What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by euclid » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 20:28

Started to watch Debris, an unusual sci fi series.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 08:49

It looks interesting, I'm taking a look at it in the future.

I'm recently watching Attack on Titan and find it really enjoyable.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 17:41

Watched the trailer for 'Bring It On, Ghost,' on Netflix, and decided to give the (South Korean) series a try. And real glad I did.

12 rated, and definitely with a young adult feel, it's a paranormal drama with a strong vein of (slapstick) comedy running through it. The two central characters are a college student who doubles up as an exorcist in an attempt to gain enough money to get his eyes (that can see ghosts) fixed, and a young female ghost who suffers from amnesia.

The acting is pretty good, and it has the feel of a pretty high budget production about it, with the supporting actors really adding to a very well-rounded series.

A solid double thumbs-up from me.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 04:19

Just finished watching Zack Snyder's Justice League, took me a few days to watch it all the way through as it is around 4 hours long and it is good, way better than the original.

Also been watching resident alien, staring Alan Tudyk as an alien who crash lands on Earth, where he takes the likeness of a doctor and is given a job in a small town as their resident doctor, once again it's pretty good and worth a watch.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 05:19

Came across Manifest by accident. Just started season 2 and still hooked. Thrid season suppose to be aired in April.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 08:35

Anyone watched "For All Mankind"?

From YT trailers it looks like The Expanse + alternate Cold War in 60/70s setting.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 20:11

Joker, on Netflix

Not a superhero movie but a serious one about the tragic backstory of Joker (Batman), in the same year he became Joker. I am absolutely not a fan of superhero movies but I watched The Dark Night (Netflix) partially after that, and the backstory gives it a totally different feeling than just "generic good guy beats generic bad guy". I liked it a lot, it is one of the better movies I have watched this year :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 12:58

I liked The Joker a lot, mostly for Phoenix's performance, but it only worked for me because I told myself this was not a Joker movie at all, instead it was just a random dude dressed as a clown with issues.

Seems to be a theme that has gone way too far about movies making characters sympathetic, it ruins the character more then anything else. The Joker (character) is such great villain because he makes no sense, he represent chaos. Giving him "reasons" for his actions devalues the characters main purpose by a lot. The need to tie it into the Batman universe hurts this movie and worse it ruins the version Heath Ledger created (which is the best characterisation imho). I get that if they called the new movie anything else other then The Joker, most people would not have gone to see it (cause people are... well.. people..).

The other thing I feel is not as good, is the The Joker subtly implies the correlation between mental illness and violence, which is unfortunate as it perpetuates the stereotype. Still a good movie worth watching, I would not cal lit a superhero movie at all btw.

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 14:37

I haven't called it a superhero movie as well :P If you watch it as a superhero movie you will be disappointed. This movie could have very well played in real life, outside any superhero universe.

I liked the complexity this movie gave to Jokers character :) but also to the Wayne family, showing the ignorance they had towards problems of lower class and blatantly generalizing them as criminals, effectively contributing to the downfall of society. And the other politicians followed suit, trying to win the elections. And the movie is not only about Joker but also about the downfall of Gotham City in general.

Making Joker a product of society is logical and beautiful. It doesn't make him sympathic but blurs the lines between good and bad to an indistinguishable level. Batman is not the solution but part of the problem, Joker is definitly not the good guy but also not the root of the underlying problem.

If someone watches this movie and thinks "oh, mental illnesses are the problem" then they can't be helped, sorry. :D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 16:09

