Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 11:20

As has already been anticipated by seismics and ground mevement, the Fagrawhatever (lost the copy buffer :roll: ) volcano on Iceland has started to erupt. I only find stupid news items for now, but I'll keep half an eye on it for when there's something official.

Edit: Fagradalsfjall. Don't drink and speak :wink: . Unlikely to elvolve into an explosive eruption 8)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 13:43

BaronVerde wrote:
Sat, 20. Mar 21, 11:20
I only find stupid news items for now, but I'll keep half an eye on it for when there's something official.
This is not much in the way of a news article, but it's a rather cool piece of video of the eruption.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 20. Mar 21, 15:37

Cool indeed :-)

Icelandic Met Office blog:
https://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/eart ... -peninsula

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 18:42

Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 19:30

The number of people wandering casually around the leading edge of the lava flows is... interesting.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 20:20

When I posted the link earlier, there was a helicopter parked right where the bottom of the lava edge is now, so it is definitely growing and it's interesting watching a new mountain being born. I suspect a lot of the ones wandering around the edge, were/are scientists and monitors but I bet there are more than a few idiot tourists too.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sun, 21. Mar 21, 22:45

Yeah, they seem to know what they are doing, and when sulphurous air may become a problem.

This seems to be a purely effusive eruption, and this morning it was said it's weakening for the moment. From gases and lava composition one can say if there a risk of an explosion. Of course, if seawater reaches the magma, that'll be a bad day, but there seems to be no imminent danger for now.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ethan13

Post by Ethan13 » Tue, 23. Mar 21, 13:24

Toronto-based designer, artist and architect Krista Kim created a virtual home on Mars and sold it for real money. Initially, she asked for 30 Ethereum, but as a result of the auction, she received 288 Ethereum, which is now equivalent to $ 515,459. The NFT of this piece was bought through the SuperRare platform by a user under the nickname @artontheinternet.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:01

Containership clots trade artery Suez Canal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -evergreen

There are a lot of dynamic forces acting on a ship in such an environment. My bet: though they blame winds, I think they were a bit too fast underway. Just 1 little knot, water on side passing faster than on the other, and no rudder is stronger than Bernoulli :-)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:19

I would be surprised if a ship that big using the Canal would not have had a professional Canal pilot. Whilst I do think that it probably was mostly down to wind conditions, I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of control mechanism for such high and large slab vessels during forecast adverse winds. Rather like that for high-sided vehicles going over some exposed suspension bridges during high crosswind conditions.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:37

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:19
I would be surprised if a ship that big using the Canal would not have had a professional Canal pilot. Whilst I do think that it probably was mostly down to wind conditions, I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of control mechanism for such high and large slab vessels during forecast adverse winds. Rather like that for high-sided vehicles going over some exposed suspension bridges during high crosswind conditions.
Yeah, I too think there is a large set of procedures to follow, including licensing, piloting, ship spacing and ordering, traffic control and supervision etc. I wouldn't assume that a ship just enters and sails through. It is a narrow path, there isn't much water under the keel and at the sides, it is highly 'bernoullic', humorously said. Once things go dynamic not even a divine intervention will help :-)

There'll surely be an accident report, on day.

Edit: Yes, there are a few rules to observe 8) https://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/English/Na ... ation.aspx

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 15:22

The ship in question apparently has a sizeable bulbous bow (this isn't the same ship, but it appears to be the same design, and you can see the bow on the Ever Stuck Given here:
https://i.imgur.com/ULtqj4z.png

Compare with the photo of the front in the article:
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/dcbd407e ... bb4bace871

Ruh roh.

Bonus:
https://twitter.com/ZainaErhaim/status/ ... 2308567042
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 24. Mar 21, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized images replaced with links
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 15:35

Here's a toolset:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/tanga-images/2822e6b9246f.jpeg

Junkies down in Brooklyn are going crazy ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 15:58

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 14:01
There are a lot of dynamic forces acting on a ship in such an environment. My bet: though they blame winds, I think they were a bit too fast underway. Just 1 little knot, water on side passing faster than on the other, and no rudder is stronger than Bernoulli :-)
If anything, going too *slowly* would be an issue more than going too quickly--there's a minimum speed the ship has to be travelling at (called "steerage way") for the rudder to work effectively.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 16:31

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 24. Mar 21, 15:58
If anything, going too *slowly* would be an issue more than going too quickly--there's a minimum speed the ship has to be travelling at (called "steerage way") for the rudder to work effectively.
True for the open water, but that speed is very low, those boats have thrusters, and here we're talking about confinement in narrow waterways with their own dynamics. Or, in short, when going too fast the rudder won't save you, if it is moveable at all even by the hydraulics against the dynamic forces created by pressure waves and waterflow.

Example text: http://www.porousmedia.nl/nfcmr/natuur/ ... 0ships.pdf

A lot of work has been done on this. And the video below shows how 'convincing' the dynamics can be to ships passing at too high speeds edit in confined waterways. Similar accidents, including collisions with embankment, are frequently in the accident reports of collisions in narrow waterways and canals.

Here the pressure waves between the hulls and the banks in conjunction with accelerated flow between the ships causes a colliosion, and not even the high speed of that Hapag Lloyd ship makes the rudder effective. They were just too fast (probably because of failures that happened before the weird maneuver).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ocTTkHqQcg

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 08:04

The Event Horizon Telescope (those guys who made an interferometer the size of the earth and published the first image of the direct vicinity of a black hole) has published the first ever visualisation of the magnetic field near that same black hole. This helps understand how a region the size of the solar system can produce gas jets that extend 10s of thousands of light years into space.

Link (papers at the end):
https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/ ... black-hole

Isn't there a system in X4 with an accretion disk and a swirling jet ? :-)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 14:45

SCA said it could take days and up to a week to free the stuck ship.

See ? I've always said the Incarcachua is a bit unwieldy :-)

(Suez Canal Authority)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

berth
x4

Post by berth » Thu, 25. Mar 21, 23:07

Surprised nobody has posted about this but LHC results could hint at the discovery of lepto-quarks: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56491033

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 00:40

berth wrote:
Thu, 25. Mar 21, 23:07
Surprised nobody has posted about this but LHC results could hint at the discovery of lepto-quarks: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56491033
Eh, it's three sigma. It could end up being something super exciting, sure, and there have been other experimental results in the past vaguely hinting in the same direction, but three sigma results in particle physics disappear a lot. (I'm reminded in particular here of the 750GeV bump from a few years back, and that one was nearly 4 sigma when it was announced.) I sort of get the impression that a combination of hints of this particular sort of symmetry violation having existed for a while, plus it being lockdown and everyone desperately looking for good news, have produced a little bit more excitement than is really justified by the evidence at this point. I do of course hope it does survive with more evidence, but I'm reserving my excitement until that happens.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 26. Mar 21, 09:46

Yeah, agreed. Hence I didn't start a new thread ;)

Return to “Off Topic English”