For those appalled by US politics, our UK politics isn't anything to be proud of

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Re: For those appalled by US politics, our UK politics isn't anything to be proud of

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 23. Nov 18, 16:58

says it all really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hrhcGzcTGI

the only thing that unites us here in England, is the absolute stupidity of our politicians.. :mrgreen:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Chips
x4

Re: For those appalled by US politics, our UK politics isn't anything to be proud of

Post by Chips » Sat, 24. Nov 18, 17:46

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 20. Nov 18, 10:09
Yes but as you point out this was a fairly recent change to the law, well . . . . recent enough that I can remember the point at which companies stopped bribing me with freebies, mores the pity (no sportscars or expensive wines here, scientists are INCREDIBLY cheap, we'd be happy with a nice pen and some biscuits)
Erm, when you see a date on a piece of legislation, it doesn't mean that was the first instance in history. So 2010 was a consolidation/updating of various laws sprinkled around legislation over the years. e.g. Anti bribery/corruption acts date from 1880's forwards; possibly a multitude of various locations.

However, no real idea how much it changed over the years.
This is basically bribery innit.
No. Perhaps get reading :D However, I wouldn't read legislation. There's likely handy bitesized bullet points you can read from companies and/or maybe Government websites.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 08:52

I'm amazed how you think your politics are bad or similar. You want to have our Angela for a month or two? With all her staff. She will show you how to make your politicians be angels in comparison, and you wish you had taken her for a week only. :gruebel:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 09:25

- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 01:46

Chips wrote:
Sat, 24. Nov 18, 17:46
However, no real idea how much it changed over the years.
Much of the UK's view of itself is based on WWII.
Much of the UK's position in WWII was based on The Empire.
Much of The Empire was based on the East India Company.
Much of the East India Company was based on capital provided by Elizabeth I.
Much of the capital that Elizabeth I had available to her was based on investments she'd made in Drake's anti-Spanish ventures.
Much of the capital that Drake pulled together, to fund those ventures, derived from slave trading and piracy (and indeed in their own right involved piracy and slavery).

So not much then.

(and yeah yeah, a very superficial rundown, and there are some glaring omissions, obvious amongst which is our tax evaders to the left and the French to the right, oh, and proto-Germany and that bugger Bismarck. Etc etc etc).

Still, hopefully an amusing lens for my countrymen to use to reflect on our national virtue :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”