Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Playing other games

Post by felter » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 16:05

So has anyone tried out the new DLC for Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. It is just the alpha release, not the final version, so there is not much in the way of reviews on it yet.

I have it but haven't installed it yet, as I haven't played the game in a while so I was just wondering what's it like.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 31. Mar 21, 19:08

Lost interest in ED after flying half way to Sagitarius and Back, to then buing and fully kitting an Anaconda.

Since the focus of this expansion is adding more shooting, now in FP, its not likely my interest will rise at all.

MFG

Ketraar

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 08:46

Too grindy for me. I loved it, the faction management (planning expansions and so on) was intriguing, but at some point it became too much work for a game.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 11:29

I haven't bothered getting the DLC as yet because I'm not a fan of the FPS aspect of it. I will wait to see how it improves the graphics of planets, etc before making a decision but I don't think I will bother. I Like I've said in a previous thread, I think they are trying to woo a younger audience into the game.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 5. Jun 21, 14:07

Been at a bit of loss since shelving X4 after around 1,000 hours of enjoyment. - Haven't really managed to get into Farnham's Legacy, so I bought Solasta, Crown of the Magister on release day.

Solasta uses the latest D&D rules with turn based combat, and it's damned hard in 'authentic mode' although there are two harder settings too. - It's rough in places, and the camera can be awkward at times, but the gameplay is deeply immersive. - If a character dies in a battle and you don't revive them in time, it's game over (back to the last save.) - This sense of finality makes you think hard about each battle, and the worst enemy can be bad dice rolls.

I'm around 25 hours in, and not far into the main plot. - The bonus is there's a dungeon designer (in beta) including, which means there's gonna be a lot of community content in due course. - It scores 91% on Steam (recent reviews 87%) and I can recommend it to anyone who likes deep roleplaying with a strong plot and challenging gameplay.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 5. Jun 21, 21:14

I'm playing Solasta as well right now - great DnD stuff :) The campaign & party design really remembers me of the awesome NWN games.

I especially like the new vertical gameplay AND - of course, the light mechanics. I'm a sucker for clerics & paladins against the evil dark creatures so that gameplay element really got me. :angel:

The reaction system is also very nice - having a shield spell or a defenders shield semi-automaticly deflect attacks is awesome.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 00:00

Yeah, it is pretty comprehensive, and seems to have been designed with pen and paper role players in mind. I've a party of (battle) cleric, armour-wearing mage, ranger and thief, but I reckon you'd get away with four clerics / three clerics and a paladin by choosing the right backgrounds for skill range. - It's linear in the gameplay progression, but I always liked Icewind Dale more than Baldur's Gate, so that's a bonus.

But it is buggy! - My present game is irreversible broken for me due to the linear nature (Dark Castle quest completion trigger didn't activate) and even reloading and going over the final scene doesn't work.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 11:08

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 00:00
[..] but I reckon you'd get away with four clerics / three clerics and a paladin by choosing the right backgrounds for skill range.
You can - and it is awesome :D I've a party of four clerics - two battle domains, one insight domain (identify ritual & crafting) and one life domain. Having 4 spirit weapons is fun :)
Gavrushka wrote:
But it is buggy! - My present game is irreversible broken for me due to the linear nature (Dark Castle quest completion trigger didn't activate) and even reloading and going over the final scene doesn't work.
Ouch - the dark castle is a bit wonky in times it seems. :/ There I also had the only problem in the game - I traversed the castle in the wrong order and didn't met the Adam the Twelth (going to the last floor and skipping the courtyard will make Adam never appear in the game). But that was only lost loot - I could at least progress further.

If you play in any language other then english, switching to english might do the trick. I can't even imagine what a developer has to do to trigger this kind of bug (translated content & code should always be seperated no matter what) but I read something similar reported by other players.

Spoiler
Show

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 16:18

There are too many games to play these days - a positive problem.

PC games:
- Star Citizen (PU Alpha 3.13)

One of my favorite games these days. Interested to see upcoming improvements in PU 3.14 soon.

- Griftlands

I have not played a game with this kind of implementation before so it feels fresh to me. I like the story as well so the game has definitely been quite nice experience so far.

- Sindome

This is kind of Cyberpunk RPG experience which I like. The best cyberpunk game I have ever played so far. CP2077 failed to impress and unfortunately it totally lacks everything what I was looking forward.

