Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: Playing other games

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 13:37

Played Oblivion for a bit (180hrs) and enjoyed it. Switched to Skyrim and be surprised how big it is. Had a test playthrough and now started again should keep me quiet until Christmas!
A flower?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:25

I just cleared Subnautica.

I know it's already been lauded in this very thread, and I gotta say 's deserves every praises it got.
Now I'm waiting for a steam sale to get Subnautica : Below Zero. :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:37

Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:25
I finished Subnautica last year during lockdowns, but aparently Below Zero doesn't provide much of new things comparing to Subnautica and even cut on some (like no Cyclops sub).
I'm waiting for very big sale, if I want to consider buying it.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 17:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:37
Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 16:25
I finished Subnautica last year during lockdowns, but aparently Below Zero doesn't provide much of new things comparing to Subnautica and even cut on some (like no Cyclops sub).
I'm waiting for very big sale, if I want to consider buying it.
I'm not married to the cyclops. It's fun, sure, but I found it detracted from the fun of making more bases. I'm currently trying a cyclops-less run, if it's possible.

As for Sub-zero, a new map to explore will be enough for me. :)

They seem to have a medium-size modular vehicle to replace the cyclops, where you can just ditch the rear modules (to get something like the seamoth), and reattach them later when you need them.
I'll see when I get the game. I'll post something about it here.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 17:36

Below Zero is definitely not as good a game as the original. The Seatruck is neither as fun to drive as the Seamoth nor as practical as the Cyclops. The map is considerably smaller than the original game, so in order to artifically extend its length they've made all the cave systems into crazy mazes rather than the large, beautiful ones from the original game--you can be spending hours trying to find the cave containing the HUD marker you're looking for. There's also quite a bit more that happens above the surface, none of which is really fun or interesting--they even provide an entirely new vehicle for surface use (the Snowfox), but I found it far more practical to just use a prawn suit. It's also considerably shorter--original game took me around 45 hours to complete, and that was with a bit of judicious cheating to help find some more obscure bits and pieces, whereas Below Zero took around 25.

Having said all that, it's still a fun time and if it was the only Subnautica game you ever played I'm sure most would find it fun, it just suffers in comparison to the vastly superior original.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 05:52

Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 17:05

I'm not married to the cyclops. It's fun, sure, but I found it detracted from the fun of making more bases. I'm currently trying a cyclops-less run, if it's possible.
It can easily be done with just the P.R.A.W.N. suit, though some (crazy) people even skip that and build a number of mini-bases along hard to reach areas and hop along between them.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 16:16

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 05:52
Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 17:05

[...] though some (crazy) people even skip that and build a number of mini-bases along hard to reach areas and hop along between them.
Yup, that's my plan! :D

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 21:07

For anyone looking for a crossover between the X-Series and Space Engineers, why not give Avorion a try! It has combat, ship building, station building, fleet building and commanding and other stuff.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 21:32

... and it has just today had the major 2.0 update release as in that trailer.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ch_R0me
x4

Post by Ch_R0me » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 21:47

clakclak wrote:
Tue, 7. Sep 21, 21:07
For anyone looking for a crossover between the X-Series and Space Engineers, why not give Avorion a try! It has combat, ship building, station building, fleet building and commanding and other stuff.
I have Avorion, but... I'm not so inclined with playing non-fixed blocks in that game.

From other games: I just cleared Ace Combat 6 on X360, and TitanFall 2 with Nintendo Switch Pro controller on PC.

Then, I hope to play some space sim later. :D

Code: Select all

“Space is for everybody. It’s not just for a few people in science or math, or for a select group of astronauts.
That’s our new frontier out there, and it’s everybody’s business to know about space.”

– Christa McAuliffe.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 17:58

GOG have just released Star Trek Bridge Commander, Elite Force 1 & 2, Away Team, Hidden Evil and Starfleet Command III, with Armada 1 & 2 coming 'soon'.

