Star Trek: Picard

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Antilogic
x3tc

Star Trek: Picard

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 24. May 19, 00:09

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 24. May 19, 08:25

That sounded for all the world like Whoopi Goldberg posing the questions, but it seems unlikely for Guinan to be saying stuff like that!

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 24. May 19, 11:42

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 08:25
That sounded for all the world like Whoopi Goldberg posing the questions, but it seems unlikely for Guinan to be saying stuff like that!
From the wording, I'd say it's a Romulan.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 24. May 19, 12:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 08:25
I don't think it is Whoopi.
Sounds like the authorities of Star Fleet itself posing the questions, particularly the "Your faith in us?" bit.
The shot of Picard himself sure looks like a witness at some kind of tribunal.

But yeah, excellent trailer I'm excited to see where this goes.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 24. May 19, 13:14

Well there is not much Star and too much "dreck" (dirt in german... I'm here all week) for my taste, not sure what the tone of it will be from this other than it has Patrick Stewart in it, which is great, but hardly says anything about the actual show.

Cant be worse than STD can it?

MFG

Ketraar

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Fri, 24. May 19, 22:59

Apparently, we shouldn't expect it to be like TNG, but instead expect it to be like Discovery. I've not watched Discovery yet, so I don't know how good or bad it is.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 24. May 19, 23:34

Now that could be good motivation, finally, to get Amazon Prime.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 25. May 19, 03:13

He looks great for his age. I hope it has Worf too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86icfWM03g
Who made that man a gunner?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 26. May 19, 00:50

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 03:13
He looks great for his age. I hope it has Worf too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86icfWM03g

Having something of an inkling into your love for stringed instruments, I laughed, a lot :lol: .
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 17:54

Found this trailer analysis by Trek Central. Looks like they going with post apocalypse (the controversial supernova event) Romulan's experimenting with Borg technology presumably to try and regain some lost power. Gotta love the lab sign saying 5,843 days without assimilation lol! Looks like they have control of a cube too. Considering Romulan's and Borg were my favourite villains from TNG this pleases me greatly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofH33eer3A

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 18:07

Regarding the "5843 days without assimilation" sign .... I can't help wanting to know ..... why is it written in English? They're Romulans, not Humans, would it not be written in Romulan?
(This is similar to a question I've always had regarding the Universal Translator. Let's say a Klingon comes on board, talks in Klingon, and the UT translates it to English for the Enterprise crew ... why does the Klingon's lips move in English? Would they not move in Klingon?)
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 10. Aug 19, 18:35

Alee Enn wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 18:07
Regarding the "5843 days without assimilation" sign .... I can't help wanting to know ..... why is it written in English? They're Romulans, not Humans, would it not be written in Romulan?
There's a Romulan sign next to the English one apparently saying the same. Whether that is just there so people get the joke or whether there's an actual fictional background, I don't know.
Alee Enn wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 18:07
(This is similar to a question I've always had regarding the Universal Translator. Let's say a Klingon comes on board, talks in Klingon, and the UT translates it to English for the Enterprise crew ... why does the Klingon's lips move in English? Would they not move in Klingon?)

Have you ever watched a movie where the voices were not in sync with the lips? I can tell you it's quite unnerving.

I think this is one of those case where you won't get a canonical explanation that fits every problem. After all the universal translator is a practical solution to common issues both from a fictional as well as a production point of view.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Aug 19, 19:26

" .. why does the Klingon's lips move in English? Would they not move in Klingon? .."

The UT is obviously advanced enough to cater also for deaf English-speaking humans who have to lip-read. It probably projects suitable pseudo-lips onto beings that have no mobile lips, if necessary! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 00:29

Watched the trailer; I'll reserve judgement until I've seen episode one. Did anyone else get the vibe that the girl is clearly some kind of Borg/Human hybrid Terminator type thing... or is that too obvious?
Alee Enn wrote:
Fri, 24. May 19, 22:59
Apparently, we shouldn't expect it to be like TNG, but instead expect it to be like Discovery. I've not watched Discovery yet, so I don't know how good or bad it is.
Bloody hell, I hope not. Discovery was awful. :|

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 01:44

Couldn't watch the vid. The narration was just too mumbly for a scene-by-scene analysis of a trailer which, it turns out, I'd already seen.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful that it will be good or at least not really, really bad.

On Discovery, was it just us miserable old sods who were disappointed or was it universally thought of as "meh"?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 03:50

Ah, Discovery frustrated me, but I did watch every episode.

What really bugged me was how much of the 'technical' dialogue was aimed squarely at the viewer and made zero sense as part of the conversation. What made it worse was the convoluted technical gibber was so fudged and forced that it pulled me out of the story, especially since the 'plot' depended on it.

And Michael Burnham obviously learned her craft in the Jim Carey School of Overacting.

But I've high hopes for Picard. Yeah, I'd be happy with just mediocre too.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Fri, 16. Aug 19, 15:48

I enjoyed Discovery although nothing beats 80s and 90s Trek for me haha.

I'm sure many have pondered the universal translator thing.. but quite frankly what else could they do to explain everyone speaking English lol?

Oooooh looks like Robert Picardo, the EMH Doctor from Voyager might be in Star Trek Picard too. God this show opens up so many cool things for not just TNG fans but Voyager and DS9 fans too! :)

https://youtu.be/WNXW3pBNHgM

Blake's Sanctum:
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Emulation

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 08:32

I've seen the first ep now.

My thoughts (SPOILER ALERT):
Spoiler
Show
I loved the opening shot with the camera closing in on the Enterprise D (which had some interesting design modifications) and going through the window into to the room.. the kind of shot you always wanted to see as a kid watching TNG but knew they couldn't really do effectively (well not without spending some heavy money lol, which is kind of ironic considering the 60s failed trek pilot sort of has a camera through bridge window shot)..

I enjoyed the whole episode but I feel like I can't quite give judgement yet. I need to know more about what's going on and need to see how things pan out story wise.

Also the zero mention of Lal and Lore seems a bit strange in a world where the daystrom institute desperately wanted to replicate Data. I mean what happened to their parts after they were disassembled? B4 was in a drawer so where's the Lal and Lore drawers haha?

First thought was.. did the writers forget them?.. but that seems unlikely consider they brought Hugh back which means they clearly remember Descent 1 & 2 which Lore was in. The whole Daughter 2.0 storyline suggests the Lal episode is something they know too. Plus Frakes directed that one and he's involved in Picard.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 02:00

Just watched EP2 and I'm glad to say it good.

Things start to take shape and the potential for a great adventure is palpable. Still I'll reserve commitment for when this adventure starts and we "get going", even though I cant help but to feel optimistic.

Eagerly waiting for next episode.

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 02:26

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 31. Jan 20, 02:00
Just watched EP2 and I'm glad to say it good.

Things start to take shape and the potential for a great adventure is palpable. Still I'll reserve commitment for when this adventure starts and we "get going", even though I cant help but to feel optimistic.

Eagerly waiting for next episode.

MFG

Ketraar
I noticed they have a ton of executive producers on this with some big names, at least in the Trek universe. the 2 that stood out to me were Patrick Stewart and Eugene Roddenberry (Gene's son).

I read a while back that Patrick Stewart wasn't interested in doing any more Star Trek due to the series not being what it once was, or something to that effect. He took on this project because he would have a voice in it's direction, so I really don't doubt that it's going to be high caliber. Jonathan Frakes (Riker) is even set to direct a few episodes of Picard. I have a hard time seeing how this series could fall short of expectations.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “Off Topic English”