What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by euclid » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 01:22

Just finished the last season of the Netflix show Formula 1: Drive to Survive. Very tense, if you like F1 races even more so.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 01:36

As a former F1 fanatic (yes getting up at 4am to watch Australia GP and the likes), I quite liked the show, though must admit I skipped some portions. It also rekindled my interest for F1, but not enough to pay to watch, so I just stick to highlights.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: The Most unintentional hilarity is that Kimi has like 20 seconds screen time, he is there to race not to do reality TV. :D

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 13:30

I have watched
Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 23:23
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
on Netflix. In this order. As I promised. 😄

---

> Batman Begins
Exactly as I anticipated before in this thread: It is a flat "super good heroic guy beats super evil guy" action movie without any substance. I watched it over a couple of days because I had trouble staying interested. 😋 The cheap production and bad cuts also killed it a bit for me but it is a movie from 2005, so I don't know what I did expect.
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: The Wayne family and city has two different backstories in both not matching each other, rendering both completely incompatible with each other.

> The Dark Knight
This one got me hooked over time. Boring at the beginning, increasingly interesting to the end. Ultimately I kinda liked it. Still a typical superhero movie.
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: In my opinnion, "Joker" even reinforces this movie. He was torn apart by society between good and evil and went crazy ("Joker"), then he pressures the two "true good" guys - Bruce and Wayne - if they stay true to their hearts. Dent goes crazy as well, Bruce resists. It even explains some plot holes in the movie, i.e. where Joker is getting his men from doing all the crazy things for him for err.. nothing in return?

> The Dark Knight Rises
My favourite one of all three. Bane was a great character, and crazy cat lady for the win. 😄 Banes voice and how he talked, was just great. So polite, so innocent, yet so raw. It was an interesting movie from the start and Batman had surprisingly negligible screen time. 😊
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: The actors were a bit poorly chosen as some of the same actors in both movies play different roles. Besides that, there is nothing much to be said.

All 4 movies tell a similar backstory about how lower class people get neglected and the city turns criminal. "You forgot caring about the details".
All of those movies had so many plotholes that I could count them on a minute basis. The Joker, to me, gave those movies at least some kind of substance and explained some intentions behind the characters.

---

Final words: You either have to watch the trilogy with "Joker" as the first movie OR "Batman Begins" but in any case, "Joker" is probably not meant to be interconnected with the trilogy in the first place. 😁
I still like Joker as a stand alone movie but @Ket you were right. It doesn't really fit into the trilogy as it is barely duck taped to the the second movie.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 15:39

We will have to have a chat about "without any substance", or maybe I'll find late some time to write a theses on how many details were left out (will take too long so proly wont do it, who knows). I'll just say that I strongly disagree that the Joker in The Dark Night is crazy or even has social issues, hence why he is crazy. I would argue he is all but crazy, in fact he is the one in control of the narrative and embracing his nature. His point being that everyone is like him and most are just faking it. Making Dent turn into Two Face a major defeat for Batman, so much so that they had to LIE about who he became and make Batman "the bad guy" to the public just to keep hope up, because if Dent can turn, everyone can.

But yes the gist of it is, The Joker doesnt fit the Batman universe at all.

MFG

Ketraar

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 01:52

Killing Eve.

feel I'm late to this one, as I have been with many a tv show :D

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 27. Jul 21, 11:00

Chips wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 01:52
Killing Eve.
Ah yes great show. Very fun villain, I just love Villanelle and the writing is very good (no surprise since Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the main creator).

MFG

Ketraar

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 21. Aug 21, 03:36

Just watched the Ross Kemp documentary on HMP Barlinnie or as we would call it the Bar-l. I doubt he got even close to the true picture of that hell-hole, I've known a few that call the place their second home, and he wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near them. All the same, it is an interesting documentary, seeing something I know about but have never seen on the inside in person. I have been in a couple of them, though never as a prisoner.

