most inconvenient place for someone to go, I would do it at the place they wanted me to go to for me, it would be over a 10-mile round trip by foot as the only way I would have been able to get there is by walking as I have no car. So they give you a phone number to use to rearrange your appointment. OMG what a farce that is the first thing they tell you is to use the internet, and they throw a long web address at you, so the letter tells you to phone, the phone tells you to use the internet and guess what, the website tells you to phone to rearrange an appointment and even if you do try and use the website it gets to a point where it wants to know what injection you are trying to arrange with two options there is no booster option, Meanwhile trying to use the phone is a joke as it's an options but whoever set it up made a total and utter mess of it when I got to the third option I had absolutely no idea what the hell the message was going on about and that was as far as I got.

Luckily for me anyway I knew they had a vaccine drop in just up the road, and I was passing that way to get my prescription, so I did that I just dropped in and got my booster, I was telling them about it and of course they said they had heard it over and over from many different people. Whoever organised this mess should not be allowed to do anything like this again, I mean, it is so bad it's unbelievable.

I'm not finished. I look after my mother, she is 89, and she got her appointment today for hers, and it is even worse she has to go even further than I was going to have to go but for her she could get a bus, here's the thing, I did say she was 89 she can barely walk to the end of the street if she goes anywhere she has a little buggy, but she can't take it on the bus, and we sold the car so how the hell is she meant to get there. When I mentioned that to the guy that was giving mines, he told me she is supposed to be getting it at home, someone is supposed to come to her. Remember I tried to use the phone and the internet to solve my simple problem without success, how are we meant to take care of hers.

It is a total and utter shambles, and whoever is in charge of all of this should be ashamed of their selves.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 18:42

felter,,

You just met the nasty realities behind a Covid response that's became so politicized that the only real procedures being followed are being made up at the local level and nobody involved wants to really face making them public for fear of an ugly backlash.
MIND THE GAP

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 19:10

You may be confusing felter's UK situation with what's happening in the US. There is very little "ugly backlash" in the UK to sensible measures being put in place, and relatively little politicisation of the issue either. His frustration is with the bureaucratic incompetence.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 19:16

Thank you CJB I was.

My apologies to felter.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 21:17

It's funny as the guy was sticking a needle in my arm I said to them, I don't blame you guys it's the bureaucrats that have messed everything up. So CBJ got it right on the nose.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:07

My wife is severely immune compromised too. She has yet to receive an invitation for the booster. I am very unimpressed with the organisational skills of our leaders...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 03:14

The booster jab is a main story on the BBC, it is just a total cluster****. You also have to remember that the immune suppressed, 60% of them the vaccine is at least 15% or more less effective than a normal person, 40% have little to no effect at all and 11% of that 40% have no protection to the virus after 2 jabs for sure which could be higher.

The thing is, it isn't just the vaccine that is a mess in the UK right now, it's just one part of it. Fuel is a major problem, gas prices are through the roof, Taxes are on the rise. Massive HGV driver shortage, shortage of medicines, shortage of food, importation prices are through the roof, a shortage of low-level working-class staff, it keeps on going on. The whole country is a mess and our great leader can't stop telling lies. And the Covid pandemic isn't the reason behind it all. By the way what ever happened to that 450 Million Johnson promised would be pumped into the NHS every week if we left the EU.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 04:59

felter wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 03:14
The booster jab is a main story on the BBC, it is just a total cluster****. You also have to remember that the immune suppressed, 60% of them the vaccine is at least 15% or more less effective than a normal person, 40% have little to no effect at all and 11% of that 40% have no protection to the virus after 2 jabs for sure which could be higher.

The thing is, it isn't just the vaccine that is a mess in the UK right now, it's just one part of it. Fuel is a major problem, gas prices are through the roof, Taxes are on the rise. Massive HGV driver shortage, shortage of medicines, shortage of food, importation prices are through the roof, a shortage of low-level working-class staff, it keeps on going on. The whole country is a mess and our great leader can't stop telling lies. And the Covid pandemic isn't the reason behind it all. By the way what ever happened to that 450 Million Johnson promised would be pumped into the NHS every week if we left the EU.
EDIT: According to the Daily Star (probably the worst paper in the UK) there is also currently a shortage of circus clowns in the UK. Probably as they are all working in ministerial positions in the UK government.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 09:07

greypanther wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:07
My wife is severely immune compromised too. She has yet to receive an invitation for the booster. I am very unimpressed with the organisational skills of our leaders...
I'm immunocompromised because of the chemotherapy, and I *have* received an invitation--but when I checked with the hospital they advised me not to take it, because they haven't received any advice from the manufacturer and thus think I should avoid all sorts of vaccines until at least six weeks after my final chemo session. Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, it seems.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 20:55

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 09:07
I'm immunocompromised because of the chemotherapy, and I *have* received an invitation--but when I checked with the hospital they advised me not to take it, because they haven't received any advice from the manufacturer and thus think I should avoid all sorts of vaccines until at least six weeks after my final chemo session. Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, it seems.
You are dead right there. Just try to get two consultants to agree on a course of treatment! For my wife and hers, they often seem to see her care as some sort of competition, rather than you know, actually talk and discuss things together! She has her GP saying get the booster, one consultant saying there is little point because of the immune system being suppressed the other not being drawn on it!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 10:38

Aparently there is new African variant to be named Nu that is like Delta on serious steroids.