KarlSten
xr

Post by KarlSten » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 13:38

Started playing Genesis Alpha One recently. It's primarily a sci-fi roguelike FPS with resource management. The concept is interesting as the game clearly tries to create an atmosphere as in the movie Alien with aliens - no xenomorph - infesting your ship and retro technology. Sadly your crew isn't really very helpful when searching for infestations even when it is clearly visible. They only attack alien lifeforms but no nests or similar things. Also finding infestations is a bit tedious because there is no ship internal scanner so you have to search the whole ship yourself every time. Also assigning crew members to workstations is only possible from the respective work area. The same goes for orders like building, mining, hyperjumping, researching etc.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 31. Oct 21, 22:18

Stalker Anomaly is a free Stalker game. Been playing it for about a week so far. Theres a steep learning curve initially. Has crafting. Theres new stories. Its a bit lonely in the zone but can have a group of followers. More like the original Shadow of Chernobyl vs the later games. Still need to limit characters stuff to prevent becoming too powerful and making the game too easy. Lots of options like faction wars on/off, etc.... Theres some metro 2033 series stuff in the game also.

Some swearing in video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YmEIGGj_GU

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 19:32

I just cleared "Praey for the Gods".
If you ever were into Shadow of the colossus, or like me wanted to try it but didn't care for console exclusive games, then you should give this a try!

It's bunch of SotC bosses mixed in with some exploration and survival in a cold winter. You can probably clear the game in 5-6 hours, but if you take time to explore and try to figure out the lore, I guess you could easily spend in a few dozen hours.

While it's clearly not the best game ever, I found it pretty damn good considering it comes from of only 3 developers.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 09:46

Playing Myth of Empires at the moment, strange how you can slaughter a village and use the coinage gained to pay for a blessing, quite catholic. Just popped in to see how Gavrushka and pknibbs are doing. Best wishes for the New Year guys ... Best wishes.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 12:41

Nexus - the Jupiter Incident is an ancient game, these days almost forgotten, but it was one of the best RTT games I played.

It received a update in 2016 from THQ Nordic, making it playable in HD resolutions and Windows 10, so since it costs almost nothing on Steam and my CD has disappeared 10 years ago, I bought it again due to a pang of nostalgia.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6420 ... _Incident/
Also available at GOG.

The game itself is playing relatively well and is still a good game but now playing it after 18 years, I see that game design is somewhat lacking - it is not a true free tactical simulator game but rather solve a puzzle type of game where in many missions you need to do certain things in a exact right time to complete mission. These days I find it bit lazy game design in a tactical "simulator" (and yes, I know that it is sometimes done intentionally this way).
Still, interesting to replay a game and re-evaluate it after being more older and jaded. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Sci-fiction RTT is relatively dead genre these days.

-----------------

Another game I play and recommend (if you like old style business management games like Capitalism), is Gearcity.

This is old school and too complex for most people so it will never become very popular. Basic concept is that you start in year of your choosing (from 1900) with your own car company. The game simulates up to 300 AI competitors. Your task is to create cars (no, you can't drive them) and sell those to the public. This design part, while not so complex as in Automation, is fairly complex process where both engines, chassis and gearboxes need to be researched. Of course, you can just license cars from you competitors and sell them as your own brand (or create another brand which you still own).

The game simulates fuel availability, political and economic crises like wars and great depression, transport cost changes throughout the century so it can be fairly difficult game even on easy difficulty. Don't buy stocks just before great depression....

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 13:39

Warenwolf wrote:
Sun, 16. Jan 22, 12:41
Nexus - the Jupiter Incident is an ancient game, these days almost forgotten, but it was one of the best RTT games I played.
You might want to check this game, coming out next month into Early Access:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8875 ... t_Command/

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 19:53

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 13:39
Warenwolf wrote:
Sun, 16. Jan 22, 12:41
You might want to check this game, coming out next month into Early Access:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8875 ... t_Command/
Thanks for the tip :thumb_up:

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 19:57

My son pointed out a Castle-on-Steroids game (for the insane amount of £2) called Vampire Survivors. It's not an eye-candy but utterly addictive ;-) So far I had 40+ hrs of quality entertainment.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 02:10

Have you wondered just how bad facebooks VR Metaverse actually is, then look no further. They've paid $15 Billion for that so far, must be nice to have money.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”