What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 08:43

Wow, nice we are now full circle back to TV with running adds.

I'd rather cancel everything and read a book (and definetly not an eBook, coz the might get ads eventually :) ).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 12:55

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 08:43
[...]coz the might get ads eventually :)
You are late to the party, low-cost eBooks have ads.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 13:18

mr.WHO wrote:
That's not what is happing though. I don't have any stakes in streaming services or even have much sympathy for them, but you can still subscribe for the non adds version, what they are doing is making options for people that rather pay less and endure some adds instead. So you get MORE options, which is a good thing, as usual you can opt to not subscribe to those. :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 13:48

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 13:18
mr.WHO wrote:
That's not what is happing though. I don't have any stakes in streaming services or even have much sympathy for them, but you can still subscribe for the non adds version, what they are doing is making options for people that rather pay less and endure some adds instead. So you get MORE options, which is a good thing, as usual you can opt to not subscribe to those. :roll:
Except that with recent and upcoming price hikes, inflation, cheaper "ads package" will become current price, and non-ads package will become expensive premium price.

Even if not be like that at first (to bait people for it), it will be shortly after the introduction.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 14:39

Well you are getting worked up about possible future outcomes though. Sure its a possibility, it might not be. Just wanted to note that while criticism is fine, it should be at least accurate.

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 15. Oct 22, 23:15

The next three Episodes of Andor (4-6). I would say it was worth watching it. :) The 3-Episode-At-Once watching cycle definitely pays off. :D
Ketraar wrote:
Thu, 13. Oct 22, 00:33
Tamina wrote:
Wed, 12. Oct 22, 20:13
What is your favourite animated Disney movie? 😁
Lion King and Wreck-It Ralph are the ones that stand out for me if we are talking classic Disney. If we talk Disney Pixar then Up for sure, The first Incredibles, Inside Out and Soul are very good ones. :)
No, Mulan (the original, not that extremly stupid life-action adaption) is the best animated Disney movie, and that is a factual objective opinnion to be adapted. 😁 I would have accepted The Treasure Planet as well, purely by the fact it was the last hand drawn animated movie before Disney lost its soul - and it is also a good movie. Anyway, Mulan is your new favourite movie now, by the law of facts, you are welcome. 😁😋
Jokes aside, that is a very good selection you listed there, still haven't watched that one movie on Prime Video yet. 🤣 There is so much stuff coming out recently.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 15. Oct 22, 23:54

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 15. Oct 22, 23:15
No, Mulan (the original, not that extremly stupid life-action adaption) is the best animated Disney movie, and that is a factual objective opinnion to be adapted. 😁 I would have accepted The Treasure Planet as well, purely by the fact it was the last hand drawn animated movie before Disney lost its soul - and it is also a good movie. Anyway, Mulan is your new favourite movie now, by the law of facts, you are welcome. 😁😋
Hehe, sure. I have not seen either of the two though. In fact I have not seen many of the old "princessy" type Disney movies, so my list of choices is rather short. I have seen several as a kid but hardly recall them other then knowing there existence. Never was much into the style Disney does these bland "hero/princess" movies so I never get interested about them. Lion King I was socially bullied to watch but ended up liking it quite a bit, mostly because of the music I must say not so much the story. Wreck-it Ralf I watched because I really like Sarah Silverman, she is very funny and the movie has a nice story.

MFG

Ketraar

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 16. Oct 22, 20:42

If we're talking Disney animated, top 3 OG have to be Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, with Lion King a very close 4th... but they've had a lot of really good movies with the new style along with Pixar like Brave, Moana, Wreck it Ralph, Wall-E, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Coco, Raya and the Last Dragon. I'll have to echo the sentiments that I'm glad they've moved away from the Princess type movies... they still have em, and that's ok... but they're putting out a lot of good stuff.

I was pretty bummed about Lightyear... i thought it could have been so much better. Wasn't a big fan sadly... i really wanted to be.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 16. Oct 22, 21:47

Ketraar wrote:
Sat, 15. Oct 22, 23:54
Tamina wrote:
Sat, 15. Oct 22, 23:15
Mulan [...]
Hehe, sure. I have not seen either of the two though. In fact I have not seen many of the old "princessy" type Disney movies, so my list of choices is rather short. I have seen several as a kid but hardly recall them other then knowing there existence. Never was much into the style Disney does these bland "hero/princess" movies so I never get interested about them. [...]
Mulan is not a traditional "Disney princess", she is not even Royal in any form. In fact, Mulan is "just a (young) woman", not valued at all in ancient Chinas society, with her only designated role being to "bring honor to the family" by raising kids. To protect her father, she joins the military in his place by disguising herself as a man. As it turns out, her female traits she tried to hide are not only complementing her male counterparts but are essential in their quest to save China.

The official trailer does a much better job explaining then I do but it contains spoilers from 1:15 and onwards. The movie transports a beautiful message and is therefore my all-time animated Disney favourite movie. 😁 Ironically, the recent real life adaption recklessly rolls over the message and makes it a Marvel superhero movie - do not recommend.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 22. Oct 22, 04:55

Started to watch The Peripheral available on Amazon Prime. Very catchy!