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 14:37
I liked the complexity this movie gave to Jokers character
Well then they should have taken another character I find. The joker is literally the wildcard in any card deck, that is the character, it does not need a backstory and a sad reason for being a bad person. The joker basically exists to give Batman a mirror. Any backstory will soften the wildcard effect the joker has and as a result degrade the character. (looking at you Cruella :roll: )
Making Joker a product of society is logical and beautiful. It doesn't make him sympathic but blurs the lines between good and bad to an indistinguishable level.
Yes that is the problem, the Joker is not and should not be a product of society. More to that in the mental illness part.
And the movie is not only about Joker but also about the downfall of Gotham City in general.
The movie is about mental illness and despair. It adds some themes pertinent at the time, about chaos, reality TV and a certain narcissistic personality that said they could shoot some one in 5th av and get away with it. The fact that they choose to use Gotham as a setting is probably more related to the fact that pitching a superhero movie is safer these days. Would not surprise me if it was defined afterwards (not saying it was).
Batman is not the solution but part of the problem.
This is only true in the Zack Snyder verse. Batman is the embodiment of the "real hero", to contrast to the pure hero (Superman), where the first is a "real" person that does the right thing DESPITE their own feelings, of hate and revenge. Batman is not a good person, that is why he is hero. The Joker is then the wildcard that keeps pushing Batman to the edge of the line, not because he was wronged, not because of society, because its the Joker.
If someone watches this movie and thinks "oh, mental illnesses are the problem" then they can't be helped, sorry. :D
No one "thought" it, but the message is there. If only the gov hadn't cut the social funding, if only his mother would have treated him better, if only he would not get bullied at work, etc etc... this is a fallacy, because there are a gazillion people everyday that have same or worse lives and they don't go out and become a monster that kills people. Its a choice the character makes. Sure there are some factors to consider, but he could have chosen to not harm others, instead he went and got the attention he was seeking all along.

Again if this was a movie with a new character in a "realistic" setting, it would be a much better movie, instead its just a (very) good performance from Phoenix. All the bits where he is not in, are not that good (to bit nice about the effort).

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:03

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 16:09
Tamina wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 14:37
I liked the complexity this movie gave to Jokers character
Well then they should have taken another character I find. The joker is literally the wildcard in any card deck, that is the character, it does not need a backstory and a sad reason for being a bad person. The joker basically exists to give Batman a mirror. Any backstory will soften the wildcard effect the joker has and as a result degrade the character. (looking at you Cruella :roll: )
Which is the reason I dislike superhero movies so much. They are bland, black and white, good and bad and cater to this weird fantasy that the "bad" guys need to be violently fought. It is the true embodiment of US' jurisdiction where you are born a criminal and need to be imprisioned, in contrast to trying to reintegrate criminals into society again or stop that from happening in the first place with social projects.
The whole idea of "Arkham City" is weirding me out by a lot.

When it comes to taste, there is no correct way. We both, obviously, have a different one on that matter, and I do realize that I am probably part of a minority here. I guess them chosing a super hero universe for this story is just the wrong fan base, which expects mindless "good guy beats bad guy" action.
Ketraar wrote:
The fact that they choose to use Gotham as a setting is probably more related to the fact that pitching a superhero movie is safer these days. Would not surprise me if it was defined afterwards (not saying it was).
I thought the same, honestly.
Ketraar wrote:
Batman is the embodiment of the "real hero" [...] that does the right thing DESPITE their own feelings, of hate and revenge. Batman is not a good person, that is why he is hero. The Joker is then the wildcard that keeps pushing Batman to the edge of the line [...]
A nice way looking at it, but I don't see how the movie "Joker" is violating that notion. Batman stays the hero but he is never solving the problem, he is delaying it. Joker keeps pushing him, maybe to prove him not being a hero.
Ketraar wrote:
its just a (very) good performance from Phoenix. All the bits where he is not in, are not that good (to bit nice about the effort).
It is :)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:45

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 17:03
I guess them chosing a super hero universe for this story is just the wrong fan base, which expects mindless "good guy beats bad guy" action.
I think you are being a bit unfair here. Most people I know that like Superheroes, like them for the character, not the action. I for one grew up with Superman comics, its about the never ending optimism, not about how his mother is called. I think its safe to say that many of the movies are made from a financial perspective and less about the characters they are based on. Most of the superhero movies are about B or C level characters, that existed only to fill the comics. No one really cared about Loki, or even Iron Man really. The reason most Comic Book movies are bland is because the people often making them have no clue why people like the characters in the first place.

Though most are entertaining, which is their main purpose. ;-)
Tamina wrote:
Which is the reason I dislike superhero movies so much. They are bland, black and white, good and bad and cater to this weird fantasy that the "bad" guys need to be violently fought.
Didtn you say you saw the Darn Knight ones? There is nothing black and white there. You should watch all 3 they are really good movies.
Tamina wrote:
A nice way looking at it, but I don't see how the movie "Joker" is violating that notion. Batman stays the hero but he is never solving the problem, he is delaying it. Joker keeps pushing him, maybe to prove him not being a hero.
It only works if the joker is the wildcard. Should you watch the Dark Knight its made clear where the Joker actually "wins" (wont spoil if you haven't seen it). If instead its just a dude that had bad luck in life, it changes the dynamics of the character. Its the joker, probably the most iconic villain after Darth Vader (yes they ruined him too in prequels I know, but then they kind of fixed it in clone wars, so.. phew?)

