Star Trek: Picard

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 5. Mar 20, 11:34

There seems to be a bad reaction by some fans to EP 5, I thought it was OK. I don't think the reaction was quite as bad as the Doctor Who finale. But that's for another thread.
A flower?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 15:06

i do have a couple of gripes about that episode.
Spoiler
Show
1) I think they're getting a touch carried away with killing off iconic characters. Hugh didn't need to die. I don't think that had any impact on the story thus far.
2) What was with Troy not being able to sense anything from Dajh? She could read Data when Lore was feeding him emotions, and after Data got the emotion chip. She also could sense emotions from Lal right before she died. And Data's "mother", she could sense emotions from her. Not sure why the oversight there... too much precedent to ignore.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 23:15

EP7 was nice and warm, but felt like a filler episode, still nice and cosy. Some nostalgia buttons pushing, but overall a meh episode.

MFG

Ketraar

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 01:01

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 6. Mar 20, 23:15
EP7 was nice and warm, but felt like a filler episode, still nice and cosy. Some nostalgia buttons pushing, but overall a meh episode.

MFG

Ketraar
1000% agree. Nice to see the characters in it, but they could have been a 15 minute section rather than a full episode.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 7. Mar 20, 11:40

Been watching this every Friday
- it's nice when FireTV reminds me there's a new episode, cos I've generally forgotten by then.

Feeling it's all a bit low key, but probably a better long story because of that (how many episode are there to be, 10 ?)

Looks like they're going to try & 'one-show' as many old characters as possible,
this last episode (7) was spoilt for me cos I've really never liked Riker at all (at least the character),
& I hope to god they don't try to bring back Wesley.

Pretty good story line tho, I like it, even if a bit overly in-filled with reminiscing of relations between old characters.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 12. Mar 20, 16:34

just got finished with this weeks episode.

OMG This is getting so freaking good!!!!!

I'm loving this plot development. Hell, they made me feel sympathy for the borg!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 16. Mar 20, 15:13

Prediction:
Spoiler
Show
They get to the two-moon planet after the Romulans, so they go to the Monument System where Soji puts her hand on the ring, sees the warning and destroys herself.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 16. Mar 20, 15:25

esd wrote:
Mon, 16. Mar 20, 15:13
Prediction:
Spoiler
Show
They get to the two-moon planet after the Romulans, so they go to the Monument System where Soji puts her hand on the ring, sees the warning and destroys herself.
Spoiler
Show
I have a feeling that civil war is going to break out among Star Fleet with Section 31 making an appearance under the command of Oh
rebellionpac.com

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 16. Mar 20, 15:34

Both your predictions are hopefully wrong and to not feel left aside I'll add my also hopefully wrong one too.
Spoiler
Show
Once they arrive at the origin planet the struggle will be between Picard's crew and the Romulan cult, but then the Borg Cube will arrive and save the "synths" with 7of9's help in some way (foreshadowed by the Borg "Queen" saying that 7 still has stuff to do)
Whatever it will be I feel this will end this introductory cycle of season 1 and as such start the "actual" adventure in season 2. **finrgerscrossed**

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 19. Mar 20, 16:01

lol the latest episode shit on all of our theories.
Spoiler
Show
I've always wondered in a Star Trek universe what would happen if there were a pure race of synthetics. Hell, back when I played STO, I thought that they should have established contact with another galaxy that was inhabited by nothing but synthetic beings. Looks like that's what we're getting except even bigger =p
rebellionpac.com

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 19. Mar 20, 16:39

I have not seen it yet, but that makes me happy then I guess, since I was hoping to be wrong along with the other predictions. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: After having watched the Episode I'm mildly intrigued and unsure where this is going.
Spoiler
Show
I do have a feeling that Picard is on its way out for some reason unless that mind transfer thingy will be used on him instead of Soong's Son.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 03:45

Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 19. Mar 20, 16:39
I have not seen it yet, but that makes me happy then I guess, since I was hoping to be wrong along with the other predictions. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: After having watched the Episode I'm mildly intrigued and unsure where this is going.
Spoiler
Show
I do have a feeling that Picard is on its way out for some reason unless that mind transfer thingy will be used on him instead of Soong's Son.
Just finished the final episode
Spoiler
Show
You pretty well nailed it. Was an kind of an obvious plot mechanism. Part of me cringes when I see conveniently placed things like that in a story, but on the other hand, Picard still lives so there's always the possibility for more story!

