Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Re: Playing other games

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 20:54
So if you create a dwaft with the creator, you can maintain a dwaft lineage through generations?
Yes, but dwarf gene decreases chances to appear through generations. This means if your child isn't a dwarf and his child isn't a dwarf, the gene gets lost (and has the standard smallish chance to appear in the following generations).
Breeding

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:25

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50
Mightysword wrote:
So if you create a dwaft with the creator, you can maintain a dwaft lineage through generations?
Yes, but dwarf gene decreases chances to appear through generations. This means if your child isn't a dwarf and his child isn't a dwarf, the gene gets lost (and has the standard smallish chance to appear in the following generations).
Breeding
Sorry for the confusion but I just realize we're not talking about the same thing lol. When you said "dwarf", I thought you meant you created a dwarf looking, and not the dwarf trait. To clarify: there is the gene (that long string you can copy from the designer), and there are traits (beauty, genius, amazonian, dwarf, giant, albedo ...etc...). It's not the trait I'm concern about.

My question is about the gene that passed down, so if I create a character with a unique gene, would it be possible to maintain that gene through generation without it turning into a generic template?
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:38

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:25
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:50
Mightysword wrote:
Breeding
Sorry for the confusion but I just realize we're not talking about the same thing lol. When you said "dwarf", I thought you meant you created a dwarf looking, and not the dwarf trait. To clarify: there is the gene (that long string you can copy from the designer), and there are traits (beauty, genius, amazonian, dwarf, giant, albedo ...etc...). It's not the trait I'm concern about.

My question is about the gene that passed down, so if I create a character with a unique gene, would it be possible to maintain that gene through generation without it turning into a generic template?
Oh, ok sorry!
It should work as the traits work, so it's not granted you're maintaining it through generations.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 20:41

New Mass Effect trailer was released. The game is in early development.

https://youtu.be/Lg-Ctg6k_Ao

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 23:45

burger1 wrote:
Tue, 15. Dec 20, 20:41

I wonder if it's Liara at the end (her face looks really similar). If that's the case it means we're back to the original storyline, don't mind they abandon the Andromada story line after that disasterclass.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 08:49

burger1 wrote:

I have hope. I loved Mass Effect, it was a masterpiece.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 08:56

I've been having a go at Pillars of Eternity after it became free on Epic.

I like RPGs but this one seems a little punishing. It's got to the point where every encounter I seem to get slaughtered.
I like the the stronghold though. Now if I could just find a way to defend the thing.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 10:39

Mightysword wrote:
Tue, 15. Dec 20, 23:45
burger1 wrote:

I wonder if it's Liara at the end (her face looks really similar). If that's the case it means we're back to the original storyline, don't mind they abandon the Andromada story line after that disasterclass.
I absolutely adored the 1st Mass Effect, never completed the second and never tried the other(s)? - The trailer doesn't give too much away other than it does seem to suggest a return to its roots. If that's the case, I'm definitely in.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 19:59

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 16. Dec 20, 10:39
I absolutely adored the 1st Mass Effect, never completed the second and never tried the other(s)? - The trailer doesn't give too much away other than it does seem to suggest a return to its roots. If that's the case, I'm definitely in.
IMO the original triology improved a lot at each iteration in term of gameplay, quality over quantity. Sadly Mass Effect 3's ending was also a disaster-class, a typical case of the writers trying too hard and narrative trying to be bigger than what it is. My guess the 4th game had to take place in another galaxy because the original effectively blocked itself from continuing in the milky way.

If they're coming back to it, some kind of recton to the third game ending may be necessary - and that would be a cheap price to pay.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 21:01

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 16. Dec 20, 19:59
IMO the original triology improved a lot at each iteration in term of gameplay, quality over quantity. Sadly Mass Effect 3's ending was also a disaster-class, a typical case of the writers trying too hard and narrative trying to be bigger than what it is.
I've said it before, possibly even in this thread, but the seeds of the plot disaster that was ME3's ending were sown when they decided to have you spend the whole of ME2 fighting an irrelevant secondary threat and doing approximately three fifths of naff all about the real problem, the Reapers. They had to cram what should have been two games' worth of plot into a single game thanks to that, not surprising the wheels came off.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 21:54

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 16. Dec 20, 21:01
I've said it before, possibly even in this thread, but the seeds of the plot disaster that was ME3's ending were sown when they decided to have you spend the whole of ME2 fighting an irrelevant secondary threat and doing approximately three fifths of naff all about the real problem, the Reapers.
Yes, we had that discussion here. :)

