Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by red assassin » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 00:57

BaronVerde wrote:
Sat, 26. Jun 21, 21:45
WSL2 is a stripped kernel implementation, it is not a VM, it uses a downsized VM as a shim for performance reasons. And I am nitpicking and in smart ass mode :-) There's a Microsot document describing the principle, whose link I've lost. But you don't need it the WSL when you can have the real thing with little effort (download an image, copy to a stick, and boot it). For running elfs on Windows, but ok, who cares ?
Again, WSL2 is literally the Linux kernel as a Hyper-V VM. "WSL 2 uses the latest and greatest in virtualization technology to run a Linux kernel inside of a lightweight utility virtual machine (VM)" (You can look at the source on Github and verify that yes, that's a mainline Linux kernel with a few patches.) There's a lot of integration helpers to make the experience more streamlined than a typical VM, but that's all it is under the hood.
Windows isn't exactly the first choice OS when it comes to security, it is holey as a kitchen sieve and relies on closed source and constant patching. It plays no or marginal role outside of the enduser market and on the PC platform, simply because it comes pre-installed and people these days don't install their OSes any more, and of course because of perfect marketing and spreading some FUD about unavilability of software, etc..
I'm as big a Linux advocate as anybody, but this is nonsense. Windows is still a major player in the corporate server world and absolutely dominant for corporate workstations, and it's just as secure as Linux, if not more. Perceptions of its lack of security come primarily from a) its popularity making it a great big target, and b) historically having been rather slow to catch up to that fact. But Microsoft have been investing incredibly heavily in security for years now and Windows provides an excellent suite of defence in depth security measures. If you switched out every end user Windows PC for a Linux one right now and left the OS security untouched on both, users' security would get worse, not better. (Linux-based platforms like Chromebooks and Android are better, but that's the tradeoff that comes from having a locked-down platform with additional restrictions and security measures in place.)

edit:
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 27. Jun 21, 00:43
Linux constantly lags the industry in adoption of new technologies. How long did it take for Linux to natively support WPA encryption? IF there was even a driver available for your wireless NIC. I've seen the same thing for SATA and SAS HBAs and new generations of CPUs, on and on. Manufacturers always release windows drivers first and deal with MS before they even consider Linux, and that's even IF they do at all. You end up a lot of the times waiting on some basement dweller to reverse engineer a windows driver to get a hacky work around to cooperate in Linux.

Look, I'll admit that Linux is fine if you wanna try to get a few more years out of dated hardware or you have some single use device like a firewall or DNS server or some such you wanna run on a discrete device. But general use and day to day use.... newp.
This is also nonsense, though. It's not the 00s any more. You do get occasional issues with esoteric bits of hardware like biometric security in laptops and things, which is still kinda the domain of random hobbyists reverse engineering drivers, but claiming popular mainstream things like new CPU generations have issues is obviously absurd. New CPUs get rolled out in colossal numbers to cloud hosting providers which run Linux virtualisation stacks and Intel and AMD both commit a lot of code to the Linux kernel.

As far as your random end user goes, honestly, Linux and Windows are generally both fine. People tend to be more used to Windows because of popularity, but that doesn't make Linux unsuitable. Most users are mostly just using a web browser these days anyway. For gaming, sure, Linux is still a pain and I still mostly game on Windows, though Proton is surprisingly good these days. For corporate applications, both have their pros and cons in different situations. We don't need to have religious wars about operating systems! Most of the really bad ones are dead now! (IoT aside, anyway.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 01:40

Linux is in forefront technology wise in o so many fields. Except for gaming, but the world's bigger than that ;-)

@red assassin: web servers are 80% Linux, 20% other, mainframes, apart from IBM z/OS are Linux, supercomputers are all Linux, maybe some Unix dinos around, idk. Enterprise servers - I don't trust the statistics as they are based on what was sold, but that doesn't mean it is what is actually run. Microsoft market share is overblown because many manufactureres sell Windows with their prodcts without an option to, well, opt out, though that's improving.

