Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: Trump

Post by fiksal » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 18:59

Tahtohnkah wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 00:50
Hi! (new to the game) I was perusing the titles on the forum list and found this thread
Hey, welcome!

I am not sure our discussions in this thread had been particularly clean. But I think most of us are doing our best.

Tahtohnkah wrote:
Firstly, I was raised in Alabama. My first day of school there were riot police in helmets with shields at the building entrance - yes; integration. Being from there I know several fourth-generation Klan members. And, believe me, they are proud members indeed. I've listened to bigotry spoken as common sense most of my life from people who don't seem to give a tinker's damn about "other people's" morality. AND, I've come to understand what is meant by liberal is "anyone who doesn't agree with me." There's no need to cut these people any slack. They don't want it. They aren't embarrassed in the least by their vision of "society."
That! is a hell of an experience.

I am really interested in so to speak first hand experience of that history. For me that's a text book history, as my beginning of being an American came quite a bit after all that.
Care to run a separate Topic with this?

Tahtohnkah wrote:
So...they've always been with us. Will they always be with us? Is there a way for a modern, sophisticated society to use the assets and strengths of that modernity to winnow away, or ween out such primitive and brutish sensibilities? While we're at it, won't sexism (on both sides) and the backward notion that rich people are successful (the myth that gave us President Don) and therefore better, be included in this...attempt to further evolve ourselves? Or, am I right in assuming when I hear people say we've evolved as far as we can...they actually MEAN it?

ALL that aside. Let me congratulate you on your civilized and unusually well-informed discussion that has run the life of this debacle. After all, communication with one another is all we really have to work with. No?
Maybe that's as far as "they" want to be, but the progress is inevitable, because change is inevitable whether anyone likes it or not. As profitable as it might be to exploit people and put them down into lower class citizens, history shows, that at some point heads roll of guillotines. And if not that dramatic, then it's simply not an efficient system. A more efficient system where everyone is given maximum freedom and opportunity. That is at least my, maybe optimistic, observation.

Communication and information is a big one indeed. So is early education.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 20:47

Tahtohnkah wrote:
Hi! (new to the game) I was perusing the titles on the forum list and found this thread, and I must say I'm quite impressed; from the first post to the last. I'd like to kick-in at the end (which might be a beginning) to offer some tips, as it were. Firstly, I was raised in Alabama. My first day of school there were riot police in helmets with shields at the building entrance - yes; integration. Being from there I know several fourth-generation Klan members. And, believe me, they are proud members indeed. I've listened to bigotry spoken as common sense most of my life from people who don't seem to give a tinker's damn about "other people's" morality. AND, I've come to understand what is meant by liberal is "anyone who doesn't agree with me." There's no need to cut these people any slack. They don't want it. They aren't embarrassed in the least by their vision of "society."
Well, to be honest, whilst most of us have tried to stay polite and constructive, we haven't always managed that, myself included. Thanks go to the mods for keeping us on the relatively straight and narrow.

Anyway, I'm a Brit, but I have just come off the back of reading a biography of Frederick Douglass, a history of the Civil War, and a biography of Grant. To borrow an overly used phrase, history doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes (and echoes). One of the things I find most distressing about the last four years was how much of what we saw we previously saw during the Democrat (as was) / South attempts to overturn and dismantle the never completed work of "Reconstruction".

Outright racism; hyperbole and deliberate lies in the press; active and deliberate voter suppression; gerrymandering; the conflux of race, money, power and "white" religion; the prevalence of Klanners (then) and "militias" (now); utter corruption in government (cronyism, patronage, contract awards, title or position); culture wars (ie shorthand for "I feel my culture, which I believe to be the culture of this nation, to be threatened"); the use of law enforcement to keep the black population down.

The list goes on. It's an outrage, and a tragedy :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:15

I say we go Starship Troopers and pick and choose who are allowed to breed and weed out these family lines that profess to white superiority. It should be fairly easy to spot them, they'll be the family trees with just a few, if any, branches.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:39

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:15
I say we go Starship Troopers and pick and choose who are allowed to breed and weed out these family lines that profess to white superiority. It should be fairly easy to spot them, they'll be the family trees with just a few, if any, branches.
That sounds very fascist, I’ve read Starship troopers, I don’t think it was promoting that.

Well...that means because of my cousin I ain’t having kids.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:48

Teladi CEO wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:39
Vertigo 7 wrote:
That sounds very fascist, I’ve read Starship troopers, I don’t think it was promoting that.

lol they did. Only citizens could have kids and citizenship wasn't a guarantee. Probably is a bit on the fascist side but we're talking about Nazis, so... should we care if they don't like it?
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:51

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:48
Teladi CEO wrote:
Mon, 8. Mar 21, 21:39
Vertigo 7 wrote:

lol they did. Only citizens could have kids and citizenship wasn't a guarantee. Probably is a bit on the fascist side but we're talking about Nazis, so... should we care if they don't like it?
Haha, no I suppose we shouldn’t.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 02:18

So Trump doesn't have social media accounts, anymore. But he apparently can do a press release just as he would a tweet.

I'm not gonna quote it because of the racism exhibited in it, but he essentially wants credit for the COVID vaccine and said if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be getting it.

Funny, and there I was thinking if it wasn't for him, we probably wouldn't desperately need it.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:32

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 02:18
So Trump doesn't have social media accounts, anymore. But he apparently can do a press release just as he would a tweet.

