Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Re: Playing other games

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 22:39

I didn't like ME2 at the time, though it has grown on me somewhat. 95% of the game felt like it was act one, then it skipped right to the end.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 01:02

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. ME2 has the best character developments for me among Bioware games (even more so than their classic BGII or the newer Dragon Age). I didn't really much care for most of them in ME1, but ME2 makes me want to BFF all of them. ME3 is great in that department too, but I think a lot of it owned to the foundation set in ME2.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:40

Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that? I'm fine with the more modern ones, but almost all those early ones lead me down the path of whiplash from projectile vomiting.

It's a shame because I loved the flippant feel of the game. :(
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 07:07

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:40
Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that?
It might be the field of view, is there an option to change that in the game settings?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:15

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 07:07
Gavrushka wrote:
Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that?
It might be the field of view, is there an option to change that in the game settings?
Yeah, I gave that a shot, setting it all the way up to widest (Postal 2 is very flexible with that) but it still had my stomach visiting my mouth. - I don't understand the science behind how older games do this, but not far newer ones. I never had issues when first playing games like Doom and Wolfenstein, but I guess age and decay have taken their toll.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:23

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:15
pjknibbs wrote:
Gavrushka wrote:
Yeah, I gave that a shot, setting it all the way up to widest (Postal 2 is very flexible with that) but it still had my stomach visiting my mouth. - I don't understand the science behind how older games do this, but not far newer ones. I never had issues when first playing games like Doom and Wolfenstein, but I guess age and decay have taken their toll.
Try setting your refresh rate to either 60 or 30 hz.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:34

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:23
Gavrushka wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:

I did that too. - It's the 1st thing I do with all games, but it doesn't work with some. - I bought a load of FPS games in sales a couple of months back, and I *think* it was only Crysis I could play. - It makes no sense...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:42

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:34
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:23
Gavrushka wrote:

I did that too. - It's the 1st thing I do with all games, but it doesn't work with some. - I bought a load of FPS games in sales a couple of months back, and I *think* it was only Crysis I could play. - It makes no sense...
To be clear, i don't mean capping your frame rate, i mean capping your monitor's refresh rate to a lower value.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 09:18

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:42

To be clear, i don't mean capping your frame rate, i mean capping your monitor's refresh rate to a lower value.
Ah, I thought you meant enabling vSync. - My monitor has a refresh of 60 anyhow, but I'll work out how to reduce that.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Mon, 21. Dec 20, 12:57

I've heard (and read) good thigs about Rockstar's RDR2, and am quite tempted to add it to my collection. But I've got lots of GTA games (also from Rockstar of course) that I've never really got into at all.

I don't know if the lack of financial commitment to the free GTA games is part of the issue, but I'm worried that it may be that Rockstar games and me are just not really made for each other.

So... I'm sure some of you have played both, and can give me a bit of an idea about how similar/different these games are.

Thanks in advance.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 15. Jan 21, 21:05

I endorse Satisfactory - more relaxing (not much of combat) and 3D version of Factorio.

Funny thing is I laugh of "ecologist movement", yet Satisfactory was first game where I felt bad after using my chainsaw to literally de-foliage entire valley (you need to use biomass to power your low tier factory)...

...now I'm much better having huge ass coal power plant.

Later on you have oil plants and Nuclear plants, that produce non-recyclable nuclear waste.

...Damn...guess I'll start to design Chernobyl style sarcophage/vault.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 15. Jan 21, 21:52

@ mr.WHO: I've been watching the progress of games like Satisfactory and Evospace as I like building type sandbox games, and I'm glad that you said 'relaxing' about Satisfactory as I really don't like artificially imposed time or enemy progression pressures in those sorts of games. Thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 16. Jan 21, 00:38

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 15. Jan 21, 21:52
@ mr.WHO: I've been watching the progress of games like Satisfactory and Evospace as I like building type sandbox games, and I'm glad that you said 'relaxing' about Satisfactory as I really don't like artificially imposed time or enemy progression pressures in those sorts of games. Thanks.
The only pressure so far is that in low tiers you have to bother with going from buring leafs from bushes to generate electricity to buring biomass from most of biological things until you unlock coal plant - the issue with biomass is that you have to manually refuel it from time to time (and burning leafs even more oftne) - coal plan is the first electric plan that you can fully automatize - after that the game is full chill relax of making big ass cartoon style factories.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 18. Jan 21, 21:20