I believe ME2 is a fine game, at the very least if one to judge it on its own. To re-iterate my point, I think there is enough world building and lore-dump in ME2 for it to be relevant. I don't think it's fair to judge ME2 because of what happens in ME3.
They had to cram what should have been two games' worth of plot into a single game thanks to that, not surprising the wheels came off.
On this point I agree:
Spoiler
Show
The first mission where you discover the plan for the crucible on Mar is just way too convenience. You mean the secret super weapon we need to defeat the Reaper has been under our nose all along? The building of the Crucible was totally off-screen saved for a few text update. You spent a large amount of time to shore up citadel defense and it has nothing to show for it
But those are the problem of the 3rd game and I think should not be attributed to the 2nd. If they don't have enough space, then Bioware should have split the third game into 2 games, I think most fan would be more than happy to pay for a 4th Shepard game over that thing called Andromeda. In fact, both of us are recent beneficiaries of such an example just like that: Trail of Cold Steel 4. That series was originally planned for 3 games, but during the development of the third the writers realize the story kinda blew up and they need another game to close it off properly. That's why the 4th game feels very similar to the third, and it was able to afford a grand stage for the ending with a full all stars line up.
Last edited by Mightysword on Wed, 16. Dec 20, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 22:34

To me ME2 was the best one - sweet spot between action and light RPG, storyline was fun (secret agent under Cerberus investigating the Collectors), Normandy build up and interactions were perfect, side characters were interesting and had their storylines and loyalty missions and YOUR CHOICES MATTER IN FINAL MISSION...more than just ending background color.

ME1 was too clunky old school (albeit I missed Mako rover in ME2) and ME3 was nothing more than on rail shooter masked as action RPG - gathering the focess to fight Reapers was unimportant card-collection - they didn't even bothered to simply add an ending where you gather enough forces to kick Reaper ass in straight out fight.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 18:45

So i decided to give Prison Architect a try, currently free on GOG. First problem, couldn't get the thing to run but unlike Epic, GOG has a forum and it turns out a few are having the exact same problem but due to GOG having a forum, it's possible to find a solution. Turns out it is to do with the game needing microsoft redistributable 2013 x64 and the game itself not installing it, I have linked it if you have the problem of the game not starting. I have to say the game itself does not seem to have any kind of meaningful tutorial, you are thrown in at the deep end right at the start, without a clue on what you are meant to be doing or more importantly how you actually do it. I ended up quitting the game after a few minutes of scratching my head, I will need to go and look up some help video on Youtube, which you should never have to do.

Also throw in. The second mass effect was the best while that buggy in the first was originally a fun feature, on my second play through of the game I found it just to be a pain in the backside and was glad it was missed out on the second game. Also the scanning of planets was a pain in the rear, where if it had been missed out of the game, I would never have missed it. Also remember the last mess effect, less said about that one the better.
Last edited by felter on Thu, 17. Dec 20, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 18:47

felter wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 18:45
Also remember the last mess effect, less said about that one the better.
I don't know if that is a typo or intended, but I got a chuckle out of it. :D

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 18:51

Intended. :)
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 22:39

I didn't like ME2 at the time, though it has grown on me somewhat. 95% of the game felt like it was act one, then it skipped right to the end.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 01:02

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. ME2 has the best character developments for me among Bioware games (even more so than their classic BGII or the newer Dragon Age). I didn't really much care for most of them in ME1, but ME2 makes me want to BFF all of them. ME3 is great in that department too, but I think a lot of it owned to the foundation set in ME2.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:40

Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that? I'm fine with the more modern ones, but almost all those early ones lead me down the path of whiplash from projectile vomiting.

It's a shame because I loved the flippant feel of the game. :(

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 07:07

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:40
Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that?
It might be the field of view, is there an option to change that in the game settings?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 08:15

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 20. Dec 20, 07:07
Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 19. Dec 20, 23:40
Just bought Postal 2 (never played it previously...) Motion sickness hit within a minute, no matter how wide the field of view. - What is it about the earlier first person games that does that?
It might be the field of view, is there an option to change that in the game settings?
Yeah, I gave that a shot, setting it all the way up to widest (Postal 2 is very flexible with that) but it still had my stomach visiting my mouth. - I don't understand the science behind how older games do this, but not far newer ones. I never had issues when first playing games like Doom and Wolfenstein, but I guess age and decay have taken their toll.

Return to “Off Topic English”