What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 11:33

Just finished watching "Veronica Mars" from start to finish on Amazon (via starzplay), reminded me of Buffy without Vampires and it is touches on darker themes. Also just started "The Boys" on Amazon, a very different take on the Superheroes theme. (Quite a lot of profanity - it would have given Mary Whitehouse a funny turn!)
A flower?

Lenah90

Post by Lenah90 » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 14:09

I was thinking about starting a new series (this thread is full of ideas), but I'm always watching the same like a hundred times :P . I just finished to watch Grimm (again...).

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 04:07

Not really a movie or TV but ... for some reason this showed up in my youtube recommendation feed today. It got me thinking: imagine a place where stuffs like this can be passed as harmless comedy rather than kicking up a shitstorm.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 21:11

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 10. Oct 20, 04:07
Not really a movie or TV but ... for some reason this showed up in my youtube recommendation feed today. It got me thinking: imagine a place where stuffs like this can be passed as harmless comedy rather than kicking up a shitstorm.
Mitsuboshi Colors, an anima that reminds me of Rugrats for some reason. The RPG is from the first episode there is no lead up to it they just suddenly attack the cop with RPG. The cop is their friendly nemesis, they are always playing pranks on each other. A mid range Anime, neither great or bad. That clip has been pretty well edited, as there is much more to it than you are seeing in the clip. For example, the reason it didn't fire for them was because the safety was on which they didn't know about, in the full clip it is talked about and you see the policeman turning it off before firing the RPG.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 23:24

Das Boot, the series on Now TV .

It's not a remake of the older version nor a retelling the book but it is rather gripping.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 14. Nov 20, 21:00

Just watched my very first Studio Ghibli movie ever on Netflix "Howl's Moving Castle". The visuals were quite good and the pre-first world war setting was very impactful but the story.. was horrible. :D The ending was the worst ending I have ever seen in any movie ever. :D
Even if they had just ended it there without an ending would have been ten times better :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 20:03

Just watched a youtube video on asteroids that was pretty interesting.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 20:20

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 14. Nov 20, 21:00
Just watched my very first Studio Ghibli movie ever on Netflix "Howl's Moving Castle". The visuals were quite good and the pre-first world war setting was very impactful but the story.. was horrible. :D The ending was the worst ending I have ever seen in any movie ever. :D
Even if they had just ended it there without an ending would have been ten times better :D
The story for Ghibli movie is really taste dependent. One thing you never go wrong with them is the music, especially the theme song. Walt Disney got a good hit once a while (like Lion King or The land before time), but Ghibi and Joe Hishashi have never disappointed in term of music, not even once.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 9. Dec 20, 18:36

'Raised by Wolves' released a few days ago on Sky (UK.) Although the first 45 minutes of episode one did all in their power to put me off watching further, I quickly grew into the series. It's based on a religious faction vs atheists, who've destroyed Earth and the tattered remnants are attempting a fresh start on another planet. There's atheist android necromancers, so what more do you need to know? I've watched a few episodes (it's a Ridley Scott production) and am thoroughly enjoying it.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 9. Dec 20, 18:52

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 9. Dec 20, 18:36
'Raised by Wolves' released a few days ago on Sky (UK.) Although the first 45 minutes of episode one did all in their power to put me off watching further, I quickly grew into the series. It's based on a religious faction vs atheists, who've destroyed Earth and the tattered remnants are attempting a fresh start on another planet. There's atheist android necromancers, so what more do you need to know? I've watched a few episodes (it's a Ridley Scott production) and am thoroughly enjoying it.
I've watched it off and on on HBO. It's interesting but a bit strange too. I love watching religious zealots getting kicked in the teeth but they've also turned atheism into a cult and it's just strange the way it's portrayed.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 9. Dec 20, 21:11

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 9. Dec 20, 18:52
Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 9. Dec 20, 18:36
I've watched it off and on on HBO. It's interesting but a bit strange too. I love watching religious zealots getting kicked in the teeth but they've also turned atheism into a cult and it's just strange the way it's portrayed.
They really missed a trick on that score, but 'kinda' hinted at what I think they should've done as an alternative. - They're acting more as humanists than atheists, that is saying humanity comes before religion. (I think this was introduced as a concept when it was first revealed the religious dudes had destroyed the Earth.) - If they'd just worked with 'god First' vs 'humans first,' it would've worked far better. (I did this in a novel, once. Not available from any good book stores...)

