What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 18. Jan 21, 15:50

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 17. Jan 21, 09:45
If anyone is planning to watch the film 'Archive' on its digital release tomorrow, I wouldn't mind hearing their opinion of it. - BBC review has piqued my curiosity.
Just bought from Sky Store for £7.99. (It's £8.99 on Amazon.)

*edit*

Archive is a good film, near future scifi, with one central character surrounded by AIs of varying complexity. Some great twists, emotionally charged scenes and ending that I just didn't see coming.

Not a classic, but good for a couple of hours of intense viewing.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 4. Feb 21, 02:57

Watched the controversal TV show Messiah available on Netflix. It's a shame the series was cancelled due to the many complains (churches, political parties, nations etc.).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 12:14

It's happening! MCU is bringing on X-Men!!!
Wandavision Ep 5 spoiler
Show
Even Peters, who portrayed Quicksilver in the X-Men movies has made his first appearance in Wandavision as Pietro Maximoff. This is gonna be interesting to see how they play this off since Darcie remarked, "She recast Pietro?!". Regardless, with the Maximoffs being Magneto's kids, this may be one of the bridges between Fox's X-Men cast and what Disney is going to do with the X-Men going forward. There's even some speculation that Magneto is going to make an appearance in the final episode of Wandavision; they are being super tight lipped on who the surprise cameo will be other than to say there is a big reveal coming. I didn't mind Michael Fassbender as Magneto, so it'd be cool if they bring him in as well.
It'll be interesting to see if Disney adopts the more recent X-Men movies as canon in part or in whole into the MCU.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 6. Feb 21, 23:42

euclid wrote:
Thu, 4. Feb 21, 02:57
Watched the controversal TV show Messiah available on Netflix. It's a shame the series was cancelled due to the many complains (churches, political parties, nations etc.).

Cheers Euclid
Cancelled? That's a real pity - I thought it handled a tricky subject rather well and I was interested to see how they progressed the story.

Oh well, back to rewatching BSG reboot :)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 8. Feb 21, 20:52

berth wrote:
Sat, 6. Feb 21, 23:42
euclid wrote:
Thu, 4. Feb 21, 02:57

Cheers Euclid
Cancelled? That's a real pity - I thought it handled a tricky subject rather well and I was interested to see how they progressed the story.

Oh well, back to rewatching BSG reboot :)
Makes you wonder about a possible "Second Comming"; maybe it has happened already and he's rotting in some mental institute ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 9. Feb 21, 12:33

Just watched Star Trek: Lower Decks and it's surprisingly... Trek like. Yes it dials tropes up to extremes and goes farcical with it, but overall, it sticks to the Star Trek 'feel' pretty well.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 9. Feb 21, 15:22

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Tue, 9. Feb 21, 12:33
Just watched Star Trek: Lower Decks and it's surprisingly... Trek like. Yes it dials tropes up to extremes and goes farcical with it, but overall, it sticks to the Star Trek 'feel' pretty well.
I liked it too!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 16. Feb 21, 14:01

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Tue, 9. Feb 21, 15:22
Golden_Gonads wrote:
Tue, 9. Feb 21, 12:33
I liked it too!
It was indeed a cool show, that is if you are into that kind of humour. I personally found it quite enjoyable and I am looking foreward to season 2.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 16. Feb 21, 16:36

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 12:14
Wandavision Ep 5 spoiler
Show
Even Peters, who portrayed Quicksilver in the X-Men movies has made his first appearance in Wandavision as Pietro Maximoff. This is gonna be interesting to see how they play this off since Darcie remarked, "She recast Pietro?!". Regardless, with the Maximoffs being Magneto's kids, this may be one of the bridges between Fox's X-Men cast and what Disney is going to do with the X-Men going forward. There's even some speculation that Magneto is going to make an appearance in the final episode of Wandavision; they are being super tight lipped on who the surprise cameo will be other than to say there is a big reveal coming. I didn't mind Michael Fassbender as Magneto, so it'd be cool if they bring him in as well.
It'll be interesting to see if Disney adopts the more recent X-Men movies as canon in part or in whole into the MCU.
Wandavison
Show
I did wonder that at the time, perhaps Wanda is "bringing in" different versions of "dead" characters from other dimensions, I know that this has been a common thing that they have been doing in the comics in the last twenty years or so. If also worries me that the halloween costumes Wanda and Vision wore were the costumes that I remember when I used to get my "Marvel" comics back in the 70's.
A flower?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 16. Feb 21, 16:49

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Tue, 16. Feb 21, 16:36
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 12:14
Wandavision Ep 5 spoiler
Show
Wandavison
Show
I did wonder that at the time, perhaps Wanda is "bringing in" different versions of "dead" characters from other dimensions, I know that this has been a common thing that they have been doing in the comics in the last twenty years or so. If also worries me that the halloween costumes Wanda and Vision wore were the costumes that I remember when I used to get my "Marvel" comics back in the 70's.
One thing to consider...
Spoiler
Show
Disney announced they're doing a Deadpool movie as part of the MCU phase 5 and Ryan Reynolds is confirmed as the headliner. They're playing the X-Men thing very close to the chest, though. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they struck a deal with Fox to incorporate the X-Men movies into the MCU as canon to pick up additional sales of the X-Men movies Fox produced.