On to the meat and potatoes, though... If you've seen Discovery, do you recall the "future probe" thinger from Section 31's Control AI that wanted to wipe out all organic life? The robo tentacles that appeared from the portal kind of had a similar feel to the tentacles from those probes. I'm curious if there's a link. There's even been some speculation that the Control AI may even be somehow linked to the earliest stages of the Borg, but that's a bit of a stretch since they wiped out ALL organic life in the future timeline, they weren't assimilated.

I dunno, all theory and speculation. The new season of Discovery is going to be hot on the heals of Picard and will be set in a future time beyond TNG's era. Maaayyyybeee there will be some linkage between the 2 series. Either way, I'm hopeful for a season 2 of Picard. I really did quite enjoy seeing his character back in action and I feel like the crew he's assembled has a certain dynamic that will work well if there's a future in the series.

*edit
There is a future of the series! CBS announced a short while back that it has been renewed for Season 2 and they're planning out Season 3!! This makes me happy =D
rebellionpac.com

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 27. Mar 20, 16:56

Just watched it and must say I quite enjoyed the episode, lots of nostalgia sprinkled in with a decent plot. The writing is not as sharp as say The Expanse, but I dont think they aimed for it. Still was a good Star Trek episode with deep questions and themes about humanity, as a popper Star Trek series should be.

I still feel this series was mostly just "the team assembly" phase and now we are good to go on adventures for next season, I would not mind if they returned to more serialized episodes tbh unless they up their game wrt to writing sharpness quite a bit. If they dare they could fill the gap still missing left open by Firefly and go more in that direction, in terms of having deeper characters and a more adventure style series with the overarching plot being "secondary", I feel we dont have many shows like that and it would benefit the setup of this series.
Spoiler
Show
Wrt to Discovery, I'm on the fence still, sure they now have a opportunity to "start fresh" and leave behind the not so good taste from Series 1 + 2. I hope they do something new and avoid any overlapping storytelling other than some Easter eggs.
Frankly I disliked the whole Section 31 part of Discovery with a passion, same for the mirror universe crap. It aggravates me strongly, mostly cause it makes no sense and is poorly thought out. I hope they lose all these tropes that have been done to death by now and focus on writing character that are consistent and grow "naturally" with their actions and not have stuff be invoked in the writers or special effects rooms for giggles, again just look at The Expanse and take a few notes on how to develop, maintain and grow characters.
But I fear that they will do the whole murderous AI crap foreshadowed in this episode with the tentacles and the Romulan Spy (btw what happened to him?) saying it felt like history to him, so yeah...

Loved the send off to Data, well deserved and nicely done... erm... I have some dust in my eyes...
Last note I would like to leave is that Jeri Ryan is still a goddess and I like that they allow her to have proper clothing and kick some serious bastu, she and Stewart do the best acting, the rest is OK for most part. Looking forward to watch next season.

MFG

Ketraar

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 28. Mar 20, 16:06

After the final episode question:
Spoiler
Show
what happened to the Romulan? Last I saw, he was being held down on the floor
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 28. Mar 20, 16:23

I had the same question.

MFG

Ketraar

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 00:24

I also wondered about that but also
Spoiler
Show
How can Jeri Ryan look so good still? (Arguably better now she's not in those ridiculous catsuits.
Overall I'd give it 8/10. I hope there's more.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 29. Mar 20, 12:28

I also finished the first season now, and overall I liked it. :) I was a bit sceptical at first about the whole new series with old Picard thing, but in the end it worked pretty well for me. Things I liked the most:
Spoiler
Show
- The general design and feel of the universe: It's still Star Trek, yet noticeably new.
- Portraying Picard as being out of touch with reality. At first I was annoyed by this, but in the end I feel it was the right thing to do for his character development throughout the first season.
- The new crew. I especially like the idea of the holograms being based on Rios personality. (Raffi calling Picard "J.L." was annoying though.)
- The cameos of old Star Trek characters: I think this is something they excelled at. Not just assembling the old crew, but getting a new one. Having lesser known characters (Hugh) or those from other Star Trek series (Seven of Nine) appear more prominently, while members of Picard's old crew are just introduced so that we know what happened to them. Also that Data finally got a proper ending / death scene.
There were some goofs where I am unsure whether they were on purpose or not, like:
Spoiler
Show
- Introducing Will Riker as Commander rather than Captain
- Not showing how big the La Sirena really is. In space and in fights with other ships it looks like a bigger fighter, yet on board every new crew members seems to get their own quarter, and apparently you can hide so well, that it takes quite a while to find other crew members.

