Death announcements for persons of note

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Death announcements for persons of note

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 22:02

John Glen just died. At 95 though, not a bad run.

Somewhat of an awesome life he led, first American in orbit (fiirst man to do full orbits too I think). Actually a nice view into part of it can be seen in the movie 'The Right Stuff'.
Only went into space once during his working life, because he was declared a living treasure and thus not risked. He went up in the shuttle at 76 in 1999, setting the record of oldest man in space.

Of course he was a politician too, but that I know nothing about.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 22:11

:(

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 22:12

I'm getting old, all my heroes are dying....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 22:16

mrbadger wrote:I'm getting old, all my heroes are dying....
well come on. there's always good whiskey

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 22:25

not for me, after my 'event' in 2013 that knocked me off the forum for a few months while I was busy recovering in hospital I'm no longer able to drink.

Well I can, but there is so much potential risk it's not fun.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 23:34

alright, plan B.

lots and lots of chocolates! bags of cannolies

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 8. Dec 16, 23:41

fiksal wrote:alright, plan B.

lots and lots of chocolates! bags of cannolies
Shouldn't that be, bags of calories.

On Topic.

R.I.P. John

Married for 73 years, and to the same person, impressive.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 9. Dec 16, 08:01

mrbadger wrote:not for me, after my 'event' in 2013 that knocked me off the forum for a few months while I was busy recovering in hospital I'm no longer able to drink.

Well I can, but there is so much potential risk it's not fun.
err herbal biscuits can be fun :)

RIP JG
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 9. Dec 16, 09:08

muppetts wrote: err herbal biscuits can be fun :)

RIP JG
Not until they make it legal, I like my drugs quality controlled.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 9. Dec 16, 16:35

muppetts wrote:
err herbal biscuits can be fun :)

RIP JG
Unless of course if makes you psychotic.
A flower?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 9. Dec 16, 18:04

LOL not those kind, your looking at more of a 4 quick pints feeling than loony tunes!

What have you been eating!

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 10. Dec 16, 04:08

John Glenn: A life well-lived. He did amazing things early in life, following that up by leveraging his fame into a career of service in the Senate, and his life was long.

Really, that's a good model for the rest of us.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 10. Dec 16, 10:25

Not allot of his kind around anymore, I wonder what he thought of the direction of things these days.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 10. Dec 16, 14:26

muppetts wrote:Not allot of his kind around anymore, I wonder what he thought of the direction of things these days.
Given that he was willing as a young man to sit on top of a huge silo of explosive liquid and be fired into space, he probably thought we are a bunch of wimps :)

I believe he fell asleep while he was waiting for the launch too. That was in The Right Stuff at least.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 10. Dec 16, 16:01

mrbadger wrote: I believe he fell asleep while he was waiting for the launch too.
I'm sure I heard in an interview with another astronaut (I forget which one) that *all* of them do that--there's nothing for them to do but wait for all the ten million checks to be done at that point, so why not grab some Zs?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Dec 16, 20:05

mrbadger wrote:I'm getting old, all my heroes are dying....
The thing about Heroes is that there are as many new ones created as there are moments of conflict, turmoil, disaster or otherwise "interesting times."

The day we find a lack of heroes would be a very grand day, indeed... or a very terrible one.

People still strap themselves to explosive equipment manufactured by the lowest bidder. They still work in a protective shell designed to be the lightest it can be, while sill holding a breathable atmosphere.

And, I am absolutely positive that there is at least one person, right now, doing something horrendously stupid that will, someday, be declared to be uniquely heroic. I'm not sure they'll live or die in the attempt, but I am sure we'll be either entertained or inspired by their actions...

John Glenn was definitely a steely eyed rocket man with brass balls that clanked when he walked. Thankfully, we still have a pretty good supply of those people left. (Women included, though I haven't come up with a witty euphemism for them, yet.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 04:18

Alan Thicke is dead. Actor, talk show host and song writer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/al ... -1.3895472

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 10:38

is it bad that I've never heard of him? Probably heard some of his work though

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 10:40

What's more depressing than famous people dying is your work colleagues not knowing who they are. A brief poll yesterday (some of these aren't dead) they didn't know who:

Yul Brynner ; Burt Lancaster ; Charlton Heston ; Kirk Douglas (Happy 100TH!) or even Shari Lewis ;) were!
A flower?

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 18. Dec 16, 00:54

Not a secret: Henry Heimlich, inventor of the Heimlich Manouvre died agd 96. Don't know how many people choked and got hugged with his special grip. But I sure hope he will rest in peace as it was quite a few.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Return to “Off Topic English”