What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 29. Sep 21, 11:56

So apparently Babylon 5 is getting a reboot, lead by J. Micheal Straczynski (same dude that wrote the original).

JMS has said this will be a new story line, not a continuation of the original. No idea if this means he'll be using elements from the original or something completely different. But he seems eager to apply what he's learned from his work with other things, like his involvement with the MCU, and use more modern technology to breathe new life into Babylon 5.

It's set to air on the CW network at some future date. No word on what streaming services this will be brought to, yet.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 29. Sep 21, 12:38

Could have been nice a decade ago, but now after The Expanse, I'm not so keen on the shows with alliens that are just humans with funny ears (coz aparently CGI is still very expensive, 10+ years after Avatar).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:37

Squid Game (Netflix) Trailer (Spoiler)

If you are searching for a good series currently, have a look at this one.

It is about a fictional Takeshi's Castle, lead by a mysterious organisation, where people fight for their lives in order to win money. The participants have to answer some difficult ethical questions. The series is surprisingly heterogeneous, if this makes any sense. With that I want to say, it doesn't just go from one game to another, as the premise of the series' pitch would like to tell you. The story alternates quite a bit, including different parallel storylines and character developments. Keeps things intersting :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 23:31

Watched Dune yesterday and am a little disappointed. Not even sure why. Maybe because it has a hard time to compete with the 1984 version or because it is only part 1 which does not cover the "good stuff". I do not mind multi-part movies (The Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.) and do appreciate that the entire story has not been squeezed into 2.5 hrs. (the very first concept by Jodorowsky was aiming for a 6+ hrs movie). I'll wait for part 2 (or even part 3) before making any further comments ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 19. Oct 21, 17:19

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:37
Squid Game (Netflix) Trailer (Spoiler)

If you are searching for a good series currently, have a look at this one.
[...]
I only saw the first two episodes by now because I am watching it with someone and we did not get further into it. If it holds its quality then I certainly think it might be a contender for series of the year, even though the premise is not exactly original, the execution is brilliant.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 23. Oct 21, 19:30

Watched Dune last night on IMAX and oh boy was it a great experience. My man Villeneuve knocked it out of the park 9/10, one of the best cinematic experiences I had since the first Matrix. Wil go and watch it again (non IMAX this time).

MFG

Ketraar

Star_Raider15
x3

Post by Star_Raider15 » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 17:31

Ketraar wrote:
Sat, 23. Oct 21, 19:30
Watched Dune last night on IMAX and oh boy was it a great experience. My man Villeneuve knocked it out of the park 9/10, one of the best cinematic experiences I had since the first Matrix. Wil go and watch it again (non IMAX this time).

MFG

Ketraar
I loved it too. But to be honest I would have preffered Dune be turned into a TV series. I just feel the books are better adapted in that format since they give more freedom and allow all the weird stuff in the Dune books to shine. Getting them on Audible is also worth it.

As for what I'm watching:
The TV series Black Sails. Still have 3 episodes left, but it's pretty good. I like how real the conflicts are and how well thought out they are.
Last edited by Star_Raider15 on Tue, 16. Nov 21, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
The answer is just another question.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 18:29

Someone mentioned Babylon 5... I've found you can watch Babylon 5 on IMDB TV btw (it's advert supported), and if you've Amazon devices, it uses IMDB as a source too - so can find it in there.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 19:15

Star_Raider15 wrote:
Wed, 10. Nov 21, 17:31
But to be honest I would have preffered Dune be turned into a TV series.
The movie does not exclude this possibility, in fact I'd argue it may create the needed buzz for such a series to be green lit. But it would need Game of Thrones type budget to truly shine, but I doubt the genre has enough watchers for that.

MFG

Ketraar

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 17. Dec 21, 15:32

The Witcher season 2 is now on Netflix. :-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 30. Dec 21, 13:37

Just watched the last episode of season 3 of The Expanse, and there was a lot of wooting, I have to say. - Will start on season 4 tomorrow.

And watched the last episode of season 1 of the Witcher Yesterday. - The series has improved, and I'll dig into series 2 on the weekend (next year.)

The streaming services have such good content for such a reasonable price, I am kinda regretting signing up to 18 months of Sky, other than for the sports package.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:35

IMO, Witcher season 2 is a total letdown.

<Light spoilers below>

Too many long boring dialogues (I had to skip forward like 60% of the season) too few of a real action.

Really cheap take on the monster fights, except the fight with Bruxa (if entire season would be like first 2 episodes, then S2 would be on par with S1):
- Eskal-Leshen fight - totaly bland, a few swings of swords and that's all, totally unmemorable.
- big fight with Forest Leshen? Nope, Giant Bug come and kill it with one strike.
- big fight with Giant bug? Nope, Geralt comes from the back and one-swing decapitate it.
- big fight with Tshernobog? Nope, Geralt gulp one elixit and ambush-jump, one-slash kill it.
- Final fight with powerful Witch? Nope, lets have Jurassic Park instead, with Basilisk that looks more like Raptors and just fight in the background with some rando witchers. For all the quality CGI they put into Basilisks, it was waste of resources.