Tabletop games:
- Arkham Horror - The Card Game
- Starfinder
- Hero Kids

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 17:07

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 11:08
Gavrushka wrote:
[..] but I reckon you'd get away with four clerics / three clerics and a paladin by choosing the right backgrounds for skill range.
You can - and it is awesome :D I've a party of four clerics - two battle domains, one insight domain (identify ritual & crafting) and one life domain. Having 4 spirit weapons is fun :)
Gavrushka wrote:
Ouch - the dark castle is a bit wonky in times it seems. :/ There I also had the only problem in the game - I traversed the castle in the wrong order and didn't met the Adam the Twelth (going to the last floor and skipping the courtyard will make Adam never appear in the game). But that was only lost loot - I could at least progress further.

If you play in any language other then english, switching to english might do the trick. I can't even imagine what a developer has to do to trigger this kind of bug (translated content & code should always be seperated no matter what) but I read something similar reported by other players.

I might just have to do another restart with four clerics then, but I do kinda enjoy the thief's stealth. And maybe that just underlines the beauty of the game; you really can use the characters in the way D&D envisaged. - I have my thief go check out enemy lairs, work out the best places for each character to start the fight, and then you get a decent chance of winning the most challenging of encounters through tactics.

I've a feeling I have missed a load of the castle out. - I have no idea who Adam the twelfth is! - The entrance I chose took me to just a bunch of zombies patrolling, which I assumed was the normal ground floor, then I went to a floor where I killed the minor female necromancer who was a thorn in the vampire lady's side, then I did the Solar maze, and then it was the vampire lady and the ageing necromancer, who I intimidated into giving up the necromancy gem. - Thinking *not* killing the vampire lady (ashka?) had caused the problem, I teleported back from the capital to do so, but it made no difference. - I might just go back for what would be a fourth time and try every entrance, and see if it triggers the end. - Elsewhere, someone mentioned something about a 'queen' but that meant nothing to me. - Other point to mention is that in the room with the major teleporter (where you gain the necromancy gem) there was a barred room in the corner which I have never been able to access. - I can see inside it, and there's nothing seemingly there, but mentioning in case it's an issue.

Ah, I am a native English speaker, and the 'Gavrushka' tag was the name my ex wife called me by (the other ones being expletives... :| )

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 6. Jun 21, 18:30

felter wrote:
Wed, 31. Mar 21, 16:05
So has anyone tried out the new DLC for Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. It is just the alpha release, not the final version, so there is not much in the way of reviews on it yet.

I have it but haven't installed it yet, as I haven't played the game in a while so I was just wondering what's it like.
Played quite a bit Dangerous / Horizons (traveled to Beagle Point (other side of galaxy) and back) and quite enjoyed it but started to get lost with the ongoing "plot" which mostly seemed combat orientated and then they did a "feature update" and it messed up all my key bindings and I couldn't be bothered to set them all up again. Logged in again to see "Odyssey" and yes you can walk on planet now, but I'm struggling to see the point for explorers as there is nothing to doing when you are out in the middle of nowhere. Still not set up my bindings again and there are another slew of controls to learn as well. I don't think I've enough button/ keys to do it all :) I just find it a bit boring now.
A flower?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 7. Jun 21, 13:53

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 6. Jun 21, 11:08
)
Gavrushka wrote:

After going back to a save before I arrived at the location, I realise the dark castle broke the moment I got to the location. - The wolf dude along with his wolves didn't exist in the first run through, and my conversation was with fresh air (I'd thought it a ghost!) - There was no Adam the Twelfth guarding the courtyard, but there is now, although I couldn't find any other way into the courtyard, so went back in and killed him. (I hope that doesn't break the game.) - Thing is, when I first played, the plot spiel never went past 'investigate the dark castle' but now it's moved to 'find a way into the courtyard.' - And there's a plot directional locator working now, whereas there wasn't previously. Still, I'm now facing several more hours of repeating the same guff I did last time.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 7. Jun 21, 15:52

Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 7. Jun 21, 13:53
After going back to a save before I arrived at the location, I realise the dark castle broke the moment I got to the location. - The wolf dude along with his wolves didn't exist in the first run through, and my conversation was with fresh air (I'd thought it a ghost!) - There was no Adam the Twelfth guarding the courtyard, but there is now, although I couldn't find any other way into the courtyard, so went back in and killed him. (I hope that doesn't break the game.) - Thing is, when I first played, the plot spiel never went past 'investigate the dark castle' but now it's moved to 'find a way into the courtyard.' - And there's a plot directional locator working now, whereas there wasn't previously. Still, I'm now facing several more hours of repeating the same guff I did last time.
Strange - I played the castle like .. 4-5 times now (always looking for an even better party composition ^^) and made sure to put some variation in the sequence of things I do. But I never had those characters (wolf dude; dwarven ghost at cementery) disappearing / not loading. Adam can be missed if one rushes up the tower (for him to appear one has to fight the active guards). As soon as the final stair on the zombie level is uncovered the Adam-szenario is deactivated.