Also the writing of the final episodes was one of the laziest I've seen in a while:
Spoiler
Show
- A sentinent machine race killing all intelligent, organic life. (That's borrowed from Mass Effect.)
- A Skybeam opening a portal to somewhere bad. (General superhero, scifi, fantasy movie cliche.)
- A race of Androids having made bad experiences with the treatment by (first contact to) other races, yet relying solely on their, let's call it 'creative', planetary defense system which any ship could simply avoid by keeping a distance, flying around it or firing from a distance, and hoping that no one will ever find their planet, yet a kid manages to do it by simply asking a random spaceship captain. ("Victim has to stay where they are, so they are forced into doing something stupid and/or dangerous" cliche.)
- Although we see the bad character, Narissa, being captured on screen, they manage to escape, hide and nearly kill the main character, but is conveniently stopped and killed to avenge a good guy. (Those are actually two cliches.)
- Magic being introduced conveniently when something needs to be repaired quickly. (Again general superhero, scifi movie cliche.)
- General bad timing of the attacking bad guys, here the Romulan fleet, cliche: They have 218 Warbirds. Considering how bad the android colony is secured, even one would be enough to destroy it. Yet, despite having three windows of opportunity to fire, they wait each time until they are distracted by something else: First the flower planetary defense system, then Picard and Agnes on the La Sirena, finally the Federation fleet.
- Old friend (Riker), although being retired, receiving the command of the most powerful spaceship the Federation has built, which is readily available together with a fleet of ships matching the Romulan fleet. (General action, superhero cliche: "In most desperate times a friend with support appears.")
- Overall story arc about Picard dying of a not curable disease. I acknowledge that people in the 24th century probably get older than we are today. Yet when receiving his diagnosis Picard is alread 94 years old. He was an active Starfleet captain / admiral until the age of 80 followed by 14 years of retirement. At this age any kind of geriatric disease, stress or an injury from the battle would have been just as likely, and considering his survival, would have worked just as well.
- Main character (Picard) dying, yet being saved. (General movie cliche to have a happy ending.)
Despite all this, I still enjoyed it and I am looking forward to the second season.
berth wrote:
Sun, 29. Mar 20, 00:24
I hope there's more.
The second season was already announced before the first season was aired. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 16:38

Probably noticed I haven't posted here since I blew up a bit over Ep5 haha (although I see you guys have kept things going on without me thankfully haha). I have kept watching the show though but was less invested in it to continue posting my episode round ups. I said after ep 5 that they'd really need some good eps to undo the damage that did, so...

Here's my thoughts on eps 6-9..
Spoiler
Show
They sort of did as Ep6 was really good. I love any story line that deals with Picard's trauma from the Borg, eg some my favourite powerful moments in classic Trek include Picard braking down in front of his brother at the chateau after Best of Both Worlds and Picard loosing it and smashing the ship glass case in First Contact. THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE! So that moment when he saw his own face as locutus and his reaction was cool. Seeing him on the cube and the way the ex-Bs reacted to him was interesting too. I'm glad Soji got activated as I was getting a bit over the innocent girl on the cube with her cool badass lying boyfriend storyline. The queens chamber was cool and I liked the nod of the head to Voyagers Sikarians and the Borg using their teleporter tech after assimilation.

Ep7 was enjoyable due to us getting some nice fan service and seeing some beloved characters again, but some of those annoying things started to creep back in again. Troy & Riker lost a child due to a reason that just seems so silly.. a disease that is only cured by taking stuff from an android brain.. give me a break.. and once again WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN PERSON IN THIS SHOW HAVE TO BE MESSED UP FROM TRAUMA??? why can't anyone at all be okay lol. I'm sick to death of it. People loved Star Trek because it painted a picture of this near perfect Utopian human future where greed, money, racism, poverty, addiction and all the other nasty stuff was either eliminated or barely there and therefore was usually projected onto the alien races, this giving people hope for the future and some nice escapism from all the news that tell us we're gonna destroy ourselves. However these writers seem to be intent on bringing the misery of their own lives into Star Trek making it not really escapism at all, now its just what we see on the news and todays flawed humans but with spaceships lol. Don't get me wrong, I love my dystopian dark future shows too but as for Star Trek unless its an alternate universe than I dont like them screwing up the prime timeline and characters we know and love. and don't even get me started on the smoking addiction BS.. I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BesKS-bCDbo