Everspace 2 is now out in early access. downloading it, but from the reviews, and what I seen so far, looks good. As they dropped the rougelike element from the game. So its more of a freelancer style, Will report my findings once I played it a bit.
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 18. Jan 21, 22:36

matthewfarmery wrote:
Mon, 18. Jan 21, 21:20
Everspace 2 is now out in early access. downloading it, but from the reviews, and what I seen so far, looks good. As they dropped the rougelike element from the game. So its more of a freelancer style, Will report my findings once I played it a bit.
Ever since I discovered Egosoft games, I can't go back to Freelancer style games - they are totally boring an identical. You're locked within small class of ships, usually cannot own big things like station and capships and you're locked in average plot + generic missions (that usually are no better than X-series generic missions).

I think the only exception to above fromula is Starpoint Gemini Warlords, but somehow I couldn't got past the grind and got bored after several hours.

Edit: Freelancer was good, because it was first, had somewhat good storyline and was sharing universe with Starlancer that was a nice Space Sim.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 00:51

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 18. Jan 21, 22:36
Ever since I discovered Egosoft games, I can't go back to Freelancer style games - they are totally boring an identical. You're locked within small class of ships, usually cannot own big things like station and capships and you're locked in average plot + generic missions (that usually are no better than X-series generic missions).

I think the only exception to above fromula is Starpoint Gemini Warlords, but somehow I couldn't got past the grind and got bored after several hours.
It's more like the genre suffer from an obsession with "open world". Freelancer (and Independent War 2) were good because they were first and unique, but a space game with limited fly model with an open world often time just feel a game with a bunch of random encounters. I wish there are more games that go back to the mission base like Freespace 2 or Tachyon: The Fringe. The X series has always been more of a empire building or space tycoon for me, I rarely play it for the combat. I wouldn't be surprised if statistically less than 25% of my playing time is in active combat across all X games.

It's kinda depressing that Freespace 2 was released over 2 decades ago, and I can't still recall I ever fought a space battle that are more epic than some of the missions in Freepsace 2 (or even in some of its total conversion mods), and I played pretty much all of the space games in between then and now. :shock:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 07:59

I must admit, a huge grin manifest when I started watching the Everspace 2 video. It grew a little strained halfway through, and then disappeared entirely by the end of the second video. It sure looks pretty and vibrant, but utterly lacking in gaming diversity. - My space game fix has been courtesy of the X games and Sword of the Stars for the last two decades, even a few happy hours spent in SE V and less happy times in Galactic Civ II. Sins of a Solar Empire, I just couldn't get away with.

But Everspace 2 isn't a 4X is it? It's an arcade game with roleplaying elements, yes? It's power ups, ship upgrades and ever greater explosions?

1st person combat feels like a pleasant distraction in X4, but I see it as a fluffy option rather than anything central. - I could imagine playing Everspace 2 for an hour or two on occasion, but no more. - It reminds me of the old 3d wire games I use to play at the arcades back in the 80s, but I never pined when the last of my ten pence pieces were gobbled up.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 11:05

It's a shame that Interplay died an unceremonious death so many years ago. Freespace and Freespace 2 were fan freaking tastic, along with Descent (which is where I got my handle from =p), and I haven't really seen any space combat games like them since. Along those lines, LucasArts release of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series of games were awesome as well. I know there's mods that exist for all of those to "modernize" them, and they're amazing mods, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is, there just hasn't been anything in the space combat genre that quite measures up to the skirmish type of games that those were in a long time, at least that I'm aware of. X, Elite Dangerous, and others, I enjoy them, but there's times I just wanna pew pew and there's a bit much going on with those games to really sit down and enjoy the action.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 11:59

In the last days I did some hour-long races at Assetto Corsa Competizione. I have to say they've been even harder than expected, keeping the concentration for that long has been trying, especially in a very technical track like Laguna Seca (I needed a shower after the race...). The other races have been in Monza and Spa, tracks I know a lot better then the american one, so they went better from the sweating point of view...
Despite my mediocrity and my really hard times with consistency, I had a blast.

@Vertigo: my brother is playing Squadrons and it looks very good from the skirmish point of view you're talking about.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 12:38

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 19. Jan 21, 11:05
Freespace and Freespace 2 were fan freaking tastic
DIVE DIVE DIVE! Hit your burners, pilot! :D

Return to “Off Topic English”