On a side note, they are actually in the process of shutting the place down, they are currently building a new replacement prison. The new prison will house 1200 prisoners, but here's the thing, The big hoose (the other name for it) already has 1600 prisoners, so where are those other 400 going to go, a 1200 prison is not big enough.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 13:31

I've been watching the new Dust (and Netflix) series
"Atropa"

Excellent Sci-Fi and "who/what done it".
Thankfully all the episodes are posted on YouTube each time a day after streaming on Netflix.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 23:15

It is not on Netflix Germany, so I am glad you mentioned Youtube :) Seems interesting, only 10 minutes per Episode, I will give it a try :)

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 00:14

All 7 episodes are now posted on YouTube.
If you search for "Atropa" you'll see dust had it in production for 3-4 years so we DUST fans had a long wait, but it was worth it.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:07

They could have put all the episodes together and made a short film rather than 7 short episodes.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:15

I agree, but that's Dust's format. 15 minutes.
MIND THE GAP

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 04:06

I don't know what Dust is, or that there is even a fanbase, but I am honest: After Episode 2, it made me resume The Expanse :D This guys eyeliner game kept me from concentrating on the show. His eyelashes look magnificent. :D

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 18:57

I finished watching Star Wars Visions - the anime take on Star Wars.

I think it's on pair with Halo Legends and Animatrix - some are weak and miss, but overall it's worth watching.

No spoilers or very delicate ones:
Episode 1 - 5/10, kinda generic samurai story, but I like the twist at the end (and I almost got tricked into another Skywalker vs younglings).
Episode 2 - 3/10 kids anime trash Tatooine rock concert band, albeit good graphic.
Episode 3 - 8/10, kinda...good? Both visually and story wise, even if a bit over the top silly (hyperspace ramming, hold my beer, we're going to the next level!).
Episode 4 - 10/10, I like this one the best, good graphic, story and music.
Episode 5 - 9/10, most star wars-isch wibes and lightsaber fights and story is nice.
Episode 6 - 0/10, WTF is this trash! Robo-Jedi-Pinokio? and graphic looks neither SW nor anime. It's atrocity like dreaded SW Christmas Special.
Episode 7 - 7/10 very good graphic, but the story is rather simple, generic and bland.
Episode 8 - 10/10 SW Furries, but despite that has very good old school anime vibe and even proper SW wibes, plus the story is interesting to the point I would like to see more (as a bonus nice scene with Raider corvette).
Episode 9 - 2/10, to me the drawing style is very ugly and if not the light sabers, this would have zero SW wibes.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 21:31

Started Foundation, based on a book by Asimov. First few episodes are promising.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 29. Sep 21, 11:56

So apparently Babylon 5 is getting a reboot, lead by J. Micheal Straczynski (same dude that wrote the original).

JMS has said this will be a new story line, not a continuation of the original. No idea if this means he'll be using elements from the original or something completely different. But he seems eager to apply what he's learned from his work with other things, like his involvement with the MCU, and use more modern technology to breathe new life into Babylon 5.

It's set to air on the CW network at some future date. No word on what streaming services this will be brought to, yet.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 29. Sep 21, 12:38

Could have been nice a decade ago, but now after The Expanse, I'm not so keen on the shows with alliens that are just humans with funny ears (coz aparently CGI is still very expensive, 10+ years after Avatar).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:37

Squid Game (Netflix) Trailer (Spoiler)

If you are searching for a good series currently, have a look at this one.

It is about a fictional Takeshi's Castle, lead by a mysterious organisation, where people fight for their lives in order to win money. The participants have to answer some difficult ethical questions. The series is surprisingly heterogeneous, if this makes any sense. With that I want to say, it doesn't just go from one game to another, as the premise of the series' pitch would like to tell you. The story alternates quite a bit, including different parallel storylines and character developments. Keeps things intersting :)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 23:31

Watched Dune yesterday and am a little disappointed. Not even sure why. Maybe because it has a hard time to compete with the 1984 version or because it is only part 1 which does not cover the "good stuff". I do not mind multi-part movies (The Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.) and do appreciate that the entire story has not been squeezed into 2.5 hrs. (the very first concept by Jodorowsky was aiming for a 6+ hrs movie). I'll wait for part 2 (or even part 3) before making any further comments ;-)

Cheers Euclid

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 19. Oct 21, 17:19

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:37
Squid Game (Netflix) Trailer (Spoiler)

If you are searching for a good series currently, have a look at this one.
[...]
I only saw the first two episodes by now because I am watching it with someone and we did not get further into it. If it holds its quality then I certainly think it might be a contender for series of the year, even though the premise is not exactly original, the execution is brilliant.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”