Also clearly Kurtzman seems to have forgot Inner Light where Picard raised an entire family but oh now apparently now he knows nothing about teenagers so he gets schooled by Riker & Troi for it.. Urgh..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaj_ypAbN_Q

Oh and surprise surprise another old character has bought it.. but that's okay.. we've got these great new ones to replace them so who cares lol. The fact I just struggle to remember the names of the new characters really does show how great they are lol. RIP Hugh. Also wtf.. she's a evil lady pretty much killing everyone but she won't touch Hugh because he's a federation citizen. He helped Picard escape but she still has to hear him say that he's not on her side before she can kill him.. ugh come on..

Anyway on to episode 8 and its okay I guess.. but still some annoying stuff.. our Vulcan commodore is apparently half Romulan which I guess explain the sunglasses gaffe a few episodes back as vulcans don't need them, although clearly she has retained her Vulcan ability to mind meld as I've never seen a Romulan do that. The mind meld is what made Dr Death kill her lover and act all weird for ages.. but now she's fine and won't hurt anyone cause she and Soji talked about mucus lol. We see the source of the vision is from an alien artifact and we get further explanation on the main plot. Action Jackson 7 of 9 returns and kicks some more ass. She takes control of the cube which was kind of cool although apparently she doesn't have control of the airlocks and the Romulans do lol, plus apparently the Romulans can just stand there on a balcony and watch just fine (It'd like Pike watching the torpedo explode 2 meters away via a glass window all over again, or Spock watching Vulcan go into a black hole on a another planet with a thick cloudy sky lol). And somehow Borg are useless in a vacuum despite us seeing them operate in space just fine in First Contact although I guess it was more the venting that got them as Voyager vented a few Borg into space back in the day too. Anyway not much else to say about this ep as it was mostly plot moving and setup for final eps.

So I've just done Ep9.. yeah hmm.. I feel like I should have felt more and connected more with this episode but just didn't.. back in my first comments I predicted that there was someone else behind these androids and it wasn't just Bruce Maddox and I was right. I was just wrong about who it was lol. I predicted Lore, but it turns out there's another generation of Soong, another brother of sorts to Data. When Dr Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr whatever (remember there was the one in the eugenics wars ep of Enterpise too haha) walked out the music didn't seem to change much, it was very fast, and he just took off into dialogue straight away.. the whole delivery felt wrong.. I should have been like WOOOOOWWW.. but instead I was like.. oh.. okay.. cool I guess.. as it was nice to see Brent back.

Then something really really stupid happened.. Soji's mum or whatever you wanna call her, an earlier android model and seemingly some sort of leader there has somehow taught herself to do Vulcan mind melds.. because you know she likes Vulcans n stuff. Yes I kid you not.. an android that just magically learned telepathy because she likes the aliens that can do them. Are you freakin kidding me???.. stupid f****** bloody writers.. omg!! I mean Data did a vulcan neck pinch in TNG but that was a nerve pinch that presumably just requires a lot of strength hence why no one else ever did it. But android learning an alien races telepathy as a hobby???.. arrggghhhhh

Anyway she melds and sees the vision.. now she's corrupted by it too.. possibly kills that chick and frees (all sexually lol) Nerek or whatever the hell his name is and is gonna 'ET call home' and bring an android alien invasion exterminate everyone thing to stop the massive Romulan warbird extermination fleet that is somehow just out there despite the fact that most of the romulan survivors seem to be refugees living in squalor camps and no one knew about the Zhat Vash. But hey maybe its the surviving romulan fleet being manipulated by the Zhat Vash. I don't know.. we see the commodore has apparently left her rather important Federation position and is now commanding an entire romulan fleet.. bit of a jump but yeah sure.. whatever..

Oh and how could I forget that they somehow grew giant flowers that can fly through space and drag down spaceships and borg cubes.. giant flowers bigger than cities and that fly into space.. grown by maddox in his lab.. while one of his android daughters was busy taking up Vulcan telepathy as a hobby..

It really is just like the new star wars films.. why do writers these days treat us with no respect and think that we're so stupid that we'll follow anything.. sometimes its so dark you think it's not suitable for children (eg Icheb eyeball rip) then other times like this where we're expected to take giant leaps of faith over plot holes, technical gaffes and bad writing like a child would..