In the words of GTA SA meme "Oh shit! Here we go again".

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 22:44

Variant now named 'Omicron' rather than 'Nu' ?
('Nu variant' apparently might have seemed a bit daft as a name)

Don't know about you guys, but even though they say
"its another 'variant of concern', but it's not doomsday",
I think it's more than a little worrying that so many (30) significant mutations can turn up on a single variant.

Even if this one doesn't spread, hopefully thanks to the quick international travel-ban response,
I'm thinking what the hell does the future look like, if we start to lose the vaccination race
against new variants.

Seems Africa is only 25% vaccinated against current variants,
least in the world ?,
and looks like it's where mutations are created the most rapidly.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 23:28

SA hasn't the lowest vax rate according to WHO:
https://covid19.who.int/table
As for that new variant: It will come in handy when the next two waves hit the beaches. At least for some.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 12:09

exogenesis wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 22:44
I think it's more than a little worrying that so many (30) significant mutations can turn up on a single variant.
Hopefully, this is not a movie - in real life "frankensteins" usually fail miserably and a lot of mutations in the same time might be contradictory to eachother, so it actually might die off on it's own.

However I somehow find contradicting information:
- there were multiple articles that say the overall global count of infections of that new variant is rather low (like around 100 confirmed cases)
- on the other hand there is a chart that the new variant is now 60% of new infections in SA

Given that yesterday count of new infections in SA was around 2'800, one of this is either false or mistake.

or maybe new variant somehow require new/different test?

Overall, yesterday was flash panic in media worldwide.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 12:33

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 12:09
However I somehow find contradicting information:
- there were multiple articles that say the overall global count of infections of that new variant is rather low (like around 100 confirmed cases)
- on the other hand there is a chart that the new variant is now 60% of new infections in SA

Given that yesterday count of new infections in SA was around 2'800, one of this is either false or mistake.

or maybe new variant somehow require new/different test?

Overall, yesterday was flash panic in media worldwide.
Not necessarily. The variant is not determined for all positive cases, that actually happens rather rarely. I was not able to find numbers for SA, but in Washington State in the US, only in 8.4% of all cases the variant was determined. If out of those 2800 infections, this only happened for 170 cases and out of those 170, 100 are the new one variant, everything fits. Rereading your post I just saw that the 100 cases were globally. I couldn't find a source for the number, but as far as I know there are only very few cases (single digits) found outside of SA.
And while panic is never the right mode, deep concern and preventive steps would be a smart idea (saying this while sitting in Germany, where at the moment pretty much everyone just looks on and lets things happen instead of actually doing anything).
Also, the problem with not panicking and instead waiting for a full analyis is that if that analysis turns out the virus is more contagious and more deadly, the wait could mean millions of deaths and even more mutations.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:15

Having seen the press conference offered by BoJo earlier today, I am left feeling less than impressed. If it is deemed that there is a need to ban travellers from countries that have this variant, why does it take several days to enforce it? Surely that is barring the door, after the variant has bolted!? Then again it seems one of the people who had it in Belgium, never travelled to South Africa, so it seems it is already global. Perhaps we should just shut down global travel altogether? :twisted:

Oh yes, I remember, money... :roll:

Then BoJo mentions that people should return to face masks in public places, but not at the moment compulsory. ( Not that anywhere all did when it was! ) You reckon Boris? :roll: A case of too little too late as usual, though a bit faster than some instances, in the past. He also says people should continue getting vaccinated and boosters, but also says they may not be effective against the new variant! I just do not trust a thing that man says!

Three things stand out though for me: Firstly, so far this variant seems to prefer the younger folk, who should be fitter. Second, In South Africa, cases seem to suggest a lower ill effect from this variant. Thirdly, a scientist claimed a new vaccine that should work against this, could be sorted inside 100 days. Wish I could remember his name...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 08:08

I don't have an article in English, but aparently, according to WHO, Omikron is more infectious, but less deadly/dangerous than Delta.

Albeit the amount of known cases a still a bit too small and too specific (mostly young people) to know for sure, but if it would be more deadly, it would also noticable in young population as well.

Edit:
Also, existing vacines seem to work, but some research indicate that Pfiser is less effective than others - as always, more research is needed to confirm it.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 08:47

They're planning to introduce plan B Covid restrictions in England, which means masks in most public places, Covid passes for some venues and we're being told to work from home again (not that the last one affects me, I do that anyway). Quite a few Conservatives unhappy about it, though, will have to see how the parliamentary vote goes--it's likely to pass simply because Labour support the measures, though.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 09:32

greypanther wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:15
Having seen the press conference offered by BoJo earlier today, I am left feeling less than impressed.
I didn't look at the date, and assumed this post was about last night's press conference. There wasn't much to be impressed with this week either.
pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 9. Dec 21, 08:47
Quite a few Conservatives unhappy about it...
I expect they're just worried that they might have to hold their Christmas party on the quiet again. ;)

Return to “Off Topic English”