Star Trek: Picard

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 26. May 20, 15:34

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:09
Now, we'll see what happens with the new Enterprise, with a your Spock and the story of the new (old) captain.
Sadly, I doubt it, unless they're planning a spin off series to completely reboot TOS. The next season of Discovery is taking place in the far future. And we already know what happens to Pike and the Enterprise from the unaired pilot of TOS (The Cage) and it's aired retelling (The Menagerie).
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 26. May 20, 15:50

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:34
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Now, we'll see what happens with the new Enterprise, with a your Spock and the story of the new (old) captain.
Sadly, I doubt it, unless they're planning a spin off series to completely reboot TOS. The next season of Discovery is taking place in the far future. And we already know what happens to Pike and the Enterprise from the unaired pilot of TOS (The Cage) and it's aired retelling (The Menagerie).
It has been recently announced a Star Trek series talking about the events between Discovery meeting the Enterprise and "young Kirk" story from the 2010s movies. Pike will be its captain and Spock a member of the staff on board.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 26. May 20, 15:58

But why the need to retcon old stuff, is what I wonder. Have we lost the ability to tell new stories with new characters at all?
Sure add some nuggets here and there, but I'm sure there are plenty of stories to be told in teh Star trek universe, do those. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 26. May 20, 16:00

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:50
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:34
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
It has been recently announced a Star Trek series talking about the events between Discovery meeting the Enterprise and "young Kirk" story from the 2010s movies. Pike will be its captain and Spock a member of the staff on board.
I'll take it! More Trek is never a bad thing, except for that last JJ verse Trek movie... that was just awful.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 26. May 20, 16:19

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:58
But why the need to retcon old stuff, is what I wonder. Have we lost the ability to tell new stories with new characters at all?
Sure add some nuggets here and there, but I'm sure there are plenty of stories to be told in teh Star trek universe, do those. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar
lol True. The member berries have a powerful effect. I dunno, perhaps it's just to 'modernize' TOS.

There was an episode of Enterprise where the mirror universe crew came upon the Constitution-class USS Defiant, and they used recreations of the sets used for the 1960's Enterprise. And I completely get what they were trying to go for, but it was just sooooo out of place given the style of technology used on the sets of the modern day series for a ship that was supposed to be more advanced in every aspect.

I've asked myself the same question many times. But without the reboots we wouldn't have had the MCU movies, which most people loved. But we are getting new stories out of Picard and Discovery.

Besides, the previous CEO of CBS hated sci-fi and was not interested in doing anything Star Trek related. Glad his rapey ass is gone.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 26. May 20, 17:01

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 26. May 20, 15:58

MFG

Ketraar
I see this "use the old stuff" in so many areas, not just movies, I think you're horribly right.

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 07:20

I thought Discovery season 1 was okay but there were many things that annoyed me. Season 2 was a huge improvement for me however that was mainly due to the additional cast members playing Pike, Spock and Number One on the enterprise, there was still some silly stuff (lazy writing plot hole things as usual) that annoyed me though. Season 3 loses those great additions so I fear it'll disappoint me again lol. My love of the Disco season 2 Enterprise content of course also leaves me super excited for Star Trek Strange New Worlds (aka the Star Trek Pike show fans demanded heh) as they've said it will be a more traditional episodic Star Trek adventure show on the Enterprise! So hopefully they can't screw that up too much... although there's some rumour (possibly BS) out there that it's also going to have a young bisexual Kirk running about in the show so read into that what you will lol!!

Back to good old Picard.. I've decided I'm not going to call it that anymore now. To me this show shall now be known as 'Patrick Stewart Goes To Space' (PSGTS for short) as there really isn't much Star Trek or Picard in it lol!!! I've been waiting for the 'Critical Drinker' to review PSGTS as I've become an fan of his after seeing his Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker reviews on those cluster****s. Sure enough in the video below you can see he hates it and he talks about Picard himself being rather useless just like I talked about in my episode reviews earlier in this thread. Yes I know hating on stuff is kind of his gimmick haha but he makes good points that match a lot of my previously posted thoughts.

This is Patrick Stewart Goes To Space!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmqcLv8Q-4

And this is Star Trek Picard baby!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZQnkY2fXk

Last edited by Blake00 on Sun, 5. Jul 20, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 00:02

Patrick Stewart has said season 2 will feel more like TNG. He said that it's a bit different for the next season because the actors had gotten to know each other before filming where as in season 1, they didn't get the chance to interact off set until filming had finished as they were all off doing promotional tours and such.

I dunno, either way, we'll see.