Thanks to covid-19 the Melbourne Formula 1 race was cancelled and in the giant slots that were allocated to what would have been the tv race coverage they filled with old episodes of TNG, VOY and even some TOS.. so I thought why not and sat there watching them.. and my god.. the universe.. and the writing.. there's just so much more intelligence behind them..

We live in an age where people that grew up watching these scifi shows and films is now old enough to get into hollywood and create their own spin offs, remakes and sequels to these great old shows. All they had to do was bring back the same quality of writing and acting and we'd be living in a golden age. However instead of feeling like I'm watching actual sequels I just feel like I'm just watching fanboy films/eps that are filmed on hollywood sets with big budgets instead of Dad's shed with some toilet paper rolls, mops and bed sheets for props lol.

Anyway.. I seemed to be more relieved that there's one episode to go in Picard than I am excited to see what happens next with the story. Sort of just want it to be over so I can move on again. I didn't even feel that way about Disco (well maybe a bit in season 1 lol but not season 2). To feel that way about a Star Trek show really sucks.. especially as normally I'm the super tolerant scifi obsessed guy defending stuff like this to the haters.. yet here I am becoming one.. but a couple of threads keep my interest still to see this thing out and probably watch future seasons too lol.

Dr death is helping Dr Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr  Jr whatever with that Golum so maybe it will be Data. I just hope I.. feel something.. when he appears cause that's meant to be the pay off for all this surely lol.. Apparently this neuron thread thing stuff talked about back in ep2 means some of data's memories can be restored but some memories would not really be him would it. So it makes me think how on earth can these writers really bring him (the full Data we know and love) back and can they do it in a way that isn't stupid lol. Which then makes me think maybe they won't bring him back and this is as good as it gets lol.. but hey todays writers love recycling old stories and rearranging them (ST Into Darkness lol) so if Soji's evil mum can mind meld then why not just do a Star Trek 3 and mind meld Data backed up memories out of B4 and into a new body.. I might even tolerate that nonsense if it leads to datas return lol.. but plugging in a usb cable like Data did in Nemesis seems like a better way haha.. hell maybe that's what they're gonna do haha.. i dunno lol..

Will also be interesting to see how Picards brain disorder is dealt with too.

Oh and one of my mates is convinced that Picard is an android because you see him being 'put together' in the show's intro, so he's counting down to the 'big reveal' lol. We all laughed at him but hell with this show any crazy cr*p is possible haha. So I dunno about that theory but the convo between Dr death and Dr Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr whatever about transferring human consciousness across into androids (like the actual Dr Soong already did with Data's mother, although the writers probably don't remember that lol) being close plants an interesting seed on this subject that I wonder what it will lead to (otherwise why did that scene happen?). Eg Picard is prob not an (failing) android now but maybe they'll stick him into one before his poor human brain gives out haha.

Either way.. weeks ago I was telling you guys that I liked the show but that I was still needing to see more to really decide. Well now I've seen like 90% of the show and I can say I don't love it, I don't hate it, it has bits I like, it has bits that annoy me, so I'm just somewhere in between all that sticking with it to see what happens with Data and & Picard.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 16:39

Final Episode 10 rant..
Spoiler
Show
Kinda glad its all over as in these last few weeks it felt like I was just waiting for them to find new ways to disappoint me lol. Now that it's done I don't have to worry about it lol.

So.. that last episode.. once again we've got some good things but mostly things that annoyed me lol..

I enjoyed the Picard noble sacrifice to save Soji (from her fears) scene.. tugged on the old heart strings a bit so well done there. Was also nice to see Picard flying a ship and being himself a bit more instead of the usual helpless old man in the back seat stuff. Liked the Picard maneuver (the ship one not the shirt one lol) reference too..

Sure enough my prediction of Picard becoming an android, or more accurately an organic synthetic came true. Felt a bit weird though as lets face it, it's kinda like cloning in that they made an electronic copy of his mind meaning the Picard we know and love has just actually died lol. Not really sure how to feel about that other than it sucks a bit.

People who may remember my earlier posts here will know that my hope was that this series was all about resurrecting Data and undoing the damage Nemesis did. I was almost willing to accept all the other BS that had happened if that was the target. So I really hoped the golum would be for him and not a quick Picard resurrection. So when Picard bought it I knew what was coming...