MFG

Ketraar

I love movies as much as love games

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 18:37

I will watch it :) But I don't know the names of the movies and in which sequence to watch them, if there is any, and if they are even on Netflix. They all have different names 😂 Couldn't they have just named them Batman Episode 1 - 9. Oh no wait, that didn't work out either :D

... but I will watch the Dark Knight. And I will come back! Maybe not here but in chat! *rhyme master* :D

I will still love the movie "Joker", though, because I don't know the movies without it ;)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 23:23

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

In this order. Was not able to find them on Netflix anymore in my country though.

MFG

Ketraar

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 11:16

Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime. It's actually quite good and highlights how hard it is to be farmer. (Clarkson doesn't help with his "schemes" and choice of tractor!)
A flower?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 01:22

Just finished the last season of the Netflix show Formula 1: Drive to Survive. Very tense, if you like F1 races even more so.

Cheers Euclid

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 01:36

As a former F1 fanatic (yes getting up at 4am to watch Australia GP and the likes), I quite liked the show, though must admit I skipped some portions. It also rekindled my interest for F1, but not enough to pay to watch, so I just stick to highlights.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: The Most unintentional hilarity is that Kimi has like 20 seconds screen time, he is there to race not to do reality TV. :D

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 13:30

I have watched
Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 23:23
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
on Netflix. In this order. As I promised. 😄

---

> Batman Begins
Exactly as I anticipated before in this thread: It is a flat "super good heroic guy beats super evil guy" action movie without any substance. I watched it over a couple of days because I had trouble staying interested. 😋 The cheap production and bad cuts also killed it a bit for me but it is a movie from 2005, so I don't know what I did expect.
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: The Wayne family and city has two different backstories in both not matching each other, rendering both completely incompatible with each other.

> The Dark Knight
This one got me hooked over time. Boring at the beginning, increasingly interesting to the end. Ultimately I kinda liked it. Still a typical superhero movie.
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: In my opinnion, "Joker" even reinforces this movie. He was torn apart by society between good and evil and went crazy ("Joker"), then he pressures the two "true good" guys - Bruce and Wayne - if they stay true to their hearts. Dent goes crazy as well, Bruce resists. It even explains some plot holes in the movie, i.e. where Joker is getting his men from doing all the crazy things for him for err.. nothing in return?

> The Dark Knight Rises
My favourite one of all three. Bane was a great character, and crazy cat lady for the win. 😄 Banes voice and how he talked, was just great. So polite, so innocent, yet so raw. It was an interesting movie from the start and Batman had surprisingly negligible screen time. 😊
- Regarding the "Joker" movie: The actors were a bit poorly chosen as some of the same actors in both movies play different roles. Besides that, there is nothing much to be said.

All 4 movies tell a similar backstory about how lower class people get neglected and the city turns criminal. "You forgot caring about the details".
All of those movies had so many plotholes that I could count them on a minute basis. The Joker, to me, gave those movies at least some kind of substance and explained some intentions behind the characters.

---

Final words: You either have to watch the trilogy with "Joker" as the first movie OR "Batman Begins" but in any case, "Joker" is probably not meant to be interconnected with the trilogy in the first place. 😁
I still like Joker as a stand alone movie but @Ket you were right. It doesn't really fit into the trilogy as it is barely duck taped to the the second movie.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 15:39

We will have to have a chat about "without any substance", or maybe I'll find late some time to write a theses on how many details were left out (will take too long so proly wont do it, who knows). I'll just say that I strongly disagree that the Joker in The Dark Night is crazy or even has social issues, hence why he is crazy. I would argue he is all but crazy, in fact he is the one in control of the narrative and embracing his nature. His point being that everyone is like him and most are just faking it. Making Dent turn into Two Face a major defeat for Batman, so much so that they had to LIE about who he became and make Batman "the bad guy" to the public just to keep hope up, because if Dent can turn, everyone can.

But yes the gist of it is, The Joker doesnt fit the Batman universe at all.

MFG

Ketraar

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 01:52

Killing Eve.

feel I'm late to this one, as I have been with many a tv show :D

Return to “Off Topic English”