I have an old laptop and an old pc (sold as a 'server') around with windows licenses that never ran windows, but add to the statistics of OEM licenses, and I am not the only one. Linux otoh has no licensing, so they simply don't appear in the statistic. In other word, a statistic of sold licenses covers mostly, well, sold licenses.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 01:49

I work with corporate networks. I'm not going to try and offer statistics for all servers because as you say it's hard, but Windows Server is still incredibly common, and Azure managed services (Office 365, Azure Active Directory, etc etc) are very popular and all Windows backed.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 02:13

I can provide some stats:

https://i.imgur.com/2SvVFRe.png

of those 170k windows devices:

https://i.imgur.com/SChg6ov.png

We have to comply with HIPPA and PCI regulations. Pretty sure we couldn't comply if we weren't able to secure our environment due to leaky windows or leaky tpms... just sayin'
Last edited by Terre on Sun, 27. Jun 21, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 03:43

More stats to watch out for when buying pcs. Not new but maybe more common 1Rx16 slower ram vs 1Rx8 regular ram. Might be up to 20% speed difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7CO9v9rpOk

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 09:33

Should the I have the most inferior operating system contest have a thread of its own? It is not news, really.
For the record, I fell into the GNU Emacs camp a long ago ...
burger1 wrote:
Sun, 27. Jun 21, 03:43
More stats to watch out for when buying pcs.
A major point in the video is that those stats are hard to see, when buying.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 09:52

Existence of a prior postulated new type of supernove has been confirmed.

Pop science:
https://www.space.com/new-supernova-type-discovery

Paper:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-021-01384-2

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 15:04

The Trump thread is a bit buried now, but things have been happening since the last update. (and this isn't directly linked to Trump himself but his organisation)

For a while now the DA office in New York has been looking into Trump Org, like tax evasion and other stuff. It then went to the grand jury and today Indictments have been issued against trump org executives and Trump's chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg. He has also surrendered himself today. (that might not mean he has flipped, but then again if he does, Trump will be finished) While the indictments aren't going for Trump himself yet. This is probably the start, not the end. so expect a good deal more.

Maybe a new Trump thread might be a good idea? depending on how things start to hot up. As there not been much happening with Trump per say. So nothing really news worthy. but this is news worthy and worth posting about.

I personally hope that Allen Weisselberg flips, if he does, then Trump will be well and truly finished. So while he has remained loyal to Trump for a long time and hasn't flipped up to now. This new development may indicate things may change. And he will know every little dirty secret. So bringing him over will finish Trump once and for all.
=

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 20:14

matthewfarmery wrote:
Thu, 1. Jul 21, 15:04
Maybe a new Trump thread might be a good idea?
No.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 22. Jul 21, 07:01

People are claiming Amazons new MMO beta version of New World is killing high end gpus (rtx 3090 ftw, and some other cards) . Load screens/menu/launcher have no fps limit? Might be able to turn on vsync in nvidia control panel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLyNFrKyG74

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 22. Jul 21, 10:13

burger1 wrote:
Thu, 22. Jul 21, 07:01
People are claiming Amazons new MMO beta version of New World is killing high end gpus (rtx 3090 ftw, and some other cards) . Load screens/menu/launcher have no fps limit? Might be able to turn on vsync in nvidia control panel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLyNFrKyG74
That's the reason why I don't buy games on release or EA anymore - better wait 2-3 months for first sales discounts and all initial patches.

Plus I noticed that somehow for many games (X4 included) in last 2-3 years the most issues are with new high end GPUs.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 00:59

The issue is speculatively with a batch of one manufacturers 3090 graphics cards overheating. They may be replaced under warranty.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3626349 ... -3090.html

Speculation mine: not only software has early betas these days ... :roll: If people actually pay >1,500 funds for a graphics card instead of watiting until the storm is over, I'm wondering why we don't have more of these cases 8)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 10:53

A disc in which moons can form has been detected around a planet by combining data from ALMA and the VLT.

Press release (paper in the links):
https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2111/
The [...] circumplanetary disc surrounds the exoplanet PDS 70c, one of two giant, Jupiter-like planets orbiting a star nearly 400 light-years away.

[...] found that the disc has about the same diameter as the distance from our Sun to the Earth and enough mass to form up to three satellites the size of the Moon.
With the observation they can test theories of planet- and moon-formation processes, for
" it is still unclear when, where, and how planets and moons form
They say that once the humonguous E-ELT is operational, much higher resolutions can be achieved.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 23:09

I recall a few months ago reading about start system, where 3xJupiter mass planet is orbited by Neptune size moon and it's possible, that the moon could also have stable moons itself (just the orbital calculation, no real observation yet).