I think the prevailing theory is that what ever is going on with Wandavision is leading up to the Multiverse of Madness and that's going to be the thing that brings X-Men into the MCU. It's just not been clear if they're going to use the same characters from Fox's X-Men or cast new ones.

I wouldn't be concerned about the costumes though. That was just a call back to the comics and really intended as a "neat" moment but not directly relevant to the story.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 17. Feb 21, 00:10

Back on track wth season 5 of The Expanse, episode 3 is the most recent, I think. Great stuff.

Just finished S3 of Westworld - gotta say I was a bit disappointed with this. Not Altered Carbon S2 or, heaven forfend, Star Trek: Discovery levels of disappointment but I think they reached a bit too far with the plot. Might require a second viewing.

Watched Ep1 of Barbarians(Netflix): enjoyable tosh about the lead up to the battle of the Teutoborg Forest - seems better than The Last Kingdom so far, hence I'll watch some more.

..umm, still quite enjoying the nth rewatch of BSG on BBC iPlayer. A good time-filler, when it's good, it's frackin' awesome.

....Ah! BBC again: Art of Persia - a three part history/art/travelogue thingy. Fascinating but clearly subject to "don't talk about this or this" rules.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 17. Feb 21, 09:14

I was so satisfied with season 1 ending of Westeworld I refused to watch the subsequent episodes.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 17. Feb 21, 21:24

Finished watching The Flight Attendant miniseries (8 episodes). Nihilistic main character (which reminded me of certain people I know, which hooked me in first place) which wakes up beside a dead man remembering nothing. Yep there are couple of books and films with same theme, nothing original there but decent series nevertheless.

Finished watching Expanse (great last season, better than previous one).

Also finished watching Primal - surprisingly enjoyable.

Snowpiercer tv series is next on the list, if I get the time.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 03:59

So I stumbled onto this late last night Time Team Classics. 20 or so old episodes of the Archaeological programme from channel 4. If you like your Archaeology and history then they are worth a watch. They are also trying to get time team back into production. It would be nice to see some new episodes but the old ones, even though I have seen them before, are still interesting to watch again.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 07:44

felter wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 03:59
They are also trying to get time team back into production.
I don't think it would be the same without Mick Aston and his mad hair.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 09:28

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 16. Feb 21, 16:49
Spoiler
Show
Disney announced they're doing a Deadpool movie as part of the MCU phase 5 and Ryan Reynolds is confirmed as the headliner. They're playing the X-Men thing very close to the chest, though. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they struck a deal with Fox to incorporate the X-Men movies into the MCU as canon to pick up additional sales of the X-Men movies Fox produced.

I think the prevailing theory is that what ever is going on with Wandavision is leading up to the Multiverse of Madness and that's going to be the thing that brings X-Men into the MCU. It's just not been clear if they're going to use the same characters from Fox's X-Men or cast new ones.

I wouldn't be concerned about the costumes though. That was just a call back to the comics and really intended as a "neat" moment but not directly relevant to the story.
Just to be sure, I put it into a spoiler...
Spoiler
Show
At a certain point in time, Wanda "killed" all the mutants with her "NO. MORE. MUTANTS.".
Perhaps this is a new timeline where she creates them...

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:04

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 07:44
felter wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 03:59
They are also trying to get time team back into production.
I don't think it would be the same without Mick Aston and his mad hair.
He actually only appeared in around 2/3 of the original programmes. Personally I think if they do decide to do a remake, it should be a totally new cast. Also you have to take in the age of the old presenters, Phil Harding is 71, Mick Aston would be 75, while Tony Robinson is also 75 this year, so none of them are youngsters any more. Tony Robinson has also said he would like to be involved but he is pretty busy so he doubts he would be able to present it. While Phil Harding who is still digging, has not commented on being involved. As far as I'm aware, but it would be nice to hear more on any of this.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:28

felter wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:04
Personally I think if they do decide to do a remake, it should be a totally new cast.
Completely agree, a total reboot would be the way to go. Neil Oliver springs to mind as well as the other fella he used to present with on TV, whose name I forget, but is also in a similar profession.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 22:51

What's going on here, there is something totally wrong with this, someone actually agreeing with me for a change. :o

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:22

:lol:

Tony Pollard!

Two Men in a Trench was the programme! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwjO77zht8

Excellent! ( Unless memory fails me... )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Return to “Off Topic English”