But glad you made it by now. Trust me, after the 4th time the dark castle is a breeze. :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Show

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 08:22

chew-ie wrote:
Mon, 7. Jun 21, 15:52

Strange - I played the castle like .. 4-5 times now (always looking for an even better party composition ^^) and made sure to put some variation in the sequence of things I do. But I never had those characters (wolf dude; dwarven ghost at cementery) disappearing / not loading. Adam can be missed if one rushes up the tower (for him to appear one has to fight the active guards). As soon as the final stair on the zombie level is uncovered the Adam-szenario is deactivated.

But glad you made it by now. Trust me, after the 4th time the dark castle is a breeze. :mrgreen:
I wonder if the update (hotfix) dropped around the time I arrived at the castle, first off, and somehow broke my saves. And this time I 'noticed' the cemetery near the long rest area, and so completed the dwarf quest too. - But I found the alternative entrance to the castle too late for poor Adam! The battle cleric eulogised as she smacked him to oblivion, so no real harm done. :wink:

And it's weird, but I don't mind repeating the same sections again, and that's something unique about this game. Kudos to the developers.

But what I'm already thinking about is new content! - The devs seem to be bugfixing at the minute, but the game mechanics/engine is without a doubt the best I've come across in all my roleplaying days, and they go back to 'Adventure' on the VCS2600 and 'Orb of Zot' on the MZ80K...

I much prefer solo computer RPGs, but with this it'd be great to just control one character, such is the strategic depth, and have other players control the remainder of the party.

I couldn't really get into Divinity II and The Witcher III (I will revisit both) and now I've already played more hours in Solasta than the other two combined.

KarlSten
xr

Post by KarlSten » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 12:17

Playing Hellpoint after it was given away on gog.com some days ago.
Edit:
Because Alan Phipps meant that I should write something about the game here some more information:
The setting of Hellpoint is a spacestation that orbits a black hole a few hundreds year for now in the future and you are some spawn who is supposed to explore the station and find out the truth of what happened there.
The combat is primarily melee but there are also some weapons for distance.
So far the exploration and combat are interesting although I made a mistake at the beginning by increasing the difficulty by using an effigy and got stuck at a boss fight. I had to grind a lot to beat him because I couldn't reduce the strength of the enemies because I lacked another effigy for that.
Last edited by KarlSten on Sat, 19. Jun 21, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 17:29

@ KarlSten: I think the idea is that you also describe Hellpoint a bit and say what you think of it so far for the benefit of other posters who may be interested. There is a free Hellpoint stand-alone story/chapter/sequel free on Steam at the moment if anyone wants to dip their toe into that gameworld, but it doesn't really appeal to me and so I cannot say anything more.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 27. Jul 21, 17:52

Came across Last Epoch and whilst still in beta mode (early access via Steam) I'm quite hooked atm. If you like Hack & Slash games (Diablo, Path of Exile, Wolcen, Grim Dawn etc.) you may want tot check it out.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Jul 21, 19:33

Steam aren't doing Last Epoch any favours. Although it is a single player game, it gets filtered out as if a multiplayer game if players set their preferences to exclude purely multiplayer games. :?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 27. Jul 21, 20:11

I recently noticed that Aragami 2 is coming up on steam at the end of summer.
I really liked the first game, and ran through it again recently. I highly recommend it if you like stealth games with a nice story.

I'm very eager to see what they came up with for the second title.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 18:08

Highfleet.

The game cant be put in exact category since it is a mix of genres. You are fighting in a civil war in a future where an event you as player are not told much about much of know society and accumulated historic knowledge is gone.

It is a wargaming game since you are leading a group of ships which each of them has a function in your task force either solely in strategic sense like missile launching ships or tankers or in battle screen as air superiority airships. There is signal intelligence, radar, ecm, etc. On other hand it is a roguelike game often compared to FTL where you cant save where you want but are expected to restart the campaign if you find yourself in a impossible position. Controls are bit off and can mean different things on same screen (like RMB), display resolution is fixed, you cant change control keys and frequent flashing is epilepsy inducing.
But still the game has piqued my interest.

Return to “Off Topic English”