But then he woke up in the simulation and there was data saying exactly what I had posted in previous posts that I'd hoped would happen. They combined those residual Data memories Maddox had generated for his synths with B4's backup of Data's brain to make a pretty much complete resurrected Data (from the moment he did the transfer a day or so before his death in Nemesis). I was so excited! The moment I'd been waiting for! But of course this is a Michael Chabon show and he wants to make Star Trek and its fans as miserable as possible lol so naturally a matter of seconds later this amazing resurrection that so many of us had dreamed of happening for almost 20 damn years was shown to be nothing more than a tease because Data asks to die. Picard then mercy kills him just like 7 of 9 mercy killed Icheb. Michael watched his father suffer & die slowly on life support while writing these new shows which is a horrible thing to go through (I dread having to go through something like that with my mother) and unfortunately all this stuff is probably him creatively dealing with that pain but unfortunately he's dealing with it using the Star Trek universe and characters loved by millions people. I get it, they wanted to give a data 'beautiful death' instead of the cheap one he got in Nemesis hence why I've seen people out there touched and happy with it. But as someone who pretty much was dying (pun not intended lol) to watch this series believing it was all gonna be about Data's resurrection I feel cheated. To tease him being back like that only to take him away just makes me wanna hop over to Michael's twitter and throw some 4 letter words his way (I won't though cause I don't wanna be a d*ck lol). Judging by this article he wouldn't care anyway and for those excited that he's not the main guy behind season 2 well guess what, that article confirms he's written 2 eps and also brainstormed the other 8 for season 2.. so yeah expect more attempts to make us miserable (if we watch) in the future lol.

I wish they could have brought Data back.. yes I'm not stupid.. I know Brent doesn't exactly look like Data anymore hence the mountain of makeup and weird camera angles of him sitting or standing to hide his belly making it half impossible to have him around all the time. However they could have brought him back and then have him go back to starfleet or earth or go on his own ventures or something. You know just send him off into the galaxy with happy "All Good Things" like moment to finish his ark. Let us fans think of him living on forever going on adventures and continuing his question to evolve. Let that be the last thing we see of him.. not him dying AGAIN. The face growing old (doesn't make any sense unless they programmed the event) and a virtual duplicate Picard in the red uniform standing over him, even though Picard had been extracted already (another copy lol??) all painted to give a beautiful death triggering an emotional response that makes some forget the weirdness and lack of science and sense behind it lol. However there's nothing stopping them from resurrecting Data again so screw you Michael I'm going to choose to believe that Dr Soon Jr Jr Jr Jr being the sneaky guy he is backed up another copy of Data's mind, waited for Picard to leave then stuck Data in another golum and now he's out there living happily every after lol. Picard's "my gain is your loss line" implies Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr can't make another golum but get stuffed.. Maddox did the brains and Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr did the bodies, nothing stopping him from making more lol.

Anyway back to Picard's death and resurrection wtf was with them rush skipping over most of the casts reaction to him being back again. Once again Michael's story telling has us in pain watching everyone cry for like 10 damn minutes and then doesn't bother to cover everyone seeing him alive again except for Dr Death, Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr and Soji. Literally straight back on the ship like nothing happened lol.

Speaking of that final ship scene I've seen some people confusingly posting "are Raffi and 7 of 9 lovers?" well that 2nd article I linked I linked to above has Michael confirming it.. action jackson 7 of 9 had a thing with that crime lord chick she vaporized and she's got a thing with Raffi or whatever her name is (I just cannot remember these new cast member names haha), so expect more of the stuff we've seen from Discovery in Picard season 2 (poor Chakotay haha). I'll leave that for others to debate the merits of all that as it doesn't really bother me, other than to say I find their 'all or nothing' approach a bit weird as does this mean the other shows coming (ST Section 31, ST Pike, ST Lower Decks) will do the same?

Oh and speaking of 7 of 9.. how did the Romulan evil chick get back on the cube to fight 7 of 9??? she left the cube with the fleet several eps ago didn't she???

I saw some article a few days ago which I can't seem to find now sorry but it talked about plans for a crossover series that would involve casts members from all the different new trek shows.. pretty much the marvel avengers of new star trek lol. I really don't know how to feel about that lol. I mean if this had been 30 years ago and we had Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer and other cast members all in one big crossover event series that would have been epic (hell I think there's a popular Novel series out there that sort of did that isn't here?) but massive crossover series with new trek people.. I'm a bit meh.. but hey ya never know lol.