There is some weird shit going on in it now, but I've long since accepted there's no need for rationality in a series/film if you can throw a handful of glitter in front of an audience.

And I have a thing for the android woman when she goes all 'weaponised.' *swoons* :oops:

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 12. Dec 20, 22:48

This may have been posted before, but if not, and if you're the slightest bit interested in AI / computing / gaming, this is fantastic viewing:-

AlphaGo - The Movie.

It's surprisingly compelling, and surprisingly human.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 14. Dec 20, 18:09

So anyone been watching the second series of the Mandelorian, what with 1 more episode to go it's been pretty good, even better than the first series and that was good in it's own right.

Tolmos
x3tc

Post by Tolmos » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 06:06

I'm trying to go back and watch the original Doctor Who series, like from season 1 in the 1960s, onward. It's... challenging due to how old the show is and how corny it can be compared to modern sci fi, but at the same time it's really interesting.

What keeps me going is seeing what they got right about the future. The first example that really floored me was in the very first episode- the Doctor's granddaughter accidentally claimed that the England was using the decimal system for currency, and was laughed at ruthlessly by her peers. She said "It just hasn't happened yet!" or something like that. I looked it up, and that episode was from around the early-mid 1960s. According to Wikipedia, if I read correctly, England moved to the decimal system in 1971. That's just clever.

But yea, my goal is to work my way from season 1 ALL the way through to the modern era with the 13th Doctor and her companions, including reading all the books along the way. It's going to take forever but seems worth it.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 09:01

Tolmos wrote:
Tue, 15. Dec 20, 06:06
I'm trying to go back and watch the original Doctor Who series, like from season 1 in the 1960s, onward. It's... challenging due to how old the show is and how corny it can be compared to modern sci fi, but at the same time it's really interesting.

What keeps me going is seeing what they got right about the future. The first example that really floored me was in the very first episode- the Doctor's granddaughter accidentally claimed that the England was using the decimal system for currency, and was laughed at ruthlessly by her peers. She said "It just hasn't happened yet!" or something like that. I looked it up, and that episode was from around the early-mid 1960s. According to Wikipedia, if I read correctly, England moved to the decimal system in 1971. That's just clever.

But yea, my goal is to work my way from season 1 ALL the way through to the modern era with the 13th Doctor and her companions, including reading all the books along the way. It's going to take forever but seems worth it.
I wasn't strong enough to watch episodes from the 60s, even if I love Doctor Who.
felter wrote:
Mon, 14. Dec 20, 18:09
So anyone been watching the second series of the Mandelorian, what with 1 more episode to go it's been pretty good, even better than the first series and that was good in it's own right.
The first season looked more like episodes to introduce the characters (at least the first 4-5 episodes gave me that impression). A very good job until now, imho.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 21:42

All 3 of the Stargate TV series are leaving Amazon Prime in a couple of days. Netflix has already picked up SG-1, again. Haven't seen any word if they're going to pick up Atlantis and Universe as well, though, I would be surprised if they didn't. Definitely binge worthy TV shows!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 22:03

Stargate Atlantis and Angel are my two go-to series which I can watch again and again.

It might be time for Atlantis just one more time... :)

Wonder if SGU will ever reboot...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 10:48

Well seems like there was a last minute contract renewal and Stargate is back on the menu with Amazon Prime. You may continue to enjoy your off world adventures!
rebellionpac.com

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 11:14

Not in the UK, unfortunately. Atlantis is available via MGM, but that's an added subscription here. SG1 is chargeable per episode/series, but I believe they're available on Sky with the relevant subscription.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 14:12

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 11:14
Not in the UK, unfortunately. Atlantis is available via MGM, but that's an added subscription here. SG1 is chargeable per episode/series, but I believe they're available on Sky with the relevant subscription.
SG1 is on Netflix, at least in the US. The others aren't, though. I forgot but I did buy the entire franchise on Amazon a while back.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”