Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Trump

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 07:18

What on earth is going on here?

How is it that Trump, a pathalogical lier who is clearly channeling Hitler can be allowed to be the front runner for the Republicans?

He's getting his followers to do Nazi salutes, encouraging violence at political rallies of his opponants (while denying he is responsible for violence at his own), and claiming he will force Muslims to be on a register. Then there's the wall thing, which is now looking like a moderate aspect of his campaign...

So, what? How is this guy even in the running for leading the Republicans? Why hasn't he been kicked out to be an independant?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 09:26

Because, unfortunately, many in the US electorate are extremely angry with the Democrats, traditional Republicans, and politicians in general.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 09:35

so they want to re-create Pre-WW2 Germany?

I suspect that this isn't what they want exactly, to vote in a dictator (and that is what he would be) but neither did Germany I beleive.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 09:44

Well, IF he gets the nomination (which seems likely) then I think there are two possible explanations:

1) USA sleepwalking into extreme insularity/protectionism/insanity.

2) A cunning Democrat plot to ensure Hillary finally gets her chance.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 10:06

To start with you are repeating the same mistakes the media are and forgetting rule 1 with Trolls, you don't feed em. He does not make his supporter do Nazi salutes and that is classic media manipulation for the mass's. They do a made up oath of allegiance but framing everything this guy does in a serious light is exactly the problem. He is not a supporter of Hitler and he is not the problem, the electorate are.

Trump supports one thing, Trump. He will do and say anything that people want to hear and since the majority of the GOP are white, right wing, xenophobic, closet racists, that's what you get. You don't seriously think he gives a stuff about what he says, he has no actual belief system beyond himself. He is at the center of a perfect storm which has lead him to where he is now.

PS the electorate are not pissed off with the Dems, the majority (who will vote the dems back in again) are very happy with Obama. You are talking about Republicans, who are angry at everyone because they lost to a Black guy and because the USA is a deeply racist and paranoid country :)
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 10:29

I don't think Trump thinks he is, or is trying to emulate Hitler.

Thing is, he is, as you say, an egotist flying high on discontent of the masses. If he gets power he'll do *anything* he can to keep it (tiger by the tail and all that). He may get there by default.

The establishment won't like him, will try to block everything he does, so it'll be his browncoats that get him what he wants, and what they want (probably more the latter).

When reason fails, violence often follows.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 10:32

What's this Nazi salute business? Not heard anything about it. Any links as it sounds like cobblers.

Shouldn't need to exaggerate or fabricate. Just need to de-construct his garbage with evidence and facts.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:37

well he didn't call it that, but linky

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Trump

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:44

mrbadger wrote:What on earth is going on here?

How is it that Trump, a pathalogical lier who is clearly channeling Hitler can be allowed to be the front runner for the Republicans?

He's getting his followers to do Nazi salutes, encouraging violence at political rallies of his opponants (while denying he is responsible for violence at his own), and claiming he will force Muslims to be on a register. Then there's the wall thing, which is now looking like a moderate aspect of his campaign...

So, what? How is this guy even in the running for leading the Republicans? Why hasn't he been kicked out to be an independant?
Never underestimate the capacity of human beings to be stoopid.

I agree that it's ridiculous. Trump seems like the moral equivalent of The Antichrist... Nothing but demonstrable ignorance seems to come out of his mouth, but people are lapping it up and praising it as wisdom.

If he gets elected as President, I am very seriously considering moving to Canada. I like Canadians and it's pretty, up there. Plus, I don't have to learn another language, depending upon where I settled.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:45

Cruz is worse.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:48

mrbadger wrote:well he didn't call it that, but linky
I really don't think that's "getting supporters to do Nazi salutes".

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:50

berth wrote:
It's really not. There's a lot of overreaction in this thread and in general.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 13:58

Antilogic wrote:
berth wrote:
Chips saved me having to reply to original claim
Chips wrote:..
Shouldn't need to exaggerate or fabricate. Just need to de-construct his garbage with evidence and facts.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:02

Morkonan wrote:If he gets elected as President, I am very seriously considering moving to Canada.
Are you aware of the Bricking It for Canada campaign? ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:04

Antilogic wrote:
berth wrote:
While I might agree, in theory, I have to say that I think the reason Trump called for this is pretty clear.

Not long ago, Trump boasted that he could "...stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters..” 1.