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 00:54

Branson and Bezos branded as space tourists rather than astronauts: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57950149

Seems reasonable to me.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 03:43

WOW (pun intended) I'm surprised that no one (mind you not many left here) has mentioned what's currently happening with the Activision|Blizzard saga. As it turns out that Activision|Blizzard is not exactly the nicest place to work especially if you are a women as Californian powers that be are suing them for some pretty attrocious and nasty working conditions towards women. Activision|Blizzard and especially J. Allen Brack are trying to sweep it under the carpet, denying that any of the allegations are true, while a massive amount of current and ex employeees are confirming the allegations. There has been mass demonstrations inside WOW itself and a lot more cancelled subscriptions, with a growing voice that J. Allen Brack should resign over the issue, especially since he made a statement on the subject which many are calling an empty pathetic and false statement. Pesonally I haven't had anything to do with Activision|Blizzard since that Honk Kong Blitzchung fiasco and I can't see that changing anyting soon.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 29. Jul 21, 10:57

Today ist Earth Overshoot Day

https://www.overshootday.org/
[...] marks the date when humanity’s demand for ecological resources and services in a given year exceeds what Earth can regenerate in that year.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 2. Aug 21, 18:17

felter wrote:
Sat, 24. Jul 21, 03:43
WOW (pun intended) I'm surprised that no one (mind you not many left here) has mentioned what's currently happening with the Activision|Blizzard saga. As it turns out that Activision|Blizzard is not exactly the nicest place to work especially if you are a women as Californian powers that be are suing them for some pretty attrocious and nasty working conditions towards women. Activision|Blizzard and especially J. Allen Brack are trying to sweep it under the carpet, denying that any of the allegations are true, while a massive amount of current and ex employeees are confirming the allegations. There has been mass demonstrations inside WOW itself and a lot more cancelled subscriptions, with a growing voice that J. Allen Brack should resign over the issue, especially since he made a statement on the subject which many are calling an empty pathetic and false statement. Pesonally I haven't had anything to do with Activision|Blizzard since that Honk Kong Blitzchung fiasco and I can't see that changing anyting soon.
I've been loosely following this and I can't say I'm surprised to see these things come to light. I've known a couple of Blizz employees over the years and I never really got the impression from them they loved working there because of the people they worked with. Neither of them stayed with Blizz for very long and took other tech jobs. I never got any specifics as to what their conflicts were with their coworkers but this situation would certainly fit.

Whatever the outcome, I hope to see some resolution for the victims, especially for the family of the woman that killed herself. And further I hope that this spurs change within the industry as a whole as this is not just a problem at Blizzard/Activision.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 2. Aug 21, 20:02

At first I thought it was just another overblew twitter drama by oversensitive snoflakes, but there are more and more disgusting rumors coming out of Blizzard.

I don't have high hopes for justice for victims - I recall similar situation was in Ubisoft and it was shrug under the carpet (albeit the Blizzard rumors makes Ubisoft seems like nice place).

One "funny" thing I realized.
Today at my company there was annual sensivity training and I was always laughing off this as "who even need this? or Who do the situation like these".
I wasn't laughing anymore when I realized, that it makes waaaaaaaay too much sence, when you think about Blizzard-like environment.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 3. Aug 21, 00:11

I don't think they are the same. As far as I know, Ubisoft are not facing any legal prosecutions over what was going on there, it was supposedly being taken care of all in house which has turned out to be a joke and a quick sweep under the carpet job. While Activision|Blizzard are being actively sued by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and will have to some day answer for their actions in a court of law.

The other thing is shareholders, while both companies are publicly traded the Majority of Ubisofts shares are held by the Guillemot family and all major position are all but held by family members, so they do not fear the shareholders, for there to be any kind of action against the Guillemot family from the shareholders, their own family would have to vote against them and that is not going to happen any time soon.

While Activision|Blizzard, there is no single major shareholder and currently right now Bobby Kotick is not liked by a minority of those shareholders, and it wouldn't take much to turn that minority into a majority. Also, things are not currently going to good for Blizzard, WOW their golden egg was seeing a mass exodus of it's paying customers before this all started, due to the likes of Asmongold and others quitting wow and moving over to FF14. And last week, another big name WOW streamer, Preach, packed it in and is no longer playing or streaming the game. So I reckon Activision|Blizzard are going to be going through a pretty rough time, which will also piss off the shareholders.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”