I'm not gonna quote it because of the racism exhibited in it, but he essentially wants credit for the COVID vaccine and said if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be getting it.

Funny, and there I was thinking if it wasn't for him, we probably wouldn't desperately need it.
Looking at the covid situation around the world today, I'm not sure someone could have avoided what Trump clearly didn't avoid.
I blamed him in the past but, in hindsight, it's probably something he couldn't really control. His communication has been very bad, though.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:42

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:32
Vertigo 7 wrote:

Looking at the covid situation around the world today, I'm not sure someone could have avoided what Trump clearly didn't avoid.
I blamed him in the past but, in hindsight, it's probably something he couldn't really control. His communication has been very bad, though.

Can't avoid covid. But they had a pandemic playbook they didn't follow. They spread lies and misinformation. They insisted on snake oil medicine and didn't give up on that until almost a year later. They intentionally made things worse and its cost was more lives lost. It's still costing that. They didn't help neither people nor businesses struggling through this time.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:44

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:32
Vertigo 7 wrote:

Even if he couldn't avoid it, he did downplay it, and choice to really ignore it. And as the Bidan administration find out when they came to power, there was no roadmap to distribute the vaccine. And more besides, but that is for another thread. The point being, its not just his communication that was bad, but his total lack of wanting to deal with it. because it put him in an alien situation he probably never been in. Yet he still wanted all the perks of the job, even though he didn't really do much in the job. I say, if he did take responsibility earlier, didn't downplay things, he might have got a second term.

So he really has a lot to answer for. at least in that regard. And lets not forget, he also totally disregarded what scientists were telling him. And kept on thinking he knew more then anyone about things. So anyway, He coul;d have done more. So that letter he did,, was a total and utter joke.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 14:17

Yeah, and that's my line of thinking as well. If he hadn't tried to politicize it and turn saving American lives into an optional thing for republicans, then we would be in a much much better position. With more than half a million dead, exceeding our annual death average by any measure by a metric **** load, we could have fought this head on from the get go.
rebellionpac.com

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:20

And in the ultimate stroke of irony, I'm going through renewing my drivers license online (so shocked I can even do this) and in the voter registration portion, I can electronically sign that - signature matching!!!

and and and, this has me in tears:
I solemnly swear or affirm to support and defend the constitution of the United States and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the United States or the State of Alabama by unlawful means and that the information contained herein is true, so help me God.
So that means that the majority of the voters in Alabama are ineligible to vote since they're republican.
rebellionpac.com

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:27

You have to swear allegiance for getting a drivers licence? :o

The "so help me God" I have to print out for fiksal and his separation of church and state claim. **click**

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:30

They print "in god we trust" on all of our money.

And no, that was voter registration. Voter registration is usually tied to ID renewals since they're closely related but they are not the same thing.

Church and state are separate but not as much as they should be. The church has a lot of influence over our politics but we don't tax them. So...
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 16:13

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:30
Church and state are separate but not as much as they should be. The church has a lot of influence over our politics but we don't tax them. So...
I know this feeling pretty well...

Anyway, is that kind of oath the same for anyone? Is it the same if you're muslim?
Crossover Episode mods love so much
Show
Imagine what a Swiss would think about it...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 16:15

In most cases where you have to vocalize an oath, you're allowed to swear to whatever you want. This was on a form without choices.
rebellionpac.com

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 17:45

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:20

So that means that the majority of the voters in Alabama are ineligible to vote since they're republican.
You found the voter fraud that Republicans were on about!

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:27
You have to swear allegiance for getting a drivers licence? :o

The "so help me God" I have to print out for fiksal and his separation of church and state claim. **click**

MFG

Ketraar
It burns my eyes.

All these swearing to a god or on Bible are meaningless, but they do exist. There's no law that exists to enforce this or to prosecute this, and more so, it'd be Unconstitutional if such law were to be created.

Still, it's on the money, it's in court rooms, it's whenever you swear an oath.

It burns.

But as Vertigo said, you can change Bible and "God" to something else, like a physics book. People do it. I imaging it's harder to do when it's a form online.

Difference with the Swiss, is that they have laws regarding religion that would be otherwise Unconstitutional in US.

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 16:13
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:30
I know this feeling pretty well...

Anyway, is that kind of oath the same for anyone? Is it the same if you're muslim?
Crossover Episode mods love so much
Show
Imagine what a Swiss would think about it...
Muslims often change Bible to Koran. I don't know what they do about the word "God".
Crossover Episode
Show
Would be illegal I image :)
Last edited by fiksal on Fri, 12. Mar 21, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 18:03

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 17:45
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 15:20

You found the voter fraud that Republicans were on about!
Right! I'm about to email both of the Alabama senators and my district rep and let them know I found millions of fraudulent votes. I'm sure they're gonna jump all over invalidating those votes and swear in all of the democrats that legitimately won as a result.
rebellionpac.com

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 18:29

btw, I found this RE Alabama's voter oath:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/10/freedom ... -oath.html

It would appear that Alabama is the only state requiring such an oath and is indeed in direct violation of the US Constitution's 1st and 14th amendments.
rebellionpac.com

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 19:52

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 18:29
btw, I found this RE Alabama's voter oath:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/10/freedom ... -oath.html

It would appear that Alabama is the only state requiring such an oath and is indeed in direct violation of the US Constitution's 1st and 14th amendments.
Good!

Return to “Off Topic English”