I think he asked the crowd to "swear" a vow to vote for him for two reasons. The first is to send a message to the Republican party that he truly controls his entire fanbase and they're not going to switch boats in midstream, so-to-speak. The second reason is simple - He did it for the lulz, just to see how far he could actually push his... "cult of personality" into emulating the fans of another, well-known, leader. In my opinion, that fits well within his general personality - His ego needed feeding, that day.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:06

I see that even people here are taking in everything that the media shovels in its panic.

If someone really wants to understand the Trump effect then start with this:

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/tr ... itarianism

Very slanted in favor of the politically correct crowd and even fails to mention the key argument of Trump:

Economy and Jobs, which are the leading arguments in his speeches.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ns-support

Closing:

There are going to be MANY more Trumps; each one becoming more radicalized the more the big wigs throw the people to the garbage bin of stagnation and recession in order for the corporations and the elite to get more quarterly profits.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:08

CBJ wrote:
Morkonan wrote:If he gets elected as President, I am very seriously considering moving to Canada.
Are you aware of the Bricking It for Canada campaign? ;)
That's friggin hilarious! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfUSxPUXKA

http://brickingitforcanada.com/

I clicked... Does that make me a bad citizen? Or.. does it make me a conscientious World Citizen who cares about my soon-to-be Canadian brethren? :D

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:23

Morkonan wrote: While I might agree, in theory, I have to say that I think the reason Trump called for this is pretty clear.

I think he asked the crowd to "swear" a vow to vote for him for two reasons. The first is to send a message to the Republican party that he truly controls his entire fanbase and they're not going to switch boats in midstream, so-to-speak. The second reason is simple - He did it for the lulz, just to see how far he could actually push his... "cult of personality" into emulating the fans of another, well-known, leader. In my opinion, that fits well within his general personality - His ego needed feeding, that day.
You think it's pretty clear in order to fit with what you want others to think. I don't like Trump at all. But I cannot sit in my armchair and claim "I know why he did this and it's clear why". The simple answer is, you don't.

Seriously, people don't need to make things up. They don't need to try draw parallels to events which aren't parallels. They don't need to try and force interpretations either. It's Donald Trump - he's provided all the evidence you need.

Cheap shots like these probably feed his following or even enhance it as they're easily provable as BS. It's lazy, pathetic, and probably increases his popularity as people see through it (unless you see what you want to see :P ).

Instead make his supports face, head on, his claims and his garbage.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:30

Chips wrote:...You think it's pretty clear in order to fit with what you want others to think. I don't like Trump at all. But I cannot sit in my armchair and claim "I know why he did this and it's clear why". The simple answer is, you don't.

Seriously, people don't need to make things up. They don't need to try draw parallels to events which aren't parallels. They don't need to try and force interpretations either. It's Donald Trump - he's provided all the evidence you need.

Cheap shots like these probably feed his following or even enhance it as they're easily provable as BS. It's lazy, pathetic, and probably increases his popularity as people see through it (unless you see what you want to see :P ).

Instead make his supports face, head on, his claims and his garbage.
I have no "political dog in this fight." In other words, I have no desire to make statements based on any politically motivated intent.

It's my opinion, stated exactly as it was written and truly nothing more. Now, do I "know" this for a fact? No, that's impossible at our current level of technology. I can no more know exactly what he was thinking at the time than I can know what any other person is actually thinking.

But, I believe what I wrote to be reasonably true, given what I know and my current opinions are of Trump and his likely personal motivations.

(PS: I think the entire field of current front-runner candidates are on a race to the bottom and none of them are suitable to hold the office they're running for. There could be outside candidates, though I don't know of any, that could be suitable, but they just don't get the press coverage, so I can't emphatically state that there are "none." But, it does look that way.)

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 14:41

Dragoongfa wrote:Economy and Jobs, which are the leading arguments in his speeches.
Yep. The ones who are worried about him emulating Hitler are the ones who have internalized the media narrative. Take your time to watch several of his speeches in their entirety (a daunting task, I'll admit) and you'll see that the person he most resembles is Silvio Berlusconi :D. Is there a reason to worry about Trump? Of course, he's in it for himself. But chances are he will not last long in office (I guess for the sake of argument we're assuming here that Democrats won't win the White House, which they probably will). But remember, Berlusconi won three elections and Italy is still standing.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Return to “Off Topic English”