But one tid bit that caught my eye, LeVar Burton is going to make an appearance. Nothing mentioned if it's just a visit or if he's joining the crew. Though, from the backstory, Geordi built the ships that were used by the synths to attack Mars - that was in the comic series that was released prior to the show's airing.
rebellionpac.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 08:43

There was a "possible future" thing in a Voyager episode (set 20 years in the "future", as I recall) where Geordi was in command of a Galaxy-class ship. That was in a timeline where Voyager never made it back to the Federation, though, so no idea how things changed when the ship *did* make it back.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 10:56

There's so many alternate timelines in Star Trek that trying to keep them straight would make your head explode.

The only things I'm expecting to see from Geordi being in the mix is that he and Rafi have some working history together as they likely interacted with each other while Picard was trying to organize the evacuation of Romulus. Also he was Data's best friend, so I'm sure he'll have some kind of todo with Soji. Whether or not he's still in Star Fleet is up in the air.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 16:52

I really hate the abuse of alternate timelines, so that companies could milk the IP even further. Terminator is a good example.
I heard a rumor that they plan to put entire Disney Star Wars trilogy as an alternate timeline using some time travel plot device from SW Rebels.

Both ST and SW are so huge and rich that it's really total lazynes (you can skip all the canon and plot consistency with it).

Not that I care anymore - SW and ST seem plain stupid (I mean like the old SF movies in 50s and 60s with cardboard and pajamas uniforms) comparing to The Expanse and even to Battlestar Galactica remake.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 17:35

I got to around 10 - 15 minutes into episode 6 before I turned it off and I have never had the urge to go back to finish watching the last few episodes.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 01:49

First episode of Discovery season 3 launched today. I liked the episode quite a bit. I don't wanna spoil so I won't go into any details but I feel like they really set the stage here for some "back to it's roots" Star Trek with the possibility of drawing direct links in the different eras of the various Star Trek series. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes and I'm really curious to see if the events played out in Picard lay the foundation for this future universe.
rebellionpac.com

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 08:53

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 16. Oct 20, 01:49
First episode of Discovery season 3 launched today. I liked the episode quite a bit. I don't wanna spoil so I won't go into any details but I feel like they really set the stage here for some "back to it's roots" Star Trek with the possibility of drawing direct links in the different eras of the various Star Trek series. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes and I'm really curious to see if the events played out in Picard lay the foundation for this future universe.
I loved the concept for Discovery, but was continually irked by dialogue between actors which was so damned obviously aimed at 'educating' the viewer, without any subtlety whatsoever.
Such as wrote:"We've a leak in the antimatter core," Burt said, clutching his friend's spanner.

"The antimatter core? That's the power source for the engines which propel us at speeds faster than light," Eric said, one eye bulging from its octagonal socket. "And will you get your grubby hands off my spanner. We're on duty!"
*EDIT* Just watched the opening episode too, and it was very enjoyable. - Michael Burnham is still a student of the Jim Carrey School of Overacting, but that's a minor blip.

Wasn't there a separate Discovery thread?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 5. Apr 21, 23:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk9F90wklRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20sCtCSPFc

If there was only one thing I wanted to see returned to Picard, this is it. Really excited to see this play out!
rebellionpac.com

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 02:45

Looks like I may need to get another free subscription to CBS. I'll wait until the season is over, so I can binge-watch.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 02:51

If you are refering to Q (one video is not available) I must say, Q was one of the most annoying characters in all of Star Trek, there is probly not many characters I despise more then Q, always hated space magic in Star Trek.

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 05:32

Observe wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 02:45
Looks like I may need to get another free subscription to CBS. I'll wait until the season is over, so I can binge-watch.
Gonna be a while. New season isn't premiering until 2022. Should be a good one, though. Between LeVar Burton and John de Lancie being confirmed to be in the season and the regular cast, I'm sure we'll get some good character interactions. I think Whoopi Goldberg is even going to appear as well... probably in the same sequence as de Lancie. Maybe we'll finally find out what Guinan can do to counter Q.
rebellionpac.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 09:31

Not sure how that's going to work--John de Lancie is, let's be honest, somewhat older than he was during the run of TNG, and surely Qs don't age? And it doesn't seem likely he'd be deliberately making himself look older in order to fit in better with Picard, it's not in Q's nature to do that sort of thing. I'll be certainly interested to see how they pull it off, but I really hope they don't just handwave away the age thing.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 15:14

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 09:31
Not sure how that's going to work--John de Lancie is, let's be honest, somewhat older than he was during the run of TNG, and surely Qs don't age? And it doesn't seem likely he'd be deliberately making himself look older in order to fit in better with Picard, it's not in Q's nature to do that sort of thing. I'll be certainly interested to see how they pull it off, but I really hope they don't just handwave away the age thing.
If they can make Mark Hamell look like he did in the 80's, they can handle Q. =p But knowing how Q behaved, I would expect he'll appear similar to how he did in TNG, make a snide comment about Picard's age, and make himself appear older as a joke. That wouldn't be out of character for Q. But, ya know, there's tons of races that live for centuries in Star Trek and they've done fairly well with those, cameo appearances aside.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”