Anyway back to the Picard finale.. the whole fleet stand off didn't really excite me much at all (other than Picards noble sacrifice I mentioned earlier).. we saw those damn space flowers you saw me moaning about last time again haha, then they used that 'magical plot hole device' to generate duplicate Dr death faces and then the ships all with warp core illusions. Come on man this a advanced Romulan fleet, not those idiot half primitive Kazon in the Delta quadrant that fell for voyagers holograms but anyway.. this all lead to a rather amazing sequence where the evil commodore half Vulcan chick just kept preparing to fire and retargeting.. I think after the 5th or 6th time I actually yelled out (no BS I kid you not) at the TV "STOP PREPARING AND JUST FIRE THE F******** WEAPONS AT SOMETHING ALREADY!!!" hahahaha.

Then Riker shows up to give us some fan service. Kinda cool but once again just like with Soong Jr Jr Jr Jr 's reveal in the prev episode the delivery just.. felt.. wrong! Urgh. I mean I know he said he's on the active service list still but he's been retired for years and they just give him command of a huge fleet right off the bat, no admirals needed lol? They wouldn't even give Picard a crappy old science vessel but they'll give Riker a friggin fleet lol! I expected the admiral who swears a lot to be in charge of it to be honest. But hey's there's some fan service to be given here and I guess I should be happy Michael didn't try to kill him off too lol! I've seen people on the internet making fun of the obvious CGI background behind him too.. I can see why, as it doesn't look any better than the ones in the fan film Star Wreck, a movie made by a bunch of Finnish nerds in their bedrooms 20years ago lol (great film though haha). If we're wrong and that's a redressed discovery set or something then boy did they mess that up as it really looks fake lol.

And what the hell was going on with all the ships????? The entire romulan fleet was made out of 1 ship design plus a special capital command ship. These guys lost their homeworld and the vast majority of their population yet apparently they can afford to throw out all their old ships (except for that 22nd century Rom ship in ep 4 lol) and have a brand spanking new fleet lol. I mean this was the PERFECT opportunity to give more fan service and fill the fleet with old Valdors and D'deridex's.

Copy and paste a lot of that for Riker's fleet too. He warped in with 200 friggin ships that look the same.. what the hell!! When I think back to the giant federation fleets used in the Dominion war that were filled with old ships.. by then excelsiors would have been about 90 years old (at least the design anyway) and reliants and saratogas would have been over 110 years old. So why not stick some old galaxys, sovereigns and defiants in this fleet??

For a show that has a budget the old trek shows could only dream of I'm amazed that they literally built 2 giant fleets of the same ships using copy & paste.. Also was it just me or did the ships also look rather fake CGI looking.. they must have accidentally blown the budget out and run out of money.. that has to the be the reason for calling it in surely? The CGI DS9 fleets looked better than this for christ sake. This video pretty much confirms it lol.

Anyway then he just left... a dying Picard is like "oh yeah I can handle it from here Will".. and Wills like "sure bro.. I'll take all these ships we had to pull from vital missions and just turn around after being here for all 5 minutes" lol. If I was the Vulcan commodore chick I would have said "hey the federation is abandoning the planet again lets turn around and blow sh*t up before they come back again.. EVERYONE PREPARE TO FIRE SOME MORE!!!" lol.. Someone that obsessed aint gonna care about the treaty of Algeron. Also she's responsible for the deaths of everyone on Mars and most of the Romulan homeworld (by destroying the rescue fleet).. but nah its cool you can fly off lol.

Oh well.. I could pick at a bunch of other things but I'll stop complaining haha.. time to move on! I'll probably still cop the hater title from some people who loved it but like I said before normally I love all scifi and am super tolerant and am often the one taking on the haters lol but this show (much like the new main star wars films) just rubbed me the wrong way from ep5 onwards.. I guess its because these characters that I grew up with mean a lot to me and I don't like seeing them having to run the Michael Chabon gantlet of death and misery.

At this stage I now actually prefer Discovery over Picard. Probably because they're not screwing with my beloved childhood characters as much haha which means I can tolerate more plot and technology gaffes. I thought they handled Spock and Pike pretty well in s2 and it really made the show so much better having them and the Enterprise there. So I worry a bit about Disco s3 as they won't have those improvements anymore.. however I'm super excited about the ST Pike show. At least they listened to the fans on that one!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Berhg
x4

Post by Berhg » Sun, 24. May 20, 02:30

This and Discovery are shit shows.
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

Return to “Off Topic English”