Last, but not least, the soundtrack is totally bland and barely existing. Nothing the quality of season 1 soundtrack.
None of Yaskier songs are as memorable or quality of "Toss a coin for the witcher".

If anything improved, it's Nifgard Armor, but all other things are worse in Season 2, so I'd rather have Season 1 with cheap scrotum-armor.
Oh, the second and the last good thing of Season 2 is that they got rid of Season 1 unchronological mixed timelines.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:49

If anything from Netflix 2021 is worth endorsing it would be Arcane.

Seriously, I have very little to none knowledge of Legue of Legends universe, but the show got me hooked.
Great animation, world building (even if you know nothing about it), soundtrack, story, character development, cool action scenes and fights (like legit good boxing from Vi).

It's strange, cuz for me, till now any Anime from Netflix was synonym of boring, bland and generic, yet somehow Arcane is none of it.
It's almost like someone actually put 200% serious effort into making something good.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 17:10

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:49
If anything from Netflix 2021 is worth endorsing it would be Arcane...

Added that to my watchlist a couple of days ago. - Trailer certainly promised it'd entertain.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 17:36

mr.WHO wrote:
Yes I agree its very good and I too had only known of LoL that it exists but have no knowledge whatsoever. Arcane has several good story arcs about characters with actual personalities and "shades of grey". Also has good action and worldbuilding, making it very immersive, so much so I often forgot I was watching animation.

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 03:47

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 31. Dec 21, 13:35
IMO, Witcher season 2 is a total letdown.
I know *nothing* about The Witcher universe but I totally loved season 1. And was disappointed by season 2 a lot as well. It felt like an unmotivated filler without any tension. It failed to build up any tension for all major ground breaking events in the story.
mr.WHO wrote:
(if entire season would be like first 2 episodes, then S2 would be on par with S1):
So much this. Episode 1 was a blast!! With its very own little story arc and interesting characters.
mr.WHO wrote:
Oh, the second and the last good thing of Season 2 is that they got rid of Season 1 unchronological mixed timelines.
I thought the timelines were really clever. The confusing part was that there were nearly no indications when the times changed, and to when and where. The latter is still a problem in season 2 for non-Witcher-veterans. But if you make it to the end, everything starts to make sense and I thought it was very rewarding :)
mr.WHO wrote:
I liked Arcane by a lot as well. Even though, I disliked that the fights were pure show, like a wrestling match. They were logic bending as hell and the characters behaved unrational, both very obviously to keep the tension up.*
BUT HOW COOL IS JINX?!? I LOVE JINX SO MUCH! SHE IS CRAZY, BUT COOL, AND CUTE, BUT CRAZY AND COOL, and the ending was sooooooo gooood. :D

*What is up with that anyway, every anime seems to have millions of these disposable copy pasta people with the sole purpose to be slaughtered by a single person - every episode a couple hundreds more to keep the inflation of the tension at bay. I can't take the "military" or "police" seriously when they are beaten that easily, makes me question the entire background universe.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 17:13

Peacemaker on Crave tv Canada. Its a quirky superhero tv series. Offshoot of the movie The Suicide Squad. Kind of like the quirkiness of Doom Patrol in a way.

quirky opening credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

Book of Boba Fett. Kind of bland but explains what happened to Boba Fett after the Return of the Jedi fight.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 02:29

I had heard of Sword Art Online Abridged before, but I had never watched it, probably as it is not on any of the mainstream anime sites (crunchyroll, funimation) the other day there on YouTube's recommended list was a new episode of SAO Abridged and when I looked into it there was the current 16 episodes to watch, so I did. So what is SAO Abridged, it's a fan made parody of SAO where they have taken the original series re-edited it and added a new voice-over it's the same original SAO story just told differently and it's so good, and I highly recommend watching it.

Sword Art Online Abridged 16 episode playlist
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 03:45

I watched Archive 81 on netflix. Its a slow burner, theres just something about it - I think its well acted and it was fairly entertaining tbh. Worth a watch perhaps if you have nothing else to do.
euclid wrote:
Mon, 18. Oct 21, 23:31
Watched Dune yesterday and am a little disappointed. Not even sure why. Maybe because it has a hard time to compete with the 1984 version or because it is only part 1 which does not cover the "good stuff". I do not mind multi-part movies (The Matrix, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc.) and do appreciate that the entire story has not been squeezed into 2.5 hrs. (the very first concept by Jodorowsky was aiming for a 6+ hrs movie). I'll wait for part 2 (or even part 3) before making any further comments ;-)

Cheers Euclid
For all the hype I was utterly disappointed by this film. Im obviously a huge scifi fan and I just thought it was total tripe. The artistry is great and all, but thats just about all I enjoyed about it... totally forgettable and overhyped. People act like its blade runner or something, and for the artistry ide see where they were coming from, if it wasnt as deep as a puddle.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 00:16

Felt a little lost after watching the last episodes of The Expanse, so I've started on series one of 'Seal Team' and am watching 'The Gilded Age' each week on Sky. Gotta say, I'm reasonably impressed with Seal Team, but absolutely delighted by the Gilded Age.

Return to “Off Topic English”