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 25. Oct 22, 17:29

Once upon a time this would have been a worthy of it's own thread, sadly now it isn't. The final episode of the 13th Doctor in Doctor Who was broadcast at the weekend as part of 100 years of the BBC. Admittedly, I haven't watched Doctor Who since turning off halfway through the New Year Day episode in series 11. After watching this final episode I've come to the conclusion that it's Chris Chibnall's (Chibbers) writing that is the cause of the problem.
I'll put the rest in spoilers.
Spoiler
Show

I'm not sure I can quite articulate my feelings about this episode. It has some good ideas, let down by poor execution (extremely dodgy CGI in first scenes),some lazy story telling and some really bad written dialogue. One thing you can say is that it is all action all the way. Unit is back, not sure how that happened, we have Tegan and Ace back as Unit agents, the Master is back (I found him well written and well acted - it's a pity the Doctor isn't) with a plan to destroy the Earth and the Doctor, that involves the Cybermasters and the Daleks (who didn't seem themselves, rather subdued and not psychopathic ), time travel (some set in 1916 for no apparent reason) and volcanoes.
The Master's plan partially succeeds to trick the and steals her body forcing an regeneration in the Doctor Master (the best Doctor for 3 years), the companions are left help in a form of a AI Holo Doctor, who helps Yaz fly the Tardis and recover the other companions (Kate Stewart, Tegan, Ace, Graham (who just shows up with no explanation) and someone from an episode I haven't seen. The AI appears to each of the companions as they "own" Doctor so Tegan sees Five (who mentions Adric who was killed by Cybermen), Ace sees Seven and the Doctor has an afterlife scene in which she sees her old incarnations namely, One, Five, Six, Seven and Eight, who stop her from leaving the living long enough for the body takeover process to be reversed.They defeat the plans of the Master, the master escapes, although severly weakened, and in final act manages to injury the Doctor fatally.
The old companions set up a support group to discuss they time with the Doctor (sounds like a spinoff) , the Doctor says her Goodbyes and flies off in the Tardis to regenerate into the 14th Doctor - David Tennant, who's first words are "I know these teeth!".
A flower?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 25. Oct 22, 19:15

Just finished watching The end is Nye. It's about six different scenarios on the end of the Earth, for example the second episode is about the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting. It's presented by Bill Nye (the science guy) and was co-written by Seth MacFarlane, Brannon Braga and Bill Nye, so it also has a bit of humour thrown in. While it's a little bit dodgy at times as it is aimed more at the American market, it is quite good and worth a watch, if you can watch it.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. It's based around the game, which is why the popularity of the game went up when it was released. It's okay though I don't think it is as good as it is being made out to be, but worth a watch.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 25. Oct 22, 20:21

felter wrote:
Tue, 25. Oct 22, 19:15
I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. It's based around the game, which is why the popularity of the game went up when it was released. It's okay though I don't think it is as good as it is being made out to be, but worth a watch.
Despite being a huge Cyberpunk [2077] fan I'd never mentioned this one - as it's awful [IMHO]. Had to quit after a few minutes and it's indeed the very first content I rated on Netflix ever in order to never get reminded about it again by their algorithm.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 25. Oct 22, 21:15

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 25. Oct 22, 20:21
Despite being a huge Cyberpunk [2077] fan I'd never mentioned this one - as it's awful [IMHO]. Had to quit after a few minutes and it's indeed the very first content I rated on Netflix ever in order to never get reminded about it again by their algorithm.
I feel you - the visual style of studio Trigger, that made Egerunners, is very peculiar and many people don't like it.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 28. Oct 22, 05:42

Which is sad, i'm a huge cyberpunk genre fan... and the show i find very MEH....

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05

Finished watching The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - now over to bit different type of fantasy: House of Dragon.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:10

Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05
Finished watching The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - now over to bit different type of fantasy: House of Dragon.
Was it worth it? I got to the third episode and sort of found better things to do with my time, so haven't continued as of yet. If people tell me overall it's really good I'll watch it shortly. Otherwise, may leave it until I'm unemployed. One day.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:44

Chips wrote:
Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:10
Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05
Was it worth it? I got to the third episode and sort of found better things to do with my time, so haven't continued as of yet. If people tell me overall it's really good I'll watch it shortly. Otherwise, may leave it until I'm unemployed. One day.
Well, whether it is worth it or not gets very subjective so that part is totally depending on you and your life situation and priorities.

I liked The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power despite it getting bad press online in certain circles (the type that thrives on drama). Must watch TV material - it is not... But it is decent fantasy tale. Note that season two will probably arrive sometimes in 2024.

House of Dragon I would rate above the Rings of Power although they are very different shows. It is a political drama in same vein as Game of Thrones were (in early seasons). I liked it a lot so far but note that season two of this will also arrive sometimes in late 2023 or in 2024.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 04:22

Rings of Power is a solid 6.5/10. Not great not terrible. It startet good but there was a lack of passion and felt rushed towards the end.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 19:02

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 31. Oct 22, 04:22
Rings of Power is a solid 6.5/10. Not great not terrible. It startet good but there was a lack of passion and felt rushed towards the end.
It's worse, the more you know the deep Lord of the Rings lore.
I could see casual viewers giving it 6-7/10
I'd give it 4/10 at best, simply because it went too far from the Tolkien and becoming showrunners personal brainlet.

I rate it 0/10, knowing that we could have more seasons of The Expanse for fracture of the costs of this trash.

I'll take Marco Inaros throwing stones at the Inners, over incel Sauron.
I'd rather see rise of Laconia, than rise of Mordor.

